• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I think this is where your confusion is coming from: the PS+ Collection is a new thing for PS5 owners. It didn't exist before. It's not the regular rotation of monthly games. Literally 25 seconds into the announcement:

1drDTzH.png
For PS5. Not for PS5 owners. I don't see anywhere that state that you can't claim the game if you borrow the PS5 temporarily.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
How is claiming the games using your own account with PS+ on a PS5 an exploit?
Was it on your own purchased PS5? Then no it's not an exploit. Was someone accepting friends' and acquantainces' PSN authentication over a messaging service (against the rules), signing into those accounts (also against the rules), and then claiming the games? Then yes, it was an exploit. Was someone who knew they weren't allowed to download the games on their PS5 going to a friend's house and signing onto their system to specifically get around the restriction? Then it's an exploit. The very definition of an exploit is doing something that the system allows that is against the rules.

I would say there might be 0.001% of the people who did this that didn't know they were exploiting a loophole. Because that would be such a rare situation, someone happened to be logged into their friend's PS5 on their own account to play a multiplayer PS4 game both owned, and while they were logged in saw the PSN+ Collection for PS5 there and decided to claim the games while they were there. That's literally the only way I can think of that someone might do this without knowing they were exploiting a loophole.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was it on your own purchased PS5? Then no it's not an exploit. Was someone accepting friends' and acquantainces' PSN authentication (against the rules), signing into those accounts (also against the rules), and then claiming the games? Then yes, it was an exploit. Was someone who knew they weren't allowed to download the games on their PS5 going to a friend's house and signing onto their system to specifically get around the restriction? Then it's an exploit. I would say there might be 0.001% of the people who did this that didn't know they were exploiting a loophole. Because that would be such a rare situation, someone happened to be logged into their friend's PS5 on their own account to play a multiplayer PS4 game both owned, and while they were logged in saw the PSN+ Collection for PS5 there and decided to claim the games while they were there. That's literally the only way I can think of that someone might do this without knowing they were exploiting a loophole.

So if my brother owns the PS5, I logged in using my account with PS+, claimed the games, did I commit an exploit there? Does it say it that I have to OWN the PS5 for it not to be an exploit? Who is to prove the PS5 isn't mine or wasn't purchased/shared by many people? Who is to determine that authentication wasn't done by the owner of the account himself? Isn't that the purpose of having two factor authentication so that authentication has to be approved by the account owner himself? It's not a loophole nor an exploit if again the fine print says you need a PS+ subscription and a PS5 to claim the games. Again, those conditions were met. Nothing was circumvented.

Funny thing is Sony allows a SINGLE ACCOUNT to be logged in at the SAME TIME using PS3, Vita, PS4, and PS5. Did I share authentication of my account with another person? Did I take advantage of an exploit there? Should my account be banned because of that?

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you want to play with semantics, sure, let's do that. From the same announcement trailer:

cqbdsf4.png

Your PS5.

How do you know it's not mine?

Also if I own the PS5, claimed the games then access the entire collection on my PS4, should I be banned? Semantics say the entire collection should be accessed on a PS5, not PS4.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So if my brother owns the PS5, I logged in using my account with PS+, claimed the games, did I commit an exploit there? Does it say it that I have to OWN the PS5 for it not to be an exploit? Who is to prove the PS5 isn't mine or wasn't purchased/shared by many people? Who is to determine that authentication wasn't done by the owner of the account himself? Isn't that the purpose of having two factor authentication so that authentication has to be approved by the account owner himself? It's not a loophole nor an exploit if again the fine print says you need a PS+ subscription and a PS5 to claim the games. Again, those conditions were met. Nothing was circumvented.

Funny thing is Sony allows a SINGLE ACCOUNT to be logged in at the SAME TIME using PS3, Vita, PS4, and PS5. Did I share authentication of my account with another person? Did I take advantage of an exploit there? Should my account be banned because of that?
Yes, from September 16:

For PlayStation Plus members, we'll have a special new offering on PS5 – the PlayStation Plus Collection**. PS5 owners with PS Plus will be able to download and play a curated library of PS4 games that defined the generation, like Batman Arkham Knight, Bloodborne, Fallout 4, God of War, Monster Hunter: World, Persona 5 and many more. The PS Plus Collection will be an added benefit to the existing PS4 benefits that PS Plus members receive for a single subscription price.

Are you a PS5 owner with PS Plus? If not, then it's an exploit.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020

Nobody is being banned because of logging once or twice on another console to get the games. There are people making a profit selling the collection to other people and this goes against the terms of the console (there was even a famous Brazilian streamer doing this for people who signed to his twitch)

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I would reckon that the vast majority of countries are more known for it being a shit show of a pre-order. Some countries let people pre-order before even the showcase, which wasn't the case here in America, thus, why everybody is saying what they're saying.

That tells me the system is flawed, and should be improved. There's no reason why it couldn't be done elsewhere just as well as it's done here.

You are extremely lucky; in most of the world preordering the system before Sony officially opened preorders was literally impossible. You can't just say only people who weren't thinking ahead didn't get one, make it sound like they were stupid because they were trying to "impulse buy one right now" while you were "wise". Sony doesn't allow early preorders, same as Apple, same as Microsoft, same as many other electronics companies. A store offering a preorder early is basically asking the manufacturer to not send them any at all, so those preorders will be void.

Perhaps I was lucky to be born in Finland, since that's how it's been from the PS2 days. Not to mention, that preorders don't require any advance payments. It's a pro-consumer mentality, that applies to many others things as well, and I hope it'll never change.

I can definitely say, that people here who didn't get the system at launch weren't thinking ahead, since they had the same opportunity to get one as I did. It is stupid to complain about it when it's too late. After all, preordering well in advance has been a thing over here for two decades, if not longer, so they couldn't have been oblivious about it. It's all on them, not anyone else. Just like it would have been my own fault, if I had done the same. Good planning triumphs over impulsivity as usual.

Looking at the comments on the local PlayStation Facebook page, it's painfully obvious the impulsive types just have to put the blame on something else than themselves. The comment sections have become unbearable manchild whining here after the launch.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. You can access the entire collection on your PS5.
I still don't see anywhere that state that you can't claim the games if you borrow the PS5 temporarily.
Look man, if can't afford a PS5, then you don't deserve to play the hottest games of...

*checks notes*

Ha ha! Suck it poors!

So what I'm taking from this is that, yes, my girlfriend should eat a ban for redeeming those games on my PS5 to play on her PS4.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
That tells me the system is flawed, and should be improved. There's no reason why it couldn't be done elsewhere just as well as it's done here.

Perhaps I was lucky to be born in Finland, since that's how it's been from the PS2 days. Not to mention, that preorders don't require any advance payments. It's a pro-consumer mentality, that applies to many others things as well, and I hope it'll never change.

I can definitely say, that people here who didn't get the system at launch weren't thinking ahead, since they had the same opportunity to get one as I did. It is stupid to complain about it when it's too late. After all, preordering well in advance has been a thing over here for two decades, if not longer, so they couldn't have been oblivious about it. It's all on them, not anyone else. Just like it would have been my own fault, if I had done the same. Good planning triumphs over impulsivity as usual.

Looking at the comments on the local PlayStation Facebook page, it's painfully obvious the impulsive types just have to put the blame on something else than themselves. The comment sections have become unbearable manchild whining here after the launch.
Again, you are insulting people on Era for not doing something literally impossible. Unless you are saying US, Canadian, German, Japanese, etc. gamers should all have been wise and moved to Finland :) Frankly, given the state of the US this year (and really the last 4 years), that's not really a bad thing to expect us to have done...

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, from September 16:

For PlayStation Plus members, we'll have a special new offering on PS5 – the PlayStation Plus Collection**. PS5 owners with PS Plus will be able to download and play a curated library of PS4 games that defined the generation, like Batman Arkham Knight, Bloodborne, Fallout 4, God of War, Monster Hunter: World, Persona 5 and many more. The PS Plus Collection will be an added benefit to the existing PS4 benefits that PS Plus members receive for a single subscription price.

So in my example, brothers owns PS5 but I have the PS+ account, I should be banned then?

Nobody is being banned because of logging once or twice on another console to get the games. There are people making a profit selling the collection to other people and this goes against the terms of the console (there was even a famous Brazilian streamer doing this for people who signed to his twitch)

You actually just need to log in once on another console to claim the games.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So in my example, brothers owns PS5 but I have the PS+ account, I should be banned then?
Going strictly by the rules, yes. One of the things Sony allows is sharing certain Playstation Plus account features with family members. Redeeming the free games on their accounts from the primary console (which is the only console that is allowed to share any features at all) is specifically listed as NOT allowed. But then, nobody is getting banned for that, yet.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
You know most of the world didn't have pre-orders open until September, right? On top of that, a date and time were given for those pre-orders, and retailers proceeded to jump the gun and put them up sporadically before the official time. Like, you're shitting on people for not "planning ahead", as if they actually had the ability to put in a pre-order before the price was even announced.

Again, you are insulting people on Era for not doing something literally impossible. Unless you are saying US, Canadian, German, Japanese, etc. gamers should all have been wise and moved to Finland :) Frankly, given the state of the US this year (and really the last 4 years), that's not really a bad thing to expect us to have done...

You know I was talking about the local situation, and you're taking it like I'm shitting on you over there in US or somewhere else. People here had the ability to place a preorder a long before September. They chose not to do so, yet apparently they can't accept the consequences for that choice.

Where exactly was I insulting US, Canadian, German, Japanese, etc. people on Era? By pointing out that something was handled better here, and saying those Finnish players who didn't take advantage of the opportunity had no right to complain about it afterwards? Don't try to distort what I said to suit your narrative.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I take it that you thought "people here" meaning Era, when I was talking about people here in Finland

Last edited:

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between breaking the rules to help out a friend or family member and extreme exploitation of the system for profit to dozens of people at a time.

I think Sony knows the difference and doesn't care if you give a friend access to the collection, nor should anybody.

Like, I'll let my brother use my Netflix log-in but I'm not selling access to it on the internet.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't about people using it the way it's meant to be used, or anywhere near defensibly used. It looks like they have way more than the reasonable amount of leeway built-in and yet...

fxjn2ek.jpg

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I feel like maybe some folks should stop with the disingenuous examples (similar to mine) where a PS5 in the same household as a PS4 belonging to two different people should "technically" qualify as a ban.

Or where someone with a PS5 activates a friends or relatives PS4 as their home one.

The OPs example is clearly a case where a ban is warranted. Come on.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
You know I was talking about the local situation, and you're taking it like I'm shitting on you over there in US or somewhere else. People here had the ability to place a preorder a long before September. They chose not to do so, yet apparently they can't accept the consequences for that choice.

Where exactly was I insulting US, Canadian, German, Japanese, etc. people on Era? By pointing out that something was handled better here, and saying those Finnish players who didn't take advantage of the opportunity had no right to complain about it afterwards? Don't try to distort what I said to suit your narrative.
You said "The comment sections have become unbearable manchild whining here after the launch." I assumed by "here" you were talking about Era. I see I was mistaken.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
If you have PS+, you get everything on PS+ was how it was before. No 'log in on this to get that'.
This literally didn't exist before. It's a NEW benefit for PS5 Owners who have PS+. Stop pretending like referencing old policy applies to something specifically created for a new console.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
You said "The comment sections have become unbearable manchild whining here after the launch." I assumed by "here" you were talking about Era. I see I was mistaken.

I meant the local FB page's comment sections. Every damn post about PS5 games is met with "but I can't play it". Some of them apparently feel that the PS5 marketing rubs it in their noses, and even say Sony shouldn't advertise the system at all until it's just as available at stores as frying pans or whatnot. It's never been this bad, and I don't know if it's just about social media, or people becoming more entitled than they were in 2013.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Make enough then. Tons of people WANT to buy a PS5. If you can't make enough, let the people who already have PS+ accounts and a back order for a PS5 access these games.
Aren't all these games on the PS4? If someone wants to play Days Gone or Persona I'm sure they could get it. Haven't they been on sale plenty of times.

I also think there's a reason they couldn't make a ton more.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Was going to let my friend sign in on my PS5 for these games, but now I'm scared I'll be banned for it :/

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was going to let my friend sign in on my PS5 for these games, but now I'm scared I'll be banned for it :/

Tbh they can't do anything I think. What if you and your friend actually bought the Ps5 together? It's not like there's a 1 user limit rule per console in this thing.

The user that got banned logged in more than 50 accounts in a single PS5, so surely this raises a red flag for Sony, not someone doing for a few friends.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that this involves the PS Plus Collection seems immaterial to me. People are sharing their accounts with strangers and money is changing hands in the process, that's a pretty big no-no.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
its just if you abuse it with abnormally high amount of accounts? if for example i let one friend to sign in to claim the games it should be fine right?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Go through any thread on the PS Plus Collection on this forum from its announcement to the PS5 launch. The question of whether PS4 users would be able to access it was up in the air for months. It was not made clear that this benefit would be exclusive to PS5 owners, only that PS5 users would have access to it. No one definitively knew until this month.

Considering the precedent Sony set last generation with PS4 and PS Vita titles on the Instant Game Collection, you cannot blame people for assuming that the same would be true this generation.

Not only that but they removed the ps vita and ps3 games without out replacing them with anything else.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Just to clear things up, I don't think anyones advocating for people to be banned because they logged in on a friends ps5 to claim the games.

I'm pretty sure the sticking point here is that people were making money off it. Selling the ability to log in on the ps5.

I also think Sony gave everyone enough of a heads up and clearly communicated that this was for PS5 owners. But to each their own.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility
All these bootlickers trying to justify the gatekeeping on this PS5 'perk'. If Sony were that bothered, as others have said, they would have made PS5 skus of those PS4 titles. It's their fault for leaving the door open.

The problem I have is that they are PS+ games, so if a customer is paying for PS+ then there shouldn't be an issue. The idea that it's an incentive for buying a PS5 is lame. It's like paying for Prime but only being able to watch certain films if you buy Amazons dongle to use the service.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
The entitlement in here is hilarious. Sony made the collection as a bonus for PS5 owners, that's pretty clear. Why would they give it for all PS+ users?

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm gonna have to test that out but I'm almost certain yes

You won't be playing on the same account

You, as the PS5 owner, would be playing on your acct (the acct that owns the shared game)

The other PS4 has to be activated as your account's Home PS4, but once it is, anyone who's signed into that PS4 can play your games that have been downloaded to it

So they'd just play on their own account on your 'Home' PS4
I can confirm this.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
I'm gonna have to test that out but I'm almost certain yes

You won't be playing on the same account

You, as the PS5 owner, would be playing on your acct (the acct that owns the shared game)

The other PS4 has to be activated as your account's Home PS4, but once it is, anyone who's signed into that PS4 can play your games that have been downloaded to it

So they'd just play on their own account on your 'Home' PS4

You can actually play the same account on PS5 and PS4 at the same time. So, in essence, with one account, you can have 4 different users access the game.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong? Different outlets say different things. I'll have to test it myself.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
I hope I dont risk too get banned if my son plays the collection games on his account on my Pro (where my account is main account.)