• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not American and I'll sometimes tip delivery drivers, but it's mostly out of some oddly placed guilt that I have to.

Most of the time I'm getting a delivery I don't have cash on me, in fact I rarely if ever had cash on me any more it''s just not needed.
People don't understand that, most of the time I don't have money to tip, they don't accept tips online either.

I usually order when I'm working night shifts to work, or when I can't physically go outside like when I injured my foot for a week and the idea I'd have to pay a tip each time where all that money could amount to days worth of meals themselves doesn't sit well with me.

Also fuck you, I've got my own money/life problems, delivery drivers and restaurant staff aren't exclusive to these problems.
I've helped pay for a lot of my dads medical equipment and stuff at home, I'll pay for food, sometimes shopping etc, I help look after him a bit with my sibling, I'm doing what I can. We've all got our reasons and it's not as simple as being selfish, but people want to boil it down to simplicities.

I've been on the receiving end of tips rarely , I always say it's not necessary but they basically say "well I'm leaving that on the table so either you take it or someone else will :)". So I shared it with my coworkers, get them coffees, lunch or something. That was my last job.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
User Banned (3 days): Antagonizing other members, history of hostility
Simple: delivery fee? no tipping.
No delivery fee? I'll tip for sure.
As a customer I shouldn't have to pay twice for the delivery, if my delivery money goes to the restaurant instead of the delivery guy that's honestly not my problem and delivery guys should choose a different place to work at.
Maybe your lazy ass should actually get up and walk/drive to your local restaurant so you can stop justifying being a shithead.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I always tip at nice restaurants but never at a pub, bar or for takeaways. I think it's a nice thing but I don't like the idea that I have to do it to supplement someone's income, it should be a nice 'gift' or sorts for good service but shouldn't be so that person can afford to live.
Yeah, that's basically my issue with it. Tipping here in Peru isn't as compulsory, but it still happens fairly often I'd say, but it is not completely ingrained in the culture as it is in the US. Tipping delivery people was never a thing though and it kind of isn't a thing yet, but delivery apps giving you the option to do so might start making it a bit more commonplace.

Oct 29, 2017
To an extent, sure, but employers will always be pushing down. It's up to regulators to decide how far they can push down. In the mind of an employer if they add that expense to their menu then they come across as more expensive than other places who don't. Some restaurants have tried to convert only to have their staff beg them to go back because it was resulting in less business. If everyone has to deal with the same or similar costs, though, that sticker shock goes away.

Businesses aren't a charity, and especially in cutthroat areas like NYC you expect them to do whatever they can to survive. They're not evil, but they're also not kind hearted. This is where regulators, government, and citizens come in.
As previously said, i do agree with you, it does need to come from on high but I disagree with the notion of businesses.

If you're talking about McDonald's, Domino's or some other massive corporation I sort of get it but think they have less or an excuse.

For smaller places, family run, I'd say they have a moral obligation to ensure that their staff can actually live on the provided wages. Businesses are amoral but the people that run them aren't. I get that it's expensive and, once again, I agree with you but I think the mentality needs to change about this.

Surely corporate social responsibility is as vogue in America as it is elsewhere?

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I'm not American and I'll sometimes tip delivery drivers, but it's mostly out of some oddly placed guilt that I have to.

Most of the time I'm getting a delivery I don't have cash on me, in fact I rarely if ever had cash on me any more it''s just not needed.
People don't understand that, most of the time I don't have money to tip, they don't accept tips online either.

I usually order when I'm working night shifts to work, or when I can't physically go outside like when I injured my foot for a week and the idea I'd have to pay a tip each time where all that money could amount to days worth of meals themselves doesn't sit well with me.

Also fuck you, I've got my own money/life problems, delivery drivers and restaurant staff aren't exclusive to these problems.
I've helped pay for a lot of my dads medical equipment and stuff at home, I'll pay for food, sometimes shopping etc, I help look after him a bit with my sibling, I'm doing what I can. We've all got our reasons and it's not as simple as being selfish, but people want to boil it down to simplicities.
Cook your meals and get Tupperware which would be easier and cheaper long term. Stop acting as if you have no other option you entitled jerk.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The delivery person should be able to report people who don't tip so the person can no longer use the service, or at least so other drivers are aware if they don't want to take their business. Give the order-ee a star rating, if it falls too low their service charge is increased to make up for not tipping.
For Uber Eats I'm pretty sure tips aren't shown until later, and aren't attached to a customer's order.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
What does that have to do with anything?

Yup, not American obviously. It has everything to do it. This explains your wrong headed and I am sorry to say clueless posts. Why do you assume your culture is the same as America's? Its not. No offense this is not relevant to you at all, so its weird to see going on about something you don't seem to understand.

Workers in certain positions are paid in America with the understanding they will be tipped. Without tips they are paid well below minimum wage. It's very rude and shitty to not tip, in jobs where they depend on it, and you know they depend on it, and cheap prices depend on it.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
c

I've been on the receiving end of tips rarely , I always say it's not necessary but they basically say "well I'm leaving that on the table so either you take it or someone else will :)". So I shared it with my coworkers, get them coffees, lunch or something. That was my last job.

Thats great.

You know delivery drivers im america are pretty much @ poverty levels...no one is earning a livable wage. You can afford to tip on every other meal. Or just 1 dollar to every person and say its all you have.

Right?

Delivery is a luxury for most folks in a world with 75% of americans living paycheck to paycheck. Its pathetic to know that and still not tip.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh please. If my boss doesn't pay me enough i don't go around asking my clients for donations.

If i pay for delivery i expect the delivery to be priced into the food price. If it isn't that doesn't mean i have to give you extra money.

Notice the "if" so I assume you are paid quite well.

Also yes if you went around delivering food in the rain, heat, or snow, instead of whatever the fuck it is you do, while getting paid a wage you have very little control over, maybe you'd see that it makes sense to tip.

Like yeah instead of taking pride in being an asshole go pick up your own food.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, not American obviously. It has everything to do it. This explains youre wrong headed and I am sorry to say clueless posts. Why do you assume your culture is the same as America's? Its not. No offense this is not relevant to you at all, so its weird to see going on about something you don't seem to understand.

Workers in certain positions are paid in America with the understanding they will be tipped. Without tips they are paid well below minimum wage. This is not relevant to you, and I don't see what place non Americans who are clueless about how it works have a place in this discussion.

Delivery drivers earn less than minimun wage in germany aswell because most of the time they work part time and i still don't tip them. You're letting your boss take advantage of you. Why should i pay for this?

Notice the "if" so I assume you are paid quite well.

Also yes if you went around delivering food in the rain, heat, or snow, instead of whatever the fuck it is you do, while getting paid a wage you have very little control over, maybe you'd see that it makes sense to tip.

Like yeah instead of taking pride in being an asshole go pick up your own food.
I actually delivered pizza when i was in university so i know pretty well how much they make. I still don't tip because i'm not responsible for you being taken advantage of by your boss.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Cook your meals and get Tupperware which would be easier and cheaper long term. Stop acting as if you have no other option you entitled jerk.

You're being unreasonable because you think I don't cook for some odd reason. What gave you that idea?
The last time I did get food delivered at home was because of my injury, nobody would help me and I didn't have enough food at home.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
A lot of delivery apps are also really iffy about tips. Postmates for instance, specifically asks you to not tip in cash. In fact, it doesn't even give you an option of tipping through a receipt. You HAVE to navigate back to your account on the website or app after you receive your actual food. It makes it as difficult as possible.

Oct 27, 2017
wasn't there an article or twitter thread recently that showed GrubHub or another delivery service charges their customers something like $2 and even if the customer tipped $5 or $0, the driver still ended up with only a fraction after GH took their fees out

edit: yes this is the NYT via the verge. NYT and the verge with no paywall

Oh wow fuck that. I don't use these very often but for now on I'm gonna cash tip.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
You said something extremely selfish and got called out on it.

To everyone else saying they just won't tip because it's too expensive with the fees:

Imagine if I made a thread on Gaming about how I think games are worth $40, and I'm going to pirate them until companies price them that way. And it's not my fault, it's the industry's fault for overpricing their games. How would that thread go over?

If you actually gave a shit about anyone else, the choice wouldn't be between tipping or not tipping, it would be between tipping or not using the service at all. I honestly don't care whether people tip or not, it's the entitlement and justifications that are so obnoxious.
Pirating the food would be stealing it without paying for it.

Oct 27, 2017
It boggles my mind that people are so scared of talking to people they would rather use an app and pay a middle man more than what they would of had to tip a driver of the business itself to deliver the food. If you want Taco Bell or some place that doesnt normally deliver i get it, but local places that do delivery i always call.
Yes, people only use those services out of fear. Is this a serious post??? Do you not see the convenience of using 1 service with dozens of restaurants and a common interface over the dozens of different ones that you'd have to enter in all your info for if you ordered directly from each restaurant?

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Thats great.

You know delivery drivers im america are pretty much @ poverty levels...no one is earning a livable wage. You can afford to tip on every other meal. Or just 1 dollar to every person and say its all you have.

Right?

Delivery is a luxury for most folks in a world with 75% of americans living paycheck to paycheck. Its pathetic to know that and still not tip.

Sorry I forgot to add, I do understand the issues in America but I was giving my impression from where I live, which is not America (in my first paragraph).
The problem is because everyone seems to follow america, people where I live are starting to assume we must tip here as well.

I didn't explain that so I apologise.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
honestly, this issue reveals a lot about someone's basic level of empathy v selfishness.

It's a random, low to middle working class person. If you can afford to eat delivery you can afford to throw them a few bucks. If you're against services that are shady with online tips don't use them. There are plenty of alternatives. So you really have no excuse.

Some of y'all are ready to type out so many long ass arguments about why you're justified, when you're really just selfish on this issue. It's so obvious, and I just find it fucking hilarious how ready you are to die arguing over and over that you're not cheap or selfish, when you wouldn't put a few dollars towards a random person. Says a lot about your priorities. Maybe you should put some of that energy towards basic empathy.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I live in NYC and most people I see not tipping are international/foreign. I've had to explain it to them. Fortunately don't know anyone actually from here or nearby that doesn't tip.

I always tip 20% and in cash if possible.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
For smaller places, family run, I'd say they have a moral obligation to ensure that their staff can actually live on the provided wages. Businesses are amoral but the people that run them aren't. I get that it's expensive and, once again, I agree with you but I think the mentality needs to change about this.

Smaller family run businesses are often the most squeezed and have little room for excess. Unlike big businesses they can't spread cost. Yes they should and largely do want their staff to be able to live, but if the choice is close up the business due to loss of revenue or pay less they'll all pay less because they know the other businesses are paying less.

Again, the issue is the competition. If I pay my staff well then I likely have to add that cost to the food items. Then people see that I'm more expensive and possibly order less or go to some other place. Tipping is a way of hiding cost and a lot of people don't take it into account beforehand, even if they do tip.

A lot of the stories of businesses being unsuccessful with changes like this are smaller businesses that want to change things, but it just doesn't work because bigger places like McDonald's can keep undercutting and some other small business can undercut, too.

So to really change things you have to force everyone to change.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Delivery drivers earn less than minimun wage in germany aswell because most of the time they work part time and i still don't tip them. You're letting your boss take advantage of you. Why should i pay for this?

It seems you are confused. Minimum wage is an hourly rate, it doesn't matter if you are part time or not. And Germany's minimum wage applies to part time workers a casual google search shows, so you seem to be wrongly informed.

It works COMPLETELY differently in America. Workers are paid far below the minimum wage in certain positions, that allows for cheaper prices, and the workers make it back up in tips.

Its extremely rude and shitty to not tip these workers. Everyone in America knows this.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I actually delivered pizza when i was in university so i know pretty well how much they make. I still don't tip because i'm not responsible for you being taken advantage of by your boss.

Germany is setup so completely differently than the US in pretty much every single area you can concievably think of that's related to this thread, so your thoughts re US tipping culture really are completely irrelevant.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I always tip, always...it's baked into my budget when I order something and if I think I cant afford to tip, then I don't order. If it's particularly bad weather or very hot/cold, I tip a little but more.

As someone with horrible social anxiety, the person is doing me a great favor, and I always say thanks when my food is handed to me. Ignoring them? Barely opening the door enough to just grab the bag? People are assholes

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Is this specifically a DoorDash issue because my neighbor does deliveries for several of these sites and he always brags how much he makes in a few hours cause he gets a minimum per delivery. I also imagine lots of users are confused by the service fee. What would they think it is other than a tip?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of having a minimum wage then? And how is that legal?

Tip credit laws. Yes they suck. Basically the restaurant can pay you jack shit (like literally almost nothing), as long as with tips you are making more than minimum wage.

Delivery drivers get extra fucked too because generally there is no mileage/gas or car insurance or car maintenance reimbursement.

So yeah they may do ok up front on a busy night in cash but a lot of that is going right into their car.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
It seems you are confused. Minimum wage is an hourly rate, it doesn't matter if you are part time or not. And Germany's minimum wage applies to part time workers a casual google search shows, so you seem to be wrongly informed.

It works COMPLETELY differently in America. Workers are paid far below the minimum wage in certain positions, that allows for cheaper prices, and the workers make it back up in tips.

Its extremely rude and shitty to not tip these workers. Everyone in America knows this.
I should've clarified.

When i worked as a pizza delivery guy worked 15h per week and got like 390€ so yeah that's 6.5€ per h. Way below the minimum wage of 9€ per h. It still doesn't mean i should pay for you being taken advantage of by your boss.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Folks aren't wrong when they're criticizing tipping culture and how delivery workers need to rely on tips to make a livable wage. One is absolutely correct in saying that is a shitty system.

But to then use criticism of that system as a reason for not tipping the delivery worker is just a shitty thing to do. All that does is hurt the delivery worker, not any other part of the system. If you're going to partake in the luxury of delivery and not tip, then you aren't fighting the problem, you are part of the problem.

I'm glad this thread exists because I didn't realize how shifty some companies like DoorDash have been in preventing tip amounts be true tips for drivers - that link was pretty enlightening. I should have been doing it before, but now I'm absolutely going to make sure that every tip is cash even if it means a trip to the bank every few months to spew out some $5 bills from my account for doing just that.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
What's the point of having a minimum wage then? And how is that legal?

That's a completely different issue. It is legal, for certain positions, in almost every state. They have tried changing this, but both customers and even many people in these positions prefer receiving tips. Some of these service workers can make a lot of money on tips. And people seem to like the ability to not tip if the service is bad.

But complaining about how it works, is a different thing to ripping off a worker who you have a social contract with. I understand to non Americans this is strange. Thats my point about different cultures. I find it annoying and inconvenient having to tip. A lot of people do. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be an asshole and short change some hardworking person. You can complain about the system and want it to change, without ripping a worker off.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I should've clarified.

When i worked as a pizza delivery guy worked 15h per week and got like 390€ so yeah that's 6.5€ per h. Way below the minimum wage of 9€ per h. It still doesn't mean i should pay for you being taken advantage of by your boss.

That's 26 euros an hour dude.

Ah, you mean monthly?

Yes, then you were not being paid properly.

I don't see why you want to blame the employee though instead of the employer. Like "get another job" is tired af and just so wrong on so many levels.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"I keep a money clip with roughly $100 worth of one dollar bills specifically used for tipping" hahaha come on man, do you use these to tip after the amazing Italian meal?
I don't carry cash normally so I keep $100 in bills specifically set aside for tipping if I order a large delivery for a party or something. Not sure what you're getting at.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've been delivering for UberEats this summer as a side gig because I'm working part time and have made decent money.

Some days I can make as much as $75 in a span of 3 hours. I made $215 last weekend on a Sunday. It's relatively easy money for what you do, being social and nice to restaurants and customers, driving around and listening to music.

I can't speak for DoorDash but I prefer people tip in app. It's easy and the tips 100% go to me. Tips are appreciated but when it's a teenager or someone young ordering, I don't expect it. But If you're ordering a shit ton of food or if you have overly complicated instructions for drop off, or expect me to go up to your hotel room or apartment building that adds on an extra 5-10 mins, I absolutely expect you to tip. The amount of extra unnecessary time on a trip eats into a drivers hourly possible income. Some people can be very inconsiderate with this.

I drive in the Chicagoland area btw. And you're covered by insurance through the company, also the why would you risk your safety posts are kind of ignorant.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
If you're paying via DoorDash, tip in cash and not through the app. All you're doing is subsidizing what DoorDash has to pay to its employees, and I believe up to $5-6, the driver won't see anymore money via your tipping since DoorDash is paying that to the drivers regardless.

Dec 12, 2017
True, but we live in a country (the US) where they are necessary. If you want to live in a country where they're not necessary then we need to change tipped job minimum wages and regulations first. Then people can stop tipping.
The funny thing is that many states have instituted a minimum wage and in those areas, tipping culture hasn't change in those areas at all. In Seattle, where even waiters make $15, tipping is still the norm.

MidnightMania

Oct 31, 2017
I've used Door Dash many times and never tipped anyone cash because I normally don't carry cash on me at all anyway. If I do it's usually big bills. Can't help that the app takes the money from them.