• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So dumb.

That being said, Tropicana Field is a shithole. And good on the city/region refusing to pay for a new arena when the owner could probably fund it himself.

Oct 25, 2017
I have to think they will eventually move to Montreal for good eventually. Tampa Bay has an awful fanbase despite a decade of excellence.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't hate the idea of a team having two cities. I mean, if you can't draw a crowd in your own city, and your stadium is shit, and the city (rightly) won't pay for you to get a new one, go for it. I'm down for the experiment, at least.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, the Rays want to leave Tampa? Why?
Because they play in an absolute shithole and nobody wants to pay for a new stadium. The fact that they can't draw crowds despite perennially working magic with their roster is also a likely factor.
Wait... how is this even going to work?
It seems like they want to start the season in Tampa when weather's still awful in Canada and then play the rest of the season in Montreal.

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think they will rename the team the Expos when they fully move to Montreal?

Puddington

Nov 2, 2017
I'm from Tampa but haven't lived there in quite a few years. When I was there, the owner constantly complained about attendance in their St. Pete stadium and was trying to get out of the Rays' lease so they can move across the bay to Tampa where they think they'll do better attendance numbers. It was a real turnoff to hear that owner's constant whining and I'd imagine a lot of folks still in Tampa feel the same way.

On the other hand, people loved the Tampa Bay Lightning owner even before they won back-to-back Stanley Cups because he never complains and put his own money into improving the arena that they play in.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just fully move then, half assing it only makes it worse. Like, who gets playoff games in this situation? Also gives the players even more travel and inconsistency.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Just fully move then, half assing it only makes it worse. Like, who gets playoff games in this situation? Also gives the players even more travel and inconsistency.

Ya, are players supposed to keep two apartments in two cities? Feels like a nightmare scenario. If you want to leave, leave.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Hopefully MLB (or the Rays) will be taking care of the tax hit to players, who are now going to lose a large chunk of games played in a state with no income taxes.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Hopefully MLB is taking care of the tax hit to players, who are now going to lose a large chunk of games played in a state with no income taxes.
Pretty sure there is data that shows states without income taxes don't really come out ahead vs other states/areas. It's a great marketing tactic, but those taxes eventually come out in ways that aren't as obvious.

Also, nobody is going to be starving if they start taking a Canadian professional baseball salary. MLB shouldn't also have to subsidize an idiotic proposal by a cheap owner that doesn't want to invest in critical infrastructure for their team.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
Are they going to be playing in the old Olympic Stadium?
They're trying to escape a dump of a ballpark by moving to an even older dump?

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
As a new resident of Tampa, Tropicana field always looks like an abandoned stadium every time I pass it by on the way to the beach.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stu is a piece of shit carpetbagger who has zero interest in investing any of his own money in the team or the area, and never wanted to own the Rays in the first place. He wanted to buy the Mets but couldn't afford it, so he bought TB for dirt cheap. He doesn't live in the area, has Mets season tickets, and is in the bottom five of payroll in the league, which basically says it all. The Rays continue to win in spite of this piece of shit. It's basically the plot of Major League, except attendance doesn't go up when the team wins because they play in retirement home St. Petersburg. The retirees that do go to the games usually only go to support the visiting team from where they moved from, and the rest of the crowd is made up of people who are willing to fight up to two hours of traffic to cross the Bay from the Tampa side…which ain't a lot. That's the real problem, and always has been: the Trop's location. Nobody wants to sit in traffic, probably miss the first few innings, and watch the team live when they can just watch on tv and avoid the headache. You move that team to the Tampa side and there's no more attendance issue, period. But Stu refuses to spend any of his own money to have a new stadium built on the Tampa side, and wants the tax payers to take it all. So since the people refused, his alternative plan is to have two new stadiums built in St. Pete and Montreal so they can share? Literally go fuck yourself with a Brillo pad. Fuck you. Fuck off.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Grew up the number 1 Expos fan in the Midwest, so anything that gets close to that would have me rooting for that team, no question.
94 still burns my soul every time I think about what could have been

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It can be both.
In 2019 the last year before covid. A year they finished with 96 wins they were second to last in attendance. https://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance/_/year/2019
Sure. But they were still playing in a dump. Also, if the fanbase is truly in Tampa, then traversing to St. Pete would normally be a traffic nightmare.

This is ultimately an owner that is throwing a fit because local government won't pay for a new stadium. Same old story as many other owners and potential relocations throughout sports.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, the Rays want to leave Tampa? Why?
They have wanted a new stadium for decades, but ownership wants the city to pay for it. These past few years they've been threatening to move to Montreal if they don't get a new stadium. In 2019 there were plans to maybe build a new ballpark in the Ybor area over in Tampa, but that fell through when, again, ownership didn't want to pay for it.

I've been a Rays fan since the beginning, but honestly fuck Sternberg. I'd rather they not leave, but I have no interest in my tax money going into a new stadium. If they end up bouncing then oh well.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why does Montréal even want a baseball team still? Nobody except for old people watch baseball in Québec.