• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the PS5DD be $399?

• Yes

Votes: 592 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 477 44.6%

• Total voters

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Please, don't push the narrative that Sony are changing to 399/499

According to their Revenue forecast, it was never anything above $499

Oh, you know the spin thats coming if it happens, lol. I don't care, it will still look like Sony outlasted MS in their game of chicken, and matched, undercut in response. Either way, the spin is coming.
Man...$100 to add a disc drive. That's rough.

Or 100 discount to remove a disc drive.

Can't look at it only from one angle.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
That would be pretty sweet, I was expecting a 50$ difference. I might actually think about the DE instead of the disc version if it ends up being true.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Bom may only mean $50 difference but why spend time effort and money Launching two skus side by side for such a small difference? $100 delta is logical

maybe they add something to the disc version to soften the gap like a pack in game

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
For those who continue to ask how a lack of disc drive could shave 100 dollars off the price, it doesn't have to make sense from a build perspective.

Yes an all digital model is slightly cheaper and will yield more digital revenue on average.

But the upside of having a low priced digital entry is huge. 399 was a massive success for PS4. And if you want the disc drive, pay a 100 bucks more. Either way they lure you in with a low price.

The consumer is not that dumb, the price gap between the PS3 models was evident, this wouldn't be unless one came with an HDMI cable and the other didn't or Plus for a year. Sony talking about traditional console gens should also not be charging a premium for a disk drive.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone not understanding why there would be a hundred dollar difference is attempting to breakdown the component cost and translate that to an MSRP
Right. Its not about cost but its about value and function mixed with opportunity.

The opportunity for them to make more money on the average revenue per sale metric is greater for PS5D vs PS5. They lock in all customers to potentially higher prices on software sales versus the flexibility of software prices on the physical market.

With the disc version theres more functionality. Not only do you have the ability to play your disc based games back to PS4, but you can watch your BR movies. That costs money you cant reproduce with a separate set top box and adds value beyond the cost of the drive.

Ozymandias

Jun 9, 2018
399 for the digital version is a great proposition due to the difference in performance not being that much lower than the series X. But then 499 for the blu ray version is kinda nonsense cause its a weaker console than the series x at that point and how is a blu ray player that much more expensive?

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I could see them taking an L on the digital version because then youre forced to buy everything from their digital store long term

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Bom may only mean $50 difference but why spend time effort and money Launching two skus side by side for such a small difference? $100 delta is logical

maybe they add something to the disc version to soften the gap like a pack in game
Go for the jugular, COD Black Ops Cold War pack-in game. That's just for few million launch consoles, Acti will probably be up for it.

They could launch the console on Friday Nov13, which is the current release date for Cold War.

Mar 8, 2018
Posts like these make 0 sense when the majority is already digital.
There is no need to shoehorn anyone anymore - they could only sell a disc version and the majority would still buy digital.
Sony looses $200 in your scenario for every discless console sold, including the ones sold to the majority that would buy digital regardless.
Indeed. I have about 20 PS4 discs, but even then I'm seriously considering the DE when I end up snagging a PS5. Haven't bought a physical game in almost two years, and I'm starting to feel fairly exasperated every time I have to use a disc. Used to be a hardcore physical games warrior, but man... they got me.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Damn I don't wanna get my hopes up only to have them dashed, but damn a $399 digital machine sounds like a dream.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
PS5 DE at $399 would be a steal.

If MS take such a big loss on the $299 XSS, I can't even imagine how much Sony will be bleeding money with a $399 PS5.
But from a consumer perspective, it's insanely good value.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love the "Sony is panicking" narrative that is forming.

They most likely had a plan already in place for a scenario that has a $299/$499 Xbox on the market. Hell we've been guessing those prices on this forum for months. This is not some surprise attack.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It was. Estimated BOM for the PS3 at launch was north of $800. I'll never understand how some people still call taking a $200+ loss "greedy".
they did a lot of people a favor when the next best blu-ray player was 1000 bucks lol. Sony really tried for a Pyrrhic victory in the PS3 era, one of those moments where being a conglomerate could ruin you.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I still don't believe this price. Watching the XSS DF video, they thought consoles would be north of $600 for a very good reason.

Microsoft are eating a lot of cost to catch its old market share. I severely doubt Sony are going to do the same ... but if they do? Wow. That would be a phenomenal price for what's in the box.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I will stick to believing that the digital will be 499, so that prices seem comparable in marketing campaigns, but the disk version will be more, probably 449.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
That's pretty much what I was expecting from the start and personally I cant see why anyone would go for digital if it was anything else than $100 difference, you'd probably easily save over $100 with physical edition too seeing games are often £10-20 cheaper physically than digital in UK anyway.

I am hoping for a higher SSD model though. 825GB simply isn't enough and it's a weird thing to decide on instead of just going to a standard 1TB. Guess that SSD is pricier than they hoped?

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
If they take away the drive, does that mean they can use a smaller power supply and remove any other components inside?

If its only a $50 difference then it seems entirely pointless to launch with two skus.

kamen_tater

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it's gonna be 399. It's the same internally as the disc version and a blu ray drive isn't saving them $100. Cutting out brick and mortar gets maybe $20, and they get a third of that so that's $6 more per sale of a 60 game. How many more games will they have to sell to just make back that $100? They have to explain why they are so far in the red to investors, and usually r&d cost is added to this fiscal year, too. That would be one seriously rough conference call and could lose them more investors. They aren't trying to break even, they are trying to make money.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony stay winning if these are the final prices.
Getting two PS5s day one no matter what.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
ugh come on
they better not charge 100 bucks for a fucking disc drive

edit: also these prices are very unrealistic lol its gonna be 499/549 or something

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
HAve Sony said whether they'll allow retailers to have PS5 digital codes after stopping them for the PS4?

The DE is tempting but I don't want to lock myself into only their storefront.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why everyone is believing GameReactor here. This isn't how it works.

Based on GR view, they were likely $599/$549 as that is something that can be considered "considerably more expensive". You don't just take that to $399/$499.

You can't just shave $150 off your projected MSRP.

You can't go from considerably more expensive to considerably less expensive. It doesn't work like that. You can go from considerably more expensive to slightly more expensive or in line. You don't take 30% off your projected price especially this late in the game.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
PS5 at 399 would be unbelievable.

So much, in fact, that i don't believe it.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can see a 399 digital only because Sony needs to build a new community of players but spec wise I just don't know how they can take a hit like that.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Competition is great isn't it?

At this rate I'll be able to get both consoles at launch if MS/Sony keep this up.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
DE won't be 399, it will be more expensive.
Too many people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

And I can tell, I'm a Metroid fan!

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see it. $100 less purely for discless? It makes zero sense
While the disk probably costs them 15-20 dollars per unit, they may see it as a power play to get people to buy all digital. That money goes directly them, and not split with retailers, or cost them in manufacturing. If it is 399 for the DE, it will be sold at an incredible loss. I didn't think Sony wanted that again.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I'm sure that would be the deal of the century, but since they'll sell out everything at launch, lowering the price that much is probably close to a billion less profit at launch, for no immediate gains in market share. It would be more of a publicity statement. They can always lower the price the second year once the production ramped up and the sales channels are filled.

... unless they were planning the DE to be 399 all along.

tris20

Aug 25, 2020
while i totaly understand this price. from a costumer not knowing the specs and only hear xbox is 12tflop and ps5 10tslop. i think the price doesn't add up.

i find it a good price but still.