• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Era's expectation : Switch Pro

Nintendo's reality : Same Switch with joycon drift corrected

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Why would the Switch really need more power, 720p screen is enough anyway, anything else is a waste of battery, and games that were designed well run well.

The unit itself should ideally be able to hit native 720p in most or all handheld games, which hasn't really been the norm IIRC. Also, as large TVs become less and less expensive, higher resolutions become more important in docked mode. Most Switch games are 900p or lower and don't look that hot on my 55 inch TV. Some additional graphics processing power in the dock could help alleviate this and I'd be willing to pay whatever it takes to get the resolution pushed as high as possible (native 1440p or a high checkerboarded resolution would be great). Also, there's no excuse to not support HDR at this point (though I'm not sure if an entirely new system would be required to support it since base PS4 had it patched in).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
People suggesting 4K are out of their goddamn minds.

Did you forget that the Switch is primarily a 720p portable device?
Improving the dock for 4k output isn't that nuts. TX1 already had hardware support for 4k streaming and TX1+ has an improved 4k scaling solution too. The hardware's already there for it.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably just a cheaper to manufacture machine with lower quality materials for maximum profit.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
lmfao at anyone talking about the Switch and 4K in the same sentence.

How about we get a Switch that does 1080p in all games docked first.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Because I hardly care about portability and I'd rather have a system that looks and performs better on my 50 inch screen.
Exact same feeling. Also, the 720p home menu looks awful on my 4K TV :(

If Nintendo could at least update the menu to run at 1080p, that'd be great. I highly doubt they'd do a 4K revision, but that would be amazing! I definitely want a Switch Pro.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably just a cheaper to manufacture machine with lower quality materials for maximum profit.
Normally I would agree, buy they already released revisions last year that were cheaper to produce, so I'd be inclined to believe that this is something else.

Exact same feeling. Also, the 720p home menu looks awful on my 4K TV :(

If Nintendo could at least update the menu to run at 1080p, that'd be great. I highly doubt they'd do a 4K revision, but that would be amazing! I definitely want a Switch Pro.
It's bizarre that they haven't fixed that home menu issue by now. Hopefully it's part of a large OS update this year or something.

Matbtz

Oct 27, 2017
As there was a minor upgrade in August for me it can go either way :
  • There are no upgrade this year
  • A "pro" version is coming
Thinner bezel, better battery and newer nvidia chip could be cool. However what I would really want is a beefed up dock that has computing power !

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
If a 'super switch' does exist, I hope
instead of chasing the 4k silly bandwagon, Nintendo should instead invest whatever extra power they have to make sure portable can do 720p and docked can do 1080p both at decent locked frame rates.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
My guess is either Switch TV that allows for 4k upscaling (current Switch chip supports this but was deactivated), so we have portable via Lite, hybrid with OG and now stationary with TV; or a Switch XL with bigger screen, upgrade from 32GB to 64/128GB and improved build quality.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what SoC they are going to use if it is a more powerful model, Xavier-based perhaps? I'm not very informed in regards to the developments of the Tegra right now, is Orin even usable at point?

Plum

May 31, 2018
People suggesting 4K are out of their goddamn minds.

Did you forget that the Switch is primarily a 720p portable device?
lmfao at anyone talking about the Switch and 4K in the same sentence.

How about we get a Switch that does 1080p in all games docked first.
I don't get what's so ridiculous about it. Nobody's saying that the Switch is suddenly going to be a 4K portable device, but improving the Tegra X1 (or switching to a Tegra X2) to allow 4K output in docked mode is completely reasonable. What it'll be used for, especially when the Switch doesn't even have fucking Netflix yet, is another question entirely.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'll believe it when I see it.
"Pro" makes no sense from what we know, so I guess it'd be another storage/battery/screen improvement kind of thing.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I don't get what's so ridiculous about it. Nobody's saying that the Switch is suddenly going to be a 4K portable device, but improving the Tegra X1 (or switching to a Tegra X2) to allow 4K output in docked mode is completely reasonable. What it'll be used for, especially when the Switch doesn't even have fucking Netflix yet, is another question entirely.
4K output is supported on Tegra X1. Nintendo disabled it.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
My guess is either Switch TV that allows for 4k upscaling (current Switch chip supports this but was deactivated) or a Switch XL with bigger screen, upgrade from 32GB to 64/128GB and improved build quality. Nothing "Pro" about either one.

That would be painfully disappointing. Why you gotta go there

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
4K HDR pls when docked. Checkerboard if you have to.
Well lets hope its not just 900p mario odyssey upscaled to 4k only. I mean my tv already does a very good job with that.

What i hope is that a potential mario odyssey 2 will run in 900p on the original/lite and 1440p with upscaling(or checkerboarding ala ps4 pro) to 2160p on Switch +/pro.

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
Pls let me communicate with my friends. Whether that means bluetooth audio for headsets or a revised Pro controller with an audio jack, I need it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is either Switch TV that allows for 4k upscaling (current Switch chip supports this but was deactivated), so we have portable via Lite, hybrid with OG and now stationary with TV; or a Switch XL with bigger screen, upgrade from 32GB to 64/128GB and improved build quality.

...Why would anyone want a bigger screen Switch XL with nothing Pro about it? It would just make most big games that are unable to hold 720p look worse in handheld mode. The other facets are easy to imagine, but a bigger screen seems counterproductive until the specs are scaled to match.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There's already a model with much improved battery life and a Lite... The next one can only be a true update to make it modern again in 2020. The report mentions specifically "extending the life cycle", only an updated, more powerful one can do that.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It could be 1% larger. No one said it would go from 6in to 10in.
images

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Realistic possibilities:
- OLED display
- glass screen (will break so much easier!)
- bigger battery?

Can't really think of much. They're not going to use an X2 - they could possibly clock the X1 a little higher with a bigger battery for a less-effect New 3DS like solution, but I don't expect it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.