• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
He's a celebrity now. He's had TV (like, actual TV) appearances, there are toys and stuff of him, book tie-ins... basically, more than any other streamer out there, he's become a brand.

I went round to my nephews/sister-in-laws house at Christmas and both kids were dressed head to toe in Ninja branded clothes.

Sister-in-law just thought they were generic ninja clothes (as in 'a ninja', not 'Ninja')

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I went round to my nephews/sister-in-laws house at Christmas and both kids were dressed head to toe in Ninja branded clothes.

Sister-in-law just thought they were generic ninja clothes (as in 'a ninja', not 'Ninja')
Believe it.

81W9UgXFwtL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What kills me is Mixer is 2/3rds of the framework Microsoft needs to create a serious YouTube competitor. That's where the real blood is in the water. Try to find a major YouTuber that doesn't complain about ad revenues tanking and having to crutch almost entirely on Patreon, weird algorithm garbage, lack of transparency from YouTube staff and just constantly being SURPRISED by changes that benefit no one, new "Kids" restrictions that don't make sense and massively limit site functionality (even the FTC said they didn't ask for many of the changes), and let's not forget all of the Alt-Right and other bigoted content the site has been proven to push people toward.

I get it, taking on YouTube and Google is hard, especially when they can't take down Twitch and Amazon. But people aren't looking for an alternative to Twitch (unfortunately). They are, however, looking for an alternative to YouTube. Microsoft has the money and the servers and the architecture.

Not even google can make youtube profitable that's why they constantly tinker with the algorithm. Entering this market would burn billions and billions with no real profits in sight. Might be the dumbest move you could possibly make. That's why nobody even dares to try. Multiple companies went after twitch and netflix but nobody even thinks about touching youtube.

MS isn't even in the ad business. Makes zero sense.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
It's the fact that they always seem to come late to the party.

Apple was also late to the party in respect to smart phones and mp3 players, but they executed it so well they became popular anyway.
I don't own any apple products personally but I don't think being late to the party is a problem if you do it well.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Apple was also late to the party in respect to smart phones and mp3 players, but they executed it so well they became popular anyway.
I don't own any apple products personally but I don't think being late to the party is a problem if you do it well.

As has been stated, Microsoft did do many products well but still couldn't gain traction. Sometimes it is being late to the party. Apple wasn't even really late to the party more like everyone else came to the party dressed in out of style clothes while Apple came in a tuxedo and drew everyone's attention. What I mean is that whoever can get that perfect product to the table first will most of the time have a insurmountable lead. People will follow the trend and what's popular and are unlikely to change to other services. It's been true with Netflix, Steam, Google, etc...

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I have to admit that the video of their GM speaking to the team at their town hall is one of the worst examples of shitty coporate bosses trying to give a prep talk I have ever heard. Absolutely shocking.

The last 30 seconds or so made me cringe hard. Goodness.

I saw MS getting Ninja as a move for him to advertise games alongside the Series X (e.g.: Halo Infinite) instead of actually bring a ton of viewers over instantly. We'll see where that goes, but yeah—can't say I'm surprised by team morale being low after watching that video. 😬

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Ninja on Twitch had 3-6 times that.

Shroud had 10 times more than he has today.
Credit to MixerStats, here are Ninja's current statistics:

11BDvyAmQ0e9gp4MzyIkEg.png

Credit to Twitch Tracker, Ninja's Twitch Stats (The last time he streamed on Twitch):
MifMbq6lRxq4OI79zok1Wg.png

Ninja's Overall Viewer History:

S_TXaelcSpGy8U-Xm4DFNg.png
Lot more than that. Though 10k viewers is a lot even on Twitch, any streamer that gets 10k viewers regularly would be one of the top streamers on the platform. So ya even though it's declined, that's still a lot of people.
Thanks!

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
That's been the joke about anyone that moves off Twitch for the payday.

What's probably going to happen is that most of them will come back to Twitch when their contracts end.
It's the money bag. The generational wealth securment plan. As I said when both made their moves: get the bag. No fault or shame in that. They hustled hard, made their brands what they are, and had the opportunity to cash in big time. Tomorrow is not promised. Hand/wrist, finger injury could have prematurely ended either of their careers at any point (or could at any point in the future). So my message to any streamer: Always. Get. The. Bag.

After their Mixer time, they can retire and start putting their names on PC hardware and accessories like F1tality did (they do this a little bit now, but could still expand that). Or they can keep playing if they enjoy it that much, I guess.

But with $30+ million in each of their bank accounts, the fool's path would be to just keep grinding away playing. The real play is to parlay that brand into products that can minimize your daily grind and maximize your brand name and income. Either way, we'll find out what they decide to do in a couple of years. I believe both have 3 year contracts.
3 year contract is not so bad for the money they got. At least they'll have a chance to be relevant again when it's up.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The last 30 seconds or so made me cringe hard. Goodness.

I saw MS getting Ninja as a move for him to advertise games alongside the Series X (e.g.: Halo Infinite) instead of actually bring a ton of viewers over instantly. We'll see where that goes, but yeah—can't say I'm surprised by team morale being low after watching that video. 😬

Geez that is rough. I'm interested to look into this further, now.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure you get my meaning. Youtube, twitch, and I believe ustream were in the PS ecosystem before XBOX. I don't mean making a stream, or games exclusives like what mixer did with smite. More so prioritizing support like we saw with other apps throughout the gen.

I understand what your saying perfectly.

What im saying is I don't think twitch would see any value in slighting xbox users in retaliation to Mixer signing former twitch streamers.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
MS mistake was buying streamers and spent 100M+ on those deals...

if they did use that money on linking Gold or Pass subscription to Mixer so those who have it will got Drop loot on Games (MS should have paid for this not for Streamers) so they get Free items and so on

they should have focus on bringing the Gamers (especially those in their ecosystem) first by benefits the Gamers first then new streamers will come with it

Oct 29, 2017
Genuine question, why is so much commentary based on the assumption that Mixer either has to be #1 or close down? Is there really no room in the market for two streaming services?

Deleted member 45468

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
If the general manager for the company I work for told me to stop complaining because she doesn't care and be happy that you work for Microsoft, I would look for another job.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019
Of course, but Youtube gaming is the alternative, not Mixer.
Exactly this. Even YouTube Gaming struggles to compete with Twitch and they still blast Mixer out the water in both views and hours. I don't honestly see Mixer lasting by the end of 2021. I really do think Amazon or Google will buy the tech behind it and use it for their services at this point.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
semi-related, but whatever happened to u-stream? i remember that being a share option on the PS4 at the beginning of the generation but at some point it disappeared.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly this. Even YouTube Gaming struggles to compete with Twitch and they still blast Mixer out the water in both views and hours. I don't honestly see Mixer lasting by the end of 2021. I really do think Amazon or Google will buy the tech behind it and use it for their services at this point.

Considering I believe Microsoft are leveraging that tech in xCloud, I doubt that very much.

Mar 26, 2019
Considering I believe Microsoft are leveraging that tech in xCloud, I doubt that very much.
I can see where you'd come from with that but I'm not so sure Mixer has much of an impact in the technical aspect for that. Low latency isn't really something that they could necessarily help with as anyone can do it, just takes a LOT.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The irony of these posts, of course, is that Mixer desperately wants that exact same chat base on their site. They are courting it and being ignored. Suggesting that it has something to do with the platform (that somehow the Mixer community is nicer and less toxic because it's a better place) is just a misunderstanding. Should Mixer grow, its chats would look like Twitch's. Because they are the same general audience and It is a zero-sum game.

I find it hard to agree with that. During certain gaming events I will want to watch multiple streams at once.

Heck even outside tournaments there can be reasons to view multiple streams.

It might be a zero sum game to become the default stream. But I think it is seriously possible to become the preferred second stream if you offered the right incentives and user experience that deals with some of the pain points of multiple streams.

Oct 27, 2017
Genuine question, why is so much commentary based on the assumption that Mixer either has to be #1 or close down? Is there really no room in the market for two streaming services?

Who is asking for Mixer to be number one?

Here is the situation:
Streaming-graph-2.jpg

wccftech.com

Twitch Is Losing Market Share To Facebook Gaming

We look at recent industry data that shows Twitch's competitors are accelerating in their attempt to wrestle away market share.

You have Twitch dominating the market, Youtube having a seizable market share, and even Facebook clawing their market share. As of now, Mixer is deep down in the 4th spot among Western platforms.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Apple wasn't late to smartphones.

They redefined what a smartphone was.

That's how you make a splash when new to a market

They were almost a decade late according to the common definition of smartphones.
What apple did was improve the touch screen interface, which already existed in many smartphones previous to it but it was not as polished.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
They were almost a decade late according to the common definition of smartphones.
What apple did was improve the touch screen interface, which already existed in many smartphones previous to it but it was not as polished.

In the actual market, no one was using the term 'smartphone' 10 years before the iphone.

Jun 7, 2018
I'm not sure if Amazon has done the same elsewhere in the world but Twitch in the UK signing up deals with the likes of Limmy and Iain Lee has been a bit of a masterstroke.

They've pulled in an older (30-45ish?) demographic that previously perhaps didn't really "get" streaming as a form of entertainment; I've seen friends online who'd never in a million years watch pure Twitch gaming streams, talking about spending their Friday or Saturdays watching Limmy then watching Iain Lee react to his old '90s TV shows every Sunday.

Having partnerships with creative, quirky, loved-by-geeks, TV-famous comedians, in order to broaden the appeal of the service beyond the usual Fortnite/Apex/Minecraft fans, just seems years ahead of Mixer's catchup game.

Twitch is actively working to gain new viewers, heck, whole new categories of viewers, while Mixer is still fighting for some crumbs of the already-attached traditional Twitch viewership.

Last edited:

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Regarding making Microsoft games exclusive to Mixer:
That could backfire, HARD.

Completely ignoring the effect streaming has or has not on sales of a game, if Mixer still isn't taking off considerably, you will have a situation where you have Microsoft games being streamed to very low viewer numbers. And we know how the internet is in regards to viewership = sales success.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's been the joke about anyone that moves off Twitch for the payday.

What's probably going to happen is that most of them will come back to Twitch when their contracts end.

With Mixer.

CourageJD and Valyrae are getting very similar numbers to when they were on Twitch. It's a Mixer problem not a "it's not Twitch" problem.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It won't.

Platform agnosticism (or the perception therein) is essential for streaming platforms to be successful in the broader sense. And by and large, the PC gamer base dictates which streaming platform is the strongest, as the PC version of most games represent the fiercest competitive player base and experience. Plus, a lot of the strength of Twitch comes from non-gaming streams, which barely even exists on Mixer.

I mean look at this shit: Twitch IRL viewers vs Mixer IRL viewers at this second -

1gXGR9A.png
ZeI3KEZ.png

100,000+ on Twitch. 890 on Mixer.

Let that wash over you. That's more than 2 orders of magnitude the audience in just this one channel sub-group. This sort of difference between platforms really the standard rather than the exception by and large when you go from game to game. In some cases, 3 orders of magnitude.

This is about as much a conversation and competition as Zune was to iPod. Windows Phone vs Android/iPhone. That is to say, it only gets brought up because of the size of the company behind it, not because it's actually competitive. Because a few true believers(tm) want to keep hope alive against a very clear market reality.

Streamers aren't suddenly going to choose to stream on Mixer because XSX has deeper integration into the platform. It will also have a Twitch app and capture cards will still be the definitive way to stream. Twitch will still be the biggest and best potential audience for any streamer that wants to grow, regardless of console.

This was never a competition.
The Zunes PC software was fire

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Regarding making Microsoft games exclusive to Mixer:
That could backfire, HARD.

Completely ignoring the effect streaming has or has not on sales of a game, if Mixer still isn't taking off considerably, you will have a situation where you have Microsoft games being streamed to very low viewer numbers. And we know how the internet is in regards to viewership = sales success.
I mean what would the logistics even be for that.

How do you make streaming a game exclusive to a streaming service? It sounds absurd. Capture cards alone defeat that concept, and if streamers can't put their content where they want it to be, they simply won't play the content. It's really that simple. There is no game in existence, out or coming, that a streamer would trade their audience to play.

The Zunes PC software was fire
Yea, I had a brown/green one. It was nice and sounded better than my iPod. But I was also under no delusions that it could or would ever be a competitor in the maket. It was a niche product like a Diamond Rio player or MiniDisc player. It was never going to be more than niche. I feel the same about Mixer. The only question is whether that's good enough for its audience and for Microsoft.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I had a brown/green one. It was nice and sounded better than my iPod. But I was also under no delusions that it could or would ever be a competitor in the maket. It was a niche product like a Diamond Rio player or MiniDisc player. It was never going to be more than niche. I feel the same about Mixer. The only question is whether that's good enough for its audience and for Microsoft.
Real talk for the logest I thought Mixer was some kind of corporate internal software. You know how they try to give them cool names

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I mean what would the logistics even be for that.

How do you make streaming a game exclusive to a streaming service? It sounds absurd. Capture cards alone defeat that concept, and if streamers can't put their content where they want it to be, they simply won't play the content. It's really that simple. There is no game in existence, out or coming, that a streamer would trade their audience to play.

Theoretically?
DMCA takedowns.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
which just means MS would be saying "biggest streamers dont play our video games, play our competitor's"

Like I said, if Mixer doesn't take off with Microsoft games exclusives, it could tank the whole narrative about MS games doing good or great. Halo being exclusively streamed on Mixer with a peak of, let's say, 25k to 50k viewers would summon the doomsayers of the Halo franchise immediately.

MS can't risk that, so anyone who is suggesting they should stream MS games exclusively on Mixer are nuts.