• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
www.bleepingcomputer.com

Capcom hit by Ragnar Locker ransomware, 1TB allegedly stolen

Japanese game developer Capcom has suffered a ransomware attack where threat actors claim to have stolen 1TB of sensitive data from their corporate networks in the US, Japan, and Canada.

Japanese game developer Capcom has suffered a ransomware attack where threat actors claim to have stolen 1TB of sensitive data from their corporate networks in the US, Japan, and Canada.

Capcom is well-known for its iconic game franchises, including Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, and Mega Man.

Yesterday, Capcom announced that they had been hit with a cyberattack on November 2nd, 2020, that led to the halting of portions of their corporate network to prevent the attack's spread.

"Beginning in the early morning hours of November 2, 2020 some of the Capcom Group networks experienced issues that affected access to certain systems, including email and file servers. The company has confirmed that this was due to unauthorized access carried out by a third party, and that it has halted some operations of its internal networks as of November 2."

Since the attack, Capcom has been displaying notices on its site warning visitors that emails and document requests will not be answered due to the attack impacting email systems.

According to the ransom note, banking statements and accounting files, internal emails, IP & Proprietary Business information, employees' personal information (including visas and passports), and corporate agreements & contracts were allegedly stolen.

The ransom note:
We have BREACHED your security perimeter and get access to every server of company's Network in different offices located in Japan, USA, Canada.
So we has DOWNLOADED more than 1TB total volume of your PRIVATE SENSITIVE Data, including:
-Accounting files, Banking Statements, Budget and Revenue files classified as Confidential, Tax Documents
-Intellectual Property, Proprietary Business information, Clients and Employees Personal information (Such as Passports and Visa), Incidents Acts
-Corporate Agreements and Contracts, Non-Disclosure Agreements, Confidential Agreements, Sales Summaries
-Also we have your Private Corporate Correspondence, Emails and Messanger Conversations, Marketing presentations, Audit reports and a lot of other Sensitive Information

If NO Deal made than all your Data will be Published and/or Sold through an auction to any third-parties

Press-release from Capcom about the attack:
Beginning in the early morning hours of November 2, 2020 some of the Capcom Group networks experienced issues that affected access to certain systems, including email and file servers. The company has confirmed that this was due to unauthorized access carried out by a third party, and that it has halted some operations of its internal networks as of November 2. Capcom expressed its deepest regret for any inconvenience this may cause to its various stakeholders. Further, it stated that at present there is no indication that any customer information was breached. This incident has not affected connections for playing the company's games online or access to its various websites.

Presently, Capcom is consulting with the police as well as other related authorities while both carrying out an investigation and taking measures to restore its systems. The company will continue to offer relevant updates as the facts become clear, via its websites and other means.

More at the links. Activate the computer's security software if old.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Hm, I wonder if we'll see what the title change and what little progress has been done on Deep Down come out of this.

Didn't CryTek just get hit a couple weeks ago?

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
User warned: Insensitive joke
So this is how we're gonna get MegaMan Legends 3 eh?

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
the capcom leaks have gone too far this time.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Joke
Is this how far people will go to uncover a Dino Crisis remake?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Banking statements and accounting files, internal emails, IP & Proprietary Business information, employees' personal information (including visas and passports), and corporate agreements & contracts were allegedly stolen in the ransomware attack. That's REALLY sensitive data.
In particular, all the financial info is extremely sensitive considering Capcom is a public traded company. That's the kind of stuff that can get the country's financial regulator on your back asking how it happened, and potential impacts if its leaked (since it could be used for insider trading). It's big.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Banking statements and accounting files, internal emails, IP & Proprietary Business information, employees' personal information (including visas and passports), and corporate agreements & contracts were allegedly stolen in the ransomware attack. That's REALLY sensitive data.
That is as sensitive as it gets!

When will these companies start taking security seriously?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that the Work From Home situation revelead breaches in their security?
This was a ransomware attack, meaning it's likely someone had their machine compromised with a phishing link. That could happen at home or the office and that situation demands users be more aware of what they click on in their emails.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
This is not good at all... but ngl the potential "leaks" that come from this could be hilarious lol

edit - by "leaks" I mean obviously fake nonsense that people will make up and use this to justify. I'm not on about real stuff leaking, and I hope nothing bad happens to anybody whose information has been compromised

Last edited:

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
That 1TB seems to contain a ton of vital operational data. Could lead to major troubles in the future.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Insensitive joke
Edit: since I received a warning for this (fair) I do want to clarify that it was a joke made before I was aware of what was actually taken from these hackers, these hackers are scum

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
These companies have to invest more in cybersecurity. Getting your employee's info stolen like that is just too much.

Oct 25, 2017
redacted-steam-sales-report.jpg

I would actually be really interested in these lol

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
But it's all old games*, no one is hurt.

*except the stuff from as late as 2016
Except all of the personal emails and such also included in the contents of that thread subject. You can't just gleefully dive in and celebrate the game leaks without acknowledging the other content or the shady nature of the leak in the first place.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
These companies have to invest more in cybersecurity. Getting your employee's info stolen like that is just too much.

I work in the field, trust me, sometimes no matter how much you invest in defence you will get compromised.

Even if the systems are bullet proof (and they can't be), the person working with the systems will always be the vulnerability.

Without knowing how this happened I won't criticize Capcom.