• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I played RE3 a long time ago and I remember not really enjoying it. I thought Nemesis was a pain and escaped as much as possible. I never really tried to beat him as I thought it required too much resources to do so. I kinda have the feeling that I played the game wrong so I want it give it another chance before the remake comes out as I am a big fan of RE2 (both original and remake).

So how should I actually play this game? face Nemesis or run from him?
How does the dodge mechanic work again? I don't think I ever really understood that part

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
It's your choice really regarding Nemesis. If you're not playing on Easy, Nemesis drops really useful items for you to use in the later game.

Or you could save ammo and avoid him as much as possible. Also, the dodge mechanic has no science behind it, usually, you press Aim before a zombie attack and you might dodge. But it's so broken that it'll either work or it won't.

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It's your choice really regarding Nemesis. If you're not playing on Easy, Nemesis drops really useful items for you to use in the later game.

Or you could save ammo and avoid him as much as possible. Also, the dodge mechanic has no science behind it, usually, you press Aim before a zombie attack and you might dodge. But it's so broken that it'll either work or it won't.
if I am playing on hard, what do i get from beating him every time?

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
if I am playing on hard, what do i get from beating him every time?
From what I remember, you get weapon parts that can later be combined into making a pistol that's a lot better than the normal Samurai Edge. I think you get other stuff as well but can't quite remember.

Oct 27, 2017
Kill Nemesis every time you see him for really good weapons/equipments.

Look up how to make certain ammo using the powder creating (Also each time you create ammo Jill will get better at it and will give you more ammo or better ammo).

Don't kill everything you see as unlike RE2, 3 requires you to save ammo for Nemesis if you end up fighting him. Later on there is a boss fight with him that is a pain if you don't save enough ammo.

The dodge work best with pistols in my experience.

Spread you saves instead of saving over one slot. You might have to reload you save if you end up doing badly when it comes to saving ammo.

Edit: Also the freeze grenade rounds work best on Nemesis. The magnum is also good but it has rare ammo.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Depends on the difficult you're playing it. On easy, maybe i'll face nemesis but on hard.. hell no. Just run

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
There is no right and wrong in regards to that. You can play it however you feel like.
When you play on hard then Nemesis (not on all kills when you encounter him) can drop certain items like First Aid Sprays or Weapon Parts you can combine to make a weapon.
It is definitely the most fun to play on hard and kill Nemesis, but it is actually not that easy to do (that also depends on the version of the game. Don't quote me on this one but the japanese PC version that speedrunners use is easier than the european/american PS1/gamecube version etc.)

On normal difficulty you are loaded with everything and the game is a breeze. I think you start with Assault Rifle, Shotgun and Magnun in your box + ammunition for those.

My advice would be to play on hard + don't fight nemesis for your first playthrough. It gives you the thrill of excitement + outrunning him is not so hard.

The dodge mechanic is something that is in the game, but don't worry about it. Even god tier speedrunners can't pull it off every time.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Eh. It's 6 hours. Crush it in an afternoon. It's also really easy so don't sweat it.

If there was a least helpful comment awards, this would be nominated. Although possibly not, it would be a very big fight for those nominations.

Anyway OP, there is no right way to play RE3. Running away from Nemesis and fighting him are equally valid (and imo entertaining) options. The right choice then is what is more natural to you, if you think running away is the best option, go for it. Nemesis is tough, and downing him is no easy task. And as you implied, it takes a lot of ammo and likely healing itens. So trying to put me in your position, I'd play hard and avoid Nemesid when I can. Your first fight with him only occurs later in the game, by that time you would have both the magnum and the granade laucher, either use gunpowder to make bullets for the magnum CCC (C being A + B) or freeze rounds (CC). The later is a cooler choice if you ask me. Although the former is possibly a more powerful combo.

If you do want to face Nemesis everytime, then play on easy. You get a lot of weapons that make facing him a much simpler task. Use the magnum and you should have a much easier time. He won't drop stuff though.

As for the dodge, just check this video:

But keep in mind. Although RE3's dodge is cool as hell, it's a... hard temperament. Against zombies it's very, very hard to pull of so just ignore it. The easiest enemy do dodge is actually Nemesis. You can practice dodges against him. But even against the monster it can be quite unreliable. So dodge should always be a last resort.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Do what your heart tells you when a big lumbering mass of terror hulks towards you

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
If there was a least helpful comment awards, this would be nominated. Although possibly not, it would be a very big fight for those nominations.

Anyway OP, there is no right way to play RE3. Running away from Nemesis and fighting him are equally valid (and imo entertaining) options. The right choice then is what is more natural to you, if you think running away is the best option, go for it. Nemesis is tough, and downing him is no easy task. And as you implied, it takes a lot of ammo and likely healing itens. So trying to put me in your position, I'd play hard and avoid Nemesid when I can. Your first fight with him only occurs later in the game, by that time you would have both the magnum and the granade laucher, either use gunpowder to make bullets for the magnum CCC (C being A + B) or freeze rounds (CC). The later is a cooler choice if you ask me. Although the former is possibly a more powerful combo.

If you do want to face Nemesis everytime, then play on easy. You get a lot of weapons that make facing him a much simpler task. Use the magnum and you should have a much easier time. He won't drop stuff though.

As for the dodge, just check this video:

But keep in mind. Although RE3's dodge is cool as hell, it's a... hard temperament. Against zombies it's very, very hard to pull of so just ignore it. The easiest enemy do dodge is actually Nemesis. You can practice dodges against him. But even against the monster it can be quite unreliable. So dodge should always be a last resort.

Thanks

If I play Easy then Hard , does anything carry over? like unlockables?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Thanks

If I play Easy then Hard , does anything carry over? like unlockables?

I think not. I believe the difficulty is locked in your savefile. I can be wrong though so someone else might correct me.

Also, keep in mind that Nemesis' difficulty is strongly tied to where you're fighting him. The first fight in front of the RPD has one of the more friendly scenarios to fight him, while the second in the RPD one of the least friendly (that's why a lot of people use a trick to fight him inside the police station). The more open the area the better. So for the first time I would fight him in the RPD, use the trick to fight him inside the RPD (just google it), in the third one fight him with Carlos inside the Dinner or escape until the area where you open the gate and fight him there, the 4th go to the Power Station right after you get the battery, use the emergy exit when the live action triggers and fight him there, the 5th... that's one of the hardest one as it is in a very narrow corridor. At the clock tower, electrocute him and then flee to the main hall and the 7th just fight him there and then.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I recall it being fairly challenging to fight him every encounter, but i think it's worth it. There are some exploits though. He always grabs with his right arm I think so as long as your go to his left you'll avoid his grab all the time. The weapons you get from beating him each encounter helps as well. I want to say the ice grenade rounds hurt him a lot as well.

Dodging was reasonably tight unreliable as well. I think it's circle right before you get attacked. Varies enemy to enemy.

Last edited: