• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has Omar given any speeches or writings about her strategies about her game plan for this? A reason why this was bought up is because I've had this conversation before regarding Omar's tactics and generally gotten either silence or just a vague idea to piss off the leadership until something breaks.
So you think MLK had all this planned out at the start, is it?

Like, that's the entire crux of your criticism of politicians like Omar and AOC. That they don't have 10 year plans you can refer to, but you do believe MLK did.

Let me clue you in on a concept: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindsight_bias

You've imposed an arc onto someone's history, then assumed that that arc must've been intentional. The way hindsight works is, when you look backwards, you see the history laid out before you so you can draw a line through events, but while you're living it, while you're living in that line, you can't see it at all. You see MLK's success, and assume that it must've been planned out.

However, in my estimation, MLK is just one member of a generation of activists, the one who happened to achieve the most historical notoriety. He did not singlehandedly make the Civil Rights movement. The movement was made up of everyone who lived and marched and protested in that era. MLK simply had the fortune, or misfortune, to be its most famous member. Attributing some kind of superhuman mastermindedness to him is just so incomprehensibly bizarre. The man was under FBI surveillance for a third of his life. Do you think if he had a 20 year plan it would've escape their notice? Or are you now going to argue that the FBI was secret allies with MLK and that they did not in fact threaten him with censure or worse? Are you going to claim now that the FBI surveillance was also planned for, or that he successfully hid his agenda from the FBI and this is why he's successful?

Absolutely ridiculous. You live in a fantasy world where society moves on the impulses of certain inspired individuals with "plans", instead of the stochastic motion of the masses from which a few people stand out. Of course, this explains a lot about your rhetoric. I don't think you can even believe in collective action, how can collectiveness exist in your worldview if only the individual can move societies?

Last edited:

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Lots of innocent people were dying by US drone strikes for a long time and finally a politician was brave enough to speak up about this.

But no, please tone police any criticism because it's "our side" an we need to be complicit with our own party's war crimes in order to win and that's good because the other side is worse.

That's why foriegn people can die, because their lives aren't on the same level as LGBT rights or whatever else the party considers acceptable to stand for.

Its okay to be complicit in being shit, as long as you are not as shit as the other side, accept being shit.

You have to wonder how low you've gotten when your standards are "just be better than the GOP"

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The point of politics is to solve these things through means other than physical violence" he says, immediately after just justifying the slaughter of 3 million Koreans.
When your country has been invaded by a hostile enemy force, the time to solve it primarily through politics has passed. And no, you do not get to up the number and pin all deaths, both South Korean and North Korean, on the United States when it is North Korea who invaded and initiated the conflict.
You are so far removed from the realities of these horrific wars you're advocating for that anything you write on the topic is immensely pointless, I can't believe you're actually trying to talk down to me on this matter when I am a victim of US war crimes and actually have suffered at the hands of empire. War should not be a fucking response in any measure, it is a disgusting and abhorrent act that only brings endless suffering to everyone involved.
Then again, you're the guy who compared the restructuring of a videogame forum to the Iraq war so it's to be expected that you don't really know the brutal reality of living in a war zone.
I exist in the US because of ancestors who had to flee anti-semitism in Europe in the run-up to the Holocaust. Should the US have just stayed out of World War II? Even past Pearl Harbor? War is always going to be an inevitability that we can never put permanently behind us, because people are horribly flawed. But that doesn't mean that we should actively be going out and seeking things like yes, Iraq, under a delusion that actively starting one without cause is a good thing.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I exist in the US because of ancestors who had to flee anti-semitism in Europe in the run-up to the Holocaust. Should the US have just stayed out of World War II? Even past Pearl Harbor? War is always going to be an inevitability that we can never put permanently behind us, because people are horribly flawed. But that doesn't mean that we should actively be going out and seeking things like yes, Iraq, under a delusion that actively starting one without cause is a good thing.
I exist because the North Vietnamese communist guerillas beat back the US army and forced them to withdraw from Vietnam before their village got massacred in another "routine bombing run". Your anti-Communist views would probably lead you to believe this was a mistake and losing Vietnam terrible for the Vietnamese but let me tell you that the US troops over there were evil incarnate. War may or may not be near at all times but it certainly doesn't help when the United States is actively exacerbating it, helped along by apologists like you who will forever justify any war crimes the US takes part in, because they had good intentions. You're still not even addressing the human cost of war, you're just spouting meaningless platitudes about how war is inevitable and people are terrible, that really makes me feel satisfied as someone who's auntie can't walk because of the United States.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I exist because the North Vietnamese communist guerillas beat back the US army and forced them to withdraw from Vietnam before their village got massacred in another "routine bombing run". War may always be near but it doesn't help when the United States is actively exacerbating it, helped along by apologists like you who will forever justify any war crimes the US takes part in, because they had good intentions.
And yet I'm not justifying Vietnam, or Iraq.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
And yet I'm not justifying Vietnam, or Iraq.
You're tacitly endorsing the deaths of millions of North Koreans using these very same justifications, fuck the fact that the North Koreans started it, does that justify the United States "bombing every single brick and dam", undoubtedly killing millions of civilians who were uninvolved in the conflict?
Answer that question first before you talk about the costs of war being justified.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
I remember a time when hating Obama was a bannable offense after getting slapped with a list of all the great things "grand emperor Obama did"
how the times have changed.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Yes, that's what Obama did. He personally approved strikes on innocent civilians and actually went out of his way to specficially target them. This is exactly what I mean by "childish" assessments.

So what's the 'adult' assessment then? You spoke as if it isn't true but you offered nothing to the contrary.

What's your 'adult' response to this?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/05/obama-administration-drone-strikes-war-crimes

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-drones-are-presumed-to-be-terrorists/257749/

So, Obama pushed a policy whereby:

1) First responders to bombings were hit again, under the assumption that they were allies of the terrorists that were bombed in the first wave

2) If you were a "military aged male", and you were bombed, you were assumed to be a terrorist unless intelligence proved otherwise posthumously

anamika

May 18, 2018
You do get to have it both ways because the world isn't the 1950s and the two situations are completely radically different. If you can't understand that the options available in the 1950s to the US, South Korean and other UN forces facing a massive incursion of North Korean aligned forces are completely different than the options we have to dealing with an apartheid state in the year 2019, the level of banal reductionism you're descending to amounts to the point of parody, because I refuse to believe that one could just be willing to say something along the lines of "oh well nukes ended the war in Japan why don't we just use them every time" and be totally serious.

Why is this guy not banned yet? Continuing to justify war crimes and the mass slaughter of millions of people and decimation of 20% of a nation's population and the total destruction of their infrastructure - all this is okay because it was the fifties guys.

There is someone in this thread who has been personally affected by the violence you so nonchalantly shrug off. Because it was the fifties and therefore mass slaughter is alright? Everything bad done before the Geneva conventions were imposed is right? Is that seriously your argument? Think carefully before you answer.

The fact that you are unable to empathize with the millions of INNOCENT dead civilians and their families shows what your thinking is like. And it shows how very little you think of these Korean lives.

Your racism and white supremacy is seeping through these posts. You may not be overtly racist but it's very clear in how little you think of the deaths of non-Americans who are not white. You don't care one iota about the Palestinians. You are more concerned about whether some American down the street may misconstrue Omar's words and be offended than the Palestinians being bombed and tortured and oppressed in the West Bank. But hey, North Korea invaded South Korea and that justifies the mass slaughter of a million innocent souls.

RedFyn

Oct 25, 2017
War should not be a fucking response in any measure, it is a disgusting and abhorrent act that only brings endless suffering to everyone involved, to advocate for war at all is to advocate for mass rape, mass murder and the slaughter of innocent men, women and children.
Do you really believe this? I understand that you wish it were true but I don't see how you could rationally think this. Unless you only mean this in the case of starting a war rather than defending oneself? Surely there comes a point where fighting back is the only option, no? And do you not see any situations where war was the best option as bad as it is? (example: the cost of the American civil war vs slavery continuing)

I understand you have a much closer and raw view of the realities of war but I just can't agree that there haven't been cases where war was the best option. The American Civil War, World War II (for the allies obviously), China fighting Japan in World War II. I believe at some point you have to do something. The issue is that everyone has a different point at which they believe war is necessary and I don't think that will ever change.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really, we have american war apologists on this forum? People who are justifying war crimes? Makes me wanna puke.

Fuck, Im out.

Why is this guy not banned yet? Continuing to justify war crimes and the mass slaughter of millions of people and decimation of 20% of a nation's population and the total destruction of their infrastructure - all this is okay because it was the fifties guys.

There is someone in this thread who has been personally affected by the violence you so nonchalantly shrug off. Because it was the fifties and therefore mass slaughter is alright? Everything bad done before the Geneva conventions were imposed is right? Is that seriously your argument? Think carefully before you answer.

The fact that you are unable to empathize with the millions of INNOCENT dead civilians and their families shows what your thinking is like. And it shows how very little you think of these Korean lives.

Your racism and white supremacy is seeping through these posts. You may not be overtly racist but it's very clear in how little you think of the deaths of non-Americans who are not white. You don't care one iota about the Palestinians. You are more concerned about whether some American down the street may misconstrue Omar's words and be offended than the Palestinians being bombed and tortured and oppressed in the West Bank. But hey, North Korea invaded South Korea and that justifies the mass slaughter of a million innocent souls.

Just wanting to say this is a good post and I agreed.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Do you really believe this? I understand that you wish it were true but I don't see how you could rationally think this. Unless you only mean this in the case of starting a war rather than defending oneself? Surely there comes a point where fighting back is the only option, no? And do you not see any situations where war was the best option as bad as it is? (example: the cost of the American civil war vs slavery continuing)

I understand you have a much closer and raw view of the realities of war but I just can't agree that there haven't been cases where war was the best option. The American Civil War, World War II (for the allies obviously), China fighting Japan in World War II. I believe at some point you have to do something. The issue is that everyone has a different point at which they believe war is necessary and I don't think that will ever change.
Do not fucking talk to me about how war is the best option when you've never suffered through one as a civilian, the United States has no fucking right being anywhere, the idea that you have to do something to fight "evil" (evil being a very subjective term depending on which country does not align with our interests) in the first place is poison that continues to feed the endless grinder that kills countless innocents for literally zero reason.
You've clearly never had a relative raped and brutalised by soldiers, otherwise you'd never say something as fucking stupid as war being the best option.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Sure. In political terms, Obama was pretty much a continuation of Clinton. Medicare was his biggest change policy, which in the Western world was only really progressive in the US / Australian context...Otherwise, his record was mixed. Of course, the blame isn't solely on him at all, it is his administration...Aside from him being afro-caucasian mixed race, which is a big deal for a US president to be anything other than overtly caucasian, he was a continuity president.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really like how AOC handled this whole thing, I expected her to be a stauncher defender of Omar, but this goes back to what she was saying a month ago.
o-CALL-TIME2-570.jpg

The state of US legislative politics is: "Win, then spend half your career making sure you win reelection by calling donors and looking for cash. If you have time to spare in between campaigning and donor-calling, you might get something done."

For all the hysteria around AOC she's much savvier and more practical than she's depicted. Omar, while I appreciate her sticking to her core beliefs, is doing everything she can to make sure she's a one term congresswoman. Obama is quite literally the most popular political figure in the Democratic Party. Attacking his legacy is politically one of the dumbest things you can do as a freshman Democrat serving during one of the worst Republican administrations the country has ever seen.

Omar is going to get primaried and she's going to lose.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Do not fucking talk to me about how war is the best option when you've never suffered through one as a civilian, the United States has no fucking right being anywhere, the idea that you have to do something to fight "evil" (evil being a very subjective term depending on which country does not align with our interests) in the first place is poison that continues to feed the endless grinder that kills countless innocents for literally zero reason.
You've clearly never had a relative raped and brutalised by soldiers, otherwise you'd never say something as fucking stupid as war being the best option.

Dude... I know this means little from a stranger you don't even know in the Internet but, I'm really sorry about the bolded. I am at loss for words here. Hopefully you are doing alright right now, wherever you are.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing concerns surrounding sexual assault and antagonizing other members

What a childish response and very wrong, I'm glad anti-interventionists are a minority honestly.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For all the hysteria around AOC she's much savvier and more practical than she's depicted. Omar, while I appreciate her sticking to her core beliefs, is doing everything she can to make sure she's a one term congresswoman. Obama is quite literally the most popular political figure in the Democratic Party. Attacking his legacy is politically one of the dumbest things you can do as a freshman Democrat serving during one of the worst Republican administrations the country has ever seen.

This is nonsense

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Omar should be here to say and deserves our support

Whether there was appropriate finesse or not its bringing important issues at the forefront

And despite being smeared she seems to be holding her ground

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really, we have american war apologists on this forum? People who are justifying war crimes? Makes me wanna puke.

Fuck, Im out.

Just wanting to say this is a good post and I agreed.
This is a Democrat, Inc. forum not a progressive one. The tree of wealthy White liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of Asians, Arabs, and Africans. The Party leaders would agree!

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019
When your country has been invaded by a hostile enemy force, the time to solve it primarily through politics has passed. And no, you do not get to up the number and pin all deaths, both South Korean and North Korean, on the United States when it is North Korea who invaded and initiated the conflict.

Good thing that the US somehow has the mandate to come in and carpet bomb the entire country and kill off 3 million people...What a disgusting logic bordering on racist paternalism towards Koreans.

What a childish response and very wrong, I'm glad anti-interventionists are a minority honestly.

Even more disgusting. Absolutely appalling post.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Uncalled-for hostility towards another member.

Fuck, Im out.
Agreed, you really should stay out of threads about nuanced topics that require critical thinking where you can't just shout "I'm a norwegian anti-EU hard leftist" to get a reaction out of people.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Is she wrong? Nope! We must speak truth to power, even if they're on our own side.

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018

Thank you, every time I see this person post I want to go play Smash Bros and beat the crap out of Kirby.

Oct 25, 2017
She's absolutely right. The man is another war criminal like many before him.
I've said this for years and I'll keep saying it.

The talk about "hope and change" was ultimately hogwash.

Oct 25, 2017
Barack Obama is not a war criminal. We are at war in Afghanistan and he used drone strikes in an effort to kill the enemy. That does not make him a war criminal.
The fuck has that got to do with Yemen?

Really, we have american war apologists on this forum? People who are justifying war crimes? Makes me wanna puke..
They've been here, glad they're just outing themselves. In fact there have been dogwhistles about this shit in the past, from Bush threads to Mccain.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

I believe war is the last measure that needs to be considered with deliberate cause. The world needs to agree and it should be a joint action. WW2 and the Bosnia-Serbia-Yugoslavia intervention where genocide was happening are good examples. The drone stuff, cowboy military adventures in Middle East, CIA involvement in Latin America, etc. That needs to end.

Nov 10, 2017
I hate the "both sides" are bad bullshit. You can argue against a particular policy, like drones and immigration, and still understand how Barrack Obama is leaps and bounds different from Donald Trump and his infinite lies, racism, corruption, scandals, and destructive policies. But sure. They're both bad. Vote Nader!

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
This is a Democrat, Inc. forum not a progressive one. The tree of wealthy White liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of Asians, Arabs, and Africans. The Party leaders would agree!
*nancypelosiclap.gif*

The imperialist contingent on this site is getting raked over the coals on this one and honestly, it's about time. Sick of hearing how we have to invade Venezuela or how we have to sanction Iran. America is and has been a bully and we're finally seeing people who counter that.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I hate the "both sides" are bad bullshit. You can argue against a particular policy, like drones and immigration, and still understand how Barrack Obama is leaps and bounds different from Donald Trump and his infinite lies, racism, corruption, scandals, and destructive policies. But sure. They're both bad. Vote Nader!
You call such a thing the lesser of (two) evils. People want better. Ruling on injustice can't be the standard forever dude

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Oddly for somebody who claims to be left Kirblar's only able to empathise with those who suffer under (perceived) left wing governments. The huge gap in rational between him having no issue calling out corrupt elections in Venezuela whilst trying to constantly justify Hamas as the will of the Palestinian people (You know; despite the fact there's not even been a sham election since they gained 'power' over a decade ago, the fact that failed Western intervention was one of the major causes them to be elected in the first place, and the other being the oppression/displacement/slow rolling genocide of Palestinians over decades) is all you really need to know about them if them trying to use Korea to justify the US propping up fascist regimes who commit atrocities such as mass rape/murder throughout the world isn't enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Manifest Destiny still got a lot of Americans fucked up.
Almost everywhere they went and fought turned to shit and in the end of those conflicts they still believed they did good.
Every thread that details what they've done in their wars you'll have fucksticks coming out of the woods to defend America's sanctity.

"War being the best option". Sick..

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No Barack Obama was a fantastic president who had to make difficult geo political choices. He's no lesser evil and I would vote for him again in a second

The tough geopolitical choice of bombing two guys doing jumping jacks because they might be terrorists? Or how about bombing weddings? Or Yemen? Or supporting a fascist apartheid ethnostate?

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
No Barack Obama was a fantastic president who had to make difficult geo political choices. He's no lesser evil and I would vote for him again in a second
He wasn't a bad person for a change and he may have had his heart in the right place I won't deny those things, but a lot of injustice was still being pushed forward behind the curtains and the chaos that ensued was still a continuity of other presidents so in that regard nothing had really changed.

I don't understand what's so difficult about saying things as they are. I find people who hesitate to point out the atrocities caused by certain countries, and actually being allianced with them even to be absolute weak, cowardly and hypocrites. So in the end despite Obama being cool as a person, I do not respect him

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018

Fuck, Im out.

With you, for all the shit we give to the GOP, the exceptions given to certain policies strikes me as bizzarro land.

Its like some people here are implying that certain lives don't matter.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Ah so now epic state and city level fuck ups are Obama's fault. Thanks Obama
When the city of Flint asks for the Army Corps of Engineers to be brought in and for control to be taken away from the Governor, and the Administration ignores them. Not only ignores them, but does a PR stunt in Flint that was beat-for-beat exactly like the Governor's? Then yes, I do lay some blame at the administration's feet, as do the people of Flint.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This sounds a lot like, "Coulda, shoulda, woulda." when in reality, Obama was one of the best presidents this generation is going to get.

He wasn't perfect, at all, but he wasn't a "mirage" of hope and change. That's ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
The tough geopolitical choice of bombing two guys doing jumping jacks because they might be terrorists? Or how about bombing weddings? Or Yemen? Or supporting a fascist apartheid ethnostate?
Those victims who were bombed aren't valued. People who were victims of these "mistakes" were just not valued as human beings. It's as simple as that.
In the end it's just another part of the supremacy cycle. The constant covering up of these "mistakes" from supporters is proof of that in my eyes anyway.
The apologists here can say what they like, but it is what it is.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

I see that you disagree with him, but what has he done that warrants a banning?

Status
Not open for further replies.