• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Exactly. What the fuck, why are you bringing this up now?

2019 has bigger problems than the sins that Obama committed. I don't get this woman. We need to unify as a party and work together to bring down Trump, not this infighting bullshit.
It's not infighting. It's literally pointing out the biggest problem America faces as a country. it's more important than calling trump stupid or whatever. Trump will gone relatively soon whatever happens.

Oct 26, 2017
She's great:
"I think you endanger your majority by not doing what got you into the majority. And this is something that the Republicans often are in tune with that the Democrats are not. We seem to be afraid of our own shadow. We've become too afraid, I think, to actually listen to the people, and to recognize who our base is," she says. "I'm fascinated by Republicans. They seem to have, for good or bad, a full understanding of their base and complete loyalty to them. We have a bigger base, but we seem to not understand them or have loyalty to them. When you are constantly trying to figure out how to appease everyone, you end up not appeasing anyone."

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool to see calling a black muslim woman facing death threats and political backstabbing by her own party "stupid". What a nice forum.

Simpsons quote with "fucking" added in front of it. Settle down.

iubiu92xdka11.gif

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not taking issue with you specifically, but I just feel like saying that, as someone who was watching things at the time when Obama took office, there was always a Left-wing there saying what was right, and always an establishment figure mocking them for being too radical and shooing them away. "Hindsight is 20/20" is an easy way of papering over the fact that there were people there, at the time, who were saying exactly the same thing now, and should've been listened to all along. I remember leftists saying "get rid of the filibuster" 10 years ago, predicting everything that would happen in the near future if we didn't to the exact letter, and now some people are finally saying "Eh, maybe we need some sort of filibuster reform.."

I agree. I just think that before Trump the potential for the country to trend progressive and actually improve was there. I just think its wrong to place the blame squarely on Obama when for him being the first black president was a big deal, and trying to not get lynched by racist Republicans seemed like a contant struggle. Little did he know that being completely inoffensive would still launch nazis and hatred into the stratosphere. I think it's pointless to keep looking back at him when the current Democrats have seen the results of their ineffectual lack of effort and are still not championing people like Omar.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Obama was an incremental move in the right direction for America. But that does mean he had the ability to magical fix all the shitty thing America has been involved in for centuries. He also did not have a congress that backed his move for most of his terms. American cry about wanting healthcare, but the sure did gather in mass to vote out their representatives that gave us the first stepping stone since the New Deal. American don't want war, yet they want cheap gas and gas guzzlers without having cut back on their own consumption.

It is not just the leaders in America that is the problem, it the culture of the people. The people, even liberals, tend to be greedy, it got mine, screw everyone else mindset.

Omar is not wrong. People loved listing to Obama message of hope and change. But the majority of those same people never lifted a finger to help enact that hope and change.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
She has no political awareness whatsoever. What's the play here, to get center right people angry at you and once you accomplish that get center left people angry at you too? Going after Obama after all the BS he had to put up with from not only the right but people who claimed to be democrats as well is just a huge no no. Remember folks, it was democrats and independents who demanded the public option be taken off the table.

Is she there to try and get something accomplished or just make everyone dislike her so much they don't want to work with her on anything?

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, she is right. I am a big fan of Obama, but disagreed with a lot of his foreign policy stuff, which seemed to be very similar to Bush's foreign policy.
That's because Israel and Saudi Arabia control the United States' foreign policy. Whether a democrat or republican is in the White House, one thing is always certain in every administration: you are beholden to AIPAC, Israel and Saudi.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Taken from OT but this is what AOC has had to say of Obama in the past.

Both things are true. Liberals were content to sit on their butts during midterms which hamstrung how much Obama could get through congress. At the same time, Obama's foreign policy and his attitude towards dealing with Republicans even prior to 2010 is entirely on him.

Obama with a solid Dem congress for 8 years = better, but still problematic.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
She's not wrong, and I can't help but respect her fearlessness in saying things that aren't supposed to be said, even though they're true. Obama failed to correct the US's violent and destructive foreign policy. That's a fact.

But her choice of words is again cumbersome and unnecessarily controversial. I see the "mirage" comment and I get pissed off. If she hadn't said that part, I'd have no concern over what she said. She's going to run out of allies very quickly if she keeps doing this.

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019
Imagine walking into the Trump hellscape that is politics in 2019 and saying: the REAL problem is Obama wasn't pure enough.

it's almost as if Obama is a clear-cut example of the shittiness of the Democratic Party in how they are basically just Republicans when it comes to slaughter of civilians - except they do so with a sad face and a silver tongue.

This is kind of unfair, there's only so much Obama could have done with so many Republicans sabotaging him at every corner

You don't remember the first couple of years where his administration constantly wanted to appease the Republicans and never got around to doing much, if anything? Despite controlling the House and Senate and able to push through all kinds of leftist policies?

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Imagine walking into the Trump hellscape that is politics in 2019 and saying: the REAL problem is Obama wasn't pure enough.

Totally agree. I don't know what is Illhan's game here. She needs to learn how to focus on important matters and attacking a previous Democratic president who is loved by a lot isn't it. Whether you believed in him or not, liked him or not, there are better targets to go after. Jesus

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. What the fuck, why are you bringing this up now?

2019 has bigger problems than the sins that Obama committed. I don't get this woman. We need to unify as a party and work together to bring down Trump, not this infighting bullshit.

This is the full article about the differences in vision between the new and old members of Democratic party:
https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...an-phillips-minnesota-democratic-party-225696

Plus if you're worried about unity, I'm guessing you missed the entire episode this past week where Dem leadership threw one of their own to the wolves despite objections from many within.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is it relevant now? Really how is it? How does this have to do with anything going on in the political environment now.

She's feeling heat so now she has to point a finger at Obama saying he wasn't all that great either?
Are you REALLY not seeing the point she is making here? The American imperialist war machine has been committing non stop violations of international law since we basically helped put the damn thing together. Its not enough to be better than pubs on the home front while we carry out the same murders over seas as they do which results in killing innocent people, interfering with other states sovereignty, locking up and mass deporting immigrants-its an indictment at the complicity of the status quo by the dem party that if not called out for will continue happening. Shes drawing attention to institutional patterns of behavior, by using a figure others have point out has 90% support from dems to evidence this point. Its not enough to just be better than republicans.

This is the type of confrontation we should be actively rooting for from our politicians. Shes literally repudiating the status quo and pushing to be a better party. I'm also never going to be upset that someone brings our attention to victims of war crimes that have yet to see justice. Its incredibly relevant.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
She's right, and she has to be perceptive of how this will be taken and hope she has a plan alongside her colleagues to focus and use this messaging for good. Worth a shot!

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of unfair, there's only so much Obama could have done with so many Republicans sabotaging him at every corner
It's true, Republicans certainly sabotaged Obama in a lot of ways, and the losses in both chambers of Congress over his term certainly doesn't help, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the specific examples Omar brought up, such as his foreign policy where Republicans had more limited say. So it's certainly a good thing she picked the examples she did and wasn't say, blamin' Obama for not getting single-payer healthcare/a public healthcare option passed or anything that would have fallen more on Republicans than anything.
Omar: "Maybe the apartheid state is bad"

Virtually every democrat: "WE HEREBY DENOUNCE. THIS CANNOT STAND. PLEASE STAND DOWN OR BE EXCOMMUNICATED FROM THE PARTY"

Omar: "Wow the democrat establishment is really fucked up"

Dozens of posters in this thread: "Wow Omar at it again ruining the unity of the almighty democratic party"
Indeed. Very interesting where unity matters and where it doesn't.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Obama believes in the framework because he was successful in the framework. Not able to truly understand how broken it is. Just a very limited leader.

This motherfucker bombed a wedding! He killed American citizens without trial. The NSA ran roughshod on privacy rights under his watch! Economic inequality increased. His signature piece of legislation forced Americans to buy into private health care.
Goes back to the idea that a lot of these politicians see their positions as just a job, something where you go through the motions and play by the current rules and get the paycheck, and not a responsibility to the citizens.

Which, in Omar's case right now, puts her between a rock and a hard place. Does she risk her future political career by making these comments? Or does she keep mum about it until she's in a stronger position to make a change, which carries a risk in itself of getting caught up in the same mentality as others (or getting worn down by the machine) by the time she reaches that position?

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you just dont talk about killing thousands of innocent civilians when it flies in the face of political decorum. /s
Yes, because use he woke up one morning and thought "Hey, ya know what would be fun? Let's go kill some civilians!" There's a bit more nuance here than just calling him a mass murderer. This isn't Call of Duty where he gleefully called in an airstrike.

One can be critical of his role in the drone strikes, but making him out as a madman is ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
There's plenty to criticize Obama for and there's ways to do it. Implying he was faking the hopes and dreams campaign is completely unfair. She needs to do better.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So, she's most likely asked why she ran for office, and people are mad that she gave an honest (can mostly correct) answer to that question?

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Remember how so many democrats, journalists and ERA posters were big on "holding members of your own party accountable" and "having higher standards" when Omar was criticizing AIPAC a few weeks ago?

Where y'all at??

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
She's not wrong, but this is not helpful either? What was the context of saying this?

How well did having a bunch of young ideologue Representatives in the caucus work out for Boehner and Ryan? Again, even though she's correct, this is the sort of off-message unforced error that Trump makes all the time. When the party finally gets to stop talking about Omar and talk about the bills they want (lots of Dems came out and complained the the Omar thing this week took all the air out of their voting reform bill etc), now she says this? And turns the narrative for the rest of the week/weekend into "Dems turning on Obama, Trump was right!"

For what purpose?

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I am so tired of this tone policing against Ilhan Omar.
Reminds me of this article:
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles...-color-unless-they-are-politically-to-my-left

Then there are women of color like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, Nina Turner, and Angela Davis. I really want to like them because it's beneficial to me to use them as props, but I just can't get behind them once they start expressing their beliefs. On one hand, it's like, "Yass kween, do your thang!" but on the other hand it's like, "No kween, please do not do your thang, I am laundering money through a shell corporation registered in Delaware and it simply cannot be taxed." Again, my problem is not with their skin tone or sex. I love that stuff about them. It's their hearts and minds and choices and beliefs I don't like. And isn't that what Martin Luther King Jr. once said — "Judge not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character"? I know he also talked about the dangers of the "white moderate," but I have to assume he was talking about an entirely different white person — probably Bernie Sanders.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's not divorced from reality, most people tend to skew center/center right. Even liberals. The fact that most dems love Obama despite his failings in certain aspects is an indictment on Americans in general. We'll gloss over a lot of things if we like the person who's doing it.
I'm not glossing over anything, I can criticize his drone policy or his failure to prosecute Wall Street over the financial crisis while also acknowledging the wealth of good he did on health care, climate change, net neutrality, Dreamers, Iran, etc. The only people glossing over shit in here are the ones calling him a horrible person who did nothing good for anybody. Of course, maybe I'm just a secret Republican.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dozens of posters in this thread: "Wow Omar at it again ruining the unity of the almighty democratic party"
This thread is proof that people don't hold the Democrats to a high enough standard simply because "eh, there are worse things"

It's a good way to make sure your party stays status quo garbage.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dems: listen to black women, they are the base of the party!

*Ilhan says something true and necessary but doesn't comport with white liberals view of the country*

Dems: no, don't listen to her. She's fucking up 2020!

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, because use he woke up one morning and thought "Hey, ya know what would be fun? Let's go kill some civilians!" There's a bit more nuance here than just calling him a mass murderer. This isn't Call of Duty where he gleefully called in an airstrike.

One can be critical of his role in the drone strikes, but making him out as a madman is ridiculous.
I really don't care what his rationale for killing thousdands of innocent people were and the fact we need to bring it up to excuse it is telling. It isn't unique to Obama but it needs to be called for what it is. Don't be mad when people call a spade a spade. He might not have been insane, but he certainly was a war criminal.

Oct 26, 2017
It's not infighting or wrong to point out that the American political system is heavily flawed and that in some ways both parties do share some similarities. She never says Obama is as worse as Trump. What she's saying is that he was working in the same "broken framework" as his Republican counterparts.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
She's super brave. We need voices like hers. I'm sure she's lost a lot of support already in the party, so she might as well be honest. I dont think her constituents will ever be mad her. Her seat is comfortable, IMO. I'm glad to see her use her powers for good.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not glossing over anything, I can criticize his drone policy or his failure to prosecute Wall Street over the financial crisis while also acknowledging the wealth of good he did on health care, climate change, net neutrality, Dreamers, Iran, etc. The only people glossing over shit in here are the ones calling him a horrible person who did nothing good for anybody. Of course, maybe I'm just a secret Republican.

Lol, you can't even engage in the topic without projecting your ego and building strawmen to victimize yourself.

"Obama did some fucked up things" is miles away from "Obama didn't do anything good"

You'll be hard pressed to find anybody ITT who has said as much

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
I really don't care what his rationale for killing thousdands of innocent people were and the fact we need to bring it up to excuse it is telling. It isn't unique to Obama but it needs to be called for what it is. Don't be mad when people call a spade a spade. He might not have been insane, but he certainly was a war criminal.

I don't know what your goal is by using a definition of war criminal that every leader of every country would fit into.

Oct 25, 2017
Remember how so many democrats, journalists and ERA posters were big on "holding members of your own party accountable" and "having higher standards" when Omar was criticizing AIPAC a few weeks ago?

Where y'all at??

All for criticizing Obama, but "holding him accountable" He's out of office. He won't be held accountable. But people are going to look at her quote and say she equated Obama to Trump and she's going to make even more trouble for herself.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, will read the article, seems interesting.

The Obama part is 2 paragraphs out of the giant article. Her perspective is basically that Dems don't know what to focus on and they should listen to their constituents.

"I think you endanger your majority by not doing what got you into the majority. And this is something that the Republicans often are in tune with that the Democrats are not. We seem to be afraid of our own shadow. We've become too afraid, I think, to actually listen to the people, and to recognize who our base is," she says. "I'm fascinated by Republicans. They seem to have, for good or bad, a full understanding of their base and complete loyalty to them. We have a bigger base, but we seem to not understand them or have loyalty to them. When you are constantly trying to figure out how to appease everyone, you end up not appeasing anyone."

The problem as Omar sees it—and not coincidentally, as some Tea Party conservatives saw it back in 2011—is that many of her fellow freshmen didn't come to Washington to fight.

"I don't believe that tiptoeing is the way to win the hearts and the minds of the people," she says. "I get saddened by some of my freshman colleagues who can't understand that within their districts the idea of Medicare for All is extremely popular. The Green New Deal is a very popular idea in their districts. Making sure that we have a final fix to our broken immigration system is very popular in their districts. What they pay attention to is the rhetoric that says, 'This is a red-to-blue district, you have to be careful, you can't talk about these policies.' Well, in reality, these people are like everyone else: They struggle with the cost of health care, they struggle with our broken infrastructure, they struggle with having an economy that brings them into the 21st century. And we have to be willing to have those conversations."

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
How is it relevant now? Really how is it? How does this have to do with anything going on in the political environment now.

She's feeling heat so now she has to point a finger at Obama saying he wasn't all that great either?
Sure if that's what you want to take away. It can't be that America is an empire dominated by two parties that do horrible things and self undermine despite the best efforts of the democratic establishment to make you believe otherwise.

Dems: listen to black women, they are the base of the party!

*Ilhan says something true and necessary but doesn't comport with white liberals view of the country*

Dems: no, don't listen to her. She's fucking up 2020!
yuuuuup
a little truth is a dangerous thing when you want to existing in a quantized moral landscape where everything you do is relative to the other guy

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
People's reflexive questioning of the wisdom of saying this need to consider maybe not every opinion a politican holds is part of a political calculus to maintain power. Politicians only expressing things they consider safe is part of why so many of them are insufferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.