• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I see only one way to react to good news. "Good stuff", "Amazing!", etc. Feels like someone else took the words out of my mouth already so it's difficult for me to write something without saying what others already wrote. So I tend to browse good news threads without replying.

In comparison, it is much easier to say something novel in bad news threads. At least in the scope of the thread
That's very true! I think the problem I have with that though is a lot of the commentary in the negative Biden stories/articles (besides being extremely bad faith interpretations of whatever's happening, i.e. complaining about Richmond having ties to oil/energy in a position that has nothing to do with it) acts as if none of the positive stuff is even happening. If Biden makes a bad pick then sure, you should be able to express your disappointment in that, but if he makes one bad pick and ten good ones, the refrain of "HE'S JUST AS BAD AS TRUMP" every time he does something that wouldn't even make a dent in a "top 1000 worst things Trump ever did" list is utterly hyperbolic and just poisons the conversation.

I find myself in the position here of defending or playing devil's advocate for Biden/Pelosi/Harris/Hillary/etc. more often than I would elsewhere simply because the most common critique of them boils down to people who are still sour over Bernie losing and making themselves impossible to please.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This is incredible. A woman of color in the White House and a native woman in the cabinet? Two things I never thought I'd see growing up as a little Seminole girl. I'm thrilled to see this and hope she's confirmed for the job.

BTW when Rep. Haaland was sworn in, she wore traditional Pueblo dress and looked amazing.

rep-deb-haaland-today-main-190104-02_f0e35fa3019d9d92f0ce3a36c14efd4b.fit-1240w.jpg

Did she swear on the bible?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She's Christian so I assume so. Christianity runs deep in native communities due to hundreds of years of forced conversion and removing native children from families for adoption by white, Christian families.
Facts, and the government only very recently stopped doing that crap, we're talking the 70s.
Native American religions were illegal in the US until 1978...

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
User Banned (1 week): accusations of astroturfing, hostility
Im stealing this from Hasan Piker, but yall shilling for the Democratic party need to start showing the pay stubs from the Democratic Party when you post

One potential good doesnt somehow excuse everything else lmao, Like its not some crazy own you think it is.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Im stealing this from Hasan Piker, but yall shilling for the Democratic party need to start showing the pay stubs from the Democratic Party when you post

One potential good doesnt somehow excuse everything else lmao, Like its not some crazy own you think it is.

Not to take away from the potential big step for Haaland, I fully agree with this post. Don't take our foot off the pedal, let's make things better and get ready for the campaigns of 2022. Hopefully in 2022 they get out canvas and stop throwing money at what they did for the down ballot dems that lost this election.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fuck hasan piker first of all. No one is shilling for the dems, we are just not looking for every little thing to snipe at and jump down their throats for.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I want this REALLY bad. I hope it happens.

1. Who the fuck is Hasan Piker?
2. The pay stubs joke died back when DC fans though Disney was paying for positive Marvel reviews. Don't be a hack. Come up with a better joke.
3. Your second paragraph is complete nonsense. I mean, it's less a paragraph and more a run-on sentence, unless that comma is, actually... you know what, I've already spent more time on this than you have.

Deleted member 42641

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Fuck hasan piker first of all. No one is shilling for the dems, we are just not looking for every little thing to snipe at and jump down their throats for.

You got a harry potter icon you couldnt be more of a liberal lol

People have more than the right to be mad about everything the democrats do especially when the first move they made when biden won was start shitting on the progressives that are trying to somewhat save the party.

I hope Haaland gets the position and from what I know it seems like it would a legit net positive.

I want this REALLY bad. I hope it happens.

1. Who the fuck is Hasan Piker?
2. The pay stubs joke died back when DC fans though Disney was paying for positive Marvel reviews. Don't be a hack. Come up with a better joke.
3. Your second paragraph is complete nonsense. I mean, it's less a paragraph and more a run-on sentence, unless that comma is, actually... you know what, I've already spent more time on this than you have.

Lmaooo

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Haaland gets the position and from what I know it seems like it would a legit net positive.

Awfully strange to come in here guns blazing about everyone in here being a shill for the Democratic Party when they're really just expressing optimism about Haaland potentially being Interior Secretary...something that you yourself say right here!

I wish I was getting paid off by the DNC tbh, it would certainly make me feel like my politics posts here weren't complete wastes of time.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
She's pretty cool, so I hope she gets the position. Would bring some well needed energy and perspective to that admin

For those interested in her a little more
inthesetimes.com

This Progressive New Mexican Could Become the First Native-American Woman in Congress

Deb Haaland is running on a platform of Medicare-for-all, marijuana decriminalization, and renewable energy.
Having garnered endorsements from sitting members of Congress, including Pramila Jayapal (D‑Wash.) and Barbara Lee (D‑Calif.), Haaland is running a campaigning on a platform that includes Medicare for All, protecting DACA, legalizing marijuana and keeping fossil fuels in the ground. She also aims to scale up renewable energy as an engine for job creation. On Thursday, the climate advocacy group 350 Action endorsed Haaland, along withMaryland gubernatorial candidate and former NAACP head Ben Jealous, in the organization's first backings of the cycle.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope she gets this position. Hopefully this opens the door to more Native representation.

That's very true! I think the problem I have with that though is a lot of the commentary in the negative Biden stories/articles (besides being extremely bad faith interpretations of whatever's happening, i.e. complaining about Richmond having ties to oil/energy in a position that has nothing to do with it) acts as if none of the positive stuff is even happening. If Biden makes a bad pick then sure, you should be able to express your disappointment in that, but if he makes one bad pick and ten good ones, the refrain of "HE'S JUST AS BAD AS TRUMP" every time he does something that wouldn't even make a dent in a "top 1000 worst things Trump ever did" list is utterly hyperbolic and just poisons the conversation.

I was confused on the Richmond thing, since it didn't look like he was being put on a climate job.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This is incredible. A woman of color in the White House and a native woman in the cabinet? Two things I never thought I'd see growing up as a little Seminole girl. I'm thrilled to see this and hope she's confirmed for the job.

BTW when Rep. Haaland was sworn in, she wore traditional Pueblo dress and looked amazing.

rep-deb-haaland-today-main-190104-02_f0e35fa3019d9d92f0ce3a36c14efd4b.fit-1240w.jpg
Great picture, thanks for posting it.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You got a harry potter icon you couldnt be more of a liberal lol

People have more than the right to be mad about everything the democrats do especially when the first move they made when biden won was start shitting on the progressives that are trying to somewhat save the party.

Lmaooo

AOC and her progressives started it first with their bullshit gaslighting but this is not the topic for it.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised that her seat was republican for decades until 2009 when Martin Heinrich won it and has gone blue ever since.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Biden actually picks her. Not only does it make sense to have a Native American perspective in this department, but she seems to have some good policy too.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
I don't know why, but the fact all the choices are from New Mexico is funny to me. I never hear about that state's reps in national politics. Lots of tribes and land out there though!

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Biden makes good picks, crickets. Biden makes one iffy pick, out comes the "I KNEW BOTH SIDES WERE THE SAME" peanut gallery.

Here's something you and whomever else who doesn't really get progressives needs to understand:

Biden's not a dog that needs consistent reaffirmation from people to do what's expected of him.

If he's such a progressive president then he has four years to prove it. If you expect everyone to just offer him undying praise despite all the misgivings, that's a personal problem—don't wait for it, don't expect it. Accept the choices you made, and don't get upset the moment progressives present any sort of criticism, or don't give a fuck he did one good thing; his job is to court and placate the different groups, this is part of that.

Maybe you're okay with most things because of the position afforded to you. Not everyone is like that, or has the luxury for that. The sooner you accept it, the better.

Last edited:

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Here's something you and whomever else who doesn't really understands progressives needs to understand:

Biden's not a dog that needs consistent reaffirmation from people to do what's expected of him.

If he's such a progressive president then he has four years to prove it. If you expect everyone to just offer him undying praise despite all the misgivings, that's a personal problem—don't wait for it, don't expect it. Accept the choices you made, and don't get upset the moment progressives present any sort of criticism, or don't give a fuck he did one good thing; his job is to court and placate the different groups, this is part of that.

Maybe you're okay with most things because of the position afforded to you. Not everyone is like that, or has the luxury for that. The sooner you accept it, the better.
I think the assumption that the only reason someone wouldn't be flying off the handle over every single hiring decision is because they're comfortable in life not to give a fuck about it is kind of shitty.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
It's honestly equally astounding and shameful that she'd be the first Native American cabinet secretary.
Look on the bright side; she's the secretary of the Department of Interior. Can't think of a more poetic and justified cabinet secretary position for a Native American

This is a really good nom, she seems great. Glad its in a deep blue seat as well

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell is the first like 40 posts filled with shadowboxing against leftists? Especially since there are leftist commentating in the thread about the pick being good. Like nothing about this involves leftists in any way shape or form, and most of her policies look good. So why is it filled with "both sides" and mocking people who have an actual issue with another nominee?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Seems like a solid pick, hope she can get it and wield as much power as she can.

Did someone post in this thread that both sides are the same? If not I'm confused.