• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
On a momentous day for Tribal Nations, Congresswoman Liz Cheney (R-WY), the House Republican Conference Chairwoman, stated that the successful litigation by tribes and environmentalists to return the grizzly bear in Greater Yellowstone to the Endangered Species Act (ESA) "was not based on science or facts" but motivated by plaintiffs "intent on destroying our Western way of life."

One of the largest tribal-plaintiff alliances in recent memory prevailed in the landmark case, Crow Tribe et al v. Zinke last September, when US District Judge Dana Christensen ruled in favor of the tribes and environmental groups after finding that the Trump Administration's US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) had failed to abide by the ESA and exceeded its authority in attempting to remove federal protections from the grizzly. Tuesday, USFWS officially returned federal protections to the grizzly.

Removing protections from the bear, revered as sacred to a multitude of tribes, would have left the grizzly vulnerable to high-dollar trophy hunts and lifted leasing restrictions on some 34,375 square miles. Extractive industry, livestock and logging interests are among those desirous of capitalizing on the area, a region comprised of tribal treaty, reserved rights and ceded lands.

"So, in striving to protect our culture, our religious and spiritual freedoms, our sovereignty and our treaty rights – all of which are encapsulated in the grizzly issue – we are 'destroying' Cheney's idea of the 'Western way of life'?" questioned Rodgers. "I would remind the Congresswoman that at the time of the Lewis and Clark Expedition an estimated 100,000 grizzly bears roamed from the Missouri River to the Pacific Coast. That was all Indian Country. Now there are fewer than 2,000 grizzly bears and our people live in Third World conditions on meager reservations in the poorest counties in the US. Does she really want to talk about 'destroying' a 'way of life'?" asked Rodgers.

"Unfortunately, it comes as no surprise that recent attempts by the Administration to remove protections for the grizzly, as well as blatant disregard for proper Tribal consultation, warrant our attention," commented Congressman Joe Neguse (D-CO), who chaired the hearing on HR 2532. Rodgers' written response to a question by Rep. Neguse traces contemporary wildlife management practices employed by the USFWS and the states back to the Doctrine of Discovery. The account, which has been widely praised by organizations including Sierra Club and Earth Justice, is posted in the Congressional Record

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Western tradition of driving animals to extinction and irreparably damaging the natural world.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this lady. And if the western way of life is based on completely destroying habitat and driving species to extinction instead of working on ways of maintaining a modern society while balancing keeping nature intact, the fuck western society too.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Look at these cute bears:
Grizzly-Bear-aug12019-600x429.jpg

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Grizzly bears are not part of the natural world, confirmed.

Real talk, when i went to visit Glacier National Park, i had hoped to high heavens that we never encountered a grizzly bear while hiking. I'd have shit my pants.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Taking national security advice from a Cheney has already caused irreparable damage to our country. We don't need any more, thanks.

MFW *Liz Cheney* of all people tries to offer foreign policy takes, as if an entire generation hasn't lived through the Cheneys sending us into war since we were kids: https://twitter.com/liz_cheney/status/1156515560441749504 …

(100% relevant.)

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
One of the largest tribal-plaintiff alliances in recent memory prevailed in the landmark case, Crow Tribe et al v. Zinke last September, when US District Judge Dana Christensen ruled in favor of the tribes and environmental groups after finding that the Trump Administration's US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) had failed to abide by the ESA and exceeded its authority in attempting to remove federal protections from the grizzly. Tuesday, USFWS officially returned federal protections to the grizzly.

First time hearing about this, but hell fuckin yeah

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Cheney is one of the most, if not, THE most odious member of Congress. I don't say that lightly with such illustrious people like Steve King and Louis Gohmert still there.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Accusing the descendants of the folks whose land you stole and committed genocide against of "destroying a way of life" is pretty rich.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Western tradition of driving animals to extinction and irreparably damaging the natural world.

The rugged Western tradition of living in McMansion in a gated subdivision and driving a lifted Ford 150 and running the A/C 200 days a year.

Oh and maybe going fishing two or three times each year.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The rugged Western tradition of living in McMansion in a gated subdivision and driving a lifted Ford 150 and running the A/C 200 days a year.

Oh and maybe going fishing two or three times each year.
Ruggedly mounting animal heads other people killed and stuffed over the mock fireplace that has never seen firewood in its life.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely curious, has anyone gotten in her face to remind her that her dad's a war criminal? Like, I want to live for that moment to see the fury it gives her.

Also they're just saying the quiet parts out loud, right? That the "cosmopolitan" vision of America is over and done with, that the "right" immigrants are ones for the GOP, that the people we stole this land from are in the way of the neoliberal enterprise. Don't need no dog whistles when you've normalized the megaphone.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
I'm usually not a fan of guilt by association (judge people by their own asshattery) but these are pretty good.

I mean, I'd get it if Liz struck out on her own in terms of her morals, beliefs and issues sure - but everything she's done seems to indicate that she's not only lockstep with her father's ideology she essentially valorises him.

Fuck 'em both.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grizzly Bears are not endangered at all. I'm not convinced it matters if they are endangered in one area but either way this country is fucking huge and the area isnt populated so leave them be. We don't need more shit to 'hunt'
Your dad was alot slicker about this.

All this for #ETTD-stricken Zinke. Good choosing our fights there. Really is.

this was an obama plan not zinke

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't need no dog whistles when you've normalized the megaphone.
There's still dog whistles. "Western way of life" makes it sound like they're not killing animals and chopping down forests when that's all they're doing.

Hunting bears probably doesn't get the patriotic vote. Western way of life though.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
"Western way of life", huh? Sounds real dog whistley.
Of course it is.

If you REALLY think about it, North America is far West from Europe. So far West that there is an ocean (Pacific) between it and the far East. White supremacists afraid that Native Americans are the TRUE "Western Culture"!!!

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I tried pasting her HR336 speech in here.

She is definitely a Cheney

Mosaica

May 22, 2019
The American Way is "Fuck You". It always has been.

Hopefully that'll end one day.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Liz Cheney, maybe you should return to your country of ancestral origin (England) and help out there. They seem like they could use some help these days. Try that before proceeding to ruin our great nation. Thanks.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why literally everything to Republicans is an existential threat to the entire country. How do they get through a week being that cowardly and jumpy all the time?