• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...om-democratic-leaders/?utm_term=.ca5131107b69

The Texas Democrat told The Washington Post that he has notified Democratic leaders of his move to file the articles Tuesday night. Under House rules, Democratic leaders can decide to try to table the impeachment articles, effectively killing them for now; refer them to the House Judiciary Committee for consideration; or allow the vote to proceed as is.

Article also says more than 80 members support impeachment now. At first I was absolutely against impeachment since it'll ultimately go nowhere, but at this point we need to show the world that no one is above oversight or above the law, and the racist shit he's been spouting is not America.

Hopefully Nancy doesn't stick this in a drawer.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Cool symbolic move, but it won't go anywhere

Not sure how it will play with the general public. Could be a rallying cry to the Dems with a "whiny liberals" perception from the middle. I support it tho

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
It needs to fucking happen. Get out of the way, Pelosi, enough of this "Self-impeachment" garbage, let's do the real thing.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Democrats going to get a bunch of people telling them this is how Trump wins re-election.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I think the single best argument I've seen against this is they should try to go for impeachment hearings first.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice that some congressmen/women have the guts to do this.
Shamefully, the leader won't budge though.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the third or fourth time he's done this?
Third. It's also the wrong type of impeachment vote- you want a vote to open an inquiry, not the final vote on impeachment itself. I would not be surprised if people who support impeachment vote against his motion for that reason.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I'm ok going for impeachment, but this isn't a strategy, this is chaos. Dem leadership needs to get their ass in gear and organize a real push, not something like this that is going off half-cocked.

Republicans would never have screwed this up so badly.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I'm ok going for impeachment, but this isn't a strategy, this is chaos. Dem leadership needs to get their ass in gear and organize a real push, not something like this that is going off half-cocked.

Republicans would never have screwed this up so badly.

Pelosi is utterly convinced that doing nothing and hoping voters solve the problem in 2020 is the Democrats' path forward.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Pelosi is utterly convinced that doing nothing and hoping voters solve the problem in 2020 is the Democrats' path forward.
Right. I like Pelosi and I think she has good political instincts, but she is outmaneuvered and doesn't have a good response for these unprecedented times. Her experience and skillsets are actively working against her because there is nothing in the playbook for Trump and his administration.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ain't getting anywhere until Pelosi fucks off but we'll see
If 90% of the caucus were for impeachment, Pelosi would magically start to back it. But it's not 90%. IIt was about 1/4th a month or two ago, and its up to about a third now.

This is very much something that needs to be lobbied for on a member by member basis from the bottom up. It's not Pelosi that's actually standing in the way here.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Democrats only control the House, and the Speaker of the House's strategy as far as I can tell is to continuously attack the freshman Democrats that Republicans are also continuously attacking. It's really inspiring stuff.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Al Green is my fucking spirit animal. I love the conviction.

Here's an article about him and his trying to impeach Trump for bigotry/racism:

"I think the strongest case is his bigotry and policy," Green told me in a recent conversation. "We shouldn't allow a bigot to continue to hold the highest office in the land. We hear people daily on television who call him a racist, a bigot, who say he's unfit—people in his own party have said he's unfit to be the President. And the people of this country gave Democrats an overwhelming majority."

"I just don't see how we can have this overwhelming majority understand that he is a bigot—that he has infused his bigotry into policy—and not at some point decide that there ought to be a vote to impeach him for the bigotry and policy," Green continued. "And, by the way, you don't need to conduct hearings on this, because the President does it in plain view! It's out there!"

In two impeachment resolutions—in December, 2017, and January, 2018—Green gave evidence: Trump's efforts to block immigration and travel from Muslim-majority countries, his ban on transgender people serving in the military, his remarks about "very fine people" among the white-nationalist demonstrators in Charlottesville, and his complaint about immigrants coming from "shithole countries."

"In all of this," Green's January resolution closes, "the aforementioned Donald John Trump has, by his statements, brought the high office of President of the United States in contempt, ridicule, disgrace and disrepute, has sown discord among the people of the United States, has demonstrated that he is unfit to be President, and has betrayed his trust as President of the United States to the manifest injury of the people of the United States, and has committed a high misdemeanor in office."
Green's preferred rationale for impeachment—bigotry—is grounded in the history of the process. The first Presidential impeachment, Andrew Johnson's, in 1868, centered on Johnson's violation of a law called the Tenure of Office Act. But the actual impetus for the impeachment effort, as Brenda Wineapple notes in a new book on the episode, "The Impeachers," was Johnson's leniency toward Southerners intent on preserving white supremacy and thwarting Reconstruction.

"There were people who wanted that man impeached because they really thought he was hindering and betraying the cause of the war," Wineapple told me. "They were outraged because he was restoring the country to what it was, and they had a vision of the future—what it could be."

My man. Never relent. Never let the take away message be "well golly, so many racist GOP collaborators won't hold Trump accountable anyways and we're really worried about what racist Sally in bumfuck Nebraska thinks over our base, so therefore nothing for us to do except fuck off and try to make donor money off of the madman until the election!"

Some of ya'll might think that's OK, Al Green doesn't. Neither do I.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably too late -- if dem leadership didn't act on Mueller's impeachment referral, it's hard to imagine what could actually move them.

But trying is probably better than doing nothing

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This will sound naive, but...

Impeachment won't go anywhere as far as the Senate in concerned, but it's still the right thing to do. If we can't count on our representatives doing the right thing in the face of staggering evidence, why are they our representatives?

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Yes! President Pence please.

/s

Pence is a psychopathic bible-thumping bigot but he doesn't have the "charisma" (or whatever it is that Trump has that attracts so many racist idiots) or appeal of Trump. I'd much, much rather see any democratic nominee face off against Pence than Trump. The dude has all the charm of a waterlogged piece of cardboard. He's unelectable as president.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's the correct thing to do.

... And it should have been done AGES ago.

However, we have a few too many political dinosaurs in high positions standing against it and unwilling to do their jobs unless impeachment becomes more popular. Rather than take the time and energy to educate the American people that it's the right thing to do and why it's necessary, they seem fundamentally set on ignoring it to focus on removing him from office in 2020.

Anybody who plays politics rather than enforce the laws are politicians that should be primaried, regardless of political affiliation.

Jun 17, 2019
If 90% of the caucus were for impeachment, Pelosi would magically start to back it. But it's not 90%. IIt was about 1/4th a month or two ago, and its up to about a third now.

This is very much something that needs to be lobbied for on a member by member basis from the bottom up. It's not Pelosi that's actually standing in the way here.

Yeah, this is something I don't think a majority of the public get. You need to have enough people to feel convinced that they have a shot of getting him out of there. The problem is that he's an idiot but he knows how to wiggle out of issues and has been doing so for years using other people to do it. This is why we need every "i" dotted and every "t" crossed in the end. That way there's no wiggle room for him to get out of things.

I would agree we need to have the hearings and get as many facts as possible out there so that the public can push for it. You honestly need the backing of the people that voted the Reps into Office to be behind them on that, or they could end up being voted out that that could cause an issue where we lose the house, and you really don't want that happening.

As for Pence, the problem is that he knows how to look "dignified", unlike Trump. He's far more dangerous in that he'll do backroom dealings over, doing it before you.