• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
A much-used cycle lane in London that was removed because the local council said it was impeding the flow of motor vehicles has since been blocked by parked cars up to 80% of the time, a study by a campaign group has found.

Computer analysis of traffic cameras on Kensington High Street have also shown that average car journey times appear to have increased since officials took out the bike lane just seven weeks after it was installed.

The Conservative-run authority said removing the cycle lane, which was used by up to 4,000 cyclists a day, would add extra space for motor traffic, and thus ease congestion and quicken journey times.

www.theguardian.com

Removed London bike lane blocked by parked cars most of the time – study

Analysis shows average car journey times have also increased after Kensington and Chelsea council took out lane

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this has been studied. It's called Induced Demand.

bikehouston.org

What is Induced Demand? - BikeHouston

By Matt Southey The term “Induced Demand” can seem intimidating. […]

But we keep building wider roads and highways and electric cars are not going to be mass market anytime soon. All while we are facing a climate crisis.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
This is interesting; they added a ton of cycle lanes up in Hull and the local rag are constantly making out like it's an issue as are the commenters (People have been like no one uses them, cyclists don't obey the rules, pay road tax. Cyclists have also been attacked). There are of course bad cyclists but personally I find indicating, checking before turning right, stopping at lights etc fairly easy and if cyclists are using the pavement (A bug of mine, one killed my cat) then the police need to step in (Their is of course no resources).

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
This is interesting; they added a ton of cycle lanes up in Hull and the local rag are constantly making out like it's an issue as are the commenters (People have been like no one uses them, cyclists don't obey the rules, pay road tax. Cyclists have also been attacked). There are of course bad cyclists but personally I find indicating, checking before turning right, stopping at lights etc fairly easy and if cyclists are using the pavement (A bug of mine, one killed my cat) then the police need to step in (Their is of course no resources).

The road tax one always blows my mind. I can't believe people still say that.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
How does he compares to the powers of a major in USA?

Far fewer powers as I understand it. Worth noting that the UK is more generally a very centralised nation when it comes to setting and implementing policy - and throughout the country local government has very specific and often limited powers.

I'm not an expert on this, but London's a weird situation where it's divided into 32 separate municipalities (we call them councils in this country) with a sort of additional layer of governance on top (the Greater London Authority) that the mayor heads up. He has a good deal of control over some things but in other areas (for example what's happened here) the local borough council made this decision themselves, and they're notoriously conservative and anti-cyclist more generally.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Not shocking coming from Kensington and Chelsea council, they've been openly against making things better for cyclists for years now. They even stopped an East-West superhighway going through their boundaries, so if you want to go through the borough you'll be forced onto the roads again for large stretches.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I read somewhere that building more road doesn't ease congestion simply because you can't physically build enough concrete to house the amount of traffic that society demands. The cars just fill up the extra space like a liquid.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Depends on the state. In some places, individual municipalities have free-reign over their city so long as city law doesn't conflict with existing state or federal law. In other states, the state (usually state legislature) has complete supremacy over cities and can pass laws to modify city boundaries, zoning, and laws, even in ways that would be illegal for cities themselves to do.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Even Jeremy Vine checked a couple weeks back:

Last edited:

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mayors in the USA generally have very strong powers.

The councils are generally only employee with land use decisions.

Mayors in the USA are typically sued for every policy change they make that affects parking and travel lanes.

Then you have useless mayors like NY's.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Unless I'm missing something why is that lane not a no-parking zone with heavy fines and towing at owners expense?