• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Yugi cheats with "cutting" his deck by just bringing the bottom cards to the top, he is an auto-win with those god cards being "magically" in the right spot at the right time.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
You mean playing actual yugioh?Following the irl rules? Yugi would get destroyed faster than he can possibly imagine. Any deck the revolves around normal summons is completely dead these days.

Also, as a piece of trivia, the god cards are pretty awful in a practical scenario. They're hard to summon and easy to get rid off.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What if we include the rivals? Kaiba, Chazz (?), Jack, and whomever the hell else? Against each other and then mixed with the protagonists?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yugi deserves respect for being the most popular Middle Eastern anime protagonist though.

yu-gi-oh-3-in-1-editibzk63.jpg

5185428-37cqjnc.jpg

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but without the main character shields, any real life player would absolutely dominate all the MC's.

...Unless we get 1 turn OTK'd by Exodia/Utopia Double/Firewall Dragon.

What if we include the rivals? Kaiba, Chazz (?), Jack, and whomever the hell else? Against each other and then mixed with the protagonists?

Which is why for GX, we gotta cut Chazz for Zane and Pheonix ;)

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do the Toon Cards work as well in the meta as they do in the Anime? Always wondered about that.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Chazz and Jack have the worst decks out of any characters in Yugioh.
Wrong, well for Manga Chazz without the dumb guys. Manga Chazz has Light and Darkness Dragon for his ace and a dragon deck(with oddly synchro summons because 2 of his headliners got saved till that wave if I remember right... it's weird)

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think Yugi operates in a universe where a good deck isn't what a good deck is in our universe. So if you took a deck with an amazing strategy from our world and transported into theirs, you'd be fucked, because now you're a one trick pony and the protagonist will just whip out the card that unravels your whole plan at the most dramatic moment.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You see the problem is is that yugi believes in the heart of the cards, and they dont.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
It's called powercreep you nerds. If we were to give Yugi his DSoD deck I think he'd be sitting in the top 3 protag decks

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It's called powercreep you nerds. If we were to give Yugi his DSoD deck I think he'd be sitting in the top 3 protag decks

His DSOD still has the same problems.

Just that instead of a bunch of effectless monsters,he has a bunch of random gimmicky effects.

Like ok, he summons all the Magician Girls....Then Kaito drops this:

71ElAjwHcjL._AC_SY679_.jpg

And they become a bunch of sticks

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
His DSOD still has the same problems.

Just that instead of a bunch of effectless monsters,he has a bunch of random gimmicky effects.

Like ok, he summons all the Magician Girls....Then Kaito drops this:

71ElAjwHcjL._AC_SY679_.jpg

And they become a bunch of sticks

I thought we were talking protags here. Kaito's deck following irl rules would be brick city anyways, so would most of the decks listed here. Yugi floats towards the top of the pile because at least his DSoD deck would have enough power cards to keep him afloat his LP raft until he hits something that can make a power play.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I thought we were talking protags here. Kaito's deck following irl rules would be brick city anyways, so would most of the decks listed here. Yugi floats towards the top of the pile because at least his DSoD deck would have enough power cards to keep him afloat his LP raft until he hits something that can make a power play.

In that case you can change Kaito for Yuma, he also has an effect negater on Utopia Ray Victory.

So the Magician Girls' gimmick gets shut down

Oh god...I need to go out...

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Which Yu-Gi-Oh! protagonist is better at cheesing critical hits by rolling d100 like a goofball though? None, that's who.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i mean yugi's deck clearly has strats but it largely is a bag of tricks, his power is to draw everything he wants or needs every single time, which in normal games would be astronomically low odds

so yeah he would probably get stomped, but he wouldnt be trash or anything, just a victim of low deck quality

Yugi deserves respect for being the most popular Middle Eastern anime protagonist though.
or at least being the vessel that holds the egyptian character and uses him to win card games

that's representation!

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not a fair comparison since the decks follow different rules and time periods, yugi would easily win since he has the hart of the cards the guy can literally draw whatever card he wants

Jan 2, 2018
Do the Toon Cards work as well in the meta as they do in the Anime? Always wondered about that.

If I remember correctly they had much better effects in the show. Toon world for example protected the monsters against everything, the real card only made it possible to play those monsters, nothing more (aside from the lose of 1000 lifepoints).

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I'm pretty sure yusaku's deck would be able to play through a quasar negate and still make accesscode. Power creep is a bitch.

I think a few of yuya's canon cards got buffs. I think he has the best pool overall, but he can only win if we're under Master Rule 3.

Yuma's deck doesn't work without the game original stuff as glue, although he's fun to think about because it could be considered justified to give him a limitless extra deck handicap.

Yusei has a fuck ton of garbage, and tbh I don't know which Junk Doppel cards were actually his.
Still no.

He'd only have a chance if he used all his game original cards that he never canonically played. And maybe got Dragun of red-eyes in the process. But at that point who the fuck cares.
If I remember correctly they had much better effects in the show. Toon world for example protected the monsters against everything, the real card only made it possible to play those monsters, nothing more (aside from the lose of 1000 lifepoints).
They are only barely functional because they gave toon kingdom the protection effect, alongside a lineup of new mediocre to decent toon monsters from about 3-4 years ago.

They're actually getting more support this year though.

Last edited:

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Toon Kingdom kind of emulates the effect for toons now. Can banish cards from the deck to avoid destruction and toons can't be targeted by effects. Still a weak archetype though.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A reminder that several anime characters have played meta archetypes. Granted most of them used a lot of outside support to be viable, but even ignoring stuff like Rokkets and Salamangreats which can perform well in the meta even without off archetype support, stuff like Goukis, Trickstars, and even older archetypes like Cyber Dragons, blackwings, or D/D/Ds would wipe the floor with most of the protags decks just ho they were used in the anime.

Jan 2, 2018
They are only barely functional because they gave toon kingdom the protection effect, alongside a lineup of new mediocre to decent toon monsters from about 3-4 years ago.

They're actually getting more support this year though.
Toon Kingdom kind of emulates the effect for toons now. Can banish cards from the deck to avoid destruction and toons can't be targeted by effects. Still a weak archetype though.

Good to know, thank you! I stopped playing Yu-Gi-Oh right around the release of those lightsworn cards and never really got back to it.

I play MTG pretty regularly though.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Yugi's legendary deck was the deck my friends told me to start with.

I am surprised I am still friends with them because Yugi's deck was a dumpster fire even back then

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it, Yugi's (and by extension the other protagonist characters with very bad decks) were written to have to overcome strong villains with much stronger cards and gameplans and this was especially true in Duelist Kingdom. He got more cards meant to be real life playable in Battle City but they still ended up not being as good as other decks in real life, if I recall.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can Yusaku use firewall dragon? With it and it's bull shit loops he probably beats anyone with how consistent his deck is master rule revision or not.
Firewall dragon is super broken, but only really in decks built around abusing it which Yusaku's really isn't. I mean Yusaku also barely used it and never even really used it's most broken effect. I'd honestly go as far as to say stuff like Borreload and Borrelsword are way more generically good because they're super strong in and of themselves whereas Firewall can do absurd things, but only if you build around it

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Zane probably has the best updated deck out of the protags in the series. Cyberdragons are pretty good nowadays

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it, Yugi's (and by extension the other protagonist characters with very bad decks) were written to have to overcome strong villains with much stronger cards and gameplans and this was especially true in Duelist Kingdom. He got more cards meant to be real life playable in Battle City but they still ended up not being as good as other decks in real life, if I recall.
I mean Yugi had a bunch of trash cards, but he also had some really good ones for the time as well. Aside from obvious staples that pretty much everyone in the anime used like monster reborn and pot of greed, stuff like mirror force and even summoned skull saw a lot of play back in the day

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Zane probably has the best updated deck out of the protags in the series. Cyberdragons are pretty good nowadays
I mean if we're extending to side cast then Zane still loses to Soulburner and Revolver even with updated archetype support given that Salamangreats are one of the top meta decks right now even with miragestallio banned and Rokkets won a YCS pretty recently

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if we're extending to side cast then Zane still loses to Soulburner and Revolver even with updated archetype support given that Salamangreats are one of the top meta decks right now even with miragestallio banned and Rokkets won a YCS pretty recently
Hadn't kept up with the new series so wasn't familiar with those characters, but I could def see that

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Legacy of the Duelist and by far the hardest deck for me to beat with my current cards is the one that can repeatedly turbo into Cyber Dragon Infinity. That thing is terrifying.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
The game was literally being figured out during Yugi's era, so I cut him some slack. All of anime Yugioh operates more on "rule of cool" anyway

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
The game was literally being figured out during Yugi's era, so I cut him some slack. All of anime Yugioh operates more on "rule of cool" anyway
I'd love for there to be a ygo anime where most of the characters all run competitive decks and the protagonist just gets by on his favorites and playground rules

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
How is Yugi's new deck from the most recent movie? Wasn't it based on the new Dark Magician cards that came out?

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
How is Yugi's new deck from the most recent movie? Wasn't it based on the new Dark Magician cards that came out?

Not at all.

It pretty much just had new effect versions of his old shitty monsters, for example in the movie he changes this
518VzKeDYPL._AC_SY400_.jpg

for this
sentry-soldier-of-stone-mvp1-haru-card-shop-D_NQ_NP_685536-MLA40620502210_012020-F.jpg

If he actually had the Dark Magician cards, he would be up there with at the top

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching after GX any one got any good duel clips for the other protags?

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Not at all.

It pretty much just had new effect versions of his old shitty monsters, for example in the movie he changes this
518VzKeDYPL._AC_SY400_.jpg

for this
sentry-soldier-of-stone-mvp1-haru-card-shop-D_NQ_NP_685536-MLA40620502210_012020-F.jpg

If he actually had the Dark Magician cards, he would be up there with at the top
All I knew is he and Kaiba had those new boss monsters Chaos Max and Mahad so I guess I assumed the rest of their decks would follow suit. Shame they're still apparently trash though.