• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one of these sports would you remove?

• Football

Votes: 1,167 40.2%
  • Basketball

Votes: 121 4.2%
  • Baseball

Votes: 764 26.3%
  • Hockey

Votes: 441 15.2%
  • Soccer

Votes: 411 14.2%

• Total voters

Katsyo

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden, Russia, Finland, Czech.

I'm sure soccer is still more popular in all those countries, but they definitely play hockey.

Just as a FYI, I'd say in Finland hockey is actually more popular than soccer. At least the highest domestic leagues and national team level.
Although not sure if it might change a bit since the Finnish men's national football team finally qualified for an international final cup competition.

patriciodcj

Oct 25, 2017
Bäregrabe
Playing on ice in the desert doesn't make any sense during an impeding climate catastrophe. So removing ice hockey is the only choice that changes the world in a positive way.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Football has the most votes? The biggest sport in the US where millions of families gather to watch the super bowl a cornerstone of american culture?
That is suprising.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Football has the most votes? The biggest sport in the US where millions of families gather to watch the super bowl a cornerstone of american culture?
That is suprising.

Not scientific at all, but Era is not necessarily as American as a lot of the internet:

www.resetera.com

Dear ERA, where do you live? (continent or nation)

I know this forum is more US-centric but I feel that since the move from the "old place" the compsition has been increased in favor of the rest of the world. And I am interested to know how many people posting are from outside Europe and North America :) No need to post, just a vote in the poll...

Also American Football has had some outstandingly bad press over the last few years, especially with the sort of demographics a place like Era attracts.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
American football bores the hell out of me. I tried...i really did. But i dont know how anyone finds excitement in it.

Baseball a very close second.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Why is cricket missing from this list? It's like baseball, but played over multiple days and whether it rains on the last day determines whether there's an actual result.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Soccer (Football)

Because it has by far the most toxic fandom on the planet. Literally nothing is worse

I don't even follow the sport or any other for that matter and yet even for me that garbage is just too much to put up with.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Baseball is the Cricket of North America but by some miracle, manages to be even more boring. So that

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
All but one(soccer) are sports I've never followed in the first place but I pick American football. I think I could get into the rest if they where my only option but not that.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Football. It's not entertaining, it damages players brains, it's racist, it preempted all my favorite shows growing up, it's not interesting to look at, it's a cancerous sore on the country.

And there's only actual gameplay for thirty seconds every five minutes.

That is suprising.

Any family that 'doesn't' watch It HATES it, in my experience. To be hyperbolic, look at the percentage of Americans who aren't watching it and imagine every one of them despises it. Baseball is dull and old timey but nostalgic, hockey is harmless, no one remembers soccer exists, and basketball is mostly entertaining and has Space Jam. Being forced to watch football is torture, paint drying would be more entertaining. At least paint dries at a constant pace.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
American football/NFL due to CTE ruining players lives and (until recently) the whole handling the kneeling at the national anthem issue.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a European it hurt me to pick football, but my mind is at ease knowing you meant handegg. So yeah, I could do without concussions-filled American ""football"", in fact, at times I often forget it exists.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
goldsberry-SUPER-BOWL-0131-2.png

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
That is suprising.
For the record, I voted for football even though it's easily the sport I enjoy watching the most and I lose myself to fantasy football on an annual basis.
I would still easily sacrifice it in a heartbeat given the OP's posed scenario because of the health risks involved to those who play it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Selfishly, I have less than zero interest in soccer so that's my pick.

American Football is the sport that technically has the most valid reasons for erasure, though I like Blitz: The League far too much to erase it.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I voted Baseball, because it's the most unbelievably boring thing to be labeled a sport.
It's just as boring as Golf.

I would still make an honorary mention of American Football.
It's shit to watch, it hurts most of its participants, AND its name makes no fucking sense!
The game is not played by the foot and it's not played with a ball. The only thing it is, is 'murican.

The rest of the world can do without your shit sports, shit food and shit politcs.

MURICA!

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
⚾ Is so boring. I won't even watch games outside of the home team. Then playoffs come and a new pitcher is in from like the 4th inning on every few batters 🤦🏻‍♂️

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to change my vote to soccer even though I love it because I'm so tired of the historically ignorant takes that it somehow owns the name "football."

It is one out of many football codes.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can play pro baseball with a massive beer gut - that's my criteria, it's gotta go.

It's also the most boring of all those, IMO.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is suprising.
The other sports have teams and followings worldwide. Some are even played in the Olympics.

American Football is barely a thing outside of the US. Like there is International American Football, but it's a joke compared to the the other sports listed. Yes, America would be devastated, but removing American Football causes the least amount of waves worldwide. For fucks sake, it's called "American Football" in most of the world.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
The other sports have teams and followings worldwide. Some are even played in the Olympics.

American Football is barely a thing outside of the US. Like there is International American Football, but it's a joke compared to the the other sports listed. Yes, America would be devastated, but removing American Football causes the least amount of waves worldwide. For fucks sake, it's called "American Football" in most of the world.
Oh yeah, I know. I'm from europe, american football is not a thing outside of places with a lot americans.
Just thought it would be baseball or hockey considering how popular the sport is and how american centric I thought this site was.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Football has seduced many impoverished children in underfunded school districts into being an indentured servant for the NCAA which basketball has also done but at least basketball isn't causing traumatic brain injuries that make people unemployable. The concussions debilitate these young people, even if they never make it into the pros. Football has a lot of maimed and exploited young people to answer for.

I firmly believe that athletes should be paid with actual money and not the truck wages of a sham education.

Terra Torment

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Oh yeah, I know. I'm from europe, american football is not a thing outside of places with a lot americans.
Just thought it would be baseball or hockey considering how popular the sport is and how american centric I thought this site was.

You're forgetting that we are also nerds who care about things like concussions and virtual indentured servitude that high school students from impoverished backgrounds get lassoed into.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I could do without football and the cult that is built up around it.

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
I voted Football even though I love it due to the brain injuries.

I could have easily voted for Basketball or Soccer. Soccer is boring as hell, the ball spends most of its time at midfield doing nothing. Basketball is amazing until the last 2 minutes that should be the most exciting but are actually a snooze fest of inbound, foul, free throw, timeout, repeat. Once in a blue moon you do get a Kawhi 4 bounce off the rim game winner in the playoffs though.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Football is not only incompatible with what we know now about the brain, but growing up arguably its strongest allure was precisely what caused the damage to the brain. Big hits, tough guys, cheap shots, people being knocked out on the field. Back when this was just getting your bell rung football fans loved this shit. Now that it's gone and defenses have been defanged as a result, the sport has fundamental balancing and officiating issues that severely detract from the fun on top of that. I don't see football recovering, and I don't need it to.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Baseball isn't a sport, so that shouldn't even be on the poll. I'll go with with the soft version of Rugby as my choice.