• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm facebook was the way for me to upload my photos somewhere to then get onto my phone. (always uploaded as private so no one else saw it on their feed). That sucks :/

Guess I can use twitter but can you make tweets private and not visable to anyone but yourself?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I never used it because if I was to upload something to Facebook and make it private so nobody could see it, I couldn't share it to a private group and only let them see it without making it public for everyone.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The fallout from that Cambridge controversy. No more third party access.
Not only that, but they're stopping stuff just for the sake of looking like they're doing something.

The CA leak was from a stupid lack of permissions. (They gave developers access to everything, even if you didn't ask for it. AND of your friends. It was like getting a free info dump)

Now, though? They've locked everything down. Your user ID is unique to the game so we have no way of telling if you are playing a new game from the same company to give reward points. And now we can't even get profile pictures of your friends unless they ALSO approve the app. That meant invites, sharing and a lot of other features were dead in the water.

And the worst part, the ABSOLUTE worst part of all of this, is that they give zero heads up. We just come into work one day and discover all this shit is broken with a half-assed document explaining the changes. You can only PRAY it didn't break the game on any of the other platforms either.

We can't even get the country a person lives in anymore to show the proper fucking currency on the in-game store on Facebook. How broken is that?

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
Uploading screenshots from PS4/Switch to private albums for later sharing is the only use I had left for Facebook.

Losing that sucks, as you cannot (as far as I'm aware) make tweets private without locking your entire account.

OP
OP
AngelOFDeath

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I personally haven't used the sharing clips feature on PS4, in a few years. Whats unfortunate is losing the ability to find friends that way. Ahh well

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Facebook has been closing down their third-party API endpoints rather significantly lately, so this was inevitable.
That really doesn't apply in this case. Sharing simple posts like consoles do is still supported and is not going away anytime soon. What Facebook is chasing after are apps that scrape data.

This is a Sony decision, probably because they don't want to bother to update the OS to use the latest version of the Facebook API.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
I knew something was up regarding FB on PS4, back in April, uploading screenshots was restricted to 105 MB which was a real pain for me for 4K screenshots, then found out finding FB friends was broken with a "PSN is under maintenance" message.

Looks like I have to upload to FB using flash drives now

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really share on FB that much, but it sucks that it's removing the avatar pics.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So this means no more custom avatars, right? Not a big loss, as only your close friends could see it anyways. I hope this is something we get on PS5, Xbox lets you upload a custom avatar and everyone can see it.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I would say goodbye share button, but I guess it's more to do with the fact twitch is way more import t to focus on than Facebook.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I used to use this feature (sharing clips to Facebook) a lot, so that sucks for everyone still using it, but I got rid of my FB account a couple years ago anyway so no real loss.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
At this point I only have a Facebook account to interact with any family members I barely ever interact with anyway. I've been close to just closing the thing so many times...

At least this happening got me to finally setup my Chrome mobile start page to let me block certain sites "news" items. The number of times Daily Express showed up there with some shitty clickbait article titles about this MAJOR FEATURE being removed is obnoxious.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
That really doesn't apply in this case. Sharing simple posts like consoles do is still supported and is not going away anytime soon. What Facebook is chasing after are apps that scrape data.

This is a Sony decision, probably because they don't want to bother to update the OS to use the latest version of the Facebook API.

It's not just a matter of updating to the latest version of the API, I use the FB API and they actually disabled a lot of the API actions that would allow you to publish data. In most cases you're forced to use the Facebook share dialog box to publish things now (which has always been available).

There's a lot of drawbacks with the share dialog box since you actually have to use FB's widget, which can't be customized that much. Before you used to be able to just pass over the data to FB's API when publishing actions and that's not possible anymore. So Sony probably doesn't want to use it, don't blame them either.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a pretty prime example of a feature I don't use, so its removal won't affect me. That said, I do acknowledge that it's going to suck for people who use this feature. Oh well, I guess you can make a dummy Twitter account?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Facebook suggested this was likely back in July or specifically noting that Microsoft and Sony's Facebook integrations would be affected by their API "oversight" changes:

we announced in late 2018 the wind down and discontinuation of many of the integrations we built with partners. Recently, a third party alerted us to a bug, which led us to investigate and find that, unfortunately, our codebase had enabled continued data access for some of these partners. Although we have not found evidence that any data was used in violation of our policies, we are restricting their access today.

Of the dozen partners that we identified as continuing to access data, only two, Microsoft and Sony, continued to access limited types of friends data. This was old code supporting known experiences for people, such as being able to use Facebook on PlayStation or to sync their friends' contact information with another service. (Updated on July 24, 2019 at 9:50AM PT to correct the Playstation example.) Based on our previous commitments, we are ending these partners' access to friend data immediately. This was our mistake, and we are correcting it.

The FTC is putting the honus of responsibility on Facebook to manage their API, instead of giving them the excuse that it's an old code base supporting old legacy features where bugs can have user data get unwittingly siphoned out.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just a matter of updating to the latest version of the API, I use the FB API and they actually disabled a lot of the API actions that would allow you to publish data. In most cases you're forced to use the Facebook share dialog box to publish things now (which has always been available).

There's a lot of drawbacks with the share dialog box since you actually have to use FB's widget, which can't be customized that much. Before you used to be able to just pass over the data to FB's API when publishing actions and that's not possible anymore. So Sony probably doesn't want to use it, don't blame them either.
I'm 100% sure that Sony could have access to a private API to make posts. Facebook doesn't want to lose content / users.

And I also think this is exactly what Nintendo has done, they already have an agreement with Facebook to access a private API.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
#feelsbadman.

It's funny cause i'm using a twitter hashtag to commemorate a failure with facebook

I personally never use Facebook on PS4 other than the personal photo integration. I then disintegrated it after. I use twitter way more for sharing screenshots and video. I guess that's a word of caution though. If you want to upload a custom photo to your PSN profile you'd better do that soon before they cut off the support. Until PS4 actually implements custom photos like Xbox.

kmg90

Feb 20, 2018
Ah. So what I used to do was save the screenshots to USB then just move that to my PC. It's not great but it works. I stopped sharing directly to FB a long time ago because they murder the image quality.

This is what makes me laugh my ass off when I hear people who use Facebook to "backup" their photos on their phones.

Facebook compresses the shit out images (understandable given how much gets uploaded on the service) that it's a terrible way of sharing/storing HQ photos

It may look 'alright' on your 4-6" phone screens but view on proper television/PC monitor and the gasp in horror at the amount of blur and compression artifacts.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
This is what makes me laugh my ass off when I hear people who use Facebook to "backup" their photos on their phones.

Facebook compresses the shit out images (understandable given how much gets uploaded on the service) that it's a terrible way of sharing/storing HQ photos

It may look 'alright' on your 4-6" phone screens but view on proper television/PC monitor and the gasp in horror at the amount of blur and compression artifacts.
What we need is Google Photos integration. Take a screenshot, upload it in full quality. You can then share that wherever the hell you want.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Never linked my account to FB. But i wished Sony made a deal with a image host to upload pics for easy share the links on forums. Guess i could use twitter for that but i dont use twitter, and was told the images lose quality.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
You actually can upload screenshots directly to the What's New feed and see it through a browser on the myPlayStation site. Isn't possible with videos tho.

It's not exactly well organized though, now is it? As far as I'm aware, you're limited to scrolling through a slow loading activity feed of oversized and typically insignificant events.

I've got an old account I send pictures to though. You can see those on the site as well.