• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Didn't see a thread for it. Starting today, there will no longer be any Facebook features, such as uploading trophies, sharing screenshots or videos.
Removal of Facebook Integration on PS4

Starting on October 7th, 2019 Facebook integration will no longer be supported on the PS4™ system. This includes Facebook's share features such as posting gameplay and trophy activity and using the friend finder feature. We apologize for any inconvenience.

What this means for you:

PlayStation®4's share features will remain the same, except Facebook will no longer be offered as a destination to share screenshots, videos, music, trophy details, or links to gameplay broadcasts.

• Users will no longer have the ability to link their Facebook account to their PlayStation™Network account. This means Friends List features, such as adding friends from Facebook will be removed.

Zuckerberg me if old

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
My buddy tried to post on FB about his Assassins Creed Platinum and it said that Facebook removed the post for being in violation against their rules.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I honestly thought it got removed ages ago. Didnt even know you could still post trophies to your wall till I played warframe.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well that's annoying, I always upload funny things I've found in games to Facebook.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Short answer, they can be used by outside entities to really turn the heat up on all sorts of different kinds of spam. Facebook's involvement in the 2016 election was followed by an almost across the board removal of the API.

Long answer, culpable deniability. Especially now when one of the leftist talking points is breaking them up.

In the long run, and on a grander scale of just uploading neat things to the internet, this is a good thing.

Well that's annoying, I always upload funny things I've found in games to Facebook.

I'd like it more if streamable took the reigns here, but they seem to be having their own finacial woes right now.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's not no more third party access, just that anything remotely interesting (like Friend relationships) is a) extremely crippled and b) you have to ask Facebook permission for apps hitting those endpoints

But yes, it's due to CA fallout.

As someone who had to use that API for work for a while, it's both...but it's more them revoking access.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I feel as well as the CA thing there might be something in Facebook's own gaming activities. Their oculus devices and their meetup space encroach quite significantly on PSVR territory and things Sony have tried before, and I have to wonder if Sony are concerned about their potential as a streaming platform out of their control as well. With the Microsoft deal, maybe they're going to be more tied in to Azure and things like Mixer?

Evan8192

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Meh, just upload to youtube and then share the youtube link on your FB page if you gotta share

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda petty, Zuckerberg.. especially when you *gave* our info to CA, It's not like they maliciously stole our data behind your back.., yes, third parties are untrustworthy af, but doing things like this does nothing to make me trust FB any more. And Im sure most people wont ever trust them the way we did pre-2016.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks because sharing screenshot to FB (with Only Me option turned on) and linking it back was my go-to way to share stuff.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Do any of the other consoles have FB integration? I wonder if that will be removed. Discord still has it, I believe.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Darn it kinda sucks because I had my facebook connected for a better avatar picture... oh well no big lost.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
So who is going to be the first person to come in here and say this coupled with game pass is why you aren't picking PS5 next gen?

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
Facebook has been closing down their third-party API endpoints rather significantly lately, so this was inevitable.

True, but also many first and third party publishers are getting pretty squeamish about the terms Facebook has for using their SSO & social hooks, particularly around their data collection policy. Facebook still wants gaming companies & players to use their SSO, but the benefits are far more questionable than they were a few years ago.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that I used FB was to add friends from that network and sharing my real name with them in case that they didn't know me by my nickname

In any case, I only share my clips on twitter and youtube

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Nov 28, 2017
Good riddance. Twitter's more than enough.

Don't want that trash platform or it's logo near any of the consoles or PC clients I use.

Hopefully this is a start of things to come.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Hmm, while I don't care about most of the features, I really did like finding FB friends on PS4. Too bad. :/

OP
OP
AngelOFDeath

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
It's not no more third party access, just that anything remotely interesting (like Friend relationships) is a) extremely crippled and b) you have to ask Facebook permission for apps hitting those endpoints

But yes, it's due to CA fallout.
I just wish they worked with Twitter, as it was the only way I could send a tweet and update my Facebook status simultaneously. First world problems.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Kinda petty, Zuckerberg.. especially when you *gave* our info to CA, It's not like they maliciously stole our data behind your back..,

uhh they did steal it. They got the data through a quiz app for facebook which when you took it, scrubbed not only all of your personal data but also that of everyone on your friends list - so it mostly included data from people who had never seen or given permission for the app to see their profile.
That extra level of data gathering should not have been possible - in addition to it grabbing a lot more data than it asked for permission to see, they used exploits to do it and sold the data to CA (some theories go that the app was developed specifically for CA)

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I barely use Facebook these days so...

Also, since I bought an HDR TV I'm finding less and less desire to take pictures and videos because they look so horrible on regular screen that I have to turn off HDR and then record so, it's a shame.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Short answer, they can be used by outside entities to really turn the heat up on all sorts of different kinds of spam. Facebook's involvement in the 2016 election was followed by an almost across the board removal of the API.

Long answer, culpable deniability. Especially now when one of the leftist talking points is breaking them up.
The long answer was shorter than the short one, lol