• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Posting this because I want it to be noticed and hope Sony changes it, I just got the series S and the remote play is flawless on it on wifi and still very good even over cellular

was disappointed when I downloaded the remote play app for playstation to find that it only works with wifi, why would anyone force wifi use?

update it please Sony

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Because its unreliable? Even in a good coverage area its not that great, on top of if you dont have good internet at home compounded if you are doing wireless on your system. There are tons of points of failure. Sure they could allow it but I'm pretty sure while you may like your experience there, ive run into many issues using a hot spot attempting to play remotely(Which would be the equivalent of cellular)

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I believe that's in line with the PS4 remote play app. With that said, it's a restriction that's going to be increasingly weird as unlimited mobile data plans become increasingly common, and probably should be removed sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because its unreliable? Even in a good coverage area its not that great, on top of if you dont have good internet at home compounded if you are doing wireless on your system. There are tons of points of failure. Sure they could allow it but I'm pretty sure while you may like your experience there, ive run into many issues using a hot spot attempting to play remotely(Which would be the equivalent of cellular)
Wasn't unreliable for me, even if it was it should be my choice to use cellular or not I shouldn't be forced to use wifi, wifi isn't every where

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Who are you to tell someone their experience isn't/won't be good enough because of anecdote? lol

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't unreliable for me, even if it was it should be my choice to use cellular or not I shouldn't be forced to use wifi
Sure. Its still unreliable.
Who are you to tell someone their experience isn't/won't be good enough because of anecdote? lol
Its not an anecdote. Its reality. Ive been doing remote play way back on PS4, and also traveling in various hotels, etc It was so bad to the point I started traveling with my system.
on top of that unlimited data is not unlimited and most companies WILL throttle you. I think remote play uses like 1GB an hour. You would eat your data and get throttled in less than 20 hours.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not all cell phone signals are the same. People with a good 5G signal should have the option, so I don't see why Sony's approach makes sense to mandate the choice for people.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately for me my work wifi is way less consistent then my data

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Even on 5G cell wouldn't the lag be unbearable?

FAKE EDIT: Did some quick research and it would appear the latency is somewhere around 30ms. So you could definitely play remotely thought you'll definitely encounter a bit of lag (which is expected). Sony may have to rethink the Wifi only stance sometime soon.

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not all cell phone signals are the same. People with a good 5G signal should have the option, so I don't see why Sony's approach makes sense to mandate the choice for people.
I used LTE on series s remote play yesterday and it wasn't as good as wifi but it was good enough to work that I would be willing to use it when there's no wifi. There's no reason for Sony to not allow it

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Unfortunately for me my work wifi is way less consistent then my data
Yeah like i stopped even attempting to do remote play, I traveled a lot for work and it got to the point I just brought my PS with me. Trying cellular hot spots and even hotel WiFi it was so awful.
I used LTE on series s remote play yesterday and it wasn't as good as wifi but it was good enough to work that I would be willing to use it when there's no wifi
What's your data usage after an hour of use.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Download the PS Play app, it's way better than the remote play app from Sony. I'm sure it won't be long before PS5 is supported as well.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): Console warring
LMAO Sony did a damn good job hiding all of their BS til right before launch

Damn good thing they have FF7 on lock cause they've just been making the deal worse with each passing day

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Its not an anecdote. Its reality. Ive been doing remote play way back on PS4, and also traveling in various hotels, etc It was so bad to the point I started traveling with my system.
on top of that unlimited data is not unlimited and most companies WILL throttle you. I think remote play uses like 1GB an hour. You would eat your data and get throttled in less than 20 hours.
those are arguments why you shouldn't use it, not why you shouldn't be able to use it.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
I find Sony remote play to be more laggy and less consistent than Microsoft offering. Perhaps on mobile networks it is even more apparent. I would also want Sony to allow more controller support. I dont have an android os 10 device which is also limiting choice for me.

There are plenty of games to play that do not require low latency to enjoy.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

Damn good thing they have FF7 on lock cause they've just been making the deal worse with each passing day
"Hiding it" ? The remote play app has existed for 4 years, this isn't a new revelation. It doesn't even support third party controllers or stream quality controls, I don't know why people would suddenly expect this support to change with the PS5.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
There are way too many factors influencing whether the experience on data is worthwhile for remote play or it isn't, so Sony should not make the decision for the players and give people the option. If it sucks on data, they won't have to use it, but at the very least they get to make the choice themselves.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

ezgif-1-43810c2cfaa0.gif

Nov 9, 2017
I believe that's in line with the PS4 remote play app. With that said, it's a restriction that's going to be increasingly weird as unlimited mobile data plans become increasingly common, and probably should be removed sooner rather than later.

In the US maybe - no way we are getting unlimited cell data plans with the Big 3 (Rogers/Telus/Bell) in Canada anytime soon....or ever sadly.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine how quickly I would hit my 50GB Tmo cap, and then be throttled for the rest of the month. No thanks.

Also, there was a hacked RP app for Android which let you play over cell, and it wasn't worth it anyway

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Just create a WiFi hotspot and connect to your own Wifi hotspot on the same phone. Easy.

(yes, I know this doesn't work)

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Can't imagine how quickly I would hit my 50GB Tmo cap, and then be throttled for the rest of the month. No thanks.

Also, there was a hacked RP app for Android which let you play over cell, and it wasn't worth it anyway
I think the rate is at least 1GB an hour, yeah I even used the hacked one back in the day. I think Sony pushes bitrate high because if the wifi is shit I've had issues too.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Totally surmising, but maybe because for a lot of 3g/4g users it won't be a great experience they've limited it to wifi to ensure it works as it should. You don't want users to try it on 4g with a poor signal, think it's shit and not use it again.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
I think it supported cell signals originally, but they removed the functionality a few years later

OP
OP
BlueManifest

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Totally surmising, but maybe because for a lot of 3g/4g users it won't be a great experience they've limited it to wifi to ensure it works as it should. You don't want users to try it on 4g with a poor signal, think it's shit and not use it again.
Have a recommended wifi message when the app starts problem solved

thecaseace

May 1, 2018

Let people have the option. I've played hours of Gamepass and supported online games via tethering on cellular data

They should give people the option and do what every online service with cellular option has ever done and say:

"Performance may vary over mobile data connections, we advise using wifi"

Job done and everyone gets the option that's right for them.

It's much worse to cut people off from cellular especiially when some people are getting hundreds of megabits down on 5g?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

There's no harm enabling it and locking it behind a setting. I'm sure they will in a few years once 5G is more prevalent as well.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I think the rate is at least 1GB an hour, yeah I even used the hacked one back in the day. I think Sony pushes bitrate high because if the wifi is shit I've had issues too.

I think it might be higher than that, arent video captures 1GB for 15 min? I assume they are just sending the raw hardware encode to cut down on delay. Maybe 1GB per 15 min is at 1080p, not sure

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Let people have the option. I've played hours of Gamepass and supported online games via tethering on cellular data

They should give people the option and do what every online service with cellular option has ever done and say:

"Performance may vary over mobile data connections, we advise using wifi"

Job done and everyone gets the option that's right for them.

It's much worse to cut people off from cellular especiially when some people are getting hundreds of megabits down on 5g?
If the performance is always bad then exactly what's the point? People literally had unlocked remote play on android and consensus was it was not worth it. If 5G works out well and they actually bump data caps on unlimited then yes it would work well. Esp if they downgrade the video.

There's no harm enabling it and locking it behind a setting. I'm sure they will in a few years once 5G is more prevalent as well.
Sure. But you still have data caps on bandwith after you exceed a certain amount. Look at data usage after an hour of play. You will be throttled if you hit it heavy. They can enable it but most people aren't going to use it reliably. It doesn't even work to well depending on wifi connections either and I've been in various hotels for work from Marriott to Hilton etc. I relegated to traveling with my system instead. When I was traveling the last two years.
I think it might be higher than that, arent video captures 1GB for 15 min? I assume they are just sending the raw hardware encode to cut down on delay. Maybe 1GB per 15 min is at 1080p, not sure
That's honestly a conservative estimate it def may be higher.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't update my app in a while.

But I used to be able to do remote play on LTE on my Android device just fine.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's not always bad I just used it yesterday on my series S, maybe my area just has a good signal I'm sure some areas are better than others
Yeah it def can, it's a crap shoot. I'm not arguing that they shouldn't have it, just more it's shit at least on the Sony side, like bad enough even hotel wifi even on their premium internet it's not reliable to the point I think they are using a heavy bitrate to enable it to be more reliable where then data usage is way higher, and need better bandwidth.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
When I used my 5G signal XCloud and remote play played really well, to my surprise. Still, remote play kinda sucks and I much prefer playing locally.

The option should be provided though.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
With 5g becoming more prevalent, maybe Sony will change this?

Probably just trying to protect themselves from complaints because historically remote play over cellular would have been terrible (and still is for most places.)

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. But you still have data caps on bandwith after you exceed a certain amount. Look at data usage after an hour of play. You will be throttled if you hit it heavy. They can enable it but most people aren't going to use it reliably. It doesn't even work to well depending on wifi connections either and I've been in various hotels for work from Marriott to Hilton etc. I relegated to traveling with my system instead. When I was traveling the last two years.

I don't think anyone is going to be playing for multiple hours per day on a cell network when using remote play. It's definitely more for shorter sessions and when traveling like you mentioned, you're better off playing via PSnow or xCloud since you're likely going to have a connection closer to a data center than you will your home console. If the game you want to play isn't available on those services, then you'll just be dealing with macroblocking more than anything depending on your home network setup when playing from long distances.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think anyone is going to be playing for multiple hours per day on a cell network when using remote play. It's definitely more for shorter sessions and when traveling like you mentioned, you're better off playing via PSnow or xCloud since you're likely going to have a connection closer to a data center than you will your home console. If the game you want to play isn't available on those services, then you'll just be dealing with macroblocking more than anything depending on your home network setup when playing from long distances.
This pretty much it cloud is great vs all the factors with the home console. It's honestly at best in the house and I like it when you can't use the tv it's connected to at the moment etc. but remote yea anything longer than 30 mins it's not reliable.

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
Unless Sony has changed their policy they're still letting publishers block remote play completely, so I dunno if they'd care about providing more options for people to use it as they wish.

Does Microsoft let publishers block remote play for any games? Curious.