• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I paid 270 for it, but again I got lucky with when I bought it. It's too big for us (family of 3) at 3700 sf and even has a casita/guest house. We have it listed at 699 though people say I should go up to 800+. If it's underpriced, then i should get multiple offers and it'll sell for what it's worth. Not interested in being super greedy and overpricing it then sitting on it.

I live in a house and it's not a shithole? but it's not...It ain't damn nowhere near nice as this but I could sell mine for 1.4 mil easy atm but my point is I definitely agree with what the people are saying you could go up to 800+ easily.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are you selling?

Don't be concerned about being 'greedy', don't price it too competitively. It isn't a fixer upper.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you all, seriously appreciate the kind words. This house took some years out of my life but I'm incredibly proud of it.

I can see why that style is popular but not a huge fan personally. I like color and things to look at. Can't even count how many times strangers and friends have told me I've pigeon holed myself and my house wouldn't sell one day because it didn't follow the current trend.

I paid 270 for it, but again I got lucky with when I bought it. It's too big for us (family of 3) at 3700 sf and even has a casita/guest house. We have it listed at 699 though people say I should go up to 800+. If it's underpriced, then i should get multiple offers and it'll sell for what it's worth. Not interested in being super greedy and overpricing it then sitting on it.

I tried to turn this house into a santa-fe/mexican style home when it wasn't really built to be that. The new house we bought is exactly that and has way more potential to be osmething I could NEVER turn this house into. Here's a pic of the front for reference...

v4ZHpcg.jpg

ThgUl1y.jpg

Wow, even at $700-$800k that seems like a steal.

The exterior of the new home is amazing though, and I can see the appeal. I'm sure the interior will end up being just as amazing.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
9 years of piece by piece remodeling sounds like a nightmare lol. Your wife must be a saint. Good looking house though. It obviously has a lot of style choices that might scare some off, but more than likely you'll find folks who like what you did, or only want to make minor changes, that will buy.

DesmondGreer

Oct 27, 2017
Well done. Love the tile work, if you can, please let us know where you got those tiles from. As well, enjoy the new journey with your family. I like the woodshop design, maximizing the space is key and looks like you nailed it. 🤙

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Curious if i have to disclose that thread in the seller-disclosure. Things calmed down when the heavy construction stopped (or maybe it was because my son got older?) but I have many many more stories since that thread.

Former realtor.

You are not legally required at all to disclose the paranormal in a seller disclosure; it's not a measurable defect of the house.

OP
OP
Tapiozona

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well done. Love the tile work, if you can, please let us know where you got those tiles from. As well, enjoy the new journey with your family. I like the woodshop design, maximizing the space is key and looks like you nailed it. 🤙

Got them from a few places. Most of it came from a small mexican tile store i found right by my work that closed down. Some of it came from..

Some of it came from Monterey Tile and my absolute favorites, around the front door, came from Tres Amigos in Tucson which closed down. You can't tell in the picture but they're textured.
Also thanks!

9 years of piece by piece remodeling sounds like a nightmare lol. Your wife must be a saint. Good looking house though. It obviously has a lot of style choices that might scare some off, but more than likely you'll find folks who like what you did, or only want to make minor changes, that will buy.

She is and it honestly had impact on our marriage and sanity. Coming home to the shitstorm for that long wears on you. From the people who've come so far the majority have had huge praise but quite a few just went 'ehh' and left. I'm ok with that though, it's not for everyone.

I live in a house and it's not a shithole? but it's not...It ain't damn nowhere near nice as this but I could sell mine for 1.4 mil easy atm but my point is I definitely agree with what the people are saying you could go up to 800+ easily.
Wow, even at $700-$800k that seems like a steal.

The exterior of the new home is amazing though, and I can see the appeal. I'm sure the interior will end up being just as amazing.
Looking at that home it's def more 700-800 range. It's beautiful

Location location location. Arizona is still relatively cheap compared to some areas of the US, especially the US.. We had one home in our neighborhood sell for 250k over the highest comp..its was really nice but they weren't desperate to sell and someone from the bay area REALLY wanted it and was willing to meet their price which everyone thought was absurd..waived apprisals. Mine is still over the next highest comp for my model. I really hope I can hit 750 but I can't say the tempation from people's recommendations doesn't make me think. I trust my realtor though. He's a very close friend, top 100 sales wise and volume wise for AZ, and he's not charging me comission.

I really hope I get a cali buyer..3 of the people who came by today were representing out of state buyers and hoping all of them were CA

Last edited:

DesmondGreer

Oct 27, 2017
Got them from a few places. Most of it came from a small mexican tile store i found right by my work that closed down. Some of it came from..

Some of it came from Monterey Tile and my absolute favorites, around the front door, came from Tres Amigos in Tucson which closed down. You can't tell in the picture but they're textured.
Also thanks!

She is and it honestly had impact on our marriage and sanity. Coming home to the shitstorm for that long wears on you. From the people who've come so far the majority have had huge praise but quite a few just went 'ehh' and left. I'm ok with that though, it's not for everyone.

Also thanks!

someone may come along that just likes the skeleton and grounds but wants a different style. So be it. It was your project and you fulfilled It and then some. Time for you to move forward and begin the next chapter, but your story wouldn't be where it is now had you not lived through the last chapter.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Also thanks!

Location location location. Arizona is still relatively cheap compared to some areas of the US, especially the US.. We had one home in our neighborhood sell for 250k over the highest comp..its was really nice but they weren't desperate to sell and someone from the bay area REALLY wanted it and was willing to meet their price which everyone thought was absurd..waived apprisals. Mine is still over the next highest comp for my model. I really hope I can hit 750 but I can't say the tempation from people's recommendations doesn't make me think. I trust my realtor though. He's a very close friend, top 100 sales wise and volume wise for AZ, and he's not charging me comission.

I really hope I get a cali buyer..3 of the people who came by today were representing out of state buyers and hoping all of them were CA
Right now it's been a crazy sellers market because of low inventory due to Covid so I can def see you get pretty high a number.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Wow. That is a gorgeous house! Your work is truly incredible. I'd be sad too leaving that, especially considering you did it yourself. I hope you get a really good price for it. You deserve it.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
After that much time and how gorgeous it looks, I'd have trouble getting rid of it as well. Here I am, trying to get rid of my house, but this crazy market has been impeding me for the last four months.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Very nice OP. I wouldnt have thought it was Chandler/Gilbert going by the pics, looks more like old town Scotts/Arcadia on the outside. Love the use of tilework.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, place is almost 5x bigger than the condo I bought a little over a year ago and is only twice the price. Maybe Ill move in the future, as I woupd like to have a yard at somepoint. For now though, just happy I have 2 parking spots.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Yo that is gorgeous. I like the tiles, it feels very spacious as well. There's lots of work and love in that house.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Amazing looking house. Not my style, but I can appreciate the aesthetics.

My wife is wife days we will move in another 5-10 years, and may redo all carpets and this and that, then move. I'm in no hurry to spend the money, but I'd like to enjoy some upgrades before flipping it right away.

That's the feeling I got from you calling 3 off the finishing touches with a sale sign. But, you've got another project.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
Holy shit at first I was like come on man you being a bit dramatic aren't you? Then I remember your old post and see the amazing transformation. Jesus man you did freaking awesome. No wonder you are feeling as you do. Seriously I was hit immediately with the immense sense of how much effort you put into that. No way you are getting the proper value of what it will sell for.

Time to put in the same effort in the new home eh?

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Jealous of that workshop. You've got room for a proper jointer and I didn't see a thickness planer in there but I'm going to assume it's in there or I'll be up all night in a rage.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Very cool looking stuff man, also the new house, yeah I see what you mean - I think you can make it even more gorgeous. That red stucco/clay stuff is absolutely amazing, makes me wanna move to Arizona. Ensure you landscape with awesome giant cactii and succulents. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Tapiozona

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Jealous of that workshop. You've got room for a proper jointer and I didn't see a thickness planer in there but I'm going to assume it's in there or I'll be up all night in a rage.

Planer, drill press, lathe, and spindle sander are all out of frame. Saving for a cnc router next, only problem is my wife knows how much a good one costs so I can't sneak one in and say I got it cheap on amazon.

The new house has an actual workshop detached from the main garage so I get to actually have a garage as well. It was the main selling point for me

Is the house really haunted, OP?

Yes.
Or it was. There's more things that happened after that thread, especially with my son but honestly now.. nothing.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Planer, drill press, lathe, and spindle sander are all out of frame. Saving for a cnc router next, only problem is my wife knows how much a good one costs so I can't sneak one in and say I got it cheap on amazon.

The new house has an actual workshop detached from the main garage so I get to actually have a garage as well. It was the main selling point for me

I hate you. (So very jealous)

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing job and amazing final result OP!
Looks like a beautiful home and I'm sure who ever buys it will love it. All the best with selling it.

I'm in the middle of a Knock down rebuild (just finished the knock down part). Even though the place was old and falling apart, seeing photos from only four months ago of my kids playing in the old house, which is the only home they had known since birth, definitely pulls at the heartstrings and makes me miss it.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Fucking BEAUTIFUL house OP. As a new homeowner in a 'fix me up' myself you've raised the bar and I know I won't come close to achieving that...

With how the housing market is now, hopefully the money you recieve from selling more than make up for the hard work you put in for it. I know nothing about Arizona but I'm going to guess that home will not be on the market long

Bravo, and good luck!

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Honestly I can't imagine where you're moving to that's an upgrade. I'm sure it is, I just literally can't imagine it. If nothing else I'm sure all your hard work is going to be handsomely rewarded.
LOL right? thats my thought after looking at this. Unless just wanting to move like out of Arizona to something else completely.

Noctilum

Nov 28, 2017
Beautiful house. We are in the market but are priced out of Chandler and Gilbert. Have to resort to Maricopa. Good luck with the sale.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
We purchased a house which I was VERY against purchasing in 2012 in Arizona. On the plus side it was a subdivision in a neighborhood we couldn't afford 5 years prior and absolutely loved but on the negative side it was in a ROUGH shape. My wife fell in love with it immediately but all I saw was an unrelenting amount of work to make it how I wanted. I'm the kind of person who doesn't see a house as an investment and will do whatever I need in order to make it something I'm comfortable in..i.e. my home is my sanctuary.

Some of you may remember me from the "My house is haunted" thread. This is that same house..
https://www.resetera.com/threads/my-house-is-haunted.55977/

Over the course of 9 years, our house was in a constant state of remodeling. It went fast at first but over the years our lives changed, we had a child, I got busier at work, and my wife's career/schooling went 10 different directions and I eventually burned out. I'm super handy and can basically do anything construction/renovation wise but I'm also cheap so the thought of hiring it out never sat well with me. I'm also meticulous and find that people who didn't have ownership in something did things half ass so in the end I did everything myself.

I've basically touched/redone everything in this house. Inside I basically went down to the studs and on the outside I bulldozed most everything and started anew.

We've been fortunate in that we bought this house at the absolute low in Arizona back when the market crashed in early 2012 and have already purchased our new home which proceeds from the old paid a hefty chunk of the down payment.

The house went on the market today and I'm genuinely incredibly sad. I've put so much blood sweat and tears into this house and I'll never get to live in and enjoy any of it. I literally finished the remodel today 10 minutes before the first showing but for the past decade the house has been a warzone and an absolute anxiety incuding mess. I didnt do any of this remodel with the purpose of selling. If anything the things I did probably hurt my chances of selling because I did it my way, not the way that would maximize my returns. I hate to let it go. It's not perfect by any means. Ive been doing this so long that things I finished early on I want to completely redo at this point but at a certain point I had to say enough is enough and just finish, letting the next owners decide what to change.

Not sure the point of this thread. Part of it is to show off everything I did, part of it is to vent on losing something so near and dear to me. I love our new house..its also going to take some remodeling but this home is our first "real" home and I literally gave a part of me to create it.

Here's some pics from the listing. The pool is probably my favorite thing..i did everything but dig the hole, spray the concrete and pebble tech.

Also if anyone is looking for a house in the Chandler/Gilbert area of AZ.....

IonaS2J.jpg

6uDQz7u.jpg

r13RLtD.jpg

6o7vWnZ.jpg

CsXnMzb.jpg

xMhxyZf.jpg

G0HbIzk.jpg

NrLfkDJ.jpg

0PgFszv.jpg

mAIZYu6.jpg

RPGxlCc.jpg

Aao8XQP.jpg

YIaGve4.jpg

0S65xnW.jpg

FZZAdok.jpg

wKOJx88.jpg

X7aduzl.jpg

1d50LII.jpg

08d1MgP.jpg

Looks awesome! I'll buy it so you can come stay whenever you want

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
If it is any consolation op, a stack of 100 dollar bills are pretty good to wipe your tears with, they also make a good pile to lie down on when you get overwhelmed with grief over the loss of your home. By the looks of the house you should get an adequate amount of these hundred bills after the house sells.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

That seems like crazy low price. Though I guess if you bought around 2009 - 2012 home prices were fairly low. Some of my friends lucked out on good houses around that time.

Meanwhile 270k in Phoenix now gets you maybe a 1200 sqft house, unless you want to live out in Maricopa or San Tan Valley.

I tried to turn this house into a santa-fe/mexican style home when it wasn't really built to be that. The new house we bought is exactly that and has way more potential to be osmething I could NEVER turn this house into. Here's a pic of the front for reference...

v4ZHpcg.jpg

ThgUl1y.jpg

If your old house was too big, those pictures don't make the new one seem smaller, lol. Looks like the big houses out in east Apache Junction, or like Pinnacle Peak area or whatever.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. That looks so pretty! Such beautiful work man. I'm sure that you can do the same beautiful work with your next purchase.
I understand why you're sad to see it go.

OP
OP
Tapiozona

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That seems like crazy low price. Though I guess if you bought around 2009 - 2012 home prices were fairly low. Some of my friends lucked out on good houses around that time.

Meanwhile 270k in Phoenix now gets you maybe a 1200 sqft house, unless you want to live out in Maricopa or San Tan Valley.

If your old house was too big, those pictures don't make the new one seem smaller, lol. Looks like the big houses out in east Apache Junction, or like Pinnacle Peak area or whatever.

Close..its NE Mesa, right by Las Sendas. It's nutty how much houses have gone up though..i have a friend who lives near Arcadia and I thought they paid a ton when they did 5-10 years ago..now their houses are basically gold

What is this room even for?

Drinking. It's a bar. There's a gap between two of the cabinets on hte far wall that was supposed to be for a built in kegerator/tap in the counter but when I realized I was selling i didn't bother buying that and will let the next people do it if they end up keeping the room what it is.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Close..its NE Mesa, right by Las Sendas. It's nutty how much houses have gone up though..i have a friend who lives near Arcadia and I thought they paid a ton when they did 5-10 years ago..now their houses are basically gold

Ah, that was one of my other guesses. I live like 5 miles from Las Sendas.

Though I'm still living with my dad, so when I actually start looking for my own house its going to suck that I can't buy in the area. I just want an RV gate which most affordable houses don't have as they're too close together.