• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
We purchased a house which I was VERY against purchasing in 2012 in Arizona. On the plus side it was a subdivision in a neighborhood we couldn't afford 5 years prior and absolutely loved but on the negative side it was in a ROUGH shape. My wife fell in love with it immediately but all I saw was an unrelenting amount of work to make it how I wanted. I'm the kind of person who doesn't see a house as an investment and will do whatever I need in order to make it something I'm comfortable in..i.e. my home is my sanctuary.

Some of you may remember me from the "My house is haunted" thread. This is that same house..
https://www.resetera.com/threads/my-house-is-haunted.55977/

Over the course of 9 years, our house was in a constant state of remodeling. It went fast at first but over the years our lives changed, we had a child, I got busier at work, and my wife's career/schooling went 10 different directions and I eventually burned out. I'm super handy and can basically do anything construction/renovation wise but I'm also cheap so the thought of hiring it out never sat well with me. I'm also meticulous and find that people who didn't have ownership in something did things half ass so in the end I did everything myself.

I've basically touched/redone everything in this house. Inside I basically went down to the studs and on the outside I bulldozed most everything and started anew.

We've been fortunate in that we bought this house at the absolute low in Arizona back when the market crashed in early 2012 and have already purchased our new home which proceeds from the old paid a hefty chunk of the down payment.

The house went on the market today and I'm genuinely incredibly sad. I've put so much blood sweat and tears into this house and I'll never get to live in and enjoy any of it. I literally finished the remodel today 10 minutes before the first showing but for the past decade the house has been a warzone and an absolute anxiety incuding mess. I didnt do any of this remodel with the purpose of selling. If anything the things I did probably hurt my chances of selling because I did it my way, not the way that would maximize my returns. I hate to let it go. It's not perfect by any means. Ive been doing this so long that things I finished early on I want to completely redo at this point but at a certain point I had to say enough is enough and just finish, letting the next owners decide what to change.

Not sure the point of this thread. Part of it is to show off everything I did, part of it is to vent on losing something so near and dear to me. I love our new house..its also going to take some remodeling but this home is our first "real" home and I literally gave a part of me to create it.

Here's some pics from the listing. The pool is probably my favorite thing..i did everything but dig the hole, spray the concrete and pebble tech.

Also if anyone is looking for a house in the Chandler/Gilbert area of AZ.....

IonaS2J.jpg

6uDQz7u.jpg

r13RLtD.jpg

6o7vWnZ.jpg

CsXnMzb.jpg

xMhxyZf.jpg

G0HbIzk.jpg

NrLfkDJ.jpg

0PgFszv.jpg

mAIZYu6.jpg

RPGxlCc.jpg

Aao8XQP.jpg

YIaGve4.jpg

0S65xnW.jpg

FZZAdok.jpg

wKOJx88.jpg

X7aduzl.jpg

1d50LII.jpg

08d1MgP.jpg

Last edited:

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I can't imagine where you're moving to that's an upgrade. I'm sure it is, I just literally can't imagine it. If nothing else I'm sure all your hard work is going to be handsomely rewarded.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Fuck, six months ago I was gonna move to Chandler and I would have been interested. House is gorgeous, it will sell fast in that area.

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely love the tile work on the staircase in picture 7. Beautiful work OP. You can see a lot of love and care went into it. I understand your sadness.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
Going out on a limb but going to say that that's an above average house for an era user.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Was gonna say interesting southwestern motif, then I saw AZ. So why did you get another house if you were constantly renovating?

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
It looks gorgeous and I feel sad for you, too. I wouldn't even know where to begin doing a remodel like this by myself; how'd you learn to do all of this?

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit OP, that's a gorgeous house and we're in Chandler just talking about buying a house.. do you have the listing?

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing house, I love that pool.

Post it in the "buying a house is soul crushing thread" maybe it'll go to somebody in the resetera family?

OP
OP
Tapiozona

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Thank you all, seriously appreciate the kind words. This house took some years out of my life but I'm incredibly proud of it.

It's a nice looking house. I love the floors, windows, and cabinets. Much nicer than a lot of the boring white on white on white houses you see everywhere nowadays.

I can see why that style is popular but not a huge fan personally. I like color and things to look at. Can't even count how many times strangers and friends have told me I've pigeon holed myself and my house wouldn't sell one day because it didn't follow the current trend.

Damn dude. That house looks mega expensive and beautiful.

I paid 270 for it, but again I got lucky with when I bought it. It's too big for us (family of 3) at 3700 sf and even has a casita/guest house. We have it listed at 699 though people say I should go up to 800+. If it's underpriced, then i should get multiple offers and it'll sell for what it's worth. Not interested in being super greedy and overpricing it then sitting on it.

Was gonna say interesting southwestern motif, then I saw AZ. So why did you get another house if you were constantly renovating?

I tried to turn this house into a santa-fe/mexican style home when it wasn't really built to be that. The new house we bought is exactly that and has way more potential to be osmething I could NEVER turn this house into. Here's a pic of the front for reference...

v4ZHpcg.jpg

ThgUl1y.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tapiozona

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Curious, what was this room used for, looks like a bar?
Exactly. There's a gap between 2 of the cabinets which was going to be a undercounter kegerator with taps in the counter. Once I realized I was oging to sell I didn't spend the money to install one. Originally it was a 'family room'. The one, as a kid, your parents never used but also kept perfectly vacuumed lines in it for when guests came over (but never did). I figured I'd turn it into something I'd actually use

Stealth brag thread I see. Congrats on the money and good taste, OP.

No lies detected. I'm humble-ish but also proud of things I make..don't have a huge amount of friends to show it off to

Curious if i have to disclose that thread in the seller-disclosure. Things calmed down when the heavy construction stopped (or maybe it was because my son got older?) but I have many many more stories since that thread.

Hey, I have that same bedframe!

IKEA for the win. None of the furniture in my house is expensive. I literally bought all of it used on craigslist and faceobook marketplace for pennies on the dollar. Like I said, I'm incredibly cheap

This makes me miss the time when I had a nice house to live in before my dad passed away

Gorgeous backyard

fuck

Sorry man. I'm sure your dad was an awesome person and his legacy lives on in the person you've become. You'll get things back

Last edited:

Sayre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love the pictures and the pool is amazing! I'm surprised you did all that yourself. Do you have a background in this or something? I've been wanting to remodel a few areas around the house but I'm not the handiest person out there so I will end up paying a contractor. I've done various home repairs and googled/youtubed how to do stuff. But what I often find is that there's always something unexpected that comes up that my research doesn't go over.

I honestly love the uniqueness of your house and that it's not the typical cookie cutter style. They look nice, but after a while, the sameness gets to me.

Are you going to spend another 9 years to remodel your new home?

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wow you really put a lot of love into that. I can see the fine details. Literally every plant on the property is curated to the max.

OP
OP
Tapiozona

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I love the pictures and the pool is amazing! I'm surprised you did all that yourself. Do you have a background in this or something? I've been wanting to remodel a few areas around the house but I'm not the handiest person out there so I will end up paying a contractor. I've done various home repairs and googled/youtubed how to do stuff. But what I often find is that there's always something unexpected that comes up that my research doesn't go over.

I honestly love the uniqueness of your house and that it's not the typical cookie cutter style. They look nice, but after a while, the sameness gets to me.

Are you going to spend another 9 years to remodel your new home?

I'm a statistician/cartographer by trade and work a computer/sales job too many hours a week. I wasn't handy when i was younger but I didn't like paying for labor costs because I was cheap so youtube/research taught me everything. None of it is hard, just have to commit and then you realize its more time, than difficulty.
100% agree with the unexpected stuff but normally the answers were easier than I over-thought. Also deeper googling and patience normally found the answer

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't prepared for those pics! Holy shit dude that is one amazing house. Can you remodel mine?