• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I just beat the game and I really enjoyed it though there are some things that bothered me

- The sorta-kinda futuristic temples in the 2nd zone look too damn samey and it's easy to get lost in
- Rerolling a world should give you access to items and bosses that aren't found in your first playthrough and not be entirely RNG as this would encourage people to replay the game more instead of waiting around in discord for someone to host a mission/boss they need
- There is no option to sell/destroy equipment. I picked up a +6 gear in the second zone while my gear was only +4 which forced me upgrade my stuff to +6 to keep up in the next zone.
- Online mode is bare bones as hell as it simply matches you up with whoever. There should be a server browser that shows what stage a player is in and what the zone level is.
- The adds in certain bosses are a little overwhelming. I'm sure the devs have gotten enough complaints about which one they are so I'll leave it at that. Ideally, I would have preferred it if they balance a boss around having zero adds.
- The "final" boss is underwhelming and too easy to beat. It literally only has 1 attack.

Despite my complaints, I still think this is a really good game and worth the price of admission. I'm gonna be trying to get the remaining stuff I didn't get from my first playthrough.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game today. Once I got passed the sewers the game went from incredibly hard to being actually pretty easy in comparison. Aside from the ent, butcher, and the final boss I think on average each boss took me 10-15 minutes to beat.

Great game though! Very fun and I'm glad I didn't drop it early on when it was seeming very hard to me. I don't feel as though the final bosses mechanic was very clear though? I had to look it up (while dodging shots lol)

Greecian

Oct 27, 2017
My friend exited to the main menu and his character had disappeared. His cloud save also wasn't uploaded. This sucks. We've probably put 30 hours into the game together and now his progress is just gone.

PS4 pro btw

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Was playing the game with friends and we just quit (forever) after fighting Nightmare for over an hour.
This was the worst final boss I've fought since Clive Barker's Undying.
What's the point of having multiplayer if only one person can damage the boss at a time?
What's the point of having dozens of diverse weapons if the game's just gonna make up damage numbers (doing 500,000 damage isn't 'cool', it's stupid) and only one mod actually matters?

It sucks because I think the game overall is fun and really enjoyed the challenge previously, but this finale is absolutely terrible and makes me retroactively dislike the whole experience.

The last fight is meant to be a gimmick fight. He's the Dreamer and that's his Nightmare phase (hence the big #'s, everything is skewed in that realm). It ties into the lore. A lot of people feel the big numbers are pretty cool, but of course, not everyone agrees. Unsure what difficulty you are on, but most people tend to kill the final boss on normal (solo or coop) in about 6-7 minutes.

Also, way more than one mod matters in that fight, however. Song of Swords, Hotshot, Swarm, Breath of the Desert, Mender's Aura, etc. It's all about finding ways to get maximum stacks and then use them to your advantage (Hotshot does wonders because the DOT also benefits from the stacks).

After beating every boss and playing and enjoying the game greatly I will agree with the sentiment that the adds are just too much and cheapen the fights with uncreative difficulty. I love dark Souls and Monster Hunter and some of these bosses show flashes of that level of fun then you throw in a bunch of respawning mobs that come from all directions and completely screw up a fun fight. It's not that adds are bad it's just that these bossses rely on them far too much. It feels like damn near every fight. I just spent hours clearing these guys last thing I want to do is fight them again while taking on a new boss. I wish the fights were redesigned to not rely on this mechanic so much and any future ones are devoid of adds. I really enjoy this game, I'm nowhere near done playing it but just had to give some input.

Dark Souls and Monster Hunter bosses are not fair comparisons because the vast majority of those games are designed with you being point blank next to the boss to do any damage (sure, MH has 3 ranged weapons but they have some heavy penalties). When you have ranged in Dark Souls, the game becomes insanely easy. "Uncreative" is pretty strong when the vast majority of every coop shooter boss relies on adds. The adds are meant to distract you, thats's what they do in Destiny (1 and 2), that's what they do in Borderlands, that's what they do in Division etc.

As for the tuning (the speed they respawn, their intensity)... of course it could be adjusted, but "uncreative" is a little strong when adds are the norm in shooters.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls and Monster Hunter bosses are not fair comparisons because the vast majority of those games are designed with you being point blank next to the boss to do any damage (sure, MH has 3 ranged weapons but they have some heavy penalties). When you have ranged in Dark Souls, the game becomes insanely easy. "Uncreative" is pretty strong when the vast majority of every coop shooter boss relies on adds. The adds are meant to distract you, thats's what they do in Destiny (1 and 2), that's what they do in Borderlands, that's what they do in Division etc.

As for the tuning (the speed they respawn, their intensity)... of course it could be adjusted, but "uncreative" is a little strong when adds are the norm in shooters.
I guess since this game feels so much more like a souls type game than a borderlands and destiny to me I just viewed it differently. Your right though. I've often thought to myself how could they make these fights harder without adds given that we have guns and could just unload on them from a distance and it doesn't seem like something that would be easy. My wording was too harsh but it was mostly from frustration. I don't think the fights are too hard mind you I just really dislike being distracted from a good boss by fighting more waves of enemies I've just cleared hundreds of. Maybe it's just inevitable. But again this is more of a shooter than anything so your reasoning is sound. I guess it's just the souls player in me. You guys have made a fantastic game that will probably go down as one of my favorites. Thanks for the replies and transparency.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I know it's easier said than done but it would set a really nice precedent if a team were to make a coop shooter with bosses that are fun and challenging and doesn't rely on adds.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I know it's easier said than done but it would set a really nice precedent if a team were to make a coop shooter with bosses that are fun and challenging and doesn't rely on adds.

Thats my take on it.

Most bosses that dont have adds are insanely easy in SP. Bosses with adds in SP can be hard, when 6 enemies attack you at once, in coop though with similar level players they are also easy, because the adds dont stack. So when it was 1 vs 6. before it is now 2 vs 6.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to throw out that adds almost always spawned only in front of me and only got weird when I was moving a lot or looking around a lot so they'd end up spawning in weird places trying to keep up with me. Thought it worked well.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
So I have 15 hours played and wanted to give my 2 cents about the game.

I'm really loving it! Graphics are good if not exceptional, sound is good and the gameplay loop is really great. Weapons are fun to shoot. Controls need a little bit of work on PS4 but nothing game breaking, I saw that the next patch is going to work out the stick dead zone so I guess it will be taken care of.

The biggest issue I have with the game is the bosses design. They all look cool and are interesting but the add thing ruins any fun they might be. I know it has been discussed to death but it's just ridiculous.

Every single boss I played until now has been accompanied by loads of adds. I understand the need for adds to provide ammo to players but honestly my impression is that adds are included mainly to provide challenge because bosses by themselves are ridiculous easy.

I'm not that far, I just finished Rhom but every single boss I played has been like that.

First one was Shroud. This one was ok, adds were not overwhelming and you could hear a sound cue when they spawned. Cool fight.

Second was Gorefist. Boss itself - super easy. Exploding Adds? Annoying. Buy and level up the shotty, dodge Gorefist charge, hit him in the back, kill adds repeat. It wasn't hard, the Boss never killed me, but I died a few times on this fight because of adds explosion.

Third was The Ent. This one was OK as well, mainly because of the size of the arena. Just kill all the adds and unload on the boss when you have the chance. It took awhile but was easy.

Fourth was Scourge. Now things started to get really annoying because adds spawned constantly. I killed two adds and almost immediately two others would rush me from behind. No sound cue either, not that I could notice.

Fifth was The Harrow and this was by far the most annoying boss fight I have seen in a long time. With the exception of the very beginning when you could unload on the boss just as you entered the arena this fight had FIVE OR SIX ADDS AT ALL TIMES RUSHING ME. It was really amazing, except in a bad way. One type of add was easily killed with melee but the other was explosive. Boss would melt when I had the time to hit him but he would run away and then it was just wave after wave of adds...throw in the environmental hazards and this was a bad design IMO.

I'm playing solo, so maybe with a group it would be more manageable but I can see a lot of people dropping the game because of this, getting stuck on some boss. I have no idea how to balance this considering the bosses seem to be fairly easy by themselves but it is something that the devs need to work on ASAP. Bosses are just not that fun right now.

Besides the boss problem, the game is really great and I'm having a blast. If the devs can keep up pumping new content I can see myself playing this for a long time. And I would have no problem paying more for DLC, either new game content or even cosmetic. Just be reasonable and fair about pricing guys, 10, 15 bucks for a skin is ridiculous...(I'm looking at you Path Of Exile! I love you but your cosmetics pricing are not reasonable).

The first area of Rhom, the abandoned desert village made me remember the village at the start of Resident Evil 4 with all the enemies rushing at me and I just running and shooting, dodging then in the buildings and houses...it was great! I'm saying this because I think this game is really a rough diamond and with enough care and work this could turn into an indie classic!

Edit: Just saw that a dev was right now commenting on the whole adds thing. I don't want dog pile and I didn't see the discussion before I posted. I just wanted to give my two cents because I'm enjoying the game a lot.

Last edited:

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Gorefist - Let the sacks get close and then roll away just before they self detonate. You don't even have to shoot them. They make a ton of noise as they approach.

Shroud - You can basically just run around ignoring them even on nightmare. The airburst explosions are a bigger problem and they teach you to stay on the move.

Ent - Roll away from the sacks just before they explode. Lure in the little critter guys and then let the Ent destroy them all with a shockwave or it's barrage of exploding bombs. Again, you don't even need to shoot them.

And so on.

Remember that enemies do friendly fire. There's usually a simple strategy to managing the adds if you just look for it.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Gorefist - Let the sacks get close and then roll away just before they self detonate. You don't even have to shoot them. They make a ton of noise as they approach.

So what you're saying is... "just don't get hit". Wow, great tip. Now I feel dumb for not figuring it out.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
So what you're saying is... "just don't get hit". Wow, great tip. Now I feel dumb for not figuring it out.

No, I'm saying the adds are much more manageable if you're not focused on shooting them (in that fight at least). One will take out all the others on it's own if they're grouped up.

Obviously the idea is not to get hit, but I'm not just telling you to git gud. Unless he's enraged Gorefist will do that move where he drags his sword on the ground to close distance. You can just run past it, do some damage and then listen for the adds.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I don't really see why bosses and adds are considered as distinct. Treat them as an encounter. You may not like it, but it's that way for a reason.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
The adds being manageable doesn't make them an acceptable catch all difficulty tuner. I can count on one hand the number of bosses that even had a follow up attack to their basic melee charge at you move which means 90+% of the time you dodge roll one time and you're clear. There was never one of those tense artorias level engagements where i had to really learn a bosses tells to weave through their attack patterns looking for openings to hit back, or a 'the end' style game of cat and mouse in a large environment, or something that plays with aggro like a blind boss that can be fooled into attacking wrong directions with bells or whatever idea that isn't just adds adds adds.

Even when a boss does have a gimmick that isn't adds, they still throw in adds instead of doubling down on the gimmick. Like the boss that has a big laser and you hide behind pillars, that only lasts like 2 minutes before all the pillars are broken and the focal point of your attention the whole time is adds adds adds when they could have just made more pillars or regenerating pillars or a second beam from a different angle that changes which areas are safe or added more of the shield powering node things you need to break to hit the boss or anything else to hold your attention that wasn't just adds. But it's always adds.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
There isn't an Artorias 'weave' because you can stand at the other end of the arena and snipe the boss. This isn't to say more varied mechanics wouldn't be welcome, of course, but that I don't think treating bosses and adds as separate things, in an encounter sense, is the way to look at them.

Basically, the adds ARE attacks. It's helpful there are so many enemy types, though the basic attack patterns of the non-elites are not super varied.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Except a designer can choose what size an arena is or what speed a boss moves at, if they wanted to force a player with ranged tools to interact with a bosses suite of melee skills that's something they can do, and that's still only 1 alternative type of encounter design to play with. Thinking of adds as separate or unified with the boss's design isn't the problem, it's that the bosses repeat the same design too often. A big, tanky, often too easy boss, and waves of adds. Sometimes the adds are tied to a timer, sometimes the bosses health, sometimes a separate destructible object that's summoning them, sometimes the adds are melee focused, sometimes they shoot, whatever the variation on that same design the general gameplay for tackling them is all pretty similar.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I can't play this game for more than 15 minutes without it crashing to desktop. I've tried verifying the files and uninstalling and reinstalling it and installing it to a different hard drive and it still just constantly crashes

it's a bummer because I like it a lot it's just almost impossible for me to play right now

NikkiNailZ

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing since launch and i love that the game rewards you for the time you spent with it. The checkpoint system also makes it great to play in shorter sessions.

I didn't have too much trouble with Gorefist and Singe as i downed them in a couple of tries. Maybe i just got lucky.
Gorefist can be tricky but i noticed that it's very easy to get some distance from the adds and the boss if you use the environment, like jumping out of windows when they get close.

After the last few patches there seems to be some ghosting issues on PS4 when turning the camera, but that's only a minor complaint.

Oct 25, 2017
Was playing the game with friends and we just quit (forever) after fighting Nightmare for over an hour.
This was the worst final boss I've fought since Clive Barker's Undying.
What's the point of having multiplayer if only one person can damage the boss at a time?
What's the point of having dozens of diverse weapons if the game's just gonna make up damage numbers (doing 500,000 damage isn't 'cool', it's stupid) and only one mod actually matters?

It sucks because I think the game overall is fun and really enjoyed the challenge previously, but this finale is absolutely terrible and makes me retroactively dislike the whole experience.

Same point me and my friends quit at.

We tried for over an hour and couldn't figure out how much damage to do to open him up. There was no indication if what we were doing was successful. At one point, each one of us went into the nightmare realm twice, came out with 8-10 stacks and did damage on him. And he did not stagger at all.

The three reanimator boss fight (optional) is the worst boss fight in this game though. Just constant add spawns.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Same point me and my friends quit at.

We tried for over an hour and couldn't figure out how much damage to do to open him up. There was no indication if what we were doing was successful. At one point, each one of us went into the nightmare realm twice, came out with 8-10 stacks and did damage on him. And he did not stagger at all.
Yeah, the one thing i hate about the boss is that I don't think many if not most loadouts are capable of dealing enough damage in short period to open up the boss weak point. (At least in co-op?)

My friend's sniper rifle and flamethrower pistol? Opened like once in 2 dozen attempts.
My repeater and shotgun? Nope, not even at 16 buffs I think

... my corrosive homing insect mod that can attack single opponent several dozen times in short time period? Worked. Every. Single. Time. Even just at 7 buffs, which is trivial for my build to get.

Last edited:

Tbone3336

Oct 28, 2017
In thinking through the boss designs, and thinking of other options besides adds, the only other option given it is a ranged shooter game is to maybe somehow give the bosses better ranged attacks themselves. Like on Ent maybe have a root mechanic given his design type, where you have to watch for roots or get stuck for a period of time and open to some form of projectile attack. Or on a melee boss, give them a grapple attack where if it lands pulls you in close to them, making you have to deal with close quarter combat. I think the future has some neat options with a hopeful DLC or sequel.

Overall, I felt the movement aspect of the game was very welcome and opened up multiple possibilities for defeating bosses. I have found stamina is a great trait to emphasize given the need for constant movement. That and quick hands or whatever the reload speed trait really had me able to be moving and gaining distance when needed from adds or the boss so I could heal or remove status effects.

As Soj mentioned the game has mechanics in there that help with the adds. For the longest time I thought if the exploding pillows got near me it was guaranteed damage, until I found out you can roll away and take no damage almost up to the last second, and that the explosion kills other adds. Using the Rattleweed Mod helps also by drawing adds to one place then get close and those pillows explode as you roll away taking out many adds.

I enjoyed that aspect of figuring out ways to control the adds just as much fun as avoiding the actual boss and looked at it as just another attack pattern to handle and devise a plan to handle it.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I asked before but whats up with the Rattle Sweep..does it land at your feet when you use it or do you get a line where you can aim it somewhere after...when its full,I press R1 but nothing happens...unless because of the Icon I see it full but its not...? I am going to switch on my SMG so it fills faster and try it again later.

Last edited:

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
After beating every boss and playing and enjoying the game greatly I will agree with the sentiment that the adds are just too much and cheapen the fights with uncreative difficulty. I love dark Souls and Monster Hunter and some of these bosses show flashes of that level of fun then you throw in a bunch of respawning mobs that come from all directions and completely screw up a fun fight. It's not that adds are bad it's just that these bossses rely on them far too much. It feels like damn near every fight. I just spent hours clearing these guys last thing I want to do is fight them again while taking on a new boss. I wish the fights were redesigned to not rely on this mechanic so much and any future ones are devoid of adds. I really enjoy this game, I'm nowhere near done playing it but just had to give some input.

I agree with this. I've not fought every boss yet, but I've fought a bunch. It definitely feels like adds are being used as an artificial difficulty increase. I'd love to see new stuff added in the future that relied on mechanics instead.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I asked before but whats up with the Rattle Sweep..does it land at your feet when you use it or do you get a line where you can aim it somewhere after...when its full,I press R1 but nothing happens...unless because of the Icon I see it full but its not...? I am going to switch on my SMG so it fills faster and try it again later.

When it's filled press R1 and than aim where you want to shot it. This mod is a MUST in lots of boss fights!

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Rattle sweep is one of those mods that unlocks an "alt-fire" for the gun, basically. You do not immediately fire it upon pressing the mod button, you still have to go to firing mode and then pull the trigger to use it.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017

The boss fights feel like Destiny boss fights, which also swarm you with adds. Given, I believe the intent was to give you a source of ammo and have something for the whole team to focus on. I get that for sure and having adds isn't a big problem for me. My problem is the sheer amount of them that are sometimes thrown at you, especially with three players. I would be happy if they just toned that shit down sometimes.

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this in co-op with a friend of mine, and have had a great time. The adds don't feel cheap to me, though if I played solo I may feel differently.

Found a bug which should be easily reproducible tragic . We were in a dungeon and I accidentally jumped into a pit while I had Undying charged. I ended up soft-locked with my health depleted and screen flashing red.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Also just wanted to say that despite my minor gripes about the overuse of adds, the environment tiles that can make you feel like you turned yourself around and exited a dungeon with the same door you entered from but no it's just visually the exact same dead end street, or that the interesting story beats like mudtooth/brabus kind of dry up in the second half of the game (I can't even get any of the fords to talk to each other? really?), this game is still a straight 9/10 banger that is a steal at 40 bucks.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to mention my time last night...

It was me, my brother, and one of our buddies in discord running through the game. It absolutely becomes a totally different experience with a group of people working together and communicating. Popping heals, planning flanks, add management, etc. It feels wicked cool.

I respect how the game feels more paced and methodical solo vs skirmish-y with a group. And if it's a group you jive with, it's even more excellent. We lost it when we ran into The Harrow and he just went bananas on my brother and shred him from full to dead in a split second. Or the last second kill on Scourge where we decided to go for a final Hail Mary and made it work. It makes for some really fantastic moments.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

While you're right in some ways, I think there are often better ways to distract the player than making the source of challenge, a horde of enemies that they've already fought, elsewhere.

When you fight the two bug people, they distract the player because there's... two of them, they also send out a host of projectiles for the player to shoot, these feel like unique elements to the fight and although they may achieve a similar purpose as filling the room with adds, they feel more deliberate and carefully designed.

I think on the whole the adds in this game are okay, but the most interesting fights tend to be that which rely on them a little less, and some fights really overstep the mark when the adds become more than a distraction, and instead exist as the primary source of challenge (the very first boss in the game 'Shroud' felt that way to me).

I also don't think adds are the norm in shooters. Maybe in Destiny, but aren't the same problems there too? Destiny's bosses are such a bore. Outside of Raids they are variants of enemies that already exist in the world, and exist as bullet sponges with the primary source of challenge coming from keeping track of all of the adds. Destiny's Raid bosses feature adds, but these are integrated in more interesting ways, where adds are often triggered by mechanics that interact with the boss.

I'm not sure you're right about Borderlands. I think bosses there, when they do feature tend to be focused on the boss itself, and far less on any sort of adds. I think Borderlands bosses are terrible by design anyway, mostly existing as DPS checks with unavoidable attacks that the player must simply tank. Most Borderlands arenas are also glitchable, which became a common means of circumventing the intended difficulty for the tougher fights, within the community.

Other shooters like Ratchet and Clank manage to offer great boss fights without distracting the player with adds. I'm not against adds featuring in boss fights, but I think they can be used in more interesting ways than they are in the boss fights in Remnant, and I feel that there should also be more head to head fights that don't focus on distracting the player.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
In a lot of shooters the adds are also secretly just ammo/health boxes for the player, so you can make it through an encounter even if you came in with low health or ammo.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
In a lot of shooters the adds are also secretly just ammo/health boxes for the player, so you can make it through an encounter even if you came in with low health or ammo.

In Borderlands, the fights that feature adds feel like they exist primarily as a means of allowing the player to self-revive.

Oct 27, 2017
The adds don't bother me at all as I see them as a needed complement to the bosses for various reasons (ammo, difficulty, rhythm of the encounter, etc). Maybe the tuning needs an adjustment for scaling for co-op but that's something that should be kept in mind and that it is the boss fights have to be tuned for 1-3 players and I don't want this game to become something that isn't really playable solo (or enjoyable). Adding more mechanics to boss fights to make them more interesting is going to be difficult concerning solo play.

It's a Souls-like with a focus on ranged weapons...use them.

Edit: The Nightmare difficulty should be super-difficult and take a while to figure out a strategy regarding solo/team composition (build wise) to complete. I would be more upset at the lack of rewards for completing encounters on different difficulties. There really isn't a ton of incentive to play hard/nightmare modes especially more than once.

Last edited:

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Is it just me or is this game an absolute fuck to set up for multiplayer? Honestly we spend 20 minutes at the start of every session perform the magic rites to connect to each other.

mercviper

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
tragic Picked this up a few days ago and having a blast in co-op. We totally cheesed the Shade & Shatter fight, I don't know if that's intended. Also, do you think there will be something akin to a stats screen in the future?

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Been distracted from this game by Astral Chain (and being so tired lately that I don't have the brainpower for a more demanding game), but I'm looking forward to getting back into it soon. The game really opens up in both the art and the level design once you get to the second world.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I guess since this game feels so much more like a souls type game than a borderlands and destiny to me I just viewed it differently. Your right though. I've often thought to myself how could they make these fights harder without adds given that we have guns and could just unload on them from a distance and it doesn't seem like something that would be easy. My wording was too harsh but it was mostly from frustration. I don't think the fights are too hard mind you I just really dislike being distracted from a good boss by fighting more waves of enemies I've just cleared hundreds of. Maybe it's just inevitable. But again this is more of a shooter than anything so your reasoning is sound. I guess it's just the souls player in me. You guys have made a fantastic game that will probably go down as one of my favorites. Thanks for the replies and transparency.

We definitely get judged against souls/mh bosses because the game feels that way (stamina driven avoidance, high dmg enemies, challenging) but yea, ranged sets the gameplay requirements apart (not better or worse, just different). I agree with you regarding being distracted from the good stuff... and that's something we will be focusing on in the future (as well as if/when we retro-tune the current stuff).

Agreed. Something we are going to specifically work on moving forward. =)

While you're right in some ways, I think there are often better ways to distract the player than making the source of challenge, a horde of enemies that they've already fought, elsewhere.

When you fight the two bug people, they distract the player because there's... two of them, they also send out a host of projectiles for the player to shoot, these feel like unique elements to the fight and although they may achieve a similar purpose as filling the room with adds, they feel more deliberate and carefully designed.

It's tomato/tomato(h). The projectiles are also adds (additional enemies that chase you down and try to do dmg to you... that must be shot before they hurt you). They are just a different type of adds, but still adds. That being said, it is a unique way to do it and "hide" the add effect. They actually used to drop ammo when they were above the bridge but no one realized it, so it was removed.

I think on the whole the adds in this game are okay, but the most interesting fights tend to be that which rely on them a little less, and some fights really overstep the mark when the adds become more than a distraction, and instead exist as the primary source of challenge (the very first boss in the game 'Shroud' felt that way to me).

Agreed. Some fight's definitely have a few too many and could use some love.

I also don't think adds are the norm in shooters. Maybe in Destiny, but aren't the same problems there too? Destiny's bosses are such a bore. Outside of Raids they are variants of enemies that already exist in the world, and exist as bullet sponges with the primary source of challenge coming from keeping track of all of the adds. Destiny's Raid bosses feature adds, but these are integrated in more interesting ways, where adds are often triggered by mechanics that interact with the boss.

Mechanically, there are more interesting ways to implement adds and it's something we will be doing moving forward (as well as backwards).

Other shooters like Ratchet and Clank manage to offer great boss fights without distracting the player with adds. I'm not against adds featuring in boss fights, but I think they can be used in more interesting ways than they are in the boss fights in Remnant, and I feel that there should also be more head to head fights that don't focus on distracting the player.

Definitely some work to be done. We will get there!

tragic Picked this up a few days ago and having a blast in co-op. We totally cheesed the Shade & Shatter fight, I don't know if that's intended. Also, do you think there will be something akin to a stats screen in the future?

Glad you are having fun. Shade/Shatter definitely bug out sometimes. Still trying to nail that one down. As for stats, I definitely hope we can do something like that in the future. =)

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Oh okay. So they don't save progress then but you can jump from there to home etc?

Cool. Good to know now!

Still enjoying it, but there is some realy jank at play.

The game saves when you sit at a checkpoint. I've quit plenty of sessions by sitting at a smaller checkpoint. When you start back up, you are back in Ward 13 and can just warp to the last checkpoint to get back to where you were. The smaller checkpoints don't show up on the warp list, but you can return to them if it is the last place you sat.

If you weren't able to do that, I'm not sure what happened.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
While Ratchet and Clank is my favorite series on PS2, there is one issue.

It's purely a singleplayer game, and most of the bosses would be trivialized by being able to split the boss' attention, even with scaled stats. This phenomenon would be even worse than it is in Souls regularily, because Souls games have a bigger melee emphasis, meaning that you often risk getting slapped by the same enemy attacks that are targeting your co-op partner.

Now, I'm not saying that every way they utilize adds in Remnant is as valid. Ravager is absolutely my favorite method of adds implementation. This is to a point where it made me look at some of the weaker boss designs a little more harsly, because this dev team seems to know better than to just put constant adds popping from unguarded nooks and crannies of the boss arena.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ Corgus, AKA the Swamp planet...

What were you thinking devs?

Elites everywhere, they regenerate health when taken down, and one of then summon regular enemies...

And the worst is that my guns barely do damage unless I hit their weak spots which isn't easy on consoles.

I'm running with a lvl. 10 hunting rifle and a lvl. 3 Defiler and I can't do enough damage.

I'm playing solo but for the first time I'm thinking of trying co op (something that I only wanted to do on my second playthrough) simply because I just can't progress far enough.

ANY TIPS ON CORUS ENEMIES guys?

I cannot wait to see the boss of this world and how many adds it throws at me...

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
First reroll and I was 5 bosses in before I came across a repeat boss that I faced during my first playthrough. How many bosses this game have?!

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ Corgus, AKA the Swamp planet...

What were you thinking devs?

Elites everywhere, they regenerate health when taken down, and one of then summon regular enemies...

And the worst is that my guns barely do damage unless I hit their weak spots which isn't easy on consoles.

I'm running with a lvl. 10 hunting rifle and a lvl. 3 Defiler and I can't do enough damage.

I'm playing solo but for the first time I'm thinking of trying co op (something that I only wanted to do on my second playthrough) simply because I just can't progress far enough.

ANY TIPS ON CORUS ENEMIES guys?

I cannot wait to see the boss of this world and how many adds it throws at me...

You have to really take your time clearing areas and work out which enemies to prioritize.

Don't go running around blind corners because of the winged enemies that just stand there sleeping. Also, watch out for the elites with hammers. They can throw them.

Watch your feet, use your mods, and remember that you have a neutral dodge.

Complaining about boss adds is particularly funny in this case.