• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So I'm hungry for a new game, thinking about picking this up.

Heard there are balancing problems playing solo and its just too difficult and not fun... any truth to this?

I will only be playing solo.
Played through the whole game solo and never took longer than 5-10min for any boss I encountered.
This was exclusively solo on normal difficulty.
If you're a halfway decent player, you'll have no problem with the game. It gives you lots of tools for situations

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Heard there are balancing problems playing solo and its just too difficult and not fun... any truth to this?

It's only "difficult" in the sense that you'll be dying a few times and learning from your mistakes, particularly during boss fights. For the most part, I played solo and enjoyed a large bulk of my time. I wouldn't ignore co-op either - even speaking as someone who also tends to stay away from anything multiplayer-related.

OP
OP
Queen Of Hunting
Jun 14, 2019
still sticking to my point most people struggling arent playing aggresive enough and playing more like dark souls/bloodborne of be more catuious.

i found on certain fights like gorefist and shroud and others if you hold back and dont push you will get overwhelmed and completey fucked.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Played through the whole game solo and never took longer than 5-10min for any boss I encountered.
This was exclusively solo on normal difficulty.
If you're a halfway decent player, you'll have no problem with the game. It gives you lots of tools for situations
It's only "difficult" in the sense that you'll be dying a few times and learning from your mistakes, particularly during boss fights. For the most part, I played solo and enjoyed a large bulk of my time. I wouldn't ignore co-op either - even speaking as someone who also tends to stay away from anything multiplayer-related.

Sounds good and reasonable, thanks guys.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
still sticking to my point most people struggling arent playing aggresive enough and playing more like dark souls/bloodborne of be more catuious.

i found on certain fights like gorefist and shroud and others if you hold back and dont push you will get overwhelmed and completey fucked.
Yeah, I'm on Gorefist now and while I haven't beat him yet, I don't fully get the hubbub. Only like 3 adds spawn max and they're really easy to see and hear coming and one-shot from a distance. If you're playing it like a Dark Souls boss where you're staring up Gorefist's nostrils with no situational awareness, you'll get wrecked, but if you're moving around, covering your flanks, keeping an eye out, and using the environment to your advantage, they're totally manageable. Plus the dodge roll in this game is really good, and you can dodge right through the explosions without getting hurt. I'm having more difficulty managing Gorefist's hyper-aggressiveness than the adds in that fight, honestly.

(this isn't to shame anyone who has trouble or get all "git gud" at it, I just feel like the difficulty of this fight is a bit overstated. Just gotta adjust your strategy)

Also, tragic, just wanted to say I really appreciate how active you've been in here and on Reddit. I'm sure it's a lot of work, especially while you're still working on the game, but I really appreciate it. A big part of what sold me on the game, after hearing all the positive word-of-mouth, was how active communication from the dev team is.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Is the only way to re-fight bosses to play in other people's worlds? No way for an offline player to fight both Singe and Ent in one playthrough?

SvennusDemonicus

alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Those round scrotum looking things that blow up and give you rot are the worst when it comes to the boss with the big sword. Any tactics?

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Those round scrotum looking things that blow up and give you rot are the worst when it comes to the boss with the big sword. Any tactics?
I've been using the hunting rifle to take them out. They make a whiny kettle sound when they're charging you, so when you hear that, swing around and shoot them. One shot should take them out. You can also roll right through them exploding without taking damage if you're feeling frisky.

e: Also, if you go up to the second floor there's less places for them to come from, though it makes it harder to avoid Gorefist's attacks because it's a tighter space, so it's a trade-off.

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Yeah, I'm on Gorefist now and while I haven't beat him yet, I don't fully get the hubbub. Only like 3 adds spawn max and they're really easy to see and hear coming and one-shot from a distance. If you're playing it like a Dark Souls boss where you're staring up Gorefist's nostrils with no situational awareness, you'll get wrecked, but if you're moving around, covering your flanks, keeping an eye out, and using the environment to your advantage, they're totally manageable. Plus the dodge roll in this game is really good, and you can dodge right through the explosions without getting hurt. I'm having more difficulty managing Gorefist's hyper-aggressiveness than the adds in that fight, honestly.

(this isn't to shame anyone who has trouble or get all "git gud" at it, I just feel like the difficulty of this fight is a bit overstated. Just gotta adjust your strategy)

Also, tragic, just wanted to say I really appreciate how active you've been in here and on Reddit. I'm sure it's a lot of work, especially while you're still working on the game, but I really appreciate it. A big part of what sold me on the game, after hearing all the positive word-of-mouth, was how active communication from the dev team is.
Count yourself lucky. I generally get five of the sack bastards at once, and they always seem to spawn when I'm reloading.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Count yourself lucky. I generally get five of the sack bastards at once, and they always seem to spawn when I'm reloading.
You can dodge while reloading, which helps a lot. I don't think the game ever surfaces that you reloading continues while doing stuff, though, which it could probably stand to since it seems like a big part of the combat's flow.

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
You can dodge while reloading, which helps a lot. I don't think the game ever surfaces that you reloading continues while doing stuff, though, which it could probably stand to since it seems like a big part of the combat's flow.
Oh I do, but inevitably get backed into a corner and 'sploded to death.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Pro tip for Gorefist. If you kill the adds first they dont spawn until the boss screams.

Also jump forward and not backwards against blows

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018

I feel like most people are trying to be close to the enemies as if they had a sword or any other melee weapon. And keep forgetting that guns have range and that the adds can die easily especially the explosive ones. People are also supposed to move around cause the Gorefist fight has a lot of elavation and different parts to make distance between you and the boss.

Also a bit of grinding for trait points is a good idea.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017

I think I'm at the last boss. So far I've been playing solo and I think I've struggled only with a couple of bosses for different reasons. It's true that adds in boss fights can be annoying, but I've always found ways to avoid being overwhelmed. It will depend on your weapons, mods you choose and playstyle. I suggest going through the campaign on Normal first. I'm glad I did that and I'm having a blast.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Loving the game. Just want to say that. Just got to the 3rd world last night after beating The
Undying King
. So far he took about 6 tries to down. All the bosses have seemed fair, like in a FROM SOFTWARE game where once you figure out a few little things about the timings/adds/boss attacks, it gets easier to figure out the proper strategy to go forward. Can't wait for more from the dev for content on this game. I can see a few fun play thru's with different builds.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Huh. I've fought that boss a ton and never saw him summon 6 of those "turrets" at a time. Only always in pairs. If you ignore the ones that are up, then he will continue summoning more over time, however.
Yeah...sorry if that was misleading. Definitely in pairs but with my shoddy aim I can't take them out, so I have to dodge out of the way of everything else flying at me, and so he spawns more and so on. I was having issues with Ixillis at first too but I didn't play for a day and then I took him out just fine. *shrug*

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017
tragic is it intended that the Root Horror only ever spawns once, win or lose? Because having a boss silently pop behind your back and despawning if you don't kill it, requiring to re-roll the world and luck out into the dungeon being there for another go at it is really disappointing.

Oct 27, 2017
If you get Root Rot use the potion that clears it (put it on a hot key/button for this fight), this playspace is pretty big (tons of cover as well to quickly use for health/inflicted potions) so there is plenty of room to put between yourself and the boss if needed. Use the Swarm mod on a weapon if you have it and utilize the roll mechanic. I've never died in probably 10 or so encounters with this boss by means of solo play or joining other player's games for co-op. Try putting some distance between you and the boss especially after your very first interaction with him and use all the columns/pillars and other stuff in the rooms to slow him down, unload on him, rinse and repeat until he's dead.

The game is great solo, but if you find it a bit tough there are ways to mitigate around that such as focusing on grinding a bit by upgrading your current available gear and traits (you're going to do this a lot anyways once you get a lot of traits as this is a big part of what this game is about...collect/acquire gear/traits and upgrade them to make the content feel differently/easier gameplay wise). A few bosses here or there will give you more trouble than others (this won't be the same for everyone though as folks seemingly find different bosses harder than others do and vice-versa) which while you said "only solo" you could make your game public just for a single boss encounter to see if you can get past it with co-op play and then return to solo play and continue to progress.

Last edited:

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
tragic is it intended that the Root Horror only ever spawns once, win or lose? Because having a boss silently pop behind your back and despawning if you don't kill it, requiring to re-roll the world and luck out into the dungeon being there for another go at it is really disappointing.

It despawns at 50% health. Return to the merchant where you found that key item that opened the vault.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the boss of the desert world (Undying King) and went through the portal to some swamp planet. I definitely wasn't supposed to be there yet! Even the grunts took at least 4 shots with my rifle and I was constantly running out of ammo. Managed to make it to the first boss (some blacksmith looking guy) but he just stomped me. I was about ready to just stop playing, but decided to check out the Labyrinth for other possible paths. Glad I did, because there was another jungle planet that seems much more reasonable.

Is there a good place to farm Lumenite Crystals at this point in the game? I have two Simulacrums and the Ruin rifle that I want to upgrade, but the crystals just trickle in playing normally.

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the boss of the desert world (Undying King) and went through the portal to some swamp planet. I definitely wasn't supposed to be there yet! Even the grunts took at least 4 shots with my rifle and I was constantly running out of ammo. Managed to make it to the first boss (some blacksmith looking guy) but he just stomped me. I was about ready to just stop playing, but decided to check out the Labyrinth for other possible paths. Glad I did, because there was another jungle planet that seems much more reasonable.

Is there a good place to farm Lumenite Crystals at this point in the game? I have two Simulacrums and the Ruin rifle that I want to upgrade, but the crystals just trickle in playing normally.
Joining a co-op session usually garners more upgrading mats, also talk to Ace as she sells them sometimes.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

The swamp planet is also entirely optional. For everyone who chooses to help the Undying KIng, it will be your third world to visit.
For people who don't help him you can use the key to immediately go to the fourth world and just finish the game.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017

How are people defeating Undying King before going to Corsus? When I reached Undying King I was too underleveled to defeat him. So I went to Corsus and had no problem clearing the world. I got back to Undying King and I was just at the right level. Maybe it's the way my campaigne was generated?

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The swamp planet is also entirely optional. For everyone who chooses to help the Undying KIng, it will be your third world to visit.
For people who don't help him you can use the key to immediately go to the fourth world and just finish the game.

Which is the fourth world? I went to the Avatar-looking jungle planet just now.

How are people defeating Undying King before going to Corsus? When I reached Undying King I was too underleveled to defeat him. So I went to Corsus and had no problem clearing the world. I got back to Undying King and I was just at the right level. Maybe it's the way my campaigned was generated?

He wiped the floor with me a few times when I tried to fight him alone. I opened up my game and got help from two others.

Then again, I did reroll my campaign once after finishing Earth and I'm Trait Level 75 or so.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
First world is Earth, obviously. Second is the desert world, Rhom. Third is the swamp world, Crosus (Corsus?). Fourth and currently final world is the beautiful garden world of Yaesha.

No, it also despawns if you die. But in that instance it never returns.

If you die in the vault? Yeah, I thankfully didn't die there. Pretty shitty. I don't think you get much for killing it though. XP and some crystals maybe?
If you die in the real fight, you can just walk back into the fog gate that now guards the old merchant's nook and re-attempt the fight.

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017
If you die in the vault? Yeah, I thankfully didn't die there. Pretty shitty. I don't think you get much for killing it though. XP and some crystals maybe?
If you die in the real fight, you can just walk back into the fog gate that now guards the old merchant's nook and re-attempt the fight.
You get the -melee damage % trait though, which is fairly nice.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Sounds good! Love the boss' mechanics. Mentioned it earlier, but it kind of reminds me of a simpler version of a Destiny-style raid boss.
And that's a compliment! Destiny raids have some of the best boss battles I've ever experienced in a shooter of any kind!

While I have you on the line (so to speak), any progress on the extremely common public game matchmaking error that spits out an "Already in Session" notice? It's... very, very annoying.

Yeah, the breakout requirement was a bit too high and players were missing it by 1-2% dmg. So what we decided to do was give the boss double HP, open the "broken open" phase longer, and ensure you had a full 30 seconds to break the boss out (instead of a variance which also caused issues). So while you have to deal way more dmg to the boss once broken open, it's much easier to break it out and get to the "fun big numbers" phase. It's just less tedious all around. This fix should be in the next patch!

30 hours in....all Solo. The particle accelerator is is pretty gnarly and was a big help for the boss on Corsus......but that crossbow... whew. That thing is something else.

I've hit a wall at the Undying King though. My aim is just a touch off when using the crossbow so I miss at least half my shots, sometimes only two orbs spawn, sometimes he summons 6. I'll get him eventually, but I'd rather not have to grind a whole bunch. It could be that I just need a break. The Rattle weed mod is such a help in that fight to give some breathing room...I just don't have enough health/defense if he gets in close.

Summoning 6 is VERY weird. This shouldn't happen. I'll make a note!

Rattle Weed mod is OP as hell if stacked in co op. Wow.

Very strong, agreed!

Man, seeing some of the "i quit" or "this game sucks" posts in here makes me sad.

Same!

We just want to let players know that we heard them - that we are listening. We may not always agree, but it doesn't mean we don't want to hear feedback. We definitely want the feedback.

I think this was answered above, but it is intended (appears somewhere else!).

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I know what my problem with the loot was, I was expecting armor and weapons to drop right out of the dead bosses bodies. I didn't connect that you basically just get to craft them at the base.

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017
I think this was answered above, but it is intended (appears somewhere else!).
No no, I mean if you die in the area where the root horror spawns (the vault), on returning the adds will be present but the horror itself is gone. It didn't leave to the merchant, it's just straight up gone and the reward is now impossible to acquire tragic . I've seen other people report the same issue.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
could you answer this one for me tragic ?

Currently, no. Eventually, I hope so!

No no, I mean if you die in the area where the root horror spawns (the vault), on returning the adds will be present but the horror itself is gone. It didn't leave to the merchant, it's just straight up gone and the reward is now impossible to acquire tragic . I've seen other people report the same issue.

Interesting. OK, I'll see if the designer in charge of that can take a look on Monday!

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the breakout requirement was a bit too high and players were missing it by 1-2% dmg. So what we decided to do was give the boss double HP, open the "broken open" phase longer, and ensure you had a full 30 seconds to break the boss out (instead of a variance which also caused issues). So while you have to deal way more dmg to the boss once broken open, it's much easier to break it out and get to the "fun big numbers" phase. It's just less tedious all around. This fix should be in the next patch!

Definitely looking forward to the reworked boss. Especially since I got robbed out of my trait and weapon material!
And FWIW, the person that mentioned the 6 Undying "turrets" later clarified that he/she couldn't get the first two down before the boss spawned three and four, and then five and six, etc.

You get the -melee damage % trait though, which is fairly nice.

Hmmm, I don't remember getting that. Do you remember what it's called, by any chance?
Nevermind. Looked it up and the name is familiar. I must have gotten it there. Yeah, sucks hard if that boss is glitched if you die to it at the vault. My bad.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Definitely looking forward to the reworked boss. Especially since I got robbed out of my trait and weapon material!
And FWIW, the person that mentioned the 6 Undying "turrets" later clarified that he/she couldn't get the first two down before the boss spawned three and four, and then five and six, etc.

Ahhh. That makes sense. Still... pretty rough!

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh Mangler. Is there a way to beat this guy without Chicago Typewriter?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh Mangler. Is there a way to beat this guy without Chicago Typewriter?

Kind of depends on what modifier you get with the fight. Enchanter is a bit of a bitch, IMO.
Focus on taking out the adds rapidly (a hard-hitting shotty or hand cannon work here), and try to stick near walls and obstacles.
Why? If the Tumbleweed rolls into a wall he gets stunned for a decent amount of time. This is a great time to either mop up any remaining adds, or, preferably, focus DPS on him. If you have something that can reliably proc burn on him (say, the Smolder sword or perhaps the Singe's SMG), this is also the perfect time to do so.
Also keep in mind that you can start a weapon reload and then roll to dodge the stabby bastards. Your character will continue reloading through the roll and be ready to fire by the time you've recovered from it (usually, depends on the weapon and the state of your reload speed Trait if you have it).

Edit - And I definitely don't have the Chicago Typewriter. What a weird name for a weapon. lol
If you're looking for a high rate of fire weapon, you can get the SMG right in Ward-13 pretty much from the start of the game! (Just need to exit the Ward once via the giant crystal and find the Ward-13 keycard in the Founder's Office at the very beginning of the Earth biome. I'm pretty sure you ALWAYS exit Ward-13 into the Founder's Office, so the keycard should be unmissable. With that in hand, you can explore most of the lower levels of Ward-13 (beyond and below where you ignited the reactor to restore power to the Ward). There's a bit of an environmental puzzle to solve to get the SMG, but it isn't tough. No combat involved at all.

Last edited:

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Summoning 6 is VERY weird. This shouldn't happen. I'll make a note!
Sorry...my post was misleading. He'll only spawn two, but I was having aiming issues with the crossbow and he'd spawn two more. Then two more because I would need to dodge roll or heal or kill the Vyr that spawn.

Not a bug, I just suck 😂

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Still stuck on Gorefist. Tried everyone's tips...nope. This shit is making me feel like a dumb kid just starting out with video games, despite being nearly 40 and playing games my whole life. Hell, as for Souls stuff, I've beaten them all 100% solo. And I can't do co-op in this one because I don't have Plus and really can't afford it right now (buying the game itself was my big splurge for the next few months).

Arg.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Still stuck on Gorefist. Tried everyone's tips...nope. This shit is making me feel like a dumb kid just starting out with video games, despite being nearly 40 and playing games my whole life. Hell, as for Souls stuff, I've beaten them all 100% solo. And I can't do co-op in this one because I don't have Plus and really can't afford it right now (buying the game itself was my big splurge for the next few months).

Arg.

FWIW, I'm 40-going-on-41, 100%'ed all of the Darks Souls (the first two twice on PS3 and PS4), and other similar titles both made by From or by other companies, and I agree with you that Gorefist, as a first boss, can be a real motherfucker. Does he have a modifier (Hearty, Vicious, Enchanter, Regenerator, etc? It'd show right next to his name and above his life bar).

What weapons and armor are you using? Have you invested Scrap and Iron to leveling them up at all? What are you dying to most? (It's the exploding nut sacks, isn't it)?

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
FWIW, I'm 40-going-on-41, 100%'ed all of the Darks Souls (the first two twice on PS3 and PS4), and other similar titles both made by From or by other companies, and I agree with you that Gorefist, as a first boss, can be a real motherfucker. Does he have a modifier (Hearty, Vicious, Enchanter, Regenerator, etc? It'd show right next to his name and above his life bar).

What weapons and armor are you using? Have you invested Scrap and Iron to leveling them up at all? What are you dying to most? (It's the exploding nut sacks, isn't it)?
Yep, the sacks. They basically teleport in, usually in large packs, so no matter which direction I roll I end up hit by at least one. Then usually Gorefist catches up to me and swipes me, boom, dead. Using the environment does jack shit to slow him down. The sacks come out of nowhere (I'm not getting a sound cue?) so avoiding them is next to impossible.

I have the Drifter gear set, and I have all the starting long guns, the repeater pistol, and the submachine gun. I have the shotgun upgraded the most. I have zero scrap--blew what little I had left buying bandages to stop Gorefist's bleeding effect from his sword.

Oh, and he has the Regenerator mod but that's not really an issue (for me).

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying my time with this so far, but really feel like it hasn't "clicked" for me in a way that it seems to have for everyone else. I'm in the second world now, and while I enjoy the exploration phases for the most part - my problem comes from how every boss room seems to just be either an 'overwhelm with adds'-arena style setup or a 'deal damage while avoiding exploding dudes' and it sucks the fun out of the entire experience. I've been able to persevere so far, but it hasn't felt like I've "learned" the fight, moreso that I got lucky with adds and just dumped a ton of damage into them as quickly as possible.

In general, I wish the enemies behaved with more thought that just bum rushing you. I've only ever seen a few enemies attempt to take cover, while most just kind of keep pushing to get a line on you. It makes the exploration phase a little mindless (if fun in the sense of mowing through lots of enemies) and turns some of the dungeons sections into "where can I funnel these 20 adds into" - which again, is fine sometimes, but kind of gets a little exhausting.

Also, kind of annoyed with how traits keep getting added to the character build. It's a neat idea, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. I've already dumped 10+ points into a couple of the core skills - and some of the new traits seem interesting, but not worth dumping the next 5-6 points to see any benefit from when I can get a better return on the core skills I've been working on. Is there some sort of re-spec option available somewhere?

Finally, is the melee based class just kind of screwed further into the game? I picked that role as most everything seems to rush you and it felt like having a good shotgun/hammer was a good way to lean into this. But now that I'm into the second world, it seems a lot less viable to play that close up game even though everything _still_ rushes you. More enemies leave behind AoE explosions after being killed and their attacks are quicker than the hammer animations play out - even with the stuns. I switched up to the beam rifle I just got and feel already like I'm managing the adds a lot better by just nuking them from afar - but since I've already dumped 10+ points into melee damage feels like I've gimped myself.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever is doing damage has to down 10% of the boss's health for the weakpoint to show up after the 2nd or 3rd meteor wave i dont remember exactly

if you dont your dmg buff will be reset and you gotta try again
Again... we knew this. We did nothing different that would suddenly make it start working when it didn't work for an entire hour previous.

Weapons used were at +15. Trait levels over 120. Tried snipers, SMGs, the AR, particle rifle, even shotguns, etc. Used the damage buff mod Song of Swords. Used frenzy dust. Had stacks at 10+ for many attempts.

Neither my friend nor I had it pop open for us even once.

Restart, tried again. Suddenly it's revealing its weak spot to us, BOTH of us, every single time without any other changes, and with fewer stacks than we were attempting at prior. You would think that if it was just a matter of not doing enough damage, that it would have popped at LEAST once in the near hour of attempts between two people. Not to mention that the attempt in which it finally started showing its weak spot to us is the attempt where we beat it is also pretty telling that we knew what we were doing.

Not to mention others have reported the same:

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, the sacks. They basically teleport in, usually in large packs, so no matter which direction I roll I end up hit by at least one. Then usually Gorefist catches up to me and swipes me, boom, dead. Using the environment does jack shit to slow him down. The sacks come out of nowhere (I'm not getting a sound cue?) so avoiding them is next to impossible.

I have the Drifter gear set, and I have all the starting long guns, the repeater pistol, and the submachine gun. I have the shotgun upgraded the most. I have zero scrap--blew what little I had left buying bandages to stop Gorefist's bleeding effect from his sword.

Oh, and he has the Regenerator mod but that's not really an issue (for me).

The Regenerator modifier simply extends the fight, which CAN be an issue. But it's definitely not the worst modifier for that fight. Agreed.
If you need more Scrap and Iron, don't be afraid to hit up some jolly co-op. You'll get tons by helping out others via joining public games.
You may even wind up with better weapons, more traits, definitely more trait levels, etc.

The exploding nut sacks have some very obvious audio cues, so you may want to fiddle with the in-game volume sliders if that's an issue.
If you can reliably one- or two-shot the nutsacks with one of your two weapons, that's definitely the best way to go. If not, use the audio cues to time your dodges, and try to avoid using the camera to line them up. You'll probably need a decent surround sound set up for this. (Unlike a game like Destiny, I find the situational virtual 3D audio when using a headset with Remnant to be fairly unreliable for pinpointing their position using only audio cues. Destiny is excellent. Don't know what witchery they use).

There's a couple of different strats depending on your loadout, capacity to quickly eliminate the nutsacks, and your overall situational awareness.
Decent surround sound system? Try to dodge away from the explosions? Stuck with a headset or stereo sound? Try to level up one of your weapons so they can nuke the sacks with one or two shots.

If you're playing solo, you MAY find it easier to fight up on the catwalk above the main arena. There'll be less room to avoid Gorefist (but you should be using your roll's i-frames to negate his attacks anyway, not actually trying to physically avoid them), but the nutsacks can only approach from two directions, which makes managing them (and chain-exploding them) much easier. And speaking of Gorefist, I have the most success actually rolling INTO his attacks, not away from them. ESPECIALLY for his running/charging swing. His swing combo can be trickier.

I feel like if you can get this down, you'll be well-prepared to learn most of the rest of the bosses. It's definitely a bit of a difficulty spike, because the game is basically throwing you into the deep end of the boss pool and demanding that you learn how to swim without any real lead-up or practice. (I still think a Mangerl fight with no modifiers should be a guaranteed first boss for all fresh, new runs. It's more forgiving and does at least a good a job of teaching you how to manage adds and focus DPS when the opportunity avails itself. But maybe that's just me).

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
The Regenerator modifier simply extends the fight, which CAN be an issue. But it's definitely not the worst modifier for that fight. Agreed.
If you need more Scrap and Iron, don't be afraid to hit up some jolly co-op. You'll get tons by helping out others via joining public games.
You may even wind up with better weapons, more traits, definitely more trait levels, etc.

The exploding nut sacks have some very obvious audio cues, so you may want to fiddle with the in-game volume sliders if that's an issue.
If you can reliably one- or two-shot the nutsacks with one of your two weapons, that's definitely the best way to go. If not, use the audio cues to time your dodges, and try to avoid using the camera to line them up. You'll probably need a decent surround sound set up for this. (Unlike a game like Destiny, I find the situational virtual 3D audio when using a headset with Remnant to be fairly unreliable for pinpointing their position using only audio cues. Destiny is excellent. Don't know what witchery they use).

There's a couple of different strats depending on your loadout, capacity to quickly eliminate the nutsacks, and your overall situational awareness.
Decent surround sound system? Try to dodge away from the explosions? Stuck with a headset or stereo sound? Try to level up one of your weapons so they can nuke the sacks with one or two shots.

If you're playing solo, you MAY find it easier to fight up on the catwalk above the main arena. There'll be less room to avoid Gorefist (but you should be using your roll's i-frames to negate his attacks anyway, not actually trying to physically avoid them), but the nutsacks can only approach from two directions, which makes managing them (and chain-exploding them) much easier. And speaking of Gorefist, I have the most success actually rolling INTO his attacks, not away from them. ESPECIALLY for his running/charging swing. His swing combo can be trickier.

I feel like if you can get this down, you'll be well-prepared to learn most of the rest of the bosses. It's definitely a bit of a difficulty spike, because the game is basically throwing you into the deep end of the boss pool and demanding that you learn how to swim without any real lead-up or practice. (I still think a Mangerl fight with no modifiers should be a guaranteed first boss for all fresh, new runs. It's more forgiving and does at least a good a job of teaching you how to manage adds and focus DPS when the opportunity avails itself. But maybe that's just me).
Definitely doing everything you've suggested. I think I'm just not cut out for this game.

As I said above I can't co-op, I don't have Plus and can't afford it right now.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying my time with this so far, but really feel like it hasn't "clicked" for me in a way that it seems to have for everyone else. I'm in the second world now, and while I enjoy the exploration phases for the most part - my problem comes from how every boss room seems to just be either an 'overwhelm with adds'-arena style setup or a 'deal damage while avoiding exploding dudes' and it sucks the fun out of the entire experience. I've been able to persevere so far, but it hasn't felt like I've "learned" the fight, moreso that I got lucky with adds and just dumped a ton of damage into them as quickly as possible.

There are a couple of stand-out (IMO) fights that are very well designed and aren't total add-fests, but adds are a major component of the game's boss battles and the devs have made it clear that this isn't really going to change. They know the game isn't for everyone. And I know that doesn't really help you at all. Just stating it in case you haven't been following the devs' comments both in this thread and on Reddit.

In general, I wish the enemies behaved with more thought that just bum rushing you. I've only ever seen a few enemies attempt to take cover, while most just kind of keep pushing to get a line on you. It makes the exploration phase a little mindless (if fun in the sense of mowing through lots of enemies) and turns some of the dungeons sections into "where can I funnel these 20 adds into" - which again, is fine sometimes, but kind of gets a little exhausting.

I'm not sure how fare you in the game, but pretty much the entirety of the Earth biome is a bit one-note. Enemy (and biome) variety expand as you progress further into the game. Encounters definitely get more interesting and more challenging.

Also, kind of annoyed with how traits keep getting added to the character build. It's a neat idea, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. I've already dumped 10+ points into a couple of the core skills - and some of the new traits seem interesting, but not worth dumping the next 5-6 points to see any benefit from when I can get a better return on the core skills I've been working on. Is there some sort of re-spec option available somewhere?

Traits are the primary driver for leveling up your character, other than crafting upgrades to your weapons and armors, of course. Traits top out at 20, and going by the trophy list, there are at least 30 of them, so that's a total of at least 600 level ups. Under Ward-13, very early into the game, you can find a Trait called (I think) Elder Knowledge that I beelined to 20. It grants a fairly significant boost to your XP gains and REALLY starts making a difference pretty quickly. There's also a ring (Sagestone, I think) that grants another 15% boost to your XP gains. The ring, like most loot, is RNG, though. Some traits are obviously more powerful than others. But get that Elder Knowledge trait ASAP (as I said, it's available to everyone essentially from the beginning of the game, regardless of your campaign roll. So is the SMG, a pretty handy weapon to have in certain situations. Both are found more or less together).

Finally, is the melee based class just kind of screwed further into the game? I picked that role as most everything seems to rush you and it felt like having a good shotgun/hammer was a good way to lean into this. But now that I'm into the second world, it seems a lot less viable to play that close up game even though everything _still_ rushes you. More enemies leave behind AoE explosions after being killed and their attacks are quicker than the hammer animations play out - even with the stuns. I switched up to the beam rifle I just got and feel already like I'm managing the adds a lot better by just nuking them from afar - but since I've already dumped 10+ points into melee damage feels like I've gimped myself.

The game's primarily a third-person shooter, so melee does feel like a bit of an afterthought. Shotties are great, but I really only use melee to finish off very weak and nearby enemies to save on ammo. I don't actually go toe-to-toe against enemies, trading melee blows. That's a recipe for disaster. That said, I feel like the choice of starting class you make at the beginning of the game doesn't make much of a difference in the long-run. The starting vendors will sell you the weapons and armors of whatever classes you didn't get (and they aren't too expensive). And the Traits the other classes start with I believe are scattered throughout Earth in various dungeons. Though they may be dungeons your world doesn't roll with.

Again, co-op is a great way to experience other Earth biome variants and hopefully pick up the other starting Traits (I went with the class that starts with the healing aura Trait. Saved my ass a bunch). With at least 600 levels to gain (and with XP-boosting Traits and gear equipped), you'll easily gain dozens upon dozens of levels just by joining public games. At Tratit Level 250, I'm actually starting to run out of what I consider particularly useful Traits (which are at level 20), and I've started investing points into what I consider lesser Traits.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regenerator mod is really just bullshit with how easy it is to get spammed for long periods of time by adds that spawn in inconvenient locations.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Again... we knew this. We did nothing different that would suddenly make it start working when it didn't work for an entire hour previous.

Weapons used were at +15. Trait levels over 120. Tried snipers, SMGs, the AR, particle rifle, even shotguns, etc. Used the damage buff mod Song of Swords. Used frenzy dust. Had stacks at 10+ for many attempts.

Neither my friend nor I had it pop open for us even once.

Restart, tried again. Suddenly it's revealing its weak spot to us, BOTH of us, every single time without any other changes, and with fewer stacks than we were attempting at prior. You would think that if it was just a matter of not doing enough damage, that it would have popped at LEAST once in the near hour of attempts between two people. Not to mention that the attempt in which it finally started showing its weak spot to us is the attempt where we beat it is also pretty telling that we knew what we were doing.

Not to mention others have reported the same:

In the next patch (I don't think we have an ETA), Dreamer/Nightmare is getting heavily tweaked. The devs have explained further up (and/or on the last page) exactly what changes are being made. But the tldr is that while Nightmare's health is being doubled, the current window to stagger the boss and open up his chest (which ranges from 15 to 30 seconds with no obvious tell) is being fixed at either 30 or 32 seconds (not sure). Also, you currently NEED to do 10% of the boss' overall health to perform that stagger (which is extremely difficult if you get unlucky enough to be closer to the 15 second window than the 30 second window) is being changed to 3.5% (which at double health, comes out to 7%, less than the 10% currently required). So basically, we'll have at least half a minute to stagger him and we'll need to do less damage overall to proc the stagger. Currently, there's too much RNG in proccing the stagger, so this is being remedied in the next patch. He'll have more health overall, but you'll be able to see stupid high damage numbers way more often (and way more easily) as soon as the new patch rolls out.