• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Now I see what a lot of folks are complaining about regarding boss adds... Yeesh. Gorefist would be a fun challenge if not for the exploding sack dudes constantly ganging up on me. Getting stuck in a corner with Gorefist charging me and four 'slpody fellas rushing in...not cool.

Gorefist made me request a refund from Steam. He was the last straw for me. Fuck those exploding dudes.

I played another boss on a random game I joined and it was equally fucking annoying. Not to mention that I haven't had a single person join my game in the two hours I played it, which makes it feel impossible to progress through my own campaign in an enjoyable way. The game is no fun solo either, especially when the game decides to spawn some super strong enemy right behind me when I'm fighting another group of enemies and I have nobody to help with crowd control.

I was having a good amount of fun playing co-op, but when I join random games I either get matched up with players that are way farther into the game than I am or people keep kicking me out their game because I'm not as strong as they are. Nobody joins my own game so I feel screwed either way.

I know most will probably tell me to spend more time with the game grinding and improving my character, but I was hoping this game was going to be a great online co-op game, like Destiny meets Dark Souls, but it really isn't. The co-op feels like an afterthought to me since there's little in terms of features to matchmake you with other players. If you have friends then you're golden but if you're like me looking to be matched with other players then you're going to have a rough time with this game.

I guess I'm just spoiled by The Division 2, where the game seems to go out of its way to make sure you're matched up with other players and having fun.

The game kinda sucks. Hopefully my refund goes through.

Last edited:

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the third world now and I still have the starter weapons and armor. This does not feel right.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Nah. No hipfire (with a shotgun no less) and no cancel windows and a pitiful recovery on a dodge combined with slow-ass walkspeed makes this a 100% by definition "clunky".

There are cancel windows all over the place. There are also earlier AIM cancel windows before both the dodge and move windows (try neutral dodge over and over, then hold AIM And neutral dodge over and over, etc).

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's the toughest boss battle in the game especially if playing solo.

I disagree, it's not that hard solo if you have the right mods and know when to focus on each of the bosses.

Best boss fight in the game IMO.

Edit: The key for me was using Hot Shot on the hunting rifle and stopping them both from doing their big charge up attacks.

Last edited:

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Gorefist made me request a refund from Steam. He was the last straw for me. Fuck those exploding dudes.

I played another boss on a random game I joined and it was equally fucking annoying. Not to mention that I haven't had a single person join my game in the two hours I played it, which makes it feel impossible to progress through my own campaign in an enjoyable way. The game is no fun solo either, especially when the game decides to spawn some super strong enemy right behind me when I'm fighting another group of enemies and I have nobody to help with crowd control.

I was having a good amount of fun playing co-op, but when I join random games I either get matched up with players that are way farther into the game than I am or people keep kicking me out their game because I'm not as strong as they are. Nobody joins my own game so I feel screwed either way.

I know most will probably tell me to spend more time with the game grinding and improving my character, but I was hoping this game was going to be a great online co-op game, like Destiny meets Dark Souls, but it really isn't. The co-op feels like an afterthought to me since there's little in terms of features to matchmake you with other players. If you have friends then you're golden but if you're like me looking to be matched with other players then you're going to have a rough time with this game.

I guess I'm just spoiled by The Division 2, where the game seems to go out of its way to make sure you're matched up with other players and having fun.

The game kinda sucks. Hopefully my refund goes through.

Hope you come back when have more stuff for you to do and the coop is a little more friendly. =)

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. Can you not get the last boss' crafting material if you're helping out another player in coop?
Just finished off it off, got the ending, one trait level up, and nothing else...

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone should get it.

I don't know if the host did (no mic), but I sure didn't. First time beating it too (I've chanced into other fights where we just failed to take it out).
Saw the boss die, didn't see the usual pop-up for a post-boss loot drop. Segued straight into the ending (which we saw), and then the credits (which the host skipped). We wound up back and Ward-13, and I noticed that other than the trait level up, I didn't get anything.
What a bummer. :(

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Did you get Mind's Eye?

If that's a trait, then no. I was looking through my inventory for the Dreamer's Mana (I think it's called).
Nothing new in my list of traits either, though.

Edit - FWIW, when the last boss went into its death animation (and I lost control of my character), I was in the process of getting scratched to death by a nearby mob. I was at or near full health when the boss died, but I saw my screen start to go red halfway through the death animation, then I figured Ruin's Undying perk procced, as the screen went back to normal, then towards the end, the screen started going red again (as I continued to get scratched by the baddie). Then the ending and credits. Then Ward-13 and disappointment. :/

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Still no Monkey Key thus no assault rifle but I did manage to get the Chicago Typewriter (saved both Liz'). The dream of running the Chicago Typewriter and the Beam Rifle in the same loadout instantly died though as I assumed the Chicago typewriter was in weapon slot #1 given that it was an SMG but alas it's in weapon slot #2. Gonna upgrade my Handling Trait to +20 and see if this thing will compete for weapon slot #2 with the Beam Rifle.

I disagree, it's not that hard solo if you have the right mods and know when to focus on each of the bosses.

Best boss fight in the game IMO.

Edit: The key for me was using Hot Shot on the hunting rifle and stopping them both from doing their big charge up attacks.
There's so much that can go wrong in that fight incredibly quickly even when you think you have everything under control, plenty of health and stamina, etc. I should have prefaced it with "for me" it was the toughest and I still feel that way as currently it's the only boss encounter in the game that remotely gives me any trouble.

Last edited:

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Did just finally get the non-tail cut normal Single kill in coop, so yay for that? Been chasing this kill for a while now.
This boss material dropped without issue.

Oct 27, 2017
Did just finally get the non-tail cut normal Single kill in coop, so yay for that? Been chasing this kill for a while now.
This boss material dropped without issue.
That fire-spitting SMG (fire-breathing alt) pretty much never leaves my weapon slot #1 although I do want to start using the Hunting Pistol (or whatever it's called...single round hand cannon that hits like a truck).

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
That fire-spitting SMG (fire-breathing alt) pretty much never leaves my weapon slot #1 although I do want to start using the Hunting Pistol (or whatever it's called...1 round hand cannon that hits like a truck).

I've got a lot of Singe kills under my belt (Ent in my world, though). But everyone always wants to go for the tail cut (and I can't blame them). Just got lucky tonight, I guess.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
If that's a trait, then no. I was looking through my inventory for the Dreamer's Mana (I think it's called).
Nothing new in my list of traits either, though.

Edit - FWIW, when the last boss went into its death animation (and I lost control of my character), I was in the process of getting scratched to death by a nearby mob. I was at or near full health when the boss died, but I saw my screen start to go red halfway through the death animation, then I figured Ruin's Undying perk procced, as the screen went back to normal, then towards the end, the screen started going red again (as I continued to get scratched by the baddie). Then the ending and credits. Then Ward-13 and disappointment. :/

Were you the host / downed when they died?

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Still no Monkey Key thus no assault rifle but I did manage to get the Chicago Typewriter (saved both Liz'). The dream of running the Chicago Typewriter and the Beam Rifle in the same loadout instantly died though as I assumed the Chicago typewriter was in weapon slot #1 given that it was an SMG but alas it's in weapon slot #2. Gonna upgrade my Handling Trait to +20 and see if this thing will compete for weapon slot #2 with the Beam Rifle.

There's so much that go wrong in that fight incredibly quickly even when you think you have everything under control, plenty of health and stamina, etc. I should have prefaced it with "for me" it was the toughest and I still feel that way as currently it's the only boss encounter in the game that remotely gives me any trouble.

Check out Pillar of Stone with the Typewriter.

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a lot of Singe kills under my belt (Ent in my world, though). But everyone always wants to go for the tail cut (and I can't blame them). Just got lucky tonight, I guess.
Just got a non-leg Ent kill (only the second time I've seen this boss a few minutes ago so I got what I think is a grenade launcher which sounds like one of the only true heavy-type weapons in the game (haven't tried it out yet).

Check out Pillar of Stone with the Typewriter.

Will do, thanks for the tip. Loving the game, can't wait to hear what's coming next content wise (I know it will be down the road a bit, obviously). I think you guys have hit it out of the park concerning having a strong foundation built for this game which includes really satisfying gameplay overall and a fun gameplay loop that feels rewarding.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I actually managed to get both Ent kills fairly early after the game came out, and had both unique weapons by the time I finally got him down in my own game. I thought the normal Ent kill nets us with a specialized shotgun...

Were you the host / downed when they died?

I was a co-op partner helping a host take down his final boss. As mentioned, I was very much alive when control is taken away from the player to show the final boss' death animation, but had at least one (possibly more) adds scratching or throwing projectiles at me while the death animation played. My screen began to pulse red part-way through this death cutscene, then I think my Ruin's Undying perk popped bringing me back up, then the screen eventually started to flash red again towards the end of the cutscene. Then the ending and credits played. Bummed out, because it took us a solid 15-20 minutes to finish up the fight. (We did get it in one go, though).

Last edited:

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to search this thread to see if it was answered but didn't see anything. Does THQ/THQN make money from this game? It seems right up my alley.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually managed to get both Ent kills fairly early after the game came out, and had both unique weapons by the time I finally got him down in my own game. I thought the normal Ent kill nets us with a specialized shotgun...
Yeah, after checking it out it's a single-shot shotgun with a grenade launcher-type alt fire under-barrel.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, after checking it out it's a single-shot shotgun with a grenade launcher-type alt fire under-barrel.

I never actually used mine. :/
I'm currently too attached to Defiler/Ruin/Smolder combo. Occasionally swapping Smolder out for something else when fighting Singe, and Defiler out for an SMG with the healing perk for when I really need some faster crowd control measures.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the first playthrough tonight. This came after my friend and I had probably spent about an hour trying to beat the final boss's final form.

After maybe a half hour of zero progress, we eventually looked up what we were supposed to do. We were doing exactly what every guide had said and still it was agonizingly slow.

Kept trying and trying. Felt like we were just hitting a wall. Then we found out it could be glitched.

Yup. The very final boss had glitched out on us. It never revealed its weak spot to us like it was supposed to. So, we restarted our games (supposedly a way to fix it) and tried again. Still glitched. Tried it one more time and somehow it worked that time.

Once it stopped glitching, it was a breeze! Beat it in one go.

Really fun game, just needs some bug fixes here and there. We'll be finishing up my playthrough maybe tomorrow. We were alternating between his world and my world to kind of get as many different areas/bosses as we could before re-rolling later on.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
tragic and KirbyKid, is anyone looking into the 100K scrap and 200K scrap trophies on PS4?
They appear to be glitched. I'm assuming they're cumulative since I got the 50K trophy at some point when I had around 14K-15K on me at the time.
That was LOOOOOOOONG ago and I even got my Scavenger trait (or whatever the one is that boosts Scrap gain) up to level 20, and neither have popped.
Looking at the trophy list on my PS4, I see that 0.0% of users have the 100K, 200K, and Platinum trophies. That's just impossible given how easy Scrap comes by and how long the game has been out.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure it's an actual glitch. I believe the person that gets teleported into the nether realm needs to build up DPS stacks by getting kills (10-13 recommended, regulars grant 1 stack, elites grant 3 stacks) before taking the portal back into the actual boss fight. That player then needs to focus fire and do enough damage while the DPS buff is still active to cause a stagger, exposing the Dreamer within the Nightmare. If the person with the buff doesn't do enough damage to cause that stagger, then yeah, the battle can become protracted. In my clear a little while ago (which sadly glitched in another way and failed to get me the trait or the boss material), we only managed the full stagger once. But still managed to eventually burn the boss down. Took like 6 or so nether realm phases, however.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Beat the first playthrough tonight. This came after my friend and I had probably spent about an hour trying to beat the final boss's final form.

After maybe a half hour of zero progress, we eventually looked up what we were supposed to do. We were doing exactly what every guide had said and still it was agonizingly slow.

Kept trying and trying. Felt like we were just hitting a wall. Then we found out it could be glitched.

Yup. The very final boss had glitched out on us. It never revealed its weak spot to us like it was supposed to. So, we restarted our games (supposedly a way to fix it) and tried again. Still glitched. Tried it one more time and somehow it worked that time.

Really fun game, just needs some bug fixes here and there. We'll be finishing up my playthrough maybe tomorrow. We were alternating between his world and my world to kind of get as many different areas/bosses as we could before re-rolling later on.

There are a handful of additional adjustments coming for the final boss soon. Should make the breakout a bit easier and give more time for big-time DPS. Also less variance on the amount of time you get to break him out.

tragic and KirbyKid, is anyone looking into the 100K scrap and 200K scrap trophies on PS4?
They appear to be glitched. I'm assuming they're cumulative since I got the 50K trophy at some point when I had around 14K-15K on me at the time.
That was LOOOOOOOONG ago and I even got my Scavenger trait (or whatever the one is that boosts Scrap gain) up to level 20, and neither have popped.
Looking at the trophy list on my PS4, I see that 0.0% of users have the 100K, 200K, and Platinum trophies. That's just impossible given how easy Scrap comes by and how long the game has been out.

There seems to be a problem with achievements and achievement-based trait unlocks. We are looking into it. Anything that counts up to give a reward seems to have some sort of glitch happening (it's preventing Exploiter unlock, for example). Trying to get that fixed for the next patch.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
There seems to be a problem with achievements and achievement-based trait unlocks. We are looking into it. Anything that counts up to give a reward seems to have some sort of glitch happening (it's preventing Exploiter unlock, for example). Trying to get that fixed for the next patch.

Cheers! I hope you guys nail down the problem soon, and that the fix is retroactive!
Can you at least confirm if the Scrap trophies are supposed to be cumulative?
Thanks, as always!

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Not sure it's an actual glitch. I believe the person that gets teleported into the nether realm needs to build up DPS stacks by getting kills (10-13 recommended, regulars grant 1 stack, elites grant 3 stacks) before taking the portal back into the actual boss fight. That player then needs to focus fire and do enough damage while the DPS buff is still active to cause a stagger, exposing the Dreamer within the Nightmare. If the person with the buff doesn't do enough damage to cause that stagger, then yeah, the battle can become protracted. In my clear a little while ago (which sadly glitched in another way and failed to get me the trait or the boss material), we only managed the full stagger once. But still managed to eventually burn the boss down. Took like 6 or so nether realm phases, however.

This should be much more lenient soon. It has a variance of 15-30s time to breakout after coming out of the Nightmare Realm (this was removed). You also had to do 10% health. In the new version, he will have 2x the health, but you only need to do 3.5% to break him out (so equivalent of 7% before - 30% less). You also get 2s more DPS time during the breakout sequence.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Going through solo, got to the
root mother
this seems unbalanced... I can't imagine later levels. Probably gonna drop this game.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
This should be much more lenient soon. It has a variance of 15-30s time to breakout after coming out of the Nightmare Realm (this was removed). You also had to do 10% health. In the new version, he will have 2x the health, but you only need to do 3.5% to break him out (so equivalent of 7% before - 30% less). You also get 2s more DPS time during the breakout sequence.

Sounds good! Love the boss' mechanics. Mentioned it earlier, but it kind of reminds me of a simpler version of a Destiny-style raid boss.
And that's a compliment! Destiny raids have some of the best boss battles I've ever experienced in a shooter of any kind!

While I have you on the line (so to speak), any progress on the extremely common public game matchmaking error that spits out an "Already in Session" notice? It's... very, very annoying.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Going through solo, got to the
root mother
this seems unbalanced... I can't imagine later levels. Probably gonna drop this game.

What do you feel is unbalanced about it? The simpler mobs should be easy to take down. The archers will generally target you. And let me give you a pro-tip for when the Root Brute spawns. Try to be on the opposite end of the arena and start shooting it right away to draw aggro. At that point, it's just a matter of waiting out the timer. You don't have to kill everything to win.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
30 hours in....all Solo. The particle accelerator is is pretty gnarly and was a big help for the boss on Corsus......but that crossbow... whew. That thing is something else.

I've hit a wall at the Undying King though. My aim is just a touch off when using the crossbow so I miss at least half my shots, sometimes only two orbs spawn, sometimes he summons 6. I'll get him eventually, but I'd rather not have to grind a whole bunch. It could be that I just need a break. The Rattle weed mod is such a help in that fight to give some breathing room...I just don't have enough health/defense if he gets in close.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
30 hours in....all Solo. The particle accelerator is is pretty gnarly and was a big help for the boss on Corsus......but that crossbow... whew. That thing is something else.

I've hit a wall at the Undying King though. My aim is just a touch off when using the crossbow so I miss at least half my shots, sometimes only two orbs spawn, sometimes he summons 6. I'll get him eventually, but I'd rather not have to grind a whole bunch. It could be that I just need a break. The Rattle weed mod is such a help in that fight to give some breathing room...I just don't have enough health/defense if he gets in close.

Huh. I've fought that boss a ton and never saw him summon 6 of those "turrets" at a time. Only always in pairs. If you ignore the ones that are up, then he will continue summoning more over time, however.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
What do you feel is unbalanced about it? The simpler mobs should be easy to take down. The archers will generally target you. And let me give you a pro-tip for when the Root Brute spawns. Try to be on the opposite end of the arena and start shooting it right away to draw aggro. At that point, it's just a matter of waiting out the timer. You don't have to kill everything to win.
I think I need more damage. That Big Boi just does a b-line to Mama and takes her out. Drawing aggro doesn't seem to work.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
It's the toughest boss battle in the game especially if playing solo.

its the second easiest boss in the game along with the last one lol

actually it is the easiest one.

When its alone, just hug the far right or far left wall and wait for the egg to be threw. do a dodge on the left / right and then wait for the second egg. If you see it readying its weapon just dodge forward. Congratz you actually are mastering the fight

The only thing changing is the end but the one boss you dont fight always is at the opposite end of the bridge depending of where you're standing at, slowly coming toward your position. So ... again, start by hugging the wall furthest to his position, wait for the egg, dodge laterally, rinse and repeat

The only tricky part is to kill the two exactly at the same time in solo for the alternative kill

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I think I need more damage. That Big Boi just does a b-line to Mama and takes her out. Drawing aggro doesn't seem to work.

Ideally, you'll want to take out the Root Brute, yeah. But if you're on the opposite side of the combat arena when it spawns and you immediately shoot it, it should head straight for you. At that point, kiting it while the timer ticks down will win you the fight. Maybe taking down any of the smaller baddies that may be flinging their projectiles at the other target.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
its the second easiest boss in the game along with the last one lol

actually it is the easiest one.

When its alone, just hug the far right or far left wall and wait for the egg to be threw. do a dodge on the left / right and then wait for the second egg. If you see it readying its weapon just dodge forward. Congratz you actually are mastering the fight

The only thing changing is the end but the one boss you dont fight always is at the opposite end of the bridge depending of where you're standing at, slowly coming toward your position. So ... again, start by hugging the wall furthest to his position, wait for the egg, dodge laterally, rinse and repeat

The only tricky part is to kill the two exactly at the same time in solo for the alternative kill

Don't forget, the second one will pop up once you take a full quarter off the first one's health.
If you look at the ceiling on the side of the bridge where the second one will spawn, you'll see a cocoon.
Shooting it down will cause the second to spawn in early, with a full 25% of its health missing.
Ideally, you'll want to do this juuuuuust before you knock off the first bug's first 25% chunk of health (when its health is at or just below 80%).
Makes the fight that much shorter, and if you're really careful about things, puts them both at around the same health level (75%), which means it would be easier to keep their current health levels even and hopefully net you the alternate reward (which requires taking them down in rapid succession so that the remaining bug's aggro phase never happens).

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Don't forget, the second one will pop up once you take a full quarter off the first one's health.
If you look at the ceiling on the side of the bridge where the second one will spawn, you'll see a cocoon.
Shooting it down will cause the second to spawn in early, with a full 25% of its health missing.
Ideally, you'll want to do this juuuuuust before you knock off the first bug's first 25% chunk of health (when its health is at or just below 80%).
Makes the fight that much shorter, and if you're really careful about things, puts them both at around the same health level (75%), which means it would be easier to keep their current health levels even and hopefully net you the alternate reward (which requires taking them down in rapid succession so that the remaining bug's aggro phase never happens).

oh neat i never saw the cocoon !

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
oh neat i never saw the cocoon !

It's very easy to miss. A few shots from Ruin breaks the cocoon, so it doesn't have a whole lot of health.
And the benefits to spawning it mere seconds before it'd show up normally, with one full chunk of its health gone... yeah, well, worth it!
It's an awesome and clever fight.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
We were well aware of the stacks and the damage. Literally an hour of attempts, and various gear switches, and different mods, buffs, etc. Like I said, it worked the second go after we both restarted without any other changes to our methods. If anything, we actually ended up using fewer stacks each teleport than we previously tried because it actually properly worked that time. And the only reason we tried restarting is because we read about others who had the same issue.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I encountered the
Blind Thief
in a dungeon (or at least I think that's what it was called) but I failed to killed it before it disappeared. Is it gone forever (until possibly rerolling the world)? I entered the dungeon again several times but it's not there anymore.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I encountered the
Blind Thief
in a dungeon (or at least I think that's what it was called) but I failed to killed it before it disappeared. Is it gone forever (until possibly rerolling the world)? I entered the dungeon again several times but it's not there anymore.
I had the same problem. I shot at it with a shot that should have killed it and it just disappeared and never showed up again :(

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019

Whoever is doing damage has to down 10% of the boss's health for the weakpoint to show up after the 2nd or 3rd meteor wave i dont remember exactly

if you dont your dmg buff will be reset and you gotta try again

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So I'm hungry for a new game, thinking about picking this up.

Heard there are balancing problems playing solo and its just too difficult and not fun... any truth to this?

I will only be playing solo.