• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So how is the PS4 version right now, is it still crashing constantly? Wondering if it's worth booting up tonight or wait for another patch.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
New page, new reminder of the Google Sheet collating users by platform and whatnot. Why play alone when you can play with new friends?
Had a fantastic handful of sessions with SonicXtreme last night!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
So how is the PS4 version right now, is it still crashing constantly? Wondering if it's worth booting up tonight or wait for another patch.

Haven't booted up today, but if it's still on yesterday's 1.03 patch, the game is relatively stable on regular PS4. If you're on a PS4 Pro, you HAVE to switch your OS-level visual display settings from 4K/Automatic to 1080p and perhaps disable Supersampling. Otherwise, you'll get constant blue screen crashes. I believe they're pushing out an emergency fix at some point today to resolve this issue. Even if you have a 1080p set (like I do), you'll need to switch from Automatic to the fixed 1080p setting from the PS4's settings to avoid the crashes.

Eagledare

Oct 30, 2017
Just wanted to say I'm having an awesome time with the game. I was affected by the blue screen crashes last night (on a Pro) so I'll adjust my resolution later. I know the devs are taking some heat for the issues at play I definitely feel like once this stuff is ironed out they have something pretty special on their hands. Hang in there, guys!

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
When I select World Settings at the crystal in Ward 13, the displayed Play Time is almost 6 hours, but I've been playing the game for over 30 hours (and this is reported correctly when I load the character in the game menu).
Is that a bug?

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the lower hour count is your time spent as a host. I don't think that count takes your hours spent helping others in co-op into account. I could be very wrong about this.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Such an immensely amazing time I had with this game entirely ruined at the end by whatever this final boss is supposed to be.
What an utter travesty of mechanics.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't beaten the final boss yet, but I actually really like the encounter. Kind of reminds of a Destiny raid boss (though most of those don't have two phases). The second phase, in particular, is pretty neat. In Destiny, however, the raid itself basically introduces to you and iteratively teaches you the mechanics you'll ultimately be using to take down the final boss. Remnant... doesn't. But the idea of getting warped into an alternate realm/location, killing mobs to build up a large stack of DPS buffs, then exiting said realm and focusing on the boss to do damage and expose a weakpoint for others to do damage. Very Destiny-ish in a lot of ways.

So... I'm just hearing about this game and it looks pretty cool? I've never heard of the dev so I don't know what their track record is. I'd be getting it on standard PS4. How viable is it solo? I'm really in the mood for a kind of Victorian horror shooter thing and this looks up my alley.

They're basically Vigil Games' successor studio. I believe that a lot of the Vigil devs reformed as Gunfire Games when the original THQ died. They were contracted by THQ Nordic to work on at least some of the Darksiers 1 and 2 remasters, and they handled Darksiders 3 on their own.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Is level 20 the max on traits? Got my health to 20 and it says max. Is that it, or does it increase at a certain story progression point?

Pretty sure 20 is it. There are at least 30 traits (according to the trophy list), perhaps more. So if you really go for max level, that comes out to at least 600 trait levels. I suppose they may boost that beyond 20 in the future, via DLCs or NG+ or whatever. But I think, for now, weapons, armors, and traits top out at 20.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Pretty sure 20 is it. There are at least 30 traits (according to the trophy list), perhaps more. So if you really go for max level, that comes out to at least 600 trait levels. I suppose they may boost that beyond 20 in the future, via DLCs or NG+ or whatever. But I think, for now, weapons, armors, and traits top out at 20.
Ok time to use my points then. I was saving them in case after a certain point it would let me put more points on it.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I kinda wish the levels scaled within a set range, rather than a flat +1.

It actually makes me want to not level up, because I know it'll just counter-intuitively make things more difficult going forward.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda wish the levels scaled within a set range, rather than a flat +1.

It actually makes me want to not level up, because I know it'll just counter-intuitively make things more difficult going forward.

The avg +1 level scaling when re-rolling a campaign translates to a roughly 10% initial disadvantage according to the devs. A bit more leveling of your gear will easily overcome that. And the amazing passives you get from leveling certain traits will also swing things heavily in your favor. To say nothing of the additional passives you get from the two rings and one necklace you can equip.

That said, even in the worst-case scenario, a pure 10% damage disadvantage is fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things. As your own skill as a player increases (and your familiarity with the different mobs, their attacks, and boss patterns grows), even that disadvantage can be overcome.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The avg +1 level scaling when re-rolling a campaign translates to a roughly 10% initial disadvantage according to the devs. A bit more leveling of your gear will easily overcome that. And the amazing passives you get from leveling certain traits will also swing things heavily in your favor. To say nothing of the additional passives you get from the two rings and one necklace you can equip.

I think that's where the RNG may be causing a bit of trouble. During my initial run at the game basically nothing dropped for me and I pilfered all the iron in the levels and couldn't upgrade my gear any further. For the initial boss it didn't really matter if I grinded a bit and added an extra 2.5% or whatever health, that was basically a drop in the bucket when the boss or adds could take me down in a couple hits, anyway.

My second run I've been having better luck finding stuff (found a ring right off the bat, I actually found the gear behind the bookcase this time, and way more iron is dropping for me) and I'm having a smoother go of things. I think a large part of that is also because I'm not grinding or upgrading whenever I can, though - I'm pushing through until I die and upgrading/levelling only when necessary.

The traits definitely help, but in some scenarios you get stuck with the initial traits/gear and can't easily progress to get to the better stuff.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
I'm done.
You know it's possible to make a boss that doesn't just flood the screen with status effects, enemies and faster different enemies from every direction while dodging explosions from the sky, right? The Ent boss fight is bad game design.
Difficulty ≠ more enemies.
Destroy its legs and no adds and easier to kill. just did it with a random on ps4

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's where the RNG may be causing a bit of trouble. During my initial run at the game basically nothing dropped for me and I pilfered all the iron in the levels and couldn't upgrade my gear any further. For the initial boss it didn't really matter if I grinded a bit and added an extra 2.5% or whatever health, that was basically a drop in the bucket when the boss or adds could take me down in a couple hits, anyway.

My second run I've been having better luck finding stuff (found a ring right off the bat, I actually found the gear behind the bookcase this time, and way more iron is dropping for me) and I'm having a smoother go of things. I think a large part of that is also because I'm not grinding or upgrading whenever I can, though - I'm pushing through until I die and upgrading/levelling only when necessary.

The traits definitely help, but in some scenarios you get stuck with the initial traits/gear and can't easily progress to get to the better stuff.

FWIW, you can just join random co-op sessions and get tons of scrap and crafting materials that way. Also, any bosses you take down and quests you complete while co-oping will net you the relevant weapon, mod, and trait rewards. You won't get the relevant trophies until you do the same in your world, either solo or as host, but it's an awesome way to scope out what's ahead and load up on tons of gear, loot, traits, and levels.

I have 6 or 7 complete armor sets, something like 15 traits, over a dozen weapons, even more accessories (rings/charms), and my trait level is 158. All of my weapons and armor are at least at +5, my favorite boss weapons are at +6, my favorite non-boss weapons are approaching +15, and my favorite armor set is also at +15. (And I haven't even finished Earth yet in my own game! Nor have I rerolled my campaign).

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
FWIW, you can just join random co-op sessions and get tons of scrap and crafting materials that way. Also, any bosses you take down and quests you complete while co-oping will net you the relevant weapon, mod, and trait rewards. You won't get the relevant trophies until you do the same in your world, either solo or as host, but it's an awesome way to scope out what's ahead and load up on tons of gear, loot, traits, and levels.

I have 6 or 7 complete armor sets, something like 15 traits, over a dozen weapons, even more accessories (rings/charms), and my trait level is 158. (And I haven't even finished Earth yet in my own game)!

Yeah, I think I may give that a try. I'm fairly antisocial with my game-playing, and I was operating under the assertion that the game was balanced with SP in mind, but if doing some multiplayer will give me a leg up in my own campaign, I'll swallow my distaste and play with others for a while. :)

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think I may give that a try. I'm fairly antisocial with my game-playing, and I was operating under the assertion that the game was balanced with SP in mind, but if doing some multiplayer will give me a leg up in my own campaign, I'll swallow my distaste and play with others for a while. :)

Hit up my edit above for more details. Most randos seem to be playing without mics, so I wouldn't be concerned with staying off mic.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I think I got halfway through the swamp level and I got a question.

So the Undying King said he wants the heart of the beast to help me, but just now I've also meet a fairy lady who also wants it. I guess you can decide who you give it to?

What's the best choice here? I don't want to miss out on any content so that's why I'm asknig.

Last edited:

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
So i died to the root horror and now it wont spawn again for me to fight it? Is there a way to fix this(on xbox)

edit: tragic is this supposed to happen? you only get one shot at that weird enemy in the fourth world?

Last edited:

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I think I got halfway through the swamp level and I got a question.

So the Undying King said he wants the heart of the beast to help me, but just now I've also meet a fairy lady who also wants it. I guess you can decide who you give it to?

What's the best choice here? I don't want to miss out on any content so that's why I'm asknig.

It's absolutely impossible to do everything in one run, regardless. There are dungeons and events that will simply not spawn in your worlds. Each world has a fixed total number of events and dungeons and potential world bosses. Each campaign run will spawn with a subset of these, randomly determined. So if you plan on doing and getting everything, you WILL need to do multiple runs (or at least engage in tons of jolly co-op and hope you luck into a world with a different set of dungeons/events/bosses than what yours rolled with). That said, all of the bosses have pre-determined, guaranteed loot drops. SOME of these will have alternate kill/fight methods that will net you an alternate set of drops. These alternates are MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. For example, you must have gotten either Ent or Singe as your Earth's world boss. A regular Ent kill will net you a unique boss shotgun. Breaking off a leg before killing it will net you a unique boss maul weapon. Likewise, simply killing Singe will net you one reward, cutting off its tail (Dark Souls style) and then killing it, will net you a unique flaming sword weapon.

Similarly, the decision you make with Undying King will determine what drop you get (and perhaps, a trophy/achievement). Just try to remember how you kill bosses and what decisions you make in your own game when you finally get around to engaging in jolly co-op (or re-rerolling your campaign), and chase whatever drops/quest choices you missed out on in earlier runs for different unique outcomes/rewards/trophies.

Edit - Also, keep in mind that as far as trophies/achievements go, the choices you make and quest item turn-ins only count in your world, either solo or as a host. While you WILL get the normal rewards for regular/alt boss kills, regular/all quest turn-ins when co-oping in another player's world, you will NOT get trophy/achievement credits associated with those accomplishments.

Last edited:

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I've found like 3 weapons and no armor in around 8 hours, is it normal ?

The gear upgrade merchant in Ward-13 will sell you the starter weapons and armor sets of the two class archetypes you did NOT select at the beginning of the game. Immediately leaivng Ward-13 for the "Founder's Office" (where you got the Ward-13 keycard and probably read some journal entries), hides another complete armor set. Smash some bookshelves and look for a small crawl space you have to crouch to access.

Other armor sets are tied to quests (which may not spawn in your game) and special dungeons/events (which may not spawn in your game). You'll also find more in other biomes, which have their own set of merchants, quests, and dungeons, which may or may not spawn in your campaign. As I detailed in a post above, every biome has a fixed set of total dungeons, quests, and special events tied to them, and every campaign will roll with a randomly determined subset of these activities. Just spitting out numbers, let's say for example that Earth has a total of six dungeons / special events and two world bosses. Your campaign may roll with only 2 or 3 of those dungeons / special events and only one of the world bosses. This is all determined when you first start your campaign and is "locked in" until you re-roll your campaign. Re-rolling will scale the difficulty according to your own average gear score, so I'd probably save re-rolling until you're done with the story, and hit up jolly co-op with other players as host to try to partake of their rolled dungeons, quests, and world bosses. You won't get any alternate trophies/achievements associated with events you complete in other players' worlds, but you WILL gain their unique loot.

But in general, there are way more weapons, mods, accessories, and traits than there are armor sets in the game. So don't be surprised if you find yourself finding 2 or 3 times as many of everything else compared to armor sets.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I was really starting to have fun with this game now that it was getting going a bit, but I just hit the swamp about two hours ago and can't progress any further. It is just a nightmare of dying frame rate and buggy enemies. This is on the launch PS4, so I get that it's probably not a priority, but it feels just awful to get into a game like this, really start enjoying it after hours of very much not liking it, only to then hit a zone like this.

I know I've said my piece on how much I don't like the constantly spawning adds in previous posts, but you could at least see where they were coming from in other areas. Here they seem to just keep coming from every direction (specifically any direction you're not looking in there seems to be an coming at you that wasn't there a second or two prior) while the game barely chugs along has me about ready to just quit at this point.

Even when the frame rate normalizes here I end up getting these weird deaths where it seems like I'm out of the way of attacks but get hit anyway. This one isn't the best example, since I can at least see the argument for that hit connecting, but it was the last one before I just gave up for the day.

On the upside, been really enjoying the various shotguns. They are very satisfying and I'm hoping the three I currently have aren't the only ones in the game.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Can you play with random players online? If so, does the game handle that well? I don't really have any friends to play this with so if the game sucks at matching you with competent players then I'm not interested unfortunately.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I was really starting to have fun with this game now that it was getting going a bit, but I just hit the swamp about two hours ago and can't progress any further. It is just a nightmare of dying frame rate and buggy enemies. This is on the launch PS4, so I get that it's probably not a priority, but it feels just awful to get into a game like this, really start enjoying it after hours of very much not liking it, only to then hit a zone like this.

I know I've said my piece on how much I don't like the constantly spawning adds in previous posts, but you could at least see where they were coming from in other areas. Here they seem to just keep coming from every direction (specifically any direction you're not looking in there seems to be an coming at you that wasn't there a second or two prior) while the game barely chugs along has me about ready to just quit at this point.

Even when the frame rate normalizes here I end up getting these weird deaths where it seems like I'm out of the way of attacks but get hit anyway. This one isn't the best example, since I can at least see the argument for that hit connecting, but it was the last one before I just gave up for the day.

On the upside, been really enjoying the various shotguns. They are very satisfying and I'm hoping the three I currently have aren't the only ones in the game.

Performance is definitely a priority. We are absolutely looking into it with the goal of making it better!

KirbyKid

Designer at Gunfire
Verified
Aug 13, 2019
Can you play with random players online? If so, does the game handle that well? I don't really have any friends to play this with so if the game sucks at matching you with competent players then I'm not interested unfortunately.

Matchmaking has been solid on PC. The issues with matchmaking on the consoles is being addressed.

For PC, I find it easy to jump into any random game, help them beat something, and then leave.
You keep all your EXP and items when you die so even if you jump into a group and lose every battle, you'll still grow.
Difficulty scales up with multiplayer. So if something is too hard with your random group, take the spoils and then try playing a bit more on your own. I find popping back and forth to be really effective.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I think he disappears on a timer anyway. Did you find the key item to enter his area near a certain NPC? Try going back there ;)
Yep had the strange bobble or whatever that was, the giat bell lifts into the air. I get the tome of knowledge and a purple thing
It spawned and i started fighting it. I died and it does not appear again

OP
OP
Queen Of Hunting
Jun 14, 2019
cant remmeber any game thats beaten its concurrent active users like 5 days after release

• 37,990 all-time player peak about 5 hours ago

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Matchmaking has been solid on PC. The issues with matchmaking on the consoles is being addressed.

For PC, I find it easy to jump into any random game, help them beat something, and then leave.
You keep all your EXP and items when you die so even if you jump into a group and lose every battle, you'll still grow.
Difficulty scales up with multiplayer. So if something is too hard with your random group, take the spoils and then try playing a bit more on your own. I find popping back and forth to be really effective.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I'll be playing on PC if I decide to grab it. Definitely interested.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I know it's possible to get the weapons, armour, and mods of the other classes, but is it possible to also get their traits at some point?

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
The discussions recently on Waypoint has made me really want to play this game, so I think i'll grab it soonish. Especially since it's only 40 bucks. Gotta wait till I'm through September with all these Switch releases coming soon, though...

Has anyone beat it? I'm curious how long it is. I'm really intrigued by the use of proc gen in this game. Clever idea for a soulslike.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The discussions recently on Waypoint has made me really want to play this game, so I think i'll grab it soonish. Especially since it's only 40 bucks. Gotta wait till I'm through September with all these Switch releases coming soon, though...

Has anyone beat it? I'm curious how long it is. I'm really intrigued by the use of proc gen in this game. Clever idea for a soulslike.
Took me 19 hours to beat. You can deduct about 2 hours of that being some running around chekcing for more stuff and a bit of co-op. So around 17 hours.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Took me 19 hours to beat. You can deduct about 2 hours of that being some running around chekcing for more stuff and a bit of co-op. So around 17 hours.
Cool, thanks. That's about the sweetspot for me. There are so many games in the next few months, I was afraid of getting into another massive endeavor (Dragon Quest...).

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
So I just made it to the Undying and I am really digging this game. The gameplay is obviously fantastic, but I love the lore and the world! A bit cliche in some spots but I just really appreciate how much the devs really dove in and crafted so much to this universe. Feels like a lot of passion went in to this game and I love that. Not to mention the devs being on this thread is a great sign.

This is undoubtedly one of my surprises of the year. Wasn't even on my radar before a week ago.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
any good resources on PS4 performance? Thinking of jumping in so the wife and I can play together and kill some shit, but just want to be 100%

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
It's an inconsistent 30 on all consoles. Some biomes run worse than others. Improving console performance is a priority for the devs, though I'm not sure we have an actual ETA on when that patch will land. I imagine it's better on the PS4 Pro and XBO X, but I have no way of comparing it myself.

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017
What's the criteria to have someone join your game? Do helpers just enter a giant queue or is there some sort of level range requirement?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
SonicXtreme, I'm fairly sure I'm at the end of the auto rifle's dungeon on Earth, if you still want it.
I can hold off at this final checkpoint and just play some co-op until you're available to claim it with me.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
final boss was FIRE, so good. (i don't really care for his weapon, looks nice tho)

the clock say 35 hours but now i'm gonna do a shitload of coop to catch all the weapons i miss.

i'm gonna buy every dlc for this game, for me surprise of the year with hades and mutant years zero.

i hope it sells 10 milions copies...

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
tragic Tagging you since this issue is getting on my nerves and I need help.
When playing multiplayer, I have no issues joining other people. When other people try to join me they either get stuck in loading screen straight away or get stuck once we start loading into next area, what is causing this?
Platform is PC/Steam.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
SOME of these will have alternate kill/fight methods that will net you an alternate set of drops. These alternates are MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. For example, you must have gotten either Ent or Singe as your Earth's world boss. A regular Ent kill will net you a unique boss shotgun. Breaking off a leg before killing it will net you a unique boss maul weapon. Likewise, simply killing Singe will net you one reward, cutting off its tail (Dark Souls style) and then killing it, will net you a unique flaming sword weapon.
You can get bonus drops from these bosses?!

Damn, I wish I knew that last night. I'm a fair bit past the Ent fight in my game. Sure, the guaranteed drop is great, but that bonus would've been amazing too.