• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Except for the additional other boss? And the 6 adds that spawn every X amount of times?
I saw them more as new attacks than adds tbh, the additional boss is merely but two new attacks which are fair to avoid, the homing missiles are just that, homing missiles that die in one hit, are slow and appear after a clear visual clue.
If these are adds though, my opinion doesn't change, please more of this and less of regular ennemies appearing at random from every possible angles.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
tragic Just wanted to confirm that my crashes are also on a PS4 Pro.

I'd rather just wait for a patch than go fiddling around in my resolution settings.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Played maybe 6-7 hours with a friend and utterly adore it. I don't get the hate for the adds on boss fights.... They would be so easy without, it's a design decision clearly and for me personally a good one.

Can't wait to finish this and for once I really hope for some dlc / expansion. It's the hellgate london I always wanted.

Also loving the Stargate vibes!!

For a negative the performance is a bit spotty on my 2070

Oct 28, 2017
I'm done.
You know it's possible to make a boss that doesn't just flood the screen with status effects, enemies and faster different enemies from every direction while dodging explosions from the sky, right? The Ent boss fight is bad game design.
Difficulty ≠ more enemies.

Reaper55

Oct 25, 2017
Had a weird encounter with an evil tree. A tree picked me up and gave me a trait - we think it was because of the head armor i was wearing. Party members got screwed and didnt get anything, one of them took a shot at it and it turned hostile. We rezoned and relogged and the tree did not give the trait to them. We all put on melee axes and chopped it down. It didn't even fight back!

Not sure if that was a bug, but shooting it with a gun made the tree spawn enemy waves, melee attacks did not have a reaction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuweAv3TmI Also we broke the trees critical point in a previous attempt (chest piecr that glows when summoning enemies) and it wasn't doing critical damage anymore. Didn't reset after we wiped too.

Last edited:

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Received a code for PS4 while I was at Gamescom. Will try it out this weekend. Anything I should keep in mind?

Pfroebbel

Oct 28, 2017
It is horrible. Game is completly broken on PS4 after the latest Patch. It is crashing every few Minutes. Please Reroll the Patch to the last one

Helixx-gaf

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern PA
Well I'm a few hours in and wanted to post my appreciation here for what is a genuinely fun game. Beating a Hearty Gorefist was a heart pumping and exciting time, the exploration continues to be fun. The interesting levels I'm now encountering are really stretching their legs as far as design and look-and-feel and, as many have mentioned, the combat model is fantastic. It feels just right.

It took me about 30-40 minutes to come to grips with how I want to play it -- what weapons suit what ranges, how do I want to engage different enemies etc -- but once I did, I found the way you move in the space and defeat things tactically very satisfying. When I was running low on ammo, I devised a method of engaging to just outside of melee range, shooting the mob with one pistol shot to knock it back and then finish it with 1 or 2 melee hits. This helped me learn melee timing, knockback timing, stun locking etc. and made group management much easier. Plus I had ammo to dump on an elite when I needed to. All in all, the game presented me with interesting problems that I was asked to solve in any variety of ways that were completely viable. I've been watching streams and people are coming up with their own solutions and I think that speaks to the generally flexible design decisions. Kudos.

I'll just throw my $.02 in on the "adds are bad design" comments. I was super annoyed by the exploding guys in the Gorefist (hearty) fight but the first few attempts were true problem solving for me. Listen for the squee sound, try to triangulate it while running to gain space and put something hard between me and Gorefist, using that stunlock management mentioned above to halt the advance of the adds and set them up for finishing shots that would kill more than one. These tactics were all extremely satisfying to devise and execute. Once I figured out some ways to go about it, the actual run where I beat Gorefist was still quite exciting and difficult but not frustrating. Thinking back on it, if the adds weren't there keeping pressure up, the entire fight would have been pretty boring. Bait out a big hit, dodge, shoot, repeat.

Anyway, good game. Really enjoying it.

Jan 10, 2019
Really feel like getting this now to play it over the weekend, but keep reading about constant crashes. Are those mainly due to output issues on PS4 Pro? Base PS4 here & no 4K tv btw.

Tbone3336

Oct 28, 2017
It is horrible. Game is completly broken on PS4 after the latest Patch. It is crashing every few Minutes. Please Reroll the Patch to the last one

If you are on a PS4 Pro, you can temporarily fix it by changing from 4k res down to 1080P res on the setting of the PS4 Pro. Then when loading the game it should not crash as that helped me continue. They said they are due a patch today to fix it to run back in full 4k without crashing.

Reaper55

Oct 25, 2017
Really feel like getting this now to play it over the weekend, but keep reading about constant crashes. Are those mainly due to output issues on PS4 Pro? Base PS4 here & no 4K tv btw.

It seems they introduced a patch 1.03 (last night) that is causing crashes to PS4 pros who have 4k setting or supersampling enabled. I can confirm changing the settings fixed it for me. From the devs it seems like there is a patch coming today that fixes it. Prior to the patch, my squad has a cumilative total of 42 hours playtime and 1 crash between the three of us.

Tbone3336

Oct 28, 2017

According to Tragic the Dev last night this issue was only confined to the Pro, I cannot say if it happens on the base PS4 but I have fixed the problem on the pro by going into 1080P res. I have not noticed anyone mention issues with a base PS4 so hopefully it is good.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Talking about ads, I was also weirded out by them in boss fights at first but to be honest none of the bosses so far have given me grief. I usually beat them after 3-4 times. Without them, the fights would probably end in a minute or two so I guess with the budget restrictions the devs had, they needed something to keep these fights go on for much longer.

Tbone3336

Oct 28, 2017
Outside of that Pro issue, this game is awesome in my opinion. Love just about everything about it and given the Devs communications I would not have any hesitation recommending buying this as I am sure they will fix and continue to improve the performance. The game play is outstanding and lots of fun with fun upgrades and upgrade paths offering lots of build opportunities.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Jim Sterling put out a video calling this game "mediocre rubbish". I don't know how he arrived at that conclusion.
There are people calling Uncharted, Last of Us, The Witcher 3, etc. rubbish or "boring". Each to their own. But I guess Jim elaborates much more detailed on why he feels so in regards on Remnant.

I'll try the game for myself. Good Steam refunds is a thing, just in case.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I've just now started hearing the buzz about this game and it looks interesting, but I still don't really know what this game even is exactly. Even after watching several video reviews.

I've heard "souls-like" thrown around, but it also seems to have co-op and loot drops? Is it a linear story based game like a Souls title, or is it game based around running levels with friends with the framework of Souls style combat and exploration? I can't imagine playing a Souls game co-op due to how meticulous they require me to be and the exploration I like to do in them, so the idea of a co-op aspect kind of puts me off.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Had a weird encounter with an evil tree. A tree picked me up and gave me a trait - we think it was because of the head armor i was wearing. Party members got screwed and didnt get anything, one of them took a shot at it and it turned hostile. We rezoned and relogged and the tree did not give the trait to them. We all put on melee axes and chopped it down. It didn't even fight back!

Not sure if that was a bug, but shooting it with a gun made the tree spawn enemy waves, melee attacks did not have a reaction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuweAv3TmI Also we broke the trees critical point in a previous attempt (chest piecr that glows when summoning enemies) and it wasn't doing critical damage anymore. Didn't reset after we wiped too.
The tree is an "event" basically. You can either use the mask you were wearing to talk to it and get a trait or you can kill it and get an item.

Tbone3336

Oct 28, 2017
I've just now started hearing the buzz about this game and it looks interesting, but I still don't really know what this game even is exactly. Even after watching several video reviews.

I've heard "souls-like" thrown around, but it also seems to have co-op and loot drops? Is it a linear story based game like a Souls title, or is it game based around running levels with friends with the framework of Souls style combat and exploration? I can't imagine playing a Souls game co-op due to how meticulous they require me to be and the exploration I like to do in them, so the idea of a co-op aspect kind of puts me off.

I would say it is on a single player level, in my opinion really like a souls games except with gun and longer range tactics as the focus. There is money and upgrading material that you can farm/gather in the world and you can obtain other weapons through defeating the bosses and completing some levels/quests with the game.

I have played it single player almost exclusively and the Dev, Tragic on here has said they tuned it first on the single player side then on the co-op side. You can most definitely complete the game solo. You can jump into other peoples levels on a co--op basis to farm items then return to your single player world with the upgrades as well as farm in your single player world if you want.

Your one concern with co-op that others are not patient enough is valid, but as mention you can play single player and you can jump in an out of co-op if you want as well.

There are some really good posts throughout this thread from people and the Devs that can outline some of the mechanics and what you might run into and the Devs reasoning for making the game the way it is. I will try to post a few links to those for you in a bit.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Played a like an hour last night. Got into the sewers and started getting my ass whooped lol. Game feels smooth and mechanics are tight. Excited to see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
When I select World Settings at the crystal in Ward 13, the displayed Play Time is almost 6 hours, but I've been playing the game for over 30 hours (and this is reported correctly when I load the character in the game menu).
Is that a bug?

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
After a couple of hours, i really enjoyed it except for the setting, i hate the ''city of ruins'' ambientation on games, now i'm stuck on a boss who has a regenerator perk and there's that explosive blobs eveywhere,

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there ever any ability or item that improves your positional awareness? I feel like I'm constantly having enemies spawn behind me while I'm dealing with enemies that just spawned in front of me. Surely the devs didn't intend you to be whacked from behind while being caught unawares constantly, right?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Is there ever any ability or item that improves your positional awareness? I feel like I'm constantly having enemies spawn behind me while I'm dealing with enemies that just spawned in front of me. Surely the devs didn't intend you to be whacked from behind while being caught unawares constantly, right?

Not that I've seen yet. At this point, if I hear a noise I just start rolling around.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
So I was going solo through the desert world and was all the time on level offense, one below in defense, as long as I didn't upgrade anything. Had a couple friends join me in the Harrow boss fight which made the world level go up (and left me 2 behind, both offense and defense), expected since they're both way over my level. We got as far as the entrance to the Undying King, then they left. Now I started my solo game again and the world (Undying King fight) remains 2 levels above me, even though I leveled a couple times all my equipment. Someone know if this is this normal/intended? (PS4)

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
So... I'm just hearing about this game and it looks pretty cool? I've never heard of the dev so I don't know what their track record is. I'd be getting it on standard PS4. How viable is it solo? I'm really in the mood for a kind of Victorian horror shooter thing and this looks up my alley.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Where do you check the world lvl in comparison to me etc? Heard a few people mention it. Played 8 hours now and haven't seen it anywhere

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Not a ton of loot in this one, eh? I'm maybe 5-6 total hours of playtime so far, and I still have the original armor you find in the first room behind the book case, the initial starting guns I bought from the blacksmith, and 2 rings I picked up. Plus 2 mods from Shroud and Gorefist.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I've never heard of the dev so I don't know what their track record is.

They did Darksiders 3, and I believe they're comprised of some of the Vigil (the other Darksiders) developers.

How viable is it solo?

Doable, but some of it seems to depend on RNG, weapon selection, and your tolerance for adds during boss fights.

I'm really in the mood for a kind of Victorian horror shooter thing and this looks up my alley.

It's not really Victorian. It's more of a "world ended in the 1960's" level of tech.

Where do you check the world lvl in comparison to me etc? Heard a few people mention it. Played 8 hours now and haven't seen it anywhere

I'm not sure if there's another source of info, but if you select to view more info on the equipment screen, the popout tab has a comparison of your offense and defense vs. the zone you're in at the bottom.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
They did Darksiders 3, and I believe they're comprised of some of the Vigil (the other Darksiders) developers.

Doable, but some of it seems to depend on RNG, weapon selection, and your tolerance for adds during boss fights.

It's not really Victorian. It's more of a "world ended in the 1960's" level of tech.

I'm not sure if there's another source of info, but if you select to view more info on the equipment screen, the popout tab has a comparison of your offense and defense vs. the zone you're in at the bottom.

Thanks for the clarification. I saw a bunch of long coats and lever action rifles and assumed a different time period. Still looks pretty cool. Might pick it up if it runs ok on PS4. I know I will be going through this solo so I hope it's not too untenable for that.