• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I decided to reroll since i was stuck on undying king and no MM for xbox so im like eh i'll restart and oh boy am i over leveled for reroll on normal which is fun xD

Wait, is there a cap on re-rolled levels?

I re-rolled and everything scaled up to my level. It seemed like it actually made it harder for me because I'd made a ton of wrong choices until that point.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
This game is really fun playing with 2 other people. Felt sorry for them since I was a lot higher than they were and they kept getting mauled lol

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
So let me get this straight: It is best to discover a new area, go back to Ward 13 to upgrade your stuff and go back to the area, right? This way you get to over level the previously discovered the area because it scaled its level to your average level when you first discovered it?

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is there a cap on re-rolled levels?

I re-rolled and everything scaled up to my level. It seemed like it actually made it harder for me because I'd made a ton of wrong choices until that point.
From my understanding when you reroll the campaign the starting area will be up to your level and +1. When I did it last night the game felt a bit more challenging but that's what i want from playing a "new" rerolled campaign. Not sure it will feel this way all the way through but we'll see.

Got the canyon area in Rhom after my reroll and, wow, that felt a lot different than any previous area I had experienced.

I think I'm more addicted to upgrading traits than I am anything else, the excellent gameplay and loot are great extras too.

-----------------------------------

I defeated Gorefist twice now, first time was in joining someone else's game as the angry fella wasn't in my campaign but after a reroll he was the first boss I encountered but both times he didn't leave me anything for my troubles, is this normal? If not what weapon/mod does he drop crafting materials for?

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I defeated Gorefist twice now, first time was in joining someone else's game as the angry fella wasn't in my campaign but after a reroll he was the first boss I encountered but both times he didn't leave me anything for my troubles, is this normal? If not what weapon/mod does he drop crafting materials for?

Do you mean on the ground? When I beat him he didn't leave anything on the ground, but something popped into my inventory.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I just watched the Jimpressions...seemed a bit too harsh, the basic points are more or less the ones I hold against the game (billions of adds during bosses), but the "mediocre rubbish" seems simply...petty. I get opinions are personal and all that, but this seemed unfair and needlessly brutal.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Some of the Weapon Mods we are getting are just not useful. Wish you can upgrade their effectiveness or something. From shroud we got Rattle Weed that puts down a decoy. Takes too long to launch and disappears too quickly. Also got a 50% damage reduction from Gorefist. The squads melee class spent 17 trait points for melee and regrets it - maybe on an easier difficulty it is more feasible. I am thinking the mod could be useful as a defensive tool - or if there is a mod in the melee weapon.

A lot of people are saying that the Rattle Weed should be nerfed lol. It's so easy to have the entire crew running them letting you basically ignore the threat of adds. This is a tough one to balance!

Just installed this tonight and convinced a friend to pick it up on a whim as well. We ended up playing co-op for a couple of hours. The first boss we encountered was Shroud. Good lord that was difficult but felt great once we beat them.

The game is a lot of fun so far. THIS is the game I was hoping for back when Hunt: Showdown was first revealed as a co-op focused game (Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age).

That's what we wanted to do back then!

So let me get this straight: It is best to discover a new area, go back to Ward 13 to upgrade your stuff and go back to the area, right? This way you get to over level the previously discovered the area because it scaled its level to your average level when you first discovered it?

What we found in testing and many many playthroughs is that players would often go into a new area, see the World Stone/Shard and decide "I'm going to go back to town and level up for this next area". Since the area level is locked when you first go in, this ended up making every zone and every area much easier. So instead, it now locks the zone at +1 to your level (which is a mere 10% diff with even gear, very very doable) and if you level up, it puts you even or well above. Quite often people would level up their gun(s) twice but leave armor, so they'd be above on dmg, lower on armor, or vice versa. In our testing, we found it didn't have a huuuge impact on the time to kill (10% up or down).

Oct 27, 2017
Do you mean on the ground? When I beat him he didn't leave anything on the ground, but something popped into my inventory.
Yeah, I mean a crafting material in my inventory for a specific weapon or mod. I believe he's the only real boss that hasn't dropped me anything.

Edit: Nevermind as I watched a video and he drops the Flesh Barb which I do remember getting at some point, I don't remember what weapon or mod you get from it however.

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So instead, it now locks the zone at +1 to your level (which is a mere 10% diff with even gear, very very doable) and if you level up, it puts you even or well above.

Just to be sure, is the level based on weapons, armour, traits, or all three? And for traits, are they earned traits, or spent traits?

Is there a cap to the individual levels, or is it always Current Level + 1 to infinity?

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
A lot of people are saying that the Rattle Weed should be nerfed lol. It's so easy to have the entire crew running them letting you basically ignore the threat of adds. This is a tough one to balance!

That's what we wanted to do back then!

What we found in testing and many many playthroughs is that players would often go into a new area, see the World Stone/Shard and decide "I'm going to go back to town and level up for this next area". Since the area level is locked when you first go in, this ended up making every zone and every area much easier. So instead, it now locks the zone at +1 to your level (which is a mere 10% diff with even gear, very very doable) and if you level up, it puts you even or well above. Quite often people would level up their gun(s) twice but leave armor, so they'd be above on dmg, lower on armor, or vice versa. In our testing, we found it didn't have a huuuge impact on the time to kill (10% up or down).

Cool, thanks for the information.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched the Jimpressions...seemed a bit too harsh, the basic points are more or less the ones I hold against the game (billions of adds during bosses), but the "mediocre rubbish" seems simply...petty. I get opinions are personal and all that, but this seemed unfair and needlessly brutal.

I think his anger about the adds clouded his judgment on the game. He spent like 7 or 8 minutes just railing against them. Which I get. But I think that anger is clouded his view on other things

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Cheers. Any specific spot where i can get summons? Like before bosses? Just stand by the crystal?
If you join while someone is out on the hunt, you'll spectate until they go to a crystal. If they're at Ward 13, you'll zone in automatically.

So if you see someone join your game, hit up a crystal and they'll join you.

Unlike Dark Souls, you don't have to worry about only specific places where you can coop with randos.

Rev408

Dec 28, 2017
So i've had this game for 3 days now and have yet to be able to play online it just sits at searching, i'm on xboxone and honestly don't have too much interest in playing solo. what's going on? is it possible to get a refund? I feel really ripped off right now.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I think his anger about the adds clouded his judgment on the game. He spent like 7 or 8 minutes just railing against them. Which I get. But I think that anger is clouded his view on other things

While I respect anyone's opinion (as long as it's delivered in a decent way), I think it's pretty safe to say Jim did his review on the City only. He talks only about the drab brown/greys in his review, then in the comments he clearly says "game gets better 5 hours in". Either way, his points are still fair. The game isn't for everyone!

Edit: This is a general reply to his overall review, not the adds thing. Clarification.

Nixonomics

Dec 6, 2018
Going to pick this up tonight with two other friends - really excited to get home. Are there multiple save files/character slots? Can I start a character by myself tonight and a new one when my friends get on later?

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still on the fence with this game as i'm not sure whether i'll really like it. I love Gunfire games but if this is really only enjoyable in coop then I dunno how much I'll get out of it as I only play single player games. If the bosses are just gonna be cheap bullet sponges in single player then it might not be that fun?

Also is there lots of cool loot and gear? what are the incentives in going through areas multiple times like Diablo?

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I'm Corsus but I'd like to go back to Earth and Rhom and try help some people. How do I enter another world ?

EDIT: Nvm, I've figured it out

Last edited:

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Looks like Sterling didn't have too great of a time with it.

EDIT: ah, loaded in a page further back than I thought. Didn't see the discussion already going on about it.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still on the fence with this game as i'm not sure whether i'll really like it. I love Gunfire games but if this is really only enjoyable in coop then I dunno how much I'll get out of it as I only play single player games. If the bosses are just gonna be cheap bullet sponges in single player then it might not be that fun?

Also is there lots of cool loot and gear? what are the incentives in going through areas multiple times like Diablo?
I'm having a blast solo. And i wouldn't call any of the bosses cheap or bullet spongy and I'm about halfway through?
The loot is pretty disappointing so far. All I've really found is crafting material and some rings.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I feel like Jim Sterling has been reviewing from Bizarro World since Vanquish.
I think he has a legitimate criticism of an aspect, but seems to just give up (which is his right), blow it waaaaay out of proportion, and despite saying he completed the game both solo and grouped, seems to dislike the "samey graphics".

Sometimes, just sometimes, I think he enjoys being a contrarian and dispensing vitriol where none is warranted. ERA might not be the best example, but so far both community and devs (at least you, tragic ) seem to be level headed and honestly pleasant...

Field

Oct 29, 2017
Just bought it. Should be good to me if it has at least hints of Resident Evil/Souls vibe.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I mean a crafting material in my inventory for a specific weapon or mod. I believe he's the only real boss that hasn't dropped me anything.

Edit: Nevermind as I watched a video and he drops the Flesh Barb which I do remember getting at some point, I don't remember what weapon or mod you get from it however.

Boss materials go straight to your inventory after a kill (impossible to leave it behind and miss it), and to my knowledge, you're limited to one drop per character. Period. Do note that some bosses have alt. kill strats which will net you an alt. drop, which can then be crafted into an alt. weapon or mod. So for those bosses (mostly world bosses, I believe), if you want both (or more) of their available loot, you'll need to go for at least as many kills as it has materials.

As an example, both Ent and Singe have alternative kills. For the former, you need to DPS a leg until it breaks, then kill it. For Singe, do the same to rip off its tail, then finish it off. Some of the alt. kills later get trickier to do. Note that if you get an alt. kill, you'll only get the alt. material, not the "default" material.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Any eta on MM fix for xbox? Cause some people are not happy about this and is souring the experience. tragic ?

It's coming very soon. Due to the timed submission process (nothing we can do about that) it takes a little longer. However, after a certain period, patches for consoles become 24 hours. Just a matter of time before we reach that threshhold and we can have all 3 versions in sync!!! Gonna be great!

ERA might not be the best example, but so far both community and devs (at least you, tragic ) seem to be level headed and honestly pleasant...

We do our best. KirbyKid and myself (and anyone else) are always willing to talk with the players. We may not always agree on the vision, but that doesn't mean we don't want to hear feedback or criticism!

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Does he ever have a great time with anything? All he seems to do is rant about shit.

For the most part, only the negative Jimpressions get posted here. The videos where he actually enjoys something don't lead to the type of discussion the OP's tend to be looking for. Look on his channel, and you'll find games he actually enjoys.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
It's coming very soon. Due to the timed submission process (nothing we can do about that) it takes a little longer. However, after a certain period, patches for consoles become 24 hours. Just a matter of time before we reach that threshhold and we can have all 3 versions in sync!!! Gonna be great!

We do our best. KirbyKid and myself (and anyone else) are always willing to talk with the players. We may not always agree on the vision, but that doesn't mean we don't want to hear feedback or criticism!

I can vouche for this. I have been rather outspoken on my views on adds but I had a great 1 on 1 with Kirby yesterday. It was just he and I talking about design philosophy.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm on the Root Mother now, and I do fine until I have like thirty seconds left and two of the teleporters and one of the sword guys show up at the same time. If I go for the teleporters first the Root Mother seems to get all the aggro and I can't do enough damage to peel the sword guy off her afterwards. If I go for the sword guy first, the teleporters plink me to death.

Reading back in the thread it seems my trouble may be that I've been standing in front of the Root Mother and trying to guard her. Better luck tonight, hopefully!

Most of the game so far tends to favour the playstyle of moving cautiously, managing who you engage, and controlling chokepoints. These mosh pits keep throwing me for a loop.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm on the Root Mother now, and I do fine until I have like thirty seconds left and two of the teleporters and one of the sword guys show up at the same time. If I go for the teleporters first the Root Mother seems to get all the aggro and I can't do enough damage to peel the sword guy off her afterwards. If I go for the sword guy first, the teleporters plink me to death.

Reading back in the thread it seems my trouble may be that I've been standing in front of the Root Mother and trying to guard her. Better luck tonight, hopefully!

Most of the game so far tends to favour the playstyle of moving cautiously, managing who you engage, and controlling chokepoints. These mosh pits keep throwing me for a loop.
Yeah, stand near at the starting waves and once the bigger stuff appears, hang near the back and just interrupt them from hitting Mother. Last 30 seconds or so, just run around avoiding everyone and the timer will expire and they all explode.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
I got the smg, what should I use for a main? Have the coach gun and it's ok but only two shots before reloading is pretty bunk; I've heard the assault rifle is great but I'm not about to join or reroll a bunch of times to get it.

Also on ps4 I can join randoms fine but I've never once had someone Load into my personal game, am I supposed to be doing anything besides being in public for it to happen lol.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I was hyped until that Jim Sterling vid. I usually don't really care about reviews, but it looks like the boss parts would kill the fun for me. Gonna wait until something is done about them. If not, maybe I'll buy it on sale. Control it is for me this month.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Am loving changing my gear to match the various enemy types and bosses. I never really got into Souls but I feel the emphasis on ranged combat in this is more my thing. The loot is much more about switching perks in and out than stats. This isn't Diablo.

Did some bosses solo and enjoyed also. Yet to run into major issues with adds. I think Singe would have been annoying, but I did that in co op.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I was hyped until that Jim Sterling vid. I usually don't really care about reviews, but it looks like the boss parts would kill the fun for me. Gonna wait until something is done about them. If not, maybe I'll buy it on sale. Control it is for me this month.

His points about the adds during boss fights are fair. His critique that the worlds are drab is off in my opinion. Exploring the interesting locations is the only thing pushing me through the bullshit bosses. Also, the gunplay is good, definitely far from mediocre.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Fighting the Ent right now and while I despised the use of those spore enemies during the Gorefist fight, this one actually seems like a very effective use of them. You can always see where they're spawning in from, they're effected by the boss' attacks, and it's open enough that you wont get caught up on parts of the arena trying to avoid them. The fight itself is actually really interesting and probably my favorite boss so far; particularly with it being the first that isn't just a normal enemy given minions and a single new ability. Plus I'm a sucker for bosses that take battle damage during the fight, like how its legs work.