• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
Went ahead and bought the PS4 version, only a couple hours in but absolutely loving this so far. Hats off guys.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Any folks on PS4 want to play together? My PSN is Mejilan, same as here.
Currently set my game to Public and looking for someone to help me tackled The Shroud.
But I'd be down to co-op anything, generally.

Silent Disco

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Nobody's hogpiling on anybody in this thread. Why have you taken it upon yourself to dictate what the topic of the thread is?

Why did you make a post with this format?
if i could dictate thread discussion i'd be all about talking about parallel universes/worlds while continually wanting to hear more about underlying game mechanics (as tragic and others have already done!).
you give me more power than i possess!

i didn't know i was making a post with a specific format, not exactly sure what that means, but my thought process was ultimately not directed at anyone but more;
wow, the developers are very involved and patient regarding criticism. more patient than i.
i really liked tragic response and my +1 was my way of liking their post/response.
to me, it's rare for developers to be this interactive, while thoroughly explaining game mechanics when asked, with the game community and i applaud their involvement.
i guess i wanted them (tragic and other developers) to know someone does notice the time and effort they're putting in outside of development and appreciates it.

if this is a misread on my part, apologies, but why do you continue to post in a thread for a game you seem to dislike?
there's nothing wrong with that i guess but what do you ultimately hope happens?
they've already said they're re-balancing somethings while taking a look at others.
do you even like the game?
if not, what would be wrong with moving on to something else?
genuinely curious, not judging.

on topic-
playing on the xbox one x and the only slowdown i've experienced (playing solo on 4k tv on external ssd) was after a ~3 hour session but was fixed by closing out the game and shutting the xbox down completely and then re-starting. i've seen posts regarding issues matchmaking on the xbox and i've only tried once to start the game by joining a public game from the start menu. i have 2 characters, both whom are still on earth, and i'm assuming i'm not far enough in the game to get matched with people. i have played probably close to 10 hours but that's split between 2 active characters and 1 i deleted whom spent way too much time exploring ward 13 after getting the ward 13 card and key. 1 character is currently stuck on gorefist (exploding sac enemies as adds) and the other beat shroud and is currently at the root mother.
really enjoying the game, combat mechanics and the story backdrop.

side note-
i really liked days gone but realize not everyone else did. criticisms aimed at days gone's game mechanics or length i understand but again, i still really enjoyed the game nonetheless.
the games are not a like but my enjoyment with remnant from ashes, at this point in the game, is similar to what enjoyment i experienced from days gone.
the story isn't as personal as days gone (maybe it goes that route but regardless) but the combat/game mechanics i'm having fun with in similar degrees.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Got this on a bit of a whim. Fortunately have a co op partner too. Really enjoying it so far. The boss fights have been really fun in co op, juggling adds and boss mechanics has been good.

Story has taken a crazy turn but in an enjoyable way, and we found some cool armour behind a puzzle, which was fun.

Silent Disco

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I'm sure some people who have read my posts think I hate this game. I don't. I've had my opportunity to talk with KirbyKid 1 on 1 and voice my opinion. I want to thank him for taking the time to at the very least listen, ask great questions and hear my answers. I want nothing but the best for gunfire. Also tragic thank you for your clear commitment to the fans. While we might have gone back and forth a few times over the last couple days I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and the team that worked with you on this title.
+1
great post!
in a fantasy world (or parallel world!) posts with criticisms/constructive-feedback follow thonerayman post stream!

searched but didn't see anything but anyone know how weight impacts i-frames?
i think it was reddit where i saw a post by tragic stating i-frames for dodge forward, backwards and left/right and how a specific ring adds to those but wondering if weight impacts i-frames too.
like, does "medium" weight have less i-frames than light but more than heavy?
and if so, how much does weight influence i-frames?

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I'm sure some people who have read my posts think I hate this game. I don't. I've had my opportunity to talk with KirbyKid 1 on 1 and voice my opinion. I want to thank him for taking the time to at the very least listen, ask great questions and hear my answers. I want nothing but the best for gunfire. Also tragic thank you for your clear commitment to the fans. While we might have gone back and forth a few times over the last couple days I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and the team that worked with you on this title.

I don't think you hate it. I think you want to love it (at least that's what I gather) even though you aren't a fan of some of the decisions we made. I get it and respect it. Hopefully the changes we make over the lifetime of the game will be more to your liking... but they may not be! We shall see! Much respect. Always enjoy the discourse!

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Edit: By the way, I just want to give props for devs directly interacting with feedback in this thread. I know how hard it can be to read and accept negative feedback to something you've spent so much time, sweat and tears on especially since the tone and format from random people on the internet can be pretty shitty (though I think this thread has been pretty good in that regard aside form a couple of dumb "lazy dev" posts). So thanks for that.

We (as devs) can always learn something, even from the harshest criticism, as long as it comes from a fair/decent place and with a reasonable tone. =)

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you hate it. I think you want to love it (at least that's what I gather) even though you aren't a fan of some of the decisions we made. I get it and respect it. Hopefully the changes we make over the lifetime of the game will be more to your liking... but they may not be! We shall see! Much respect. Always enjoy the discourse!
I've bought it on 2 platforms. It will stay installed on both and I'll keep a close eye on it. Once I get a group to play with I'll probably like the bosses more!

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
You are 100% right, and the skills you are asked to develop up to that point are: fight multiple enemies, deal with an elite (or two sometimes) that spawn, utilize the environment, stay alive, do dmg and win. This is exactly that the boss fights are except in a smaller room, with a bigger "elite".

First dungeon (typically) in City; lots of Hollow, some elites, and then exploder dudes running at you. No?

Very true, but the trick is to not get hit by those guys. They have a loud squealing tell. They die in 1 shot from any starting long-gun (and 3 from the repeater pistol), and always spawn at a distance so they can run to you (you can get your bearings then deal with them, etc).

Totally understandable. I 100% agree that not everyone will have the same experience.

Again, the adds were never a bandaid solution. They are part of the puzzle.

Told us so? We knew some people would have trouble with it. We also knew some people wouldn't have trouble with it. We could have put sprint on LB and someone would have said "you really shouldn't have put sprint on LB, L3 click is standard" and then said "I hate to tell you I told you so". What does that tell us? We already know not everyone will like every decision. We have reasons for adding the mobs. The tuning values might be too high or too low, but they have legitimate purpose. As mentioned, the fights are puzzles in some way. The boss is the ultimate goal, but not the only thing.

What happens when you run out of scrap? We force you to go farm instead of fighting the boss? If you get afflicted by a disease, you can still beat the boss, and if you die, it's gone (note: It didn't use to, LOL). You run out of ammo, then what? You die and try again? What happens if you need more ammo than is required to kill the boss? Ammo box? Scrap problem again.

Perhaps you should look at it as "plagued with design decisions I don't personally agree with". I may look at a piece of art and say "man I really don't agree with the use of RED in this picture... it's just too loud and takes away from the blues and greens" but does it mean the artist is wrong? Am I wrong? Or... do I just not agree with their specific tasted and/or vision.

I was the #1 tank DPS in the world (while taking the least damage) on Patchwerk according to Elitist Jerks after Xav put up his video of "look how many buttons a top level tank has to press" or whatever it was. They thought my methods were "cheating" and "went against the spirit of the competition" yet I still did the highest DPS and took the lowest amount of DMG. I was also in a top 15 world guild that did top 15 Algalon.

What does that have anything to do with anything?

In your opinion, right? Or is it just 100% matter of fact?

You are 100% correct that people have complained about it. But it is also 100% fact that not everyone, nor the majority have complained about it. Who's right here? I mean, really, I don't care whos actually right in the end. It comes down to "did you enjoy the game?" and if not, thats super cool. I'm very happy you even tried the game. We put a lot of work into it and I think other people are having a pretty fun time... and that's all we can ask for!

Just want to applaud you for engaging with the community in this way. And, more specifically, not immediately going the "You're right, we will consider your feedback, thank you" route but instead making it clear that and why you disagree with certain points. It's really important that devs "dare" to openly disagree with people who bought their games and it's an incredibly valuable perspective, even though it's (sadly) kind of a mindfield these days. So, yeah, thanks for that!

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
Several tries later, we finally beat Ixllis. Jesus CHRIST WE LOVE YOU GOD

I also enjoyed the fight - still working on the drops but it is a little easier if you know that
the small floating white spheres that damage you only have 1hp (or something like that) and you can quickly dispose them with the SMG

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird...I'm just at the Hall of the Faithful and it locks me in like it's a boss room but there's no boss. I reloaded and it still just sits as an empty room.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Just want to applaud you for engaging with the community in this way. And, more specifically, not immediately going the "You're right, we will consider your feedback, thank you" route but instead making it clear that and why you disagree with certain points. It's really important that devs "dare" to openly disagree with people who bought their games and it's an incredibly valuable perspective, even though it's (sadly) kind of a mindfield these days. So, yeah, thanks for that!

We just want to make sure the community knows we hear them. We will never agree on everything... but we might find common ground when we each explain the thinking behind our decisions or opinions. End of the day, we are going to keep making Remnant the best we can while also keeping the community feedback (both positive and negative) in our minds. I believe the game will get better for it, and I hope that at the very least, our interactions let you players/fans know that we are always listening.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Man... playing on solo.. it makes you crazy sometimes. There is almost ALWAYS an enemy behind you somewhere. It feels like Jumpscare: The Game on solo mode <.<

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Disclaimer: I play 100% solo. Just to add my 2 cents to the "adds in boss fights" discussion, I like them and think they're absolutely necessary. They tend to be trickier when the boss is melee as it really narrows down dodge timing windows, lest you dodge the boss and get hit by adds or vice versa. Take the Undying King for instance. That fight without adds would be an absolute cakewalk, yet with the adds it is genuinely challenging and really pushes you to get your awareness and positioning right (using the pillars for cover, not getting caught in the front corner dead-ends etc). I died a couple times when versing Gorefirst for the first time in a NG+ hard run, but eventually beat it by fixing my positioning (I found being up on the gantry with only two possible directions adds could come from made them far easier to handle). I had similar troubles with the Ent but again, I beat it after a dozen odd deaths by changing my strategy without having to change my gear. I don't want to come across as a "git gud" kinda person cause it took me a really long time to get into Dark Souls games due to the difficulty and even now I very much appreciate that punishing games just aren't for everyone, but I can't really think of a time yet playing Remnant where the fight felt impossible, or even unfair, once I thought about how I'd played it and what I could've done differently.

My only gripe currently is that ever since the patch I've had three different instances of adds getting stuck in the walls or floors yet still being able to shoot me, which was annoying but w/e. Love the game and really hope for DLC or a sequel someday.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
We just want to make sure the community knows we hear them. We will never agree on everything... but we might find common ground when we each explain the thinking behind our decisions or opinions. End of the day, we are going to keep making Remnant the best we can while also keeping the community feedback (both positive and negative) in our minds. I believe the game will get better for it, and I hope that at the very least, our interactions let you players/fans know that we are always listening.
HDR pls thx

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Well, I think a lot of my problems were with the Coach Gun. I re-rolled as a Hunter instead and the Hunting Rifle is infinitely better.

My new seed chose Gorefist as the first boss, and I was a bit worried about that, but I made visible progress each attempt and beat him on my fifth or sixth try, which was a far sight better than Shroud, where I didn't feel like I had control over anything.

I'm also finding much better (and more frequent) loot drops. Maybe I just got a bad seed last time.

My biggest issue with boss fights now is rolling into corners or walls and stuff. So much brick-a-brack lying around!

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I've played about 4 hours and just made it to the second world. So far I've faced Shroud who wasn't to bad. Then I fought Grinder and then Singe was the world boss and a down right ass hole.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Is it possible that the Assault Rifle isn't in my current campaign on Earth? I went to the area where it was supposed to be which I believe is the area right before you fight the Mangler but the layout was a bit different than the one in the guide here...

...I've been wanting to re-roll anyways so maybe now is the time to do it.

Absolutely, it isnt a guaranteed item

I got the tommy gun in my 2nd ng+, in an area ive never had before

also now as said prior Im getting new enemies which is honestly rad

Reaper55

Oct 25, 2017
Got the Church and were able to complete it on the first try. 2 of us were down cheering for the third guy to make it. Countdown and health depleting were a photo finish, it was a fun encounter behind a fog door that we were not expecting. I am more optimistic that there is a variety in encounters.

We also killed Gorefist (Vicious) and it took about 7 tries. We all equipped hunter's vision and divided the roles. 1 person stayed downstairs and kills as many exploding adds and try to prevent them from reaching the stairs. Typically there are 3 exploders but the spawn can sometimes be 4. The other two fought Gorefist upstairs staying vigilant when an exploder makes it through the defenses. We also cycled hunters vision to make sure it was always running.

Some of the Weapon Mods we are getting are just not useful. Wish you can upgrade their effectiveness or something. From shroud we got Rattle Weed that puts down a decoy. Takes too long to launch and disappears too quickly. Also got a 50% damage reduction from Gorefist. The squads melee class spent 17 trait points for melee and regrets it - maybe on an easier difficulty it is more feasible. I am thinking the mod could be useful as a defensive tool - or if there is a mod in the melee weapon.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Well, I think a lot of my problems were with the Coach Gun. I re-rolled as a Hunter instead and the Hunting Rifle is infinitely better.

My new seed chose Gorefist as the first boss, and I was a bit worried about that, but I made visible progress each attempt and beat him on my fifth or sixth try, which was a far sight better than Shroud, where I didn't feel like I had control over anything.

I'm also finding much better (and more frequent) loot drops. Maybe I just got a bad seed last time.

My biggest issue with boss fights now is rolling into corners or walls and stuff. So much brick-a-brack lying around!

Maybe I should reroll too instead of throwing in the towel..

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only played for the first two hours or so, but man, this sure is a damn cool game. Glad I decided to buy it after seeing the review thread.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hey Tragic, great game! Kudos. Only played two hours so far, but I'm loving it. I'm also trying to get my friend to buy it as well so we can play co-op.

Question: what's the penalty for dying? Is there any?

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Just installed this tonight and convinced a friend to pick it up on a whim as well. We ended up playing co-op for a couple of hours. The first boss we encountered was Shroud. Good lord that was difficult but felt great once we beat them.

The game is a lot of fun so far. THIS is the game I was hoping for back when Hunt: Showdown was first revealed as a co-op focused game (Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age).

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Maybe I should reroll too instead of throwing in the towel..
You could just buy the other weapons...

I started as the Cultist ( after soft locking myself with too many rerolls before I understood it), but I bought the shotgun because of the higher damage and higher capacity. If I didn't have the sniper I would probably have purchased the hunting rifle too

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
At max level gear/equipment, enemies will be scaled at maximum as well.... Will I be able to mow down everything (feeling powerful) on normal difficulty?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So how much of this game is based on grinding and such? Interested in the game, but am hoping such a thing isn't something that runs into the game.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how much of this game is based on grinding and such? Interested in the game, but am hoping such a thing isn't something that runs into the game.

You don't need to really grind, unless you're looking to get most items (weapons, armor, and mods), which will require you to play multiplayer or reset your world.

My loop tends to be, I play for solo for a boss or two, then as a change of pace / see if I can find what I didnt get in my world, go join others for a spell or two, and the materials end up being an ancilliary bonus to obtaining the more interesting new stuff.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Not really unless you want to grind for materials or ammo , but that only happens if you try to buy or upgrade everything
You don't need to really grind, unless you're looking to get most items (weapons, armor, and mods), which will require you to play multiplayer or reset your world.

My loop tends to be, I play for solo for a boss or two, then as a change of pace / see if I can find what I didnt get in my world, go join others for a spell or two, and the materials end up being an ancilliary bonus to obtaining the more interesting new stuff.

Thanks, sounds like I can give this a try then.

KirbyKid

Designer at Gunfire
Verified
Aug 13, 2019
Question: what's the penalty for dying? Is there any?

There's almost no penalty for dying. At the most, you'll lose an active buff from a consumable, some "charge" on your "spells", and you'll have to start back at the last checkpoint and fight through the enemies that have been reset.

You keep all items, exp, memories, grudges, and feelings of shame.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017

I haven't felt any need to grind in my solo game. I've found more than enough scrap and upgrade materials just by playing through the game. There is also a merchant in the hub area who sells upgrade materials if needed. Some people in this thread have rerolled to try to get certain items in their world, but I'm not interested in that type of meta-play in my first playthrough.

Naru

May 11, 2019
A question about coop: does this game have lobbies or is it made so I can just play, have my game public and someone can join me? Drop in drop out basically. How does this work?

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
Took me a ton of tries, but once I stopped trying to dodge the adds, and instead just focused on eliminating them quickly, the fight got easier. I had wrongly assumed I should just run around when the adds come out and dodge the explosions. Instead, creating some distance and eliminating them with my rifle quickly left much more time to DPS the boss before the next round of adds.
I just never seem to have enough space to kill the warts without getting hit by Gorefist, then I end up cornered with 3 warts surrounding me! I will try again tonight.

Oct 27, 2017
Did my first reroll of the campaign and got some new bosses in the first two worlds, played solo all the way through and defeated Gorefist, Mangler, Ent, Hearty (I think was it's name), just to name a few...Gorefist continues to refuse to give me any reward whatsoever. Up to 195 trait points, I really can't get enough of this game.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I decided to reroll since i was stuck on undying king and no MM for xbox so im like eh i'll restart and oh boy am i over leveled for reroll on normal which is fun xD

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
I've read that some weapons only appear in some "instances" of each world randomly (the monkey key used to get one weapon in the Earth, for example). Is there any way of reroll these levels in order to search for these weapons, amulets and so? Or if X or Y item doesn't appear in your game, there's no way to find it anymore until you start all over again?

Morrowless

Oct 27, 2017
Joined a pub game and somehow ended up with 100 consumables and 1 billion scraps... wish the game was full online.