• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Do quest items picked up when helping out another player not carry over to my own "host" world?
I know I found the Strange Coin (which I think I'm supposed to give to Ace?) in a session last night, but I don't have it when I load up my own file...

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
What I love about this game is that once you get past the first area, it really spreads its wings, artistically. This game goes in some really wacky, cool directions, and I can't imagine any AAA pub taking a chance on such a wacky, weird game. Love that Gunfire got to make something so crazy, weird and beautiful.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
the
undead king
boss fight
giphy.gif
Im on xbox where there is currently no matchmaking...so i cant even get help fuckin making my blood boil. I hope they balance this finally cause im just not happy

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Just got to the desert area again on my second playthrough and my God does it run badly, it definitely revivals the swamp. Just panning the camera makes the game chop up massively.

Oct 29, 2017

I read this guide last night, and due to the random nature of all of the dungeons it wasn't super helpful. I was at the right dungeon described by this guide, but my dungeon only had a skeleton with a gunslinger ring. It's just sort of unclear to me how to find it, is the assault rife in every roll? Because one of my friends has a roll that doesn't even have this dungeon (the one described by the guide).

I also really wish that this game had a feature that checked off dungeons you have already visited, as well as some sort of zoom in feature on the maps.

Lupic

Dec 31, 2017
United Kingdom
Seen some of my regular Twitch streamers play this in coop and obviously looks like a souls game with guns and coop. What's performance like on XB1X and game depth as far as character customization goes? It's just over £30 for me which is surprising, thought it would've been more expensive like majority of other releases these days.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seen some of my regular Twitch streamers play this in coop and obviously looks like a souls game with guns and coop. What's performance like on XB1X and game depth as far as character customization goes? It's just over £30 for me which is surprising, thought it would've been more expensive like majority of other releases these days.
Performance is OK. Some drops here and there but mostly solid. Customisation is fairly basic as it stands a few heads, voices, hair types etc, but he usual RPG fare but much of the customisation comes into play with gears and skills.

OP
OP
Queen Of Hunting
Jun 14, 2019
I think alot of people are playing like dark souls where u kind of most time stay back assess situation etc.

Ive found here if you play aggressive you do fine most time and if u spend time playing safe u get punished

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Dont buy it for Xbox yet. Matchmaking is broken so you cant join and people cant join sessions. So if you find a boss tough solo your stuck.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Dont buy it for Xbox yet. Matchmaking is broken so you cant join and people cant join sessions. So if you find a boss tough solo your stuck.

I think PC has some issues too, people do join but not very often. There is over 30,000 people playing on PC right now, so you'd think getting a full group would take seconds.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The more I play the more I start to dislike the game.

I'm at like the 5th or 6th boss fight and I'm legit tired of every single one of them having ads. Do they actually get better? The only one so far that I enjoyed was Singe, and that was to the fact that he had almost no ads.

What a beautiful way to make artificial difficutly instead of designing good boss fights then have them swarm ads every few seconds at you.
Have you gotten to the boss fight yet that's literally just adds?

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
PS4 Pro plays fine.

I was about to leave a game and it shoved me into someone's game but then I quit. Later people kept joining my game and then leaving. And then when I turn off for the night someone is in my game.

Is there still matchmaking issues or just a stream of bad luck?

Also game is challenging but I am tired of going in the sewers, hope that changes soon.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I read this guide last night, and due to the random nature of all of the dungeons it wasn't super helpful. I was at the right dungeon described by this guide, but my dungeon only had a skeleton with a gunslinger ring. It's just sort of unclear to me how to find it, is the assault rife in every roll? Because one of my friends has a roll that doesn't even have this dungeon (the one described by the guide).

I also really wish that this game had a feature that checked off dungeons you have already visited, as well as some sort of zoom in feature on the maps.

its completely random every time you roll a campaign or join somebody. Id say its easier to get the item you want by joining public games that aren't too far from the church so you just go with the flow and see if you find what you look for

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Just had a blue screen crash (PS4 Pro) that corrupted my save and prompted me to restore from backup.

Oct 29, 2017
its completely random every time you roll a campaign or join somebody. Id say its easier to get the item you want by joining public games that aren't too far from the church so you just go with the flow and see if you find what you look for

That's a good idea. I have been playing with three friends, and I guess I was just surprised that none of us got the right roll.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I take it that whatever the most recent patch was didn't include a Risen nerf? I genuinely don't know what I'm supposed to do. I go through 3 hearts just destroying one re-animator, and the encounter just gets harder after that.

It's just such a bad encounter in its current state. You've already got invisible teleporting dudes that are constantly sprinting, the smaller dudes shouldn't also be capable of sprinting.

I made a video for the desert puzzle if anyone is stuck/interested.

It's random though

Last edited:

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got down to 1 re-animator at half health. The spear throwing dude is dumb as hell on top of all the other things being thrown at you.

Also, are there plans to fix the collision boxes on the actual re-animators themselves? Really annoying to get stuck on the corners because for some reason the collision box doesn't actually appear to be box-shaped.

It has been the same pattern in both my playthroughs, odd.
I thought I heard someone say that.

Seems like weird thing to not randomize out of all the things in the game that are.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I'm getting new kind of enemies in NG++

Is that normal ? if so its awesome !

As for the above, the tile pattern was different on my 2nd run

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I just read the bit about the assault rifle and I progressed past that part last night, so I guess I can just port back there and the dungen for it might spawn? I want new weapons.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
I just read the bit about the assault rifle and I progressed past that part last night, so I guess I can just port back there and the dungen for it might spawn? I want new weapons.

It's my understanding that your world state is set when it's first rolled. Now, if you go back and find it, that's because you missed it the first time around. If it's not there, your world seed doesn't include that dungeon, and you'll have to either re-roll your campaign and hope for a world seed that includes the dungeon, or just play some jolly co-op with folks in that part of the game and hope they have the dungeon.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
i'm playing solo, coop with strangers is even more difficult imho.

I'm getting mixed results as well. Co-op with a partner is usually OK because you can trade off aggro while one heals or reloads. Also, during boss fights, if you see your partner going gung-ho for the boss, you can shift to crowd control to make the fight easier. Or vice-versa. With three, bosses get trickier because there seem to be quite a few more adds than with just one or two players total; and without actual coordination, it's very easy to get overwhelmed. But this depends a lot on the boss fight, IMO.

Ideally, if you're playing with two friends with mics, it's all gravy. But the game is still real new, so folks are figuring out weapon/mod/trait metas and optimal boss strats. It'll only get easier as the player base grows more experienced with the game.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This music puzzle is annoying as hell because the sound of the bells is far too quiet. I can't hear them over the damn music the dude's playing.

Edit: Looked up the solution, and don't know how I was supposed to get that. Can only hear him playing 5 notes.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Got down to 1 re-animator at half health. The spear throwing dude is dumb as hell on top of all the other things being thrown at you.

Also, are there plans to fix the collision boxes on the actual re-animators themselves? Really annoying to get stuck on the corners because for some reason the collision box doesn't actually appear to be box-shaped.

I thought I heard someone say that.

Seems like weird thing to not randomize out of all the things in the game that are.
The plate puzzle has multiple solutions and randomly chooses them. My friend had a very different one from me.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
so game progression is base on the host?
nvr set foot on outside the ward in my own world. only rerolled it to nightmare, quit and joined friends nightmare game.
now i got +2 weaps and +2armors.

You keep all xp, weapons, scrap, loot, etc. found while helping out another host, but make no progress in your own game until you host yourself or run it solo.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Had quite a few bugs on PS4 tonight, brother has crashed and got frozen in places several times.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I don't agree with the complaints about the bosses and adds. I personally like the tension they add, and the constant motion. I have to be aware and active throughout the fights. Also I like the balance they add by giving you your ammo pickups.
I made a video for the desert puzzle if anyone is stuck/interested.

I solved this the other day, and it definitely was not that same pattern. :D

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
What I love about this game is that once you get past the first area, it really spreads its wings, artistically. This game goes in some really wacky, cool directions, and I can't imagine any AAA pub taking a chance on such a wacky, weird game. Love that Gunfire got to make something so crazy, weird and beautiful.
I would love to present: Death Stranding. :)

On the serious side: I completely agree with you.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Im watching lirik, hes on the final boss. It looks like a really underwhelming and awkward fight.

Also the revive bug is really annoying

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm about 7 hours into my second run and I've killed 4 new bosses already, that's really pretty cool.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy FUCK the ads are literally nonstop on the Mangler fight. This is almost unbearable.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, just got to the Desert and I have been taking my time as I'm loving it all.

I looked, so apologies if I missed it, and I have a question about scaling. I understand how it works. When you hit an area it scales to your gear avg +1. What I don't know for sure is what area entails. Is that all of Earth for example? Or do the dungeons on Earth not scale until you enter those?

Using the Desert I just reached as example. I have explored the main area (MA) you arrive at, and one dungeon (D1) so far without going back to Ward 13 to upgrade so I assume the main area and that dungeon are avg gear +1. If I go back and upgrade, and then come back and explore an area here and find ANOTHER dungeon (D2) (there is a whole chunk I've not explored yet) will that then scale as I'd not entered it like I had D1?

Seems like a simple question, sorry if I am overcomplicating it. Basically Zones scale to avg +1. What is a Zone exactly? All of Earth, or each piece of Earth?

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I say artificially because it's not the boss that is actually difficult or interesting to fight when, in my mind, bossfights are supposed to be a test of the skills you're asked to develop up to that point. When I think back on that fight, I don't remember the boss, I just remember being annoyed by the random exploding mob spawns. You can increase the difficulty of any fight by just throwing more mobs in there but it won't make the fight any more fun or interesting, it often ends up doing the exact opposite.

You are 100% right, and the skills you are asked to develop up to that point are: fight multiple enemies, deal with an elite (or two sometimes) that spawn, utilize the environment, stay alive, do dmg and win. This is exactly that the boss fights are except in a smaller room, with a bigger "elite".

First dungeon (typically) in City; lots of Hollow, some elites, and then exploder dudes running at you. No?

This is exarcerbated by the fact that the hitstun from the explosions can leave you unable to avoid other damage and effectively one shot you. The mobs can also attack you from different direction and while there is a sound cue to indicate that they are in the vicinity you often have very little time to react and pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. Getting killed by something offscreen is never particularly enjoyable. You know what I did have fun with in that fight? Dodging the boss and using my hammer/shotgun combo up close to deal damage (exactly what I picked the class for).

Very true, but the trick is to not get hit by those guys. They have a loud squealing tell. They die in 1 shot from any starting long-gun (and 3 from the repeater pistol), and always spawn at a distance so they can run to you (you can get your bearings then deal with them, etc).

I think it would be fine if there was a way to seal off the spawns if you play solo, it's probably easier to manage with 2 or more people. As it stands I didn't have the same satisfied feeling I usually do after beating a tough bosses in the souls series or other action games like DMC and that's a shame because again, everything else has been a lot of fun.

Totally understandable. I 100% agree that not everyone will have the same experience.

Anyway, those are just my two cents, I'm sure there are others who will feel differently. I know it must be tough to balance bossfights when the player hs an assortment of ranged weapons to fall back on, I just think throwing in more adds feels more like a band-aid fix to the problem. I'm still curious to see how the next bossfights will looks like, maybe it'll be less of an issue there.

Again, the adds were never a bandaid solution. They are part of the puzzle.

Well I knew the adds thing was going to be controversial to say the least. I'd like to say I told you so but really this shouldn't surprise anyone. Adds are a boss designer crutch that has been hated forever. I respect developers, I know games are not easy to make. That being said saying "we had to put the adds in or you could just literally walk away" shows me a larger problem. Instead of going "how can we make an interesting boss" it's clear the design was "ok we made this boss, how can we make it harder?". If bosses like gorefist aren't hard without the adds then, and here's just a suggestion that clearly no one said during the process, DON'T MAKE THAT GUY A BOSS! See how simple that was? Just don't make it a boss. That's just the first thing.

Told us so? We knew some people would have trouble with it. We also knew some people wouldn't have trouble with it. We could have put sprint on LB and someone would have said "you really shouldn't have put sprint on LB, L3 click is standard" and then said "I hate to tell you I told you so". What does that tell us? We already know not everyone will like every decision. We have reasons for adding the mobs. The tuning values might be too high or too low, but they have legitimate purpose. As mentioned, the fights are puzzles in some way. The boss is the ultimate goal, but not the only thing.

2. We need adds for ammo! No you don't. You have ammo boxes, that you can buy. But what happens when you run out of scrap from buying them? OK. I can almost buy this argument except for the fact that damn near every boss inflicts a status in you. And to get them off you need Consumables! So what happens if you run out of scrap from buying Consumables? See how that line of thinking breaks down basically instantly?

What happens when you run out of scrap? We force you to go farm instead of fighting the boss? If you get afflicted by a disease, you can still beat the boss, and if you die, it's gone (note: It didn't use to, LOL). You run out of ammo, then what? You die and try again? What happens if you need more ammo than is required to kill the boss? Ammo box? Scrap problem again.

I'm not saying remnant is a bad game, I'm saying it's a good maybe even great game that has been plagued by really bad design choices. But it's not to late! These things can be fixed, can be changed. Take adds off a timer tie them to boss % health so you have a true add phase. And not just adds all the time.

Perhaps you should look at it as "plagued with design decisions I don't personally agree with". I may look at a piece of art and say "man I really don't agree with the use of RED in this picture... it's just too loud and takes away from the blues and greens" but does it mean the artist is wrong? Am I wrong? Or... do I just not agree with their specific tasted and/or vision.

1st, I lack the ability to be embarrassed. It's a weird personality quirk. 2nd, adds are a shitty boss mechanic. I played wow at a very very high level. There was a time during Wrath of the Lich King where, upon submitting our weekly logs to world of logs, I'd be ranked in the top 15 dps in the world. So I know about positioning, and knowing what mechanics are coming up. Been doing it for literal years and at a level most never attain.

Edit: also I find it telling instead of making counter points to anything I said you just attacked me.

I was the #1 tank DPS in the world (while taking the least damage) on Patchwerk according to Elitist Jerks after Xav put up his video of "look how many buttons a top level tank has to press" or whatever it was. They thought my methods were "cheating" and "went against the spirit of the competition" yet I still did the highest DPS and took the lowest amount of DMG. I was also in a top 15 world guild that did top 15 Algalon.

What does that have anything to do with anything?

Yeah, and his explanations as I pointed out are pretty bad. Also being "ok with the boss adds" isn't the same thing as enjoying them. Or thinking that they are a good mechanic.

In your opinion, right? Or is it just 100% matter of fact?

You are 100% correct that people have complained about it. But it is also 100% fact that not everyone, nor the majority have complained about it. Who's right here? I mean, really, I don't care whos actually right in the end. It comes down to "did you enjoy the game?" and if not, thats super cool. I'm very happy you even tried the game. We put a lot of work into it and I think other people are having a pretty fun time... and that's all we can ask for!

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between having properly scaled adds for a range of player sets versus a catch all add pool. Just saying that you're cool with it because some people enjoy the *neverending* adds on fights like the Mangler is not the right look. It's one of the most annoying things I've come across in any game in my recent memory. We're not complaining just for the hell of it.

Edit: It could be that this feedback blindsided you guys, and that's fine. It happens. But please take it to heart and think about it. It's most definitely not the same as a piece of art with too much color. It's more like we're trying to look at the piece but there's a swarm of flys buzzing around our heads constantly.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Hey tragic I know it's probably not a priority but do you think you guys will be able to look into adding more options to adjust the aiming controls on consoles? Like deadzone, acceleration, etc.?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the time when I finally beat a difficult boss in this game, it doesn't really feel satisfying, because it feels like the only reason I beat it that time was because the add spawns were more forgiving that time around.

My best attempt at The Risen was when the adds stopped spawning for about 20 seconds.