• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DaanMuffin

Oct 31, 2017
Just heard about this on the Bombcast. It sounds super interesting. Does the Dark Souls comparison hold up? What would be a good third person shooter to compare it to?

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I really want to like this game, and there's certain aspects of it that I love. But the endlessly spawning adds in boss fights, particularly when they consistently spawn behind you no matter where you are in the arena, is really killing any drive I have to keep going. Particularly when those enemies are self-destructing assholes who spawn in pairs/trios leading to an instant death if both go off near you at once... The boss fights themselves seem like they'd be fun enough. Why have the adds? Or why not a limited number of adds instead of the constant stream?

Are you talking about the Gorefist fight?

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Are you talking about the Gorefist fight?
Specifically in this case, yes. But the shroud also had it's minions during that fight as well, though they weren't a problem and were barely noticeable most of the time. I assume later fights are going to have the same. The instant death (or stagger followed by death) caused by the exploders In Gorefist's fight just completely takes me out of the flow of things. Again, if it weren't for the fact that they just show up behind me every time, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. But it's already hard enough to keep an eye on more than two enemies at once. Having the boss and up to three of these exploding enemies to keep track of at once becomes incredibly annoying.

Jan 10, 2019
Really on the fence about getting this, but I guess it's best to wait til the issues are ironed out? Any word on how this runs on a base PS4?

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Specifically in this case, yes. But the shroud also had it's minions during that fight as well, though they weren't a problem and were barely noticeable most of the time. I assume later fights are going to have the same. The instant death (or stagger followed by death) caused by the exploders In Gorefist's fight just completely takes me out of the flow of things. Again, if it weren't for the fact that they just show up behind me every time, it wouldn't be as big of a deal. But it's already hard enough to keep an eye on more than two enemies at once. Having the boss and up to three of these exploding enemies to keep track of at once becomes incredibly annoying.

Part of it comes from the RNG affix of the boss. Some people find Shroud + adds insanely hard, others kill him in 35 seconds. For Gorefist, he is very easy to avoid without adds (just walk to his right anytime he Naruto runs at you with his sword). The Spores are there to distract you, but at even level, they should die in 1 Hunting Rifle shot or 3 Repeater Pistol shots. The Spores also pick a location away from you, and if your back is to the wall (or near one) they aren't going to spawn behind you... HOWEVER, when you are in the fight out in the open and turning around a lot, it's very easy to get them from behind.

Of course, I'm not saying adds are good or bad, just that we did tune them to be manageable and they have both logic to prevent certain things from happening (actually spawning behind you if you are near a wall, for example) and hp values to have a specific time-to-kill with every weapon. They are also on a timer, so eventually you can (hopefully) count on when they will show up next and use that time to beast the boss, then get in position for when the spores come.

Let me know if you find any of this to be true or not and I can run some more tests to make sure everything is working as advertised. If it isn't, we can certainly make some changes!

Thanks for the feedback!

chapel

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to me seeing the reactions about adds and how hard/annoying they can be in boss fights. I have not really played many soulsborne games, just DS3 for about quarter of the campaign. I have been loving the game so far and while it can be challenging at times I feel most situations I am to blame for my death.

I've been playing coop mostly and my friends tend to get downed often as they don't dodge well or understand all the available mechanics. For me they act as distraction at times heh.

The adds in boss fights can be annoying but it makes sense why they are there and rarely do I feel it is impossible. Once you get the timing down on the boss attacks and how the adds spawn and swarm, it is just a matter of avoiding and shooting when possible.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I ask again,
some advice for the double boss in the swamp area?
How can i avoid the double scream? It's impossible to do enough damage to both in that short period of time to make them stop, i'm missing something

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I ask again,
some advice for the double boss in the swamp area?
How can i avoid the double scream? It's impossible to do enough damage to both in that short period of time to make them stop, i'm missing something
They have glowing parts in the mouth when they start to load that attack, shoot it and it explodes and cancels the attack. You need to shoot both.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Part of it comes from the RNG affix of the boss. Some people find Shroud + adds insanely hard, others kill him in 35 seconds. For Gorefist, he is very easy to avoid without adds (just walk to his right anytime he Naruto runs at you with his sword). The Spores are there to distract you, but at even level, they should die in 1 Hunting Rifle shot or 3 Repeater Pistol shots. The Spores also pick a location away from you, and if your back is to the wall (or near one) they aren't going to spawn behind you... HOWEVER, when you are in the fight out in the open and turning around a lot, it's very easy to get them from behind.

Of course, I'm not saying adds are good or bad, just that we did tune them to be manageable and they have both logic to prevent certain things from happening (actually spawning behind you if you are near a wall, for example) and hp values to have a specific time-to-kill with every weapon. They are also on a timer, so eventually you can (hopefully) count on when they will show up next and use that time to beast the boss, then get in position for when the spores come.

Let me know if you find any of this to be true or not and I can run some more tests to make sure everything is working as advertised. If it isn't, we can certainly make some changes!

Thanks for the feedback!
Thanks for the quick response!

I can definitely see how Gorefist in particular benefits from having something extra to distract you, as like you said, his actual moveset is very easy to get around. However, I tried every approach I could come up with to test out how the spores kept getting behind me and I caught glimpses of them dropping down on me from above when I had my back to the wall, still managing to get into blind spots by doing that.

Trying to fight up on the catwalks ended up being the way I beat him, but that set me up for getting pincered between the boss, a spore that would run in from behind him, and one that would come in from behind me consistently. They were going down in two or three repeater shots, like you said, but it ultimately just became more effective to let them get close enough to detonate and then roll away as the did; assuming I knew they were there before they blew up.

Last edited:

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I believe the bug has been nailed down but we have to run it through test and the submission progress. Coming real soon, though!
Thank you. Until then i'll just grind the swamp cause I have no solid tactic for The Undying King and im out of ideas to tackle this in Solo. Love the game though and I hope you guys can make it like Semi-warframe where new story bits get added and new worlds. Even if through small paid expansions.

It really is a great title and enjoy the lore / world as it is something unique. Also really thanks for answering all these questions of ours - i'll be writing up a review once the MM has been fixed just to get a clear picture of how co-op is and its difficulties etc

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Reading this thread and the constant complaints people have, I think you guys might need to add an Easy Mode that gives like 50% buffed stats to the player or something tragic
Might allow some people to actually beat the game.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The addition of adds at lower levels is a real annoyance. Just tone them down for easier difficulties and when people have geared up for Hard etc, then start adding them in as another challenge.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The addition of adds at lower levels is a real annoyance. Just tone them down for easier difficulties and when people have geared up for Hard etc, then start adding them in as another challenge.
The adds are part of the boss design. They make the player move, they change your focus from single mindedly shooting the boss and they provide ammo drops + mod energy and (most importantly) they proc the effects where you need to "kill an enemy" during a boss fight.
For example if bosses didn't have adds, then my +25% for 5 seconds after kill and my +3% damage per ranged kill for 5 seconds (stacks up to 5 times) LITERALLY would be useless. Like,I'd have to unequip them and have a different "boss set".

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Somehow this game flew under my radar but it seems interesting. I might pick up a few copies for me and a couple of friends. Does the game have microtransactions, in app purchases and stuff like that or is it mostly ok? The thread has 34 pages already and I'm apparently bad at using the search function because I could only find something about a preorder dlc.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Somehow this game flew under my radar but it seems interesting. I might pick up a few copies for me and a couple of friends. Does the game have microtransactions, in app purchases and stuff like that or is it mostly ok? The thread has 34 pages already and I'm apparently bad at using the search function because I could only find something about a preorder dlc.
There is nothing outside the initial purchase that you can spend money on.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Still asking does anyone else have matchmaking issues on the xbox? Can not find anything about it online. I cant join a match, keeps saying trying to find joinable match.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I kinda feel a little sad for the people who do their first playthrough co-op.
I personally feel the game loses a LOT of the tension and fun in co-op. There's basically no real challenge anymore if you got 2 or even 3 people.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
I personally feel the game loses a LOT of the tension and fun in co-op. There's basically no real challenge anymore if you got 2 or even 3 people.

Yeah I can't agree with that, I been playing until the 3rd zone solo on hard and started another playthrough with 2 friends also on hard ...

Brabus probably took us longer that most bosses I did solo up till then 4-5 adds plus the boss himself nearly oneshooting everyone with his shotgun

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Two more weeks with metal rods in my finger... Hopefully I'll be able to play games again soon after that.
This game will be the first thing I'll buy and play!

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already thinking about my second run. There are lots of alternate choices and ways to kill bosses that I want to try. Great game.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Oh my god that is so not true. Bosses are still plenty hard in multiplayer, and while sections between bosses are not super hard, my friend and I still took plenty of damage in places where we were just overwhelmed.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Oh my god that is so not true. Bosses are still plenty hard in multiplayer, and while sections between bosses are not super hard, my friend and I still took plenty of damage in places where we were just overwhelmed.
Just my personal feelings and experience when trying co-op with my friends.
All of us decided to play through the game solo after trying co-op.
We'll team up (maybe) for future playthrough.

Helixx-gaf

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern PA
The game is hard for someone bad at games like me, but I love the mechanics and the story so far. Having a great time and can't wait for a few friends to pick it up for coop fun.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Reading this thread and the constant complaints people have, I think you guys might need to add an Easy Mode that gives like 50% buffed stats to the player or something tragic
Might allow some people to actually beat the game.

oh come on its been one day since global release. ONE day. besides playing in multiplayer makes the game so much more accessible

what i dont understand about that gorefist fest is that you dont even need to shoot at the adds to kill them. let them come close to you and dodge while they're flashing red if you find that managing them is too stressful or something

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
finally beated the swamp final boss after an entire morning of trying...
i hope his craftable weapon is good or i'm gonna be furious...

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
oh come on its been one day since global release. ONE day. besides playing in multiplayer makes the game so much more accessible

what i dont understand about that gorefist fest is that you dont even need to shoot at the adds to kill them. let them come close to you and dodge while they're flashing red if you find that managing them is too stressful or something
I know. I don't want an easy mode at all for myself.
But looking at so many comments over the weekend, people seem to just not be good at the game and so an easy mode would help them.