• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Thank you. That makes sense. I am not very far, and have basically just been progressing sequentially (doing some solo, and some as 2nd player in a friend's game). I haven't really looked at the crystal's options much yet, and have only used it to travel to and from Ward 13.

With this game, there is a lot of lingo that I feel like I am playing catch up on. "Re roll" seemed kinda intuitive, but I didn't know where the option to do that was or if I was doing something wrong. I also had no idea what "adds" meant until I figured it out through context. I dunno if my old 30 year old brain can't keep up, but there has been a lot that I've had to figure out with this title lol. I have been enjoying it though.

Any game that specifically was created not including microtransactions or loot grinding is a win in my book. The way loot is handled in this game is so much better than the the slot pull nature of a game like Destiny.
I had never heard the term "adds" before either. I'm used to "mobs". Being 30 (31 in my case) is rough isn't it? Lol

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I ended up using a trainer to kill the last boss because it kept bugging and it was pissing me off, not how I wanted to finish the game but it is what it is. I also used it on The Reanimator as it was clearly broken for solo players. It sounds like both those bosses will be fixed which really makes me wish I had waited to play the game. I'm definitely in for RFTA2 if you decide to make a sequel but I'll definitely wait a month or two after release next time.

I finished the game on normal in about 13 hours and overall I enjoyed it, apart from the two bosses I mentioned above I felt the difficulty was spot on for normal, a decent challenge without being overly frustrating (I'm sure hard offers that for those who enjoy it). That being said I didn't really enjoy the boss fights that much, I'm definitely in the add hater camp, I would have preferred more Souls-like bosses, where it's you vs the boss, without annoying adds staggering you. You could put ammo in creates, urns etc in the boss room, or just on the floor ala Resident Evil.

I really enjoyed the trait variety, this actually felt a step up from Souls, you offered a great number of traits so build diversity was solid. I was also satisfied with the array of ranged weapons, although melee definitely felt like an afterthought. I would have liked to have seen more armour sets though, the fashion aspect was definitely lacking.

Technically the game ran well for the most part, I played it on GTX 1080 & 8600k @ 4.4GHz and I was sitting at 80-144fps most of the time on medium at 1080p, I will say the Swamp area was a problem though, lots of drops and an overall choppiness, it really stood out. The audio was good, I found the voice acting fantastic (lip syncing seemed off, though). Visually the game was interesting, I really liked the art style and the mob design was great.

Overall I'd give the game a solid 8/10 once the boss fights are fixed. Good luck to tragic and the team, I expect it'll review quite well.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Got to an event where I need to stay alive while a giant door opens. Problem is I died and now when I go back into that boss room, I can't trigger the event anymore. Good times.

It's the Lost Gantry area.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing for like 2 hours. Got to the sbway and beat the first "dungeon" area and boss with no hassle on normal. Game is A LOT of fun. Well played, devs.

bizzuh

Feb 26, 2019
United States
Strongly considering picking this up after watching Distortion streaming it, it looks like a game laser-target at me. Third person shooter, dark and surreal world, procedural generation, the works. My concern is technical issues pointed out here, I assume the day-one patch will be substantial.

If so, will grab it and try to convince a friend to co-op!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Alright. What do I have to do to get my PS4 to start downloading this thing? It's still not even showing up in the store when I search via the console.

EDIT: Nvm. Restarted the console and it started downloading automagically.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Strange this was not available for pre-loading last night, checked at 11:42pm and nothing but a friend downloaded it at 12:02am so apparently it was there after midnight.

Will have to go home and download/install tonight (32gb)so looks like another night of not getting to play it. I have to say the launch on Ps4 has not been handled very well - no advertising, no pre-loading and no early access like Xbox/PC.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I think I'll grab this tomorrow when my pay cheque goes through. I missed out on preorder bonuses, are they obtainable in the game, or will I forever be missing out by not being an early adopter?

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna wait on the patch to see what balance changes are made. Got to Shroud and he/she/it is kicking my ass. I see why everyone is complaining about adds. Also, double debuffs is bullshit. Shoulda waited for more impressions before i bought this.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
Gonna wait on the patch to see what balance changes are made. Got to Shroud and he/she/it is kicking my ass. I see why everyone is complaining about adds. Also, double debuffs is bullshit. Shoulda waited for more impressions before i bought this.

Did you do any upgrades for your gear so far?
Shroud is pretty managable as you know when the arrow rains come with the sound queue.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't use it yet, the hunter vision is really useful for Shroud to keep track of him (and spot the adds) during the fight. Any boss that disappears in some way it's pretty useful for. It charges quick too (at least with cultist gear) so it has little downtime.

Dec 23, 2017
Kicking the coach gun to the curb has been a success for me (swapped for rifle). Went from issues with bosses to knocking out two and an event tonight.

Hoping for an xbox patch soon for the xp issues, looking at streamers in comparable locations I'm something like 20+ trait levels behind by now and I'm feeling it.

Found a bug with world geometry and scrap drops:
In one of the Rhom alien dungeons, realized the wall things were breakable for scrap. Seems anything above player height, the scrap drops would spawn on a vertical level above me. Which was fine for the times where it was reachable, but about half of the zone was just corridors with no higher level so no scrap.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Was messing around on this game.earlier and decided to teleport back to the church area. I fucking went to the back room and found a purple sniper rifle! My first gun I found outside of the norm starting weapons lol. It's pretty good not even upgraded.

I still haven't leveled my weapons yet and I'm starting to hit a wall at "the gate that slowly opens". I can't do enough damage to the adds and they are getting tanky af.

...I guess it is time to finally upgrade my weapons again. Then I'll stop upgrading and see how far I can make it.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Did you do any upgrades for your gear so far?
Shroud is pretty managable as you know when the arrow rains come with the sound queue.

Yeah, i've upgraded my full armor set and melee once, and both of my guns twice. I may give it another try or two since i was enjoying the game until that point, but man, what a jump.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think the biggest problem with the shroud fight is the arena. It's just hard to find him in there.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game, once you get to the end of the first area just goes "Alright, let's get real weird with it" in terms of some of the weapons and whatnot you can find / craft and in some of the story.

Also just found an accessory that makes Dragon Hearts remove status effects, that seems like it will be super useful on some bosses.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
This game, once you get to the end of the first area just goes "Alright, let's get real weird with it" in terms of some of the weapons and whatnot you can find / craft and in some of the story.

Also just found an accessory that makes Dragon Hearts remove status effects, that seems like it will be super useful on some bosses.
I said I wouldn't do this but I might need to start looking up guides because I only have one new weapon and some ring accessories outside of the stock stuff. I can't find shit!

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said I wouldn't do this but I might need to start looking up guides because I only have one new weapon and some ring accessories outside of the stock stuff. I can't find shit!

Each "world" boss drops a weapon crafting item (normal bosses drop a crafting item for a mod).

For me my weapons were:

Sniper Rifle (this is on the main path I think).
Shotgun with forced grenade launcher mod (my world boss)
SMG with forced flamethrower mod (matchmade into someone else'se world boss that was different)
Laser beam thingy (early optional dungeon in the second world).

My recommendation is to not worry about weapons until you beat the first world, then try some matchmaking to see if you don't luck out into getting a new boss. You will at the very least get a decent amount of scrap out of it.

My acccessories seem to be strewn about rather randomly, handful in sort of out of the way places in the main path, others in optional dungeons.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Currently at Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam.

Absolutely deserved - can't wait to see what the future holds.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I saw that ACG has his review, I will check it asap. Really wonder how fun it is with friends, level variety and how it performs and looks on X.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017

The adds are a distraction in that fight. I struggled the first 5 or so times I fought him. I decided to ignore the adds on my next try and took him down in like 1-2 minutes.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Undying King is complete utter trash cause of all the adds, and glowing orbs that smash you to bits . hope the patch fixes it, or i'll just grind a bit more

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
XBX or Ps4Pro? What's the consensus on performance?
Hoping DF will have a video, now the game has actually launched. 1X seems pretty good but there are drops under 30 when multiple effects kick in. Also, seems there is no HDR, which would be a great addition for the games overall look.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
I had never heard the term "adds" before either. I'm used to "mobs". Being 30 (31 in my case) is rough isn't it? Lol
30/31, your a young pup ;) it's probably just the genre of games you really got into. Adds has been a term for a long time, at least since everquest in the 90's and it probably goes back before that but it has been a staple of mmo lingo for a long time.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i was wondering where this thread was...really just found out about this game when i saw some random ass game on twitch and decided to check it out. It's right up my alley. Put in 4 hours today but I'll be leaving for a whole week of vacation. Can't wait to dive back in when I get back