• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I don't mean disrespect when I say it but it is what it is, saying that it's not a Souls clone would be an understatement. It's far more than just inspiration, from the moment the game begins you can feel the Soul-ness.

But yeah thanks for the reply, tons of people are loving Souls right now so I hope it does well for you guys. It looks like a quality product overall.

I don't think anyone takes the comparison as disrespect (at least I don't). I do think that saying that Remnant is JUST a Souls clone is a uninspired statement.

The question really becomes... "what do you have to take away for it to not be a quote/unquote 'Souls clone'". Remove bonfire so when you die you start back... maybe at the base? When you die, we could force you to refill your heals by purchasing them... but that would be Blood Vials (or many many many others games). We could have changed the upgrade system to require more unique materials for weapons or armors. We could have made it a lot easier (because everyone compares any challenging game to Soulsborne these days... even though every game in the 80s and early 90s was hard as heck!).

Or, another way to look at it would be "what do you have to add?". Guns seem like a pretty big divergence. Also the other stuff I mentioned (mods, armor sets, traits, dynamically generated content, etc).

At the end of the day, are games like Ori or Hollownight just Metroid clones? Shadow Complex? Axiom Verge? Dead Cells? We love the Soulsborne series and we absolutely looked at them for inspiration, but I definitely wouldn't say it's a clone. Then again, I also wouldn't call League a Dota clone (and they play much more similarly than say, DS to REM!).

Anyway, glad you replied!

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'll take a look. Thats weird as heck!

Thanks, I made a video of the issue but it's much harder to see than in-game, but you can still see something is off compared to the pistol animation which is much smoother. https://streamable.com/4y4w9. I've actually had this issue before in Warframe if you ever played that game, the flying enemies that drop the batties which power the pylons have the exact same issue, choppy looking animation as they drop the battery. I noticed it the first time I reloaded the Crossbow so it really sticks out.

Quick question, does the Glutton perk work on the Dragon's Heart, or only consumables?

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
I don't mean disrespect when I say it but it is what it is, saying that it's not a Souls clone would be an understatement. It's far more than just inspiration, from the moment the game begins you can feel the Soul-ness.

But yeah thanks for the reply, tons of people are loving Souls right now so I hope it does well for you guys. It looks like a quality product overall.
Feels more like Resident Evil crossed with loot shooters.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Thanks, I made a video of the issue but it's much harder to see than in-game, but you can still see something is off compared to the pistol animation which is much smoother. https://streamable.com/4y4w9. I've actually had this issue before in Warframe if you ever played that game, the flying enemies that drop the batties which power the pylons have the exact same issue, choppy looking animation as they drop the battery. I noticed it the first time I reloaded the Crossbow so it really sticks out.

Quick question, does the Glutton perk work on the Dragon's Heart, or only consumables?

Thanks! I'll take a look on Monday.

Also, Glutton DOES work on Dragon Hearts. =)

Mar 21, 2018
Are there any "must have" load outs (weapons, armor, mods, etc) that I should aim for at the early stages of the game? I went with the pistol/rifle class and made it to the sewer/underground area (first area after the beginning) and am finding it tough. My weapons are +4 and my armor +1/2.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am stuck. Second world,
Rom, got the quest to find the undying king, but no idea where the key item for the Tower is. I have the entrance to a dungeon blocked by debris, and its the only place i cant get into.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Please, anyone could elighten me, if the monkey key do not spawn in my game, then the only way to obtain it is reseting the world?

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
But I`m not findind the dungeon! That`s my doubt. The dungeon always spawn? Or there are playthroughs where the weapon that this dungeon give will not be accessible?

The way it works is that if the dungeon spawns, the key spawns somewhere in it. At least, that's how it has always worked! If you can't find it, maybe you can send me your save and I can debug it!

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
The way it works is that if the dungeon spawns, the key spawns somewhere in it. At least, that's how it has always worked! If you can't find it, maybe you can send me your save and I can debug it!
Sorry about my insistence, but english is not my primary language and maybe I`m not explaining very well. I want the weapon, and saw a video on youtube about the place where to get it. My map is not the same showed on video, so I ask, the weapon is obtainable in every playthrough? Or is it random like some bosses?

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I played for 9 hours today, I can't remember the last time I played a game for that long in one day.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Gorefist spawns 3-4 adds on a specific timer which all get 1-shot by an equal (or 1-level lower) Hunting Rifle at level 3 on Normal (his minimum level on the default difficulty). Their HP is tuned so they die in a specific amount of time with each weapon (including the Repeater Pistol) at those thresholds.

Shroud, on the other hand, can be defeated by simply ignoring the adds and running around the map to his next spawn location, shooting him in the face, and continuously moving. On normal difficulty with repeated testing with underpowered gear, we've seen him defeated in about 45 seconds consistently - if he doesn't have regenerator or enchanter - and a little more with them."

Unsure which fights you feel are bullet sponges. The normal tuned difficulty has incredibly low HP for every boss. At one point we felt they were too easy but we knew that some players in our playtests still found them to be quite challenging, so we left them. Most of the champion/mini-bosses can be defeated in under 90 seconds on normal with appropriately leveled gear.

I, and I imagine many folks here, are playing on Hard. I can see testing on Normal and I hope the same testing was done on Hard (I can't imagine Nightmare) as I don't have much interest in rerolling the campaign this far in. Gorefist with two and three people was an absolute slog. Yes the adds have an audio tell, but I found myself, more often than not, getting caught by a spawn from behind while trying to keep distance from the boss. The Shroud fight just running from the adds I also guess works, but is that REALLY how you guys designed the fight?

I'm not trying to poo-poo the game, as I'm generally having a good time, but I just feel like this could have spent a bit more time in a few more peoples hands to highlight obvious issues (like the poor matchmaking system).

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Sorry about my insistence, but english is not my primary language and maybe I`m not explaining very well. I want the weapon, and saw a video on youtube about the place where to get it. My map is not the same showed on video, so I ask, the weapon is obtainable in every playthrough? Or is it random like some bosses?

The dungeon does not spawn in every campaign. You might get it, you might not get it. If it's not in your campaign, you might get it the next time you reroll the campaign.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Shroud earlier tonight... It felt like the boss was only hard because of the adds, I hope that isn't indicative of how bosses will be.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
The dungeon does not spawn in every campaign. You might get it, you might not get it. If it's not in your campaign, you might get it the next time you reroll the campaign.
Ah... Ok, thanks! By the way, I really like your game. If I force the reroll of the campaign it will be harder? Or it just scale with my actual equipment?

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I, and I imagine many folks here, are playing on Hard. I can see testing on Normal and I hope the same testing was done on Hard (I can't imagine Nightmare) as I don't have much interest in rerolling the campaign this far in. Gorefist with two and three people was an absolute slog. Yes the adds have an audio tell, but I found myself, more often than not, getting caught by a spawn from behind while trying to keep distance from the boss. The Shroud fight just running from the adds I also guess works, but is that REALLY how you guys designed the fight?

I'm not trying to poo-poo the game, as I'm generally having a good time, but I just feel like this could have spent a bit more time in a few more peoples hands to highlight obvious issues (like the poor matchmaking system).

They were all tested on Normal and Hard from a level 1 fresh start, both in SP and COOP.

For Gorefist, you can also just put your back to a wall near a corner and control the entire room and the entrances. Much easier in coop because you can cover more area.

As for Shroud, no, but you can do it that way.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else having performance issues in the Swamp area on PC? The rest of the game has run really well but the Swamp is choppy AF, it feels like a memory honestly.

EDIT: Lowering Shadows from medium to low gave me a 50FPS increase standing in the same spot, which seems insane, every other setting is 1-2fps.
The FPS drop on the swamp and in the desert can be pure insanity at times ya.

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This final boss sucks. It's buggy as hell.
Why does the portal for Nightmare not appear after being teleported? It works once the first time, or not at all, then it doesn't work the second time I go in it. Does it really want me to kill EVERYTHING before I go back up? Because that's ridiculous. A boss spawn after awhile in there, too.
Am I missing something?

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
This final boss sucks. It's buggy as hell.
Why does the portal for Nightmare not appear after being teleported? It works once the first time, or not at all, then it doesn't work the second time I go in it. Does it really want me to kill EVERYTHING before I go back up? Because that's ridiculous. A boss spawn after awhile in there, too.
Am I missing something?

Sorry about that. Restarting the game should make it appear again. Something we've been trying to nail down!

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Up to 3rd Map now, loving every hour (26 hours played).
I mentioned not liking the camera earlier in the thread but got used to it, now only thing I just want to say is the lack of fashion is disturbing! Still rocking the pre-order Hunter jacket, it's so damn cool, here's hoping I'll find something cooler soon.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Up to 3rd Map now, loving every hour (26 hours played).
I mentioned not liking the camera earlier in the thread but got used to it, now only thing I just want to say is the lack of fashion is disturbing! Still rocking the pre-order Hunter jacket, it's so damn cool, here's hoping I'll find something cooler soon.

I'm with you on the fashion. This is a clear MUST BE ADDRESSED in the future, for me!!! Huge MH fan... I know fashion is #1!

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The FPS drop on the swamp and in the desert can be pure insanity at times ya.

Glad it's not just me, the lowest I spotted was 37fps with a GTX 1080 and 8600k @ 4.4GHz, and that's only on medium settings at 1080p. To be fair it was brief and in general the game runs at 80+ but there's definitely something wrong with the Swamp area.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Watched my buddy play some and man, why do these games have to be such direct clones of Souls.

Bonfires, the same checkpoints system, healing, layout etc., everything looked like a direct copy. It literally felt like Souls with guns (or Bloodborne with a bigger focus on shooting I guess).

Wish it did more of its own thing. I'll probably pass, the Souls formula is getting kinda old for me at this point.

OK, this post made me buy the game. I love Souls so I guess I'll enjoy this

Silent Disco

Oct 26, 2017
USA
tragic

apologize in advance for incoming wall o'text and the comma storm, writing grammar is not strong with this one.

take this for whatever it's worth but i commend you on your involvement with the community, and for me specifically, the further explanations into the underlying game mechanics.

recent posts by people who haven't even played the game and dismissing the game as souls-clone, which in my opinion i take as a negative, are irritating to me and hopefully not taken personally by you or anyone on the development team.

in my observations at this point in gaming it's rare for a game to take no inspiration from any previous game.
combat mechanics or game mechanics in today's games are essentially iterated upon, if i had to guess... i'm not in game development, from what previous games a development team enjoys/likes.

inspiration taken from different games is NOT the same as game "x" - clone.

souls games are sword and/or magic combat and (minus bloodborne and sekiro) focus on medieval fantasy-horror setting/story.
remnant from the ashes is a gun and/or melee combat game and focus on (from what i can tell, haven't finished yet) scientific experiments/exploration events that happened in the 1960's.

remnant from the ashes (from here out i'll use RFTA) has an element of modern science/science-fiction which all of the souls games do not have/attempt.
how accurate the science in RFTA being depicted can be for another discussion but the attempt to use science/science-fiction for the game's story/backstory is something the souls games never attempts.
i enjoyed all the souls games (haven't played sekiro yet) for their combat mechanics but not really a fan of the fantasy-horro-medieval setting.
ideal game would be souls combat mechanic in something like a mass effect universe.
i enjoyed the surge mainly because it attempted a souls combat in modern setting.
i've enjoyed what i've played so far in RFTA but being that this game takes place sometime after the 1960's (i'm guessing, haven't finished yet) and is a gun/melee combat game i'm not seeing the veracity of the souls-clone comments.

i haven't finished the game but the amount of lore/story/background-info found in just ward 13 is pretty cool.
i have no idea where this story goes but the initial hooks have my curiosity to want to find out.

comments regarding frame-rate, crashes and game-mechanics not working properly i get and would guess could be helpful to you or your team.
playing on the xbox one x with game installed on an external SSD, set to 4k and playing on a 4k tv i've only experienced frame-rate issues but that was once and after a long (~3-4 hours) play session.
no crashes experienced by me.
comments from people who haven't even played the game and dismissing the game for whatever reason i do not get.
must be a generational thing as it adds very little to the discussion in my opinion.

quasi tl;dr:
dismissing or drive-by comments from those who haven't played the game that this is another souls-clone irk me.
i hope tragic and team don't take these personal.
personally i commend the development team and their current involvement with the game's community here and elsewhere.
souls games are sword and/or magic combat and (minus bloodborne and sekiro) focus on medieval fantasy-horror setting/story.
remnant from the ashes is a gun and/or melee combat game and focus on (from what i can tell, haven't finished yet) scientific experiments/exploration events that happened in the 1960's.

Last edited:

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
No, everyone can get it.
First get the key card from the first mission
Then open the door in the cellar level below the reactor from the beginning.
Search all the rooms until you find the fuse.
Go 1 Level deeper in the cellar, use the fuse and power the system on.
Open the door with the key card, go back to the fuse box and power it off again .
Go back to the room that you just unlocked last and you can now access the room behind the fan directly on the left.
You can find the master key there which you can now use one floor up at the previously locked door. The SMG is in that room.
Thanks.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any "must have" load outs (weapons, armor, mods, etc) that I should aim for at the early stages of the game? I went with the pistol/rifle class and made it to the sewer/underground area (first area after the beginning) and am finding it tough. My weapons are +4 and my armor +1/2.

Would say just one fast, one hard hitter weapon. You can't really "aim" for anything in this game due to the RNG involved. I would say if you're having a tough time try some matchmaking which gets you bonus exp / scrap, and might get you access to new loot. Each boss drops a unique crafting item so even if say, you end up repeating an area you just did, if you get a different boss you'll be able to craft a new item.

Mod wise I've found the healing one takes way too long to charge, and I can't say staying in one spot to heal up is really all that viable when it's really needed (maybe when done in tankier armor). The mark all enemies one is useful for when a swarm hits / you deal with an elite and want to keep track of it. It also builds up quick and lasts a while.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
At the end of the day, are games like Ori or Hollownight just Metroid clones? Shadow Complex? Axiom Verge? Dead Cells?

Well... yes? They are called "metroidvanias" for a reason. It's less they are clones of metroid, it's just that style of metroid (and SotN) was so specific and groundbreaking that it became it's own genre. It's the same for the Souls games, which are pretty much a genre now so one would take comparisons to them as a good thing I would say.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
One problem I have is that you can't hit every teleporter that you have already accessed.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
OK, this post made me buy the game. I love Souls so I guess I'll enjoy this
It's much faster paced than Souls games are, just a heads up. There's less tit-for-tat pattern recognition with the enemies, and unless I am missing something, there is little to no penalty for dying. The enemies respawn, you retain all of the scrap and materials you've picked up, get kicked to the last crystal you rested at or the entry to the area, and you lose the progression on the weapon mod build up. Those refill as you use the weapon so it's not even a big deal. The structure of the game is completely different than Souls/Sekiro too.

Main hub -> Main world with multiple sectioned-off areas -> Sub dungeons in each area

The main world and dungeons are randomly generated, but remain the same each time you enter from the hub unless you reroll the campaign. Nothing too crazy though, the first area in your main world might have two sub dungeons while mine has one and it's all laid out differently.

Only reroll if you haven't upgraded your weapons though because it'll re-scale the enemies to +1 above your gear score. I kept rerolling to try and get some different loot early on because I couldn't beat the first boss I came across and ended up not being able to upgrade my gear without grinding forever. Restarted with a new character because of it.

Still love it though...16 hours in since Friday. It just feels so damn good to play.

Last edited:

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
tragic

quasi tl;dr:
dismissing or drive-by comments from those who haven't played the game that this is another souls-clone irk me.
i hope tragic and team don't take these personal.
personally i commend the development team and their current involvement with the game's community here and elsewhere.

Appreciate your comments. Don't worry, we don't take it personally. It happens to games we adore, so we knew it would happen to us as well.

Well... yes? They are called "metroidvanias" for a reason. It's less they are clones of metroid, it's just that style of metroid (and SotN) was so specific and groundbreaking that it became it's own genre. It's the same for the Souls games, which are pretty much a genre now so one would take comparisons to them as a good thing I would say.

Exactly, but they aren't called direct clones, right? That is my point. We don't mind being compared to Soulsborne... or even being called a Soulslike. I was simply saying that we aren't "such direct clones of Souls". That's all. =)

Oct 25, 2017
Final boss:
chest
never opened for me and my friends despite us coming out of the
portal dealing like 12k damage
. Have loved the game so far, but super shitty to have such a lame end boss spoil things this bad. Also, my two friends are never allowed to rez me until we restart the instance. So fucking buggy, man.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Game is great, stuck in the swamp right now. Only issue is, undying king is too hard and the lack of head,chest and feet pieces.
I also cant seem to find any sessions on the xbox, don't know what the problem is.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking the reason it is hard to find people is because the game didn't officially launch yet?

Broken Locks

Dec 10, 2018
I had no idea what this game was until an hour or so ago. A quick read up and a youtube vid or 2 later, and I'm in. Looks right up my alley.

Any reason I can't pre-order on Aus psn? Searching for it brings up nothing.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Just killed final boss, do i just re-roll campaign from here to start over?

Achievements seem bugged though, didn't get one for killing last boss and have also upgraded my Dragon Heart twice without getting the corresponding achievement.