• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Put about 16 hours in since the launch and I enjoy the combat, the overall loop is engaging and the variety is pretty good. My main issue is that the game would have been way more engaging and interesting if it were a more traditional loot shooter. Combat is solid but killing feels a bit anti-climatic when everyone drops ammo/scrap. Even finding chests feels soulless when they pop open and just scrap and iron drop out. Killing bosses for gear is interesting but just having a box pop up with a part also feels a bit meh. knowing I have to run back to base, craft the item and then go back to use it is one of the main reasons Anthem got smacked down for (Later fixed, I know)

I am certainly going to put way more hours into the game but as it stands, I don't see it being my main lootshooter, especially with bigger games around the corner.
I'm the opposite. Really dislike those color loot scheme (green, blue, purple, orange etc). Basically the same weapons with different stats droping the entire game. Remnant opt for a Dark Souls approach. The weapons are really unique. I loved this method.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Add me to the list of fuck the undying king people. Jesus christ
Yeah it was a challenge, but after thinking it through a bit more and taking a breather I beat him. My strat was:
- weapons were the beam rifle and the radiation-shotgun-pistol thing
- kill the four soldiers with the shotgun and then beam the boss in the head, focusing his turrets as soon as he spawns them
- when ever he summons fresh soldiers kill them ASAP from behind the cover of the pillars. Always focus the adds first where you can
- however, the boss occasionally goes melee mode and if he lands his first hit he'll combo you likely to death. Try and be aware of where he is when he changes to melee as you clear adds. Do not panic, when he jumps at you he can't do damage so don't move yet. Roll at/through his first melee after he lands and if it doesn't hit he won't swing again, and you can backpedal and blast his face til he goes back to normal
- after doing a certain amount of damage (I think it's around 50%) he will spawn in the weaker melee adds, and he'll go back to his throne and heal. There are a finite amount of adds, so I'd recommend going and standing up on the throne behind the boss and clearing the adds as they come at you, and after they run out wail on the boss til his health is gone
- unfortunately he'll then self-Rez with about half health and you'll need to burst him down again. A lot of adds are going to spawn, both soldiers and melee scrubs, and he'll start throwing up turrets again. The alternative fire of the shotgun I was using does pretty good damage (it shoots bursts of stronger projectiles that ricochet) so if you can save up five of those and do as much damage as you can as soon as he rezzes. Then alternate with clearing adds and finishing him off. If you get in trouble hop off the left or right side of the throne and push back to the front of the room, heal up, clear adds, rinse repeat.

Was definitely the hardest boss in the game for me, but the item you can make after beating him is worth it.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the opposite. Really dislike those color loot scheme (green, blue, purple, orange etc). Basically the same weapons with different stats droping the entire game. Remnant opt for a Dark Souls approach. The weapons are really unique. I loved this method.

Yeah I'm the same here, after my initial disappointment over loot variety I quickly warmed up to the combat and weaponry system.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was a challenge, but after thinking it through a bit more and taking a breather I beat him. My strat was:
- weapons were the beam rifle and the radiation-shotgun-pistol thing
- kill the four soldiers with the shotgun and then beam the boss in the head, focusing his turrets as soon as he spawns them
- when ever he summons fresh soldiers kill them ASAP from behind the cover of the pillars. Always focus the adds first where you can
- however, the boss occasionally goes melee mode and if he lands his first hit he'll combo you likely to death. Try and be aware of where he is when he changes to melee as you clear adds. Do not panic, when he jumps at you he can't do damage so don't move yet. Roll at/through his first melee after he lands and if it doesn't hit he won't swing again, and you can backpedal and blast his face til he goes back to normal
- after doing a certain amount of damage (I think it's around 50%) he will spawn in the weaker melee adds, and he'll go back to his throne and heal. There are a finite amount of adds, so I'd recommend going and standing up on the throne behind the boss and clearing the adds as they come at you, and after they run out wail on the boss til his health is gone
- unfortunately he'll then self-Rez with about half health and you'll need to burst him down again. A lot of adds are going to spawn, both soldiers and melee scrubs, and he'll start throwing up turrets again. The alternative fire of the shotgun I was using does pretty good damage (it shoots bursts of stronger projectiles that ricochet) so if you can save up five of those and do as much damage as you can as soon as he rezzes. Then alternate with clearing adds and finishing him off. If you get in trouble hop off the left or right side of the throne and push back to the front of the room, heal up, clear adds, rinse repeat.

Was definitely the hardest boss in the game for me, but the item you can make after beating him is worth it.

Where do I get the beam rifle?

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
where is the key for the door in the ward13? i saw cohh finding a nice hand machine gun, is it random?
No, everyone can get it.
First get the key card from the first mission
Then open the door in the cellar level below the reactor from the beginning.
Search all the rooms until you find the fuse.
Go 1 Level deeper in the cellar, use the fuse and power the system on.
Open the door with the key card, go back to the fuse box and power it off again .
Go back to the room that you just unlocked last and you can now access the room behind the fan directly on the left.
You can find the master key there which you can now use one floor up at the previously locked door. The SMG is in that room.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Secret Puzzle Spoiler:
I just did the puzzle in the desert where you have to walk on the tiles in a specific pattern to unlock the door, it was super annoying but I'm glad I did it, the armour looks awesome and it gives 13% damage which is huge.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Bleh I gotta say, this game has a fun overall gameplay loop/mechanics, but so many of the boss fights essentially boiling down to "manageable boss mechanics plus an overwhelming amount of adds" is getting old.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Bleh I gotta say, this game has a fun overall gameplay loop/mechanics, but so many of the boss fights essentially boiling down to "manageable boss mechanics plus an overwhelming amount of adds" is getting old.

Yup, without a doubt the weakest part of an otherwise great game.

Question, is it normal I haven't found a single Simulacrum in about 7 hours of playtime?
The old woman mentioned to me that she can upgrade my heart ages ago but I still haven't found one. I just killed Claviger.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Secret Puzzle Spoiler:
I just did the puzzle in the desert where you have to walk on the tiles in a specific pattern to unlock the door, it was super annoying but I'm glad I did it, the armour looks awesome and it gives 13% damage which is huge.
Did you find the solution where you were supposed to or just trial and error?

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
wih3u5n.jpg

So between this and the simulucrum needed to augment a weapon at the highest level, guess I found some enjoyable time sink

Also in regards to the observations toward augmenting boss weapons : they only got 10 levels. And its not just the base damage that makes them good, the crit chance on some of them is pretty sick too

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
People seem 50/50 on the boss adds.

Reviews should be interesting.

I went from Day 1 to holding off because of that.

Adds aren't remotely an issue with the amount of stuff you got at disposal outside of shooting at them. + being a souls inspired shooter, if you play skilfully and actually hit weak spots they'll melt so I cant understand whats bad about that design decision.

Some adds specifically reach you then explode if you dont shoot at them first, so you have to compose with that. either you let them come close or explode them

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Did you find the solution where you were supposed to or just trial and error?

I worked it out, basically if the tile stays down it's correct, so you just have to keep finding the correct tile, starting again from the middle tile if you get the wrong one, eventually you'll learn the pattern. Took me awhile but if your memory is bad you can just write it down as it doesn't change.

I just got to the swamp around and I've died 4 times to trash already, it seems INSANELY difficult, a massive jump up from anything I've done in the game so far.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I worked it out, basically if the tile stays down it's correct, so you just have to keep finding the correct tile, starting again from the middle tile if you get the wrong one, eventually you'll learn the pattern. Took me awhile but if your memory is bad you can just write it down as it doesn't change.

I just got to the swamp around and I've died 4 times to trash already, it seems INSANELY difficult, a massive jump up from anything I've done in the game so far.
Or you could have
looked around and found the correct order carved into a wall by the monolith :P

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Im really liking the game, it kind of bugs me that it could be so much better. I hope we see a Remnant 2.

The final boss is pure and absolute Sh*t. Idk if it's not as bad playing coop, but solo it's the worst. Boring af. It takes ages to kill it.

edit: i was stupid. With the potion than stops dragonrot you can get to 10 in the spoopy dimension, making the fight almost the easiest in the game

Last edited:

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017

The solution is hidden in plain sight very close to the tower, and really annoying when you find it randomly after trial and error haha.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Adds aren't remotely an issue with the amount of stuff you got at disposal outside of shooting at them. + being a souls inspired shooter, if you play skilfully and actually hit weak spots they'll melt so I cant understand whats bad about that design decision.

Some adds specifically reach you then explode if you dont shoot at them first, so you have to compose with that. either you let them come close or explode them

That, is a pretty definitive statement. I have done the Shroud and Gorefist fights and the CONSTANT add spawning really mars otherwise good fights. I'm not against adds spawning, but spawning so frequently and doing so much damage if you manage to get caught in an awkward corner really stinks. This says nothing of the bosses themselves being bullet sponges.

I'm fine with the adds being a resource that the game has to spawn otherwise the player will likely run out of ammo, but there were probably better ways to do this system. The Shroud fight in particular is really emblematic of this "issue."

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Shits so good. But I hate how the smg kills the frame rate. Hopefully that is fixed soon

Yup. Known issue. Fix is coming soon. Apologies for that one!!!

So uhhhh, one of my EXP boosts that said it would last for 2h lasted only for 10mins 🤔 🤔

Known bug with it not refreshing. Should have a fix for that soon. If you use it while you have another one up, it won't refresh it like some of the other buffs do. We will get that fixed!

Secret Puzzle Spoiler:

It also stacks... 3x. =O

Yup, without a doubt the weakest part of an otherwise great game.

Question, is it normal I haven't found a single Simulacrum in about 7 hours of playtime?
The old woman mentioned to me that she can upgrade my heart ages ago but I still haven't found one. I just killed Claviger.

There's one in each world, and an extra one available somewhere else.

This is definitely something I see mentioned a lot. While I agree we have a lot of adds, we have them for reasons (mainly to give you infinite ammo regenerating potential - but also to distract you from otherwise easy-to-manage boss mechanics). The game is ranged (mostly) and you don't need to be right up close in melee range to most enemies. Generally speaking, unless we made the bosses extremely hard to hit, or had insanely accurate aim, or straight up bullet sponges, they'd be mostly trivial. Of course, we can always change up the way we do SOME of the bosses, but even in something like Destiny, they constantly spawn adds (often for ammo, often to distract you from doing something that would normally be quite easy otherwise).

While working on the sequences, we knew this and made sure to give you a ton of ways to mitigate adds. Some mods (and weapons) are specifically designed for this purpose. The spawn patterns are generally quite predictable and work on timers that can be realized over time. As we move forward with new bosses and content, we will reassess what people liked and didn't like and make the appropriate changes. We can even tune the current bosses... it's all straightforward!

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Been stuck on a certain boss for the last few hours holy fuuuuck. Game is great but this boss is tough.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
That, is a pretty definitive statement. I have done the Shroud and Gorefist fights and the CONSTANT add spawning really mars otherwise good fights. I'm not against adds spawning, but spawning so frequently and doing so much damage if you manage to get caught in an awkward corner really stinks. This says nothing of the bosses themselves being bullet sponges.

I'm fine with the adds being a resource that the game has to spawn otherwise the player will likely run out of ammo, but there were probably better ways to do this system. The Shroud fight in particular is really emblematic of this "issue."

Gorefist spawns 3-4 adds on a specific timer which all get 1-shot by an equal (or 1-level lower) Hunting Rifle at level 3 on Normal (his minimum level on the default difficulty). Their HP is tuned so they die in a specific amount of time with each weapon (including the Repeater Pistol) at those thresholds.

Shroud, on the other hand, can be defeated by simply ignoring the adds and running around the map to his next spawn location, shooting him in the face, and continuously moving. On normal difficulty with repeated testing with underpowered gear, we've seen him defeated in about 45 seconds consistently - if he doesn't have regenerator or enchanter - and a little more with them."

Unsure which fights you feel are bullet sponges. The normal tuned difficulty has incredibly low HP for every boss. At one point we felt they were too easy but we knew that some players in our playtests still found them to be quite challenging, so we left them. Most of the champion/mini-bosses can be defeated in under 90 seconds on normal with appropriately leveled gear.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
On fairness tragic using the destiny as an example of games with lots of boss adds is a bad idea. Go to any forum/reddit and look at a list of least favorite bosses. It's the ones with crazy amounts of adds. Not just a few here and there but ones that constantly spawn for an entire encounter. Been that way since D1 and people still hate it in d2.

That said it's strange. You guys have an answer to this already in the game. The ammo boxes. Seems strange to have them and have adds there for for ammo reasons.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the adds I think it just needs better tuning. Removing them completely doesn't seem like a very fun thing as these bosses alone are mildly challenging at best.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
So all of my gear has been +5 for a bit now and I can't seem to get forged iron in any new area, all that keeps dropping is regular iron.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched my buddy play some and man, why do these games have to be such direct clones of Souls.

Bonfires, the same checkpoints system, healing, layout etc., everything looked like a direct copy. It literally felt like Souls with guns (or Bloodborne with a bigger focus on shooting I guess).

Wish it did more of its own thing. I'll probably pass, the Souls formula is getting kinda old for me at this point.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it normal being on the second world and only having one piece of armor drop?

Nov 8, 2017
I'm over 20 hours in and my thoughts haven't changed. This is definitely one of my favorite games this year. Bravo.

I only started looking into the game because my friend was interested. Personally, none of the YouTube videos or streams made this look interesting. But, I figured I could refund if I needed to since this is still technically a preorder. And now, I'm ready to buy DLCs and support the development of Remnant even further. Just a complete 180 since I started actually playing it.

Much fun. Can't wait to continue playing.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
On fairness tragic using the destiny as an example of games with lots of boss adds is a bad idea. Go to any forum/reddit and look at a list of least favorite bosses. It's the ones with crazy amounts of adds. Not just a few here and there but ones that constantly spawn for an entire encounter. Been that way since D1 and people still hate it in d2.

That said it's strange. You guys have an answer to this already in the game. The ammo boxes. Seems strange to have them and have adds there for for ammo reasons.

I honestly can't remember a single boss in Destiny 2 (I played up till Osirus) that didn't spawn adds. I could be wrong, for sure, but yea... I enjoyed the heck out of that game, INCLUDING the entire Leviathan raid (which I did about a million times on both PS4 and PC). Standard Bearers: ADDS. Royal Pools: ADDS (personally loved this). Pleasure Gardens: ADDS (first to clear to get ammo up, secondly to give the beamers something to do). Gauntlet: ADDS. Calus... ADDS upstairs... ADDS downstairs (absolutely loved this fight, too).

Strikes? Same thing.

Gears of War (every version) does the same thing in many cases. Borderlands. Same. Now, I'm not saying it can't be done (clearly it can be) but there's a reason many/most shooters have adds in their fights...

Shooting is a very simple mechanic. Aim, shoot, get out of the way of incoming stuff, then profit (even easier when you have a true iFrame dodge). Adds are there to slow down the "profit" part of the equation. They are there to distract you, let you build up mod power (in our game, in Destiny, BL, etc), and make you take your eye off the boss so it doesn't become "just stand behind this pillar and then wait till they stop shooting." People often say "Souls focuses on bosses and not the adds". Very true, but you usually have to stay close to the boss (in harm's way)... and when you aren't (when you have a "gun"...aka spellcasting) the vast majority of the bosses become a cakewalk.

As for the in-game solution, ammo boxes cost money. You can run out of money. You then have to leave what you are doing to go farm money to buy ammo boxes so you can proceed. We found that it felt bad to grind up money just to "waste" it on something over and over. They are quality of life additions (and are also there because ammo is not shared). We generally keep our respawn points close to the boss so you can dive right back in and try again... no 2-3 min runback, no restocking core elements (another reason we give you 100% ammo when you revive).

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Is anyone else having performance issues in the Swamp area on PC? The rest of the game has run really well but the Swamp is choppy AF, it feels like a memory honestly.

EDIT: Lowering Shadows from medium to low gave me a 50FPS increase standing in the same spot, which seems insane, every other setting is 1-2fps.

Last edited:

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't remember a single boss in Destiny 2 (I played up till Osirus) that didn't spawn adds. I could be wrong, for sure, but yea... I enjoyed the heck out of that game, INCLUDING the entire Leviathan raid (which I did about a million times on both PS4 and PC). Standard Bearers: ADDS. Royal Pools: ADDS (personally loved this). Pleasure Gardens: ADDS (first to clear to get ammo up, secondly to give the beamers something to do). Gauntlet: ADDS. Calus... ADDS upstairs... ADDS downstairs (absolutely loved this fight, too).

Strikes? Same thing.

Gears of War (every version) does the same thing in many cases. Borderlands. Same. Now, I'm not saying it can't be done (clearly it can be) but there's a reason many/most shooters have adds in their fights...

Shooting is a very simple mechanic. Aim, shoot, get out of the way of incoming stuff, then profit (even easier when you have a true iFrame dodge). Adds are there to slow down the "profit" part of the equation. They are there to distract you, let you build up mod power (in our game, in Destiny, BL, etc), and make you take your eye off the boss so it doesn't become "just stand behind this pillar and then wait till they stop shooting." People often say "Souls focuses on bosses and not the adds". Very true, but you usually have to stay close to the boss (in harm's way)... and when you aren't (when you have a "gun"...aka spellcasting) the vast majority of the bosses become a cakewalk.

As for the in-game solution, ammo boxes cost money. You can run out of money. You then have to leave what you are doing to go farm money to buy ammo boxes so you can proceed. We found that it felt bad to grind up money just to "waste" it on something over and over. They are quality of life additions (and are also there because ammo is not shared). We generally keep our respawn points close to the boss so you can dive right back in and try again... no 2-3 min runback, no restocking core elements (another reason we give you 100% ammo when you revive).

Having adds is one thing. But having them for the entire fight is another. The bosses that people hate are the ones where they always spawn. The ones people don't mind are the ones that work like phase transitions. Adds spawns at a % of the boss health. You kill them while avoiding the boss then focus back on the boss.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Watched my buddy play some and man, why do these games have to be such direct clones of Souls.

Bonfires, the same checkpoints system, healing, layout etc., everything looked like a direct copy. It literally felt like Souls with guns (or Bloodborne with a bigger focus on shooting I guess).

Wish it did more of its own thing. I'll probably pass, the Souls formula is getting kinda old for me at this point.

I think the "direct clone" is a bit of an overstatement. I mean, we do have stuff like; set bonuses, mods, traits, co-op synegies, and most importantly, guns. We also focus on replayability that lets you see new quests, bosses, world bosses, layouts that weren't in your first playthrough.

Then again, right off the top, it's a shooting-focused game while Soulsborne is clearly not.

Now, in your defense, we do have the bonfire, an automatic (on death) refilling stock of heals, generally challenging gameplay (the #1 way to be compared to a Souls!), and we have a reletively straightforward upgrade system with a few tiers of increasing materials... but I don't think that really makes it "a direct clone of Souls". I'd say that a direct clone of Souls would be closer to Lords of the Fallen (which I actually really enjoyed outside of the bosses - so much potential) or even Salt & Sanctuary (which I also love!).

But... it was a huge inspiration for us, along with Terarria, Diablo, and many other games. We definitely don't mind the comparison!

Anyway, at the end of the day, it's not for everyone. Totally respect your opinion but I do think you are missing out for not giving it a try. Maybe when it's on sale you can give it a go and swing by and let us know how you feel once you sink a few hours into it. I definitely look forward to hearing from you if you do!

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the "direct clone" is a bit of an overstatement. I mean, we do have stuff like; set bonuses, mods, traits, co-op synegies, and most importantly, guns. We also focus on replayability that lets you see new quests, bosses, world bosses, layouts that weren't in your first playthrough.

Then again, right off the top, it's a shooting-focused game while Soulsborne is clearly not.

Now, in your defense, we do have the bonfire, an automatic (on death) refilling stock of heals, generally challenging gameplay (the #1 way to be compared to a Souls!), and we have a reletively straightforward upgrade system with a few tiers of increasing materials... but I don't think that really makes it "a direct clone of Souls". I'd say that a direct clone of Souls would be closer to Lords of the Fallen (which I actually really enjoyed outside of the bosses - so much potential) or even Salt & Sanctuary (which I also love!).

But... it was a huge inspiration for us, along with Terarria, Diablo, and many other games. We definitely don't mind the comparison!

Anyway, at the end of the day, it's not for everyone. Totally respect your opinion but I do think you are missing out for not giving it a try. Maybe when it's on sale you can give it a go and swing by and let us know how you feel once you sink a few hours into it. I definitely look forward to hearing from you if you do!

I don't mean disrespect when I say it but it is what it is, saying that it's not a Souls clone would be an understatement. It's far more than just inspiration, from the moment the game begins you can feel the Soul-ness.

But yeah thanks for the reply, tons of people are loving Souls right now so I hope it does well for you guys. It looks like a quality product overall.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
As someone who has played and beaten all Soulsborne games I can safely say RFTA isn't a direct Souls clone, that's being very harsh on the game. Lords of the Fallen is a good example of a Souls clone, one that also didn't manage to hit any of the high notes of a Souls game which made it feel like a cheap copy which is why I dsiliked it so much, whereas RFTA does a lot right, you can definitely feel the inspiration but that's not a bad thing at all. I'd defintely put RFTA way above Lords, as well as The Surge when it comes to Souls-like games, it's probably the best effort in the genre not made by FROM.

tragic I just got the Devastor Crossbow and the reload animation looks awful, like it's being animated at 30fps, it's all stuttery, is this normal? The other guns do not have this issue, it stands out like a sore thumb.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really isn't all that Souls-like. It feels more and more like just a more focused action RPG (jn the vein of isometric ones). It just happens to be a TPS one. In the moment to moment it feels lot more like even say, Left 4 Dead or Vermintide with the way the game seeks to direct action.