• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Another boss down. Fucking giant

Tree

His airstrike/middle launching thingy was a pain but once I figured out it hurts the adds as a well? All I did was let him kill his own minions. Sucked that I couldn't pick up the ammo they dropped because of the gas clouds the adds left behind lingers so long wtf. Beat his ass tho with a few ammo packs. Still haven't leveled yet. We'll see how this goes.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017

Tree

His airstrike/middle launching thingy was a pain but once I figured out it hurts the adds as a well? All I did was let him kill his own minions. Sucked that I couldn't pick up the ammo they dropped because of the gas clouds the adds left behind lingers so long wtf. Beat his ass tho with a few ammo packs. Still haven't leveled yet. We'll see how this goes.
So u not leveling gear either right?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This last boss fucking sucks. Great game but I'm running into a serious wall and it's completely and totally unfun. :(

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Areas have level ranges, so i wouldn't skip leveling up. Check the detailed stats on the Character Menu to see how your gear compares to the current area. If it's a white diamond, then you're good, anything red and you need to start leveling up.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Are we sure about that?
From a dev: https://www.reddit.com/r/remnantgam...point_of_upgrading_weapons_and_armor/ex8f3x3/

Every area has a minimum level. If you do not upgrade your weapons and armor, you will get destroyed. Example: World Boss for City is level 5 minimum. If you don't uprgade anything and get to the World Boss, they will be level 5, you will be level 1 or 2. You'll be doing way less damage, taking way more damage.

You absolutely have to upgrade.

On top of that, you get Mods, Traits, Armor Skills, Items, etc... which enemies do not. While each time they scale up in a new zone, you overpower them with your combination of gear and traits.

EDIT: I put up a post on how it works, exactly. https://www.reddit.com/r/remnantgame/comments/crs0i3/level_scaling_information/

Basically upgrade whenever you can. That's what i've been doing and i've had zero issues with scaling.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Just purchased!

Shame it seems 21:9/Ultrawide support is just the usual zoomed in and there is no FOV changed to help.

Oddly I can't even set the game to 2560x1440 as it seems to solely enjoy taking my desktop resolution.

Hopefully add some proper 21:9/Ultrawide support please!

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Put about 16 hours in since the launch and I enjoy the combat, the overall loop is engaging and the variety is pretty good. My main issue is that the game would have been way more engaging and interesting if it were a more traditional loot shooter. Combat is solid but killing feels a bit anti-climatic when everyone drops ammo/scrap. Even finding chests feels soulless when they pop open and just scrap and iron drop out. Killing bosses for gear is interesting but just having a box pop up with a part also feels a bit meh. knowing I have to run back to base, craft the item and then go back to use it is one of the main reasons Anthem got smacked down for (Later fixed, I know)

I am certainly going to put way more hours into the game but as it stands, I don't see it being my main lootshooter, especially with bigger games around the corner.

Reektan

Oct 30, 2017
Small image below showing the difference of losing vertical view when using Ultrawide 3440x1440. Sad times :( The FOV is so zoomed in it ends up making you feel nausea.

Will hope this gets patched.

yJRvNdb.jpg

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing this more and I think once it's released it's going to be really really divisive. The people who enjoy doing the hardest Soulsborne runs will enjoy it. But people who enjoy the challenge but want to be able to make it a little easier through grinding aren't. Why do I say this?

1. The first time you zone into a new area, be it a dungeon or other area, the game scans your gear and scales the level to +1 above you. Weapons/Armor can only go to +20. So you level everything to +1 to get on even Keel with the first area. Then you get to the first boss. You try and try and try, but can't beat him. So you level your gear to +2. Now the boss is +1 and you are +2. If you beat it great! If not you go up to +3. The boss is still +1. You beat it! Now the new area you enter after the boss is +4. So you get to the second boss. Wow you get stuck again. So you level up twice to get back above the boss. Now you are +6 (you have now spent more than 1/4th of all your level ups and you are only 2 bosses into a game with dozens). Now there is another way to get stronger! Traits! But that takes me to point 2.

2. Traits can only be leveled 20 times. And while there are some traits you can find through exploring many are found through events and bosses. Each character starts with 3. 1 for health. 1 for stamina and 1 for your archetype. So if you get stuck on a boss but DON'T wanna try and outlevel it. You simply level up to it so you are on even Keel but still get stuck you can level traits. But since traits can only go up 20 times total there is a cap there too. None of the early traits help ranged damage (except for the one you get for hitting weak spots that I've found)

3. You can't just sit on upgrades because each area has a minimum level. So it's almost impossible to just save upgrades for when you really need them for bosses. Now I saw almost because some dev is going to say "you Can go through the game without them". Well sure it's possible. Just like that death knight in wow that solos 10 man raid bosses that are current while other 10 man groups still struggle to beat them. Just because someONE can doesn't mean that should be said "well that one person did it everything is fine as is"

These points are going to upset a lot of people. Lots of people love the soulsborne games because while hard, the challenge can be overcome multiple ways. Remnant is a soulsborne game in rails. You play how THEY want you to play and if you don't like it oh well. Literally nothing you can do about it.

Edit: tragic i wanted to tag you to ensure you see it and to comment if I put information here that isn't correct. I don't believe I have but I want to ensure the information is right.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Any game with any kind of challenge is "divisive" especially on ERA.

Like, this game is just a third person shooter with some interesting abilities (the mods) and some really cool and fun weapons.
The whole upgrading thing is such an afterthought, like, you can't fuck it up. The game literally shits material at you, hell, they got a vendor in there that sells you huge piles of your upgrade material every like 15minutes or so. Like, the upgrading just "happens". There isn't any huge thought here or resource management or whatever. You can even just grind for scrap and buy the materials if you are low on one. At no point did I ever have to go "oh man, i really should worry about my upgrading!" cause you just do it whenever you go back to base.
I mean, you don't even lose anything if you die. Like, one of the main challenges they could have put into a game where you gather resources isn't even in the game! You literally lose nothing!
You got add control mods, even mods that grab aggro or spawn adds that help you. You got defensive mods, offensive mods. You can switch your equipment to suit the fight you are fighting. Hell, you can easily grind so much you can level up every single piece of equipment you have so you never have to worry about switching.

Like, I just don't see it. I don't see the supposed crazy challenge.

Last edited:

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Any game with any kind of challenge is "divisive" especially on ERA.

Like, this game is just a third person shooter with some interesting abilities (the mods) and some really cool and fun weapons.
The whole upgrading thing is such an afterthought, like, you can't fuck it up. The game literally shits material at you, hell, they got a vendor in there that sells you huge piles of your upgrade material every like 15minutes or so. Like, the upgrading just "happens". There isn't any huge thought here or resource management or whatever. You can even just grind for scrap and buy the materials if you are low on one. At no point did I ever have to go "oh man, i really should worry about my upgrading!" cause you just do it whenever you go back to base.
I mean, you don't even lose anything if you die. Like, one of the main challenges they could have put into a game where you gather resources isn't even in the game! You literally lose nothing!
You got add control mods, even mods that grab aggro or spawn adds that help you. You got defensive mods, offensive mods. You can switch your equipment to suit the fight you are fighting. Hell, you can easily grind so much you can level up every single piece of equipment you have so you never have to worry about switching.

Like, I just don't see it. I don't see the supposed crazy challenge.

But those mods don't just materialize. If you end up stuck on shroud for 3 hours like some people you could really really screw yourself by spamming upgrades because once you get to +20,no more upgrades. Period.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
But those mods don't just materialize. If you end up stuck on shroud for 3 hours like some people you could really really screw yourself by spamming upgrades because once you get to +20,no more upgrades. Period.
If you get stuck on Shroud for 3 hours, then no upgrade in the world will help you.
Like, this really isn't a mechanically or stat heavy game.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
If you get stuck on Shroud for 3 hours, then no upgrade in the world will help you.
Like, this really isn't a mechanically or stat heavy game.
I didn't even fight shroud. I got the Brute. But you should go look on reddit and in the discord. It happened to a ton of people. Also this attitude of "well nothing will help you" is why the soulsborne community is considered so damned toxic. Let's not help perpetuate that junk.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017

Tree

Just beat this after a solid hour and a half of solo attempts.

Game is fun but frustrating. I want to love it, but I've already played it for 8 hrs, and at least 3 of that was banging my head against the wall on 2 bosses. Too many minions, not fun. Im enjoying the world and exploration, but the bosses are a serious slog.

I got to the point where I just wanted help, had my game set on Public the entire Boss sequences, and zilch, no one. My NAT is open, and I have no problem playing any other game online.

I'm enjoying it, but this will be nothing that will hold my attention when the deluge of games happens in SEPT.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Just found out about this game. Looks really neat and right up my alley.

Is the early access for pre-orders available on PS4?

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Yeah the add spam in the game is NOT fun. Like at all. I will have to agree with a previous comment that it seems this has been done to add artificial difficulty into certain boss/encounters. I restarted a character because I wanted to try something else out and am not playing on solo, and the add spam on the Nexus Roots plus the regeneration of health is just silly. Couple this with no maximum cap for scaling and traits at lower levels not seeming to make up for that "edge" the developer was talking about and some of these modes can be a bit of a pain.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
This game feels scary to play solo lol. Haven't gone far from the "entrance" of the hub world, just got to the second dungeon and am getting my ass kicked by the Shroud and the guys who deflect your shots.

Not sure if i'm gonna stick with this. It seems kinda grindy and you don't get a lot of new gear often

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
Buddy of mine just finished after 11h - apparently you can skip a section of the game with one decision.

If you decide to kill the undead king, you skip the whole swamp area.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm playin solo and just killed the first boss, he was quite annoying because of the adds, and because for some reason walls aren't walls? Weapons going through chunks of concrete and walls is just madness, you turn a corner to heal and think you're safe because there's a solid wall between you and the boss and nope, whacked straight through it likes it's not there.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Buddy of mine just finished after 11h - apparently you can skip a section of the game with one decision.

That's really cool that this is how it works
There is, i think, another entrance though that your friend could have found

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I haven't finished the game, but you can actually
kill the undying king AND go to the swamp area. Just accept his mission, he opens the portal, then go back to him, tell him you don't want to do what he asks, fight. This fight is kinda really crappy though, it was pretty hard for me, I died a ton and you gotta triger it every damn time with a conversation that can't even be button mashed because it defaults to "yes, I'll give you the thing" and cancels the fight.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
tragic

Not sure of the best way to report a bug or if you already know about it....but I don't see boss health bars at all. The name is there, the modifier thing is there...but the actual bars don't show up. Even encountering Shroud before the fog door doesn't show anything. Playing on PC, Fullscreen, low priority (aside from I don't even know if my damage is actually applying) but happens every time. Anyone else have this issue?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Think I'm stuck in the jungle area, 4th area in the game. Cleared the whole map and nowhere else to go.

EDIT: Found it eventually.

Last edited:

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've put a few hours into the game now and it could be really great, there's nothing massively wrong with it, it's just missing a lot of little things that could easily be added or tweaked. I have a feeling this is one of those games I'll regret playing early because it'll be more enjoyable after a patch or two.

May 22, 2018
I know the PS4 version wasn't able to get the VIP preview weekend, but you can't even pre-order it for Tuesday? I was thinking I could still get those armor and start up items. Is that not possible now?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Had the Undying King all the way to 10% then died. Sadness. My son and I have a pretty good strategy, but I think our armor is slowing us down too much on the dodge recovery from his melee attack.

I'm really enjoying it so far, though. I think the add phases in the boss fights are fine. They should generally be dying very quickly and mostly acting as ammo droppers. Most of what I've fought gives you plenty of openings to focus on the adds, as long as you're patient.

I've been playing in both my own save and my sons save, and our world-gens have been pretty different:
Gorefist Brute Guy - Son's Save
Root Dragon - Son's Save
Shroud - My Save
Treethulu - My Save
Dog thing - Both
Dual Skeleton Guys - Both
Giant Dude that spins the arena - Son's Save

We bashed our head against Undying King for a while, and as I mentioned, got so close. We're going to kill in his save, and then not in mine, that way we get all the items, all of which seem pretty good, particularly the scythe you get from giving him the heart and then the mod you get from killing him. The armor from the fairy queen for giving her the heart may be good, too.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I finally had time to play for a few hours and I'm having a blast (just beat Shroud). This is the game I didn't know I needed, and so far it's great. Can't wait to keep playing.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I feel like Undying King is more of a mod check than a skill check even if you can execute all the mechanics correctly.

There are a couple of mods which absolutely trivialize the encounter (sword song in particular). Whereas, if you're slightly under geared, getting perfect weak points shot on every single add + having to shoot twice at a turret with a magnum can honestly be rough in terms of mechanics with so much swapping between weapons needed to deal with shit on time. Like, its not exactly difficult.

There's a boss in the jungle after, summoning adds with bells that to the opposite of the king, can be destroyed without EVER focusing on anything else than him

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish the boss weapons that you craft would scale up to around your average ilvl so you could experiment more. They're so expensive to level up and they all start at level 0. I simply don't see a reason to switch from my Shotgun+Magnum since they're both at lvl 13.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I really wish the boss weapons that you craft would scale up to around your average ilvl so you could experiment more. They're so expensive to level up and they all start at level 0. I simply don't see a reason to switch from my Shotgun+Magnum since they're both at lvl 13.

That's why there's a NG+ in the game

also play in multiplayer for like one hour and you'll get all the parts you need to upgrade stuff

I'd like to point out how weirdly the game handles ressources, speaking of. When you're in a "regular" map in single player, you won't get a lot of the most advanced mats needed to upgrade your gear

However, if you find a dungeon entrance, it will rain left and right + drops in chests and also loot to pick up here and there on the map

Then, when you go back to the world itself, it just becomes weird again

However, if you go to a multiplayer game of any sort, you'll always get what you need in any part of the world (plus much more xp and drops in general)

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the bosses would be much more well received if they toned down the number of adds on normal difficulty. Having 10 million adds especially sounds painful when playing solo mode since you can't decide to have 1 of your teammates be dedicated to taking out the adds.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
That's why there's a NG+ in the game

also play in multiplayer for like one hour and you'll get all the parts you need to upgrade stuff

I'd like to point out how weirdly the game handles ressources, speaking of. When you're in a "regular" map in single player, you won't get a lot of the most advanced mats needed to upgrade your gear

However, if you find a dungeon entrance, it will rain left and right + drops in chests and also loot to pick up here and there on the map

Then, when you go back to the world itself, it just becomes weird again

However, if you go to a multiplayer game of any sort, you'll always get what you need in any part of the world (plus much more xp and drops in general)
I'm talking about those Lumenite Crystals you need which only drop from certain enemies. They're harder to come by it seems, and you need quite alot of you want to experiment with different Boss Weapons.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The bosses are definitely the weakest part of the game for me, exploring the world is great fun but I'm just not feeling the boss fights at all. The more I play the more I enjoy it though, the voice acting is really great and I'm finding the story/writing interesting.

Question, does polished iron start dropping or do I need to craft it? All my weapons are +5 and have been for awhile now.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
The bosses are definitely the weakest part of the game for me, exploring the world is great fun but I'm just not feeling the boss fights at all. The more I play the more I enjoy it though, the voice acting is really great and I'm finding the story/writing interesting.

Question, does polished iron start dropping or do I need to craft it? All my weapons are +5 and have been for awhile now.
Just stick with it, it's like the Souls games where as you play and level up you'll feel immensely powerful compared to how you were at the start. Hearing bad stuff about the last boss though, hopefully it's not another Sekiro in that regard.