• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What are the Glowing Rods for ?

For reference, I just got the Beam Rifle.

It is absolutely designed solely for Solo. I'm 8 hours in, all solo. Haven't felt a need for an extra player at all.
You collect them and there is an area in the map with 3 podiums. Each rod gives you a piece of a gear set

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Reach the 3rd world and had the most amazing fight against a boss there.

This game keeps getting better & better.

Find the puzzle runes and solving the puzzle myself felt really, really good.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
The game does not detect my USB controller, trying to use the xinput emu without success, does anyone know a way around?

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
tragic Loving the game btw - kudos to everyone involved.

Quick question about co-op - I am trait level 115 with much improved weapons over my friend who basically just started. If I join his game will I destroy everything or will it scale me down in some fashion?

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
What are the Glowing Rods for ?

For reference, I just got the Beam Rifle.

It is absolutely designed solely for Solo. I'm 8 hours in, all solo. Haven't felt a need for an extra player at all.

Theres a dungeon near the very beginning of that desert area where at the end there are three places to put a rod. At the time I only had one, chose the middle door and got a +6 piece of armor. Not sure if there are more rods to find or not.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Thanks!

Any idea of the lenght of this game?
Devs say around 15 hours, depending on how fast you are.
basically how much you explore and how much you grind and die.
I'm about 6 hours in and arrived at the second world. There are 4 worlds. So i take it around 15 hours will work for me.

Of course after beating it, you should then replay it cause you won't see all content or all items/bosses in one playthrough

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
this armor omg

48558809722_9b3c1c4dd8_o.png
Where can you get that?

Oct 27, 2017
I need to take a "heart" to the Undying King but to get the heart you have to kill the beast of the swamp which I thought I did as I defeated the boss (it was clearly a main boss, went through the cloudy entrance and all) in the swamp and it dropped an "unclean heart." Is that not the right beast or is this a bug or something as the Undying King acts like I don't have it when I go to turn it in.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
tragic Loving the game btw - kudos to everyone involved.

Quick question about co-op - I am trait level 115 with much improved weapons over my friend who basically just started. If I join his game will I destroy everything or will it scale me down in some fashion?

The scaling is based off your item level. If yours is too high, they are going to be in trouble (much like Diablo). We are talking about adding some sort of sidekick functionality but it may be that by then, everyone is +20 items!

Glad you are enjoying it!

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
I'm aware of what Tragic said here. Let me get home and take a screenshot of Josh telling me in discord that they do.

Here is his quote I'll post the screenshot when I can "the difficulty is intended to ramp up pretty hard, ya. there is an element of rng to it tho, last night i had 4 archers and a brute, as you can imagine, i had my taint handed to me."

That's his response to me asking about the last 30 seconds of a boss fight. 5 elites spawning in 30 seconds. 5

Which fight are you talking about?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I need to take a "heart" to the Undying King but to get the heart you have to kill the beast of the swamp which I thought I did as I defeated the boss (it was clearly a main boss, went through the cloudy entrance and all) in the swamp and it dropped an "unclean heart." Is that not the right beast or is this a bug or something as the Undying King acts like I don't have it when I go to turn it in.
That is not the right boss. The item you need will go into Quest Items.

That zone has several bosses.

fiskyfisko

Mar 23, 2018
So I tried the game again in new game hard solo. Man the game's challenge comes only from the endless add spawns that bosses are throwing at you. I got to the Ent boss and it just got too annoying and I'm not feeling like playing it again.

I feel like the adds are ok in coop because your buddy can focus on adds while you shoot boss but in solo? meh.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Root Mother

So at the very end of this fight, when there are 20 seconds remaining, the game spawns its "FINALE" wave. This is meant to ramp up the intensity and the feeling you are about to fail (because it seems insurmountable) but as long as you've keep the room clear up to that point, you only need to draw aggro and run around for a few seconds for the win.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I tried the game again in new game hard solo. Man the game's challenge comes only from the endless add spawns that bosses are throwing at you. I got to the Ent boss and it just got too annoying and I'm not feeling like playing it again.

I feel like the adds are ok in coop because your buddy can focus on adds while you shoot boss but in solo? meh.

While I'll admit to not having played on Hard, I think the adds are manageable as long as you remember they are a mechanic in the game. That specific fight was a lot easier once I understood that the best weapon for dealing with those particular adds was the SMG.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX

Hard mode is really meant to be the "can't make as many mistakes" mode. The HP scaling is 50% and the DMG scaling is 70%. It's meant for either a) your average player that has beaten the game once and has lots of mods and cool armors and weapons and items, or b) the tryhard super-sweaty (me, for example!) that wants a really challenging first experience right off the bat. There shouldn't be any additional enemy spawns on hard mode in solo.. they are, however, just a bit tougher/scarier.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
While I'll admit to not having played on Hard, I think the adds are manageable as long as you remember they are a mechanic in the game. That specific fight was a lot easier once I understood that the best weapon for dealing with those particular adds was the SMG.

This is absolutely the case. The first playthrough I did on the retail build was Hard Solo just to make sure it was possible. It was definitely challenging, but was absolutely doable single-player. The places I had the most trouble were certain zones (not boss fights). Of course, I have inside knowledge on all of the combat and boss mechanics so it's not entirely a fair comparison to first-time players.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

There are mods that can help you manage adds. Also stuff like the submachine gun for example helps.

I really don't see all this worrying about "rng adds!" but then as I said before, this is like any game of this kind beforehand on ERA. Just look at Sekiro and such.

fiskyfisko

Mar 23, 2018

I used the smg for adds. The boss tho in his last phase starts non stop screaming (that spawns adds) and using that barrage attack. getting hit by the exploding guys or barrage means death usually.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
We made it to the third area today and I got all these cool mods, weapons and armor for a melee build. I guess I have to do that on a second playthrough or so.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
The adds are usually for ammo replenishment (because ammo is our "gun stamina"). However, in some cases they are there to distract you from an otherwise easy-to-avoid boss mechanic. That being said, In 20+ clears I've never felt I had to be lucky to beat any of the bosses, I've had to learn the boss mechanics, the add types, and the timing of the dance, so to speak. The game has a ton of abilities that allow you to manage adds and the damage of weapons at even levels (or 1 below) has been tuned on normal to allow a specific number of shots (or weakspot shots) to kill / manage.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that some people DO feel like they need to get lucky, so that's something we look to address, be it by adjusting spawn timings, density, attack speed, pressure values, or even just making players more aware of their ability to manage multiple adds with their weapons and abilities.

For Co-op can you give us the option to turn on or off ammo hoarding? I feel lower difficulties should have the ammo shared between all players. Because I can imagine in a public session a shotgun heavy user basically hogging all the ammo. Heck it happened with me and my brother when we thought ammo was separate to each player and then I noticed when I ran out lol.

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
This has definitely piqued my interest. Looks like a mashup of some of my favorites game genres.

How manageable are the achievements/trophies?

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I used the smg for adds. The boss tho in his last phase starts non stop screaming (that spawns adds) and using that barrage attack. getting hit by the exploding guys or barrage means death usually.

I used the repeating rifle with the fire mod for the boss, as it does a lot of damage during that specific phase (when the boss starts using the barrage, it reveals a huge weak point on its back) and then rolled, shot, rolled, shot, rolled, shot, with each roll baiting the exploding enemies so they'd get caught in the barrage. SMG during the non-barrage parts, in order to get rid of the enemies without wasting stamina and being open to any sudden changes.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
67024113_2455850957850374_7980099262512968453_n.jpg

Is this armor in-game? So far from the art it's the one that has appealed to me the most.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
tragic, intentional that rerolling world / campaign also increases level of enemies by X with each roll?

I watched Bahroo to reroll his campaign few times as he wanted to get The Heart encounter and he apparently has now totally ruined his save. Enemies way over level him and one shot him with ease.

If it really levels up enemies even beyond yours actual level with rerolls there should be warning about that in-game.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
tragic, intentional that rerolling world / campaign also increases level of enemies by X with each roll?

I watched Bahroo to reroll his campaign few times as he wanted to get The Heart encounter and he apparently has now totally ruined his save. Enemies way over level him and one shot him with ease.

If it really levels up enemies even beyond yours actual level with rerolls there should be warning about that in-game.

That sounds like a bug if tragic talking about the item scaling is correct

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
So, I run with my hunter in the first dungeon, spawned a nice fella called...shroud? Who quickly killed me...and now he doesn't seem to spawn.
Did I miss anything?

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
Just picked this up and completed the tutorial. Seems like something I would enjoy. Anybody down to play co-op? i'm US East.