• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Just discovered this game thanks to an ad. I´ve been watching gameplays and it looks amazing. I love the aesthetic, like cartoony but dark. The gameplay looks superfun too and from what I ve seen it has randomly genereated dungeons and cooperative multiplayer. I don´t know much about it, its supposedly coming out on august 20th for PS4, Xbox One and PC but no signs of physical releases as far as I know.

Take a look for yourself:

Did you know this game?

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of it until last week when my brother told me he pre-ordered Remnant - From the Ashes and I went "you pre-ordered what?"

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Yep, looks awesome. Pre-ordered yesterday since it unlocks Friday for pre-orders :)

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I agree. I've been following the game for a while now and every time they've shown it, it looks better and better. I'm so hyped for it that I made a little Beginners Guide Graphic for people who are new to the game as kind of an info dump, I posted it in the other Remnant Thread yesterday.

I'm really excited to play this game this weekend (if you preorder you can start playing Friday Night/Saturday morning depending on timezone).

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Looks and sounds good and the devs were very active her on the last thread. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still on the fence, but I'm very close to pulling the trigger on it. Looks like it could be a pretty good time.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I have high hopes. Darksiders 3 was great and this is from the same developer.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, looks good! For anyone interested the developers will be doing a live preview with Easy Allies this Thursday at 12:30 pm PST

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Pre-ordered and looking forward to the early access weekend on the 16th.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm looking forward to the game quite a bit, have been following it for months.
I won't have much time on the early access weekend so I'll get it on release.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Picking this up soon. As long as the loot is varied and interesting, I am all for it. Seems that it's a more bite-sized Souls style game where the maps can be done in 20mins or so. I am OK with that. Reminds me a bit of playing Diablo 2 and just running the level to get to a boss for its loot and then restarting.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
It does look very good.

And i love how similar some aspects of it look to the original vision for Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age (now Hunt Showdown) that the guys at Crytek Austin were working on before leaving to form Gunfire Games.

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
I think this has a lot of potential. But the $40 price tag might kill it. If you're a selling a new multiplayer IP and you're not known for multiplayer games, charging a $40 entrance fee is extremely risky. Most people will hesitate to drop $40 on a multiplayer game that might be dead within a month.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It does seem pretty cool and I've never heard of it prior to this topic.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I think this has a lot of potential. But the $40 price tag might kill it. If you're a selling a new multiplayer IP and you're not known for multiplayer games, charging a $40 entrance fee is extremely risky. Most people will hesitate to drop $40 on a multiplayer game that might be dead within a month.

You can play it solo...

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You know that new games usually cost 60$, right?
This is already a "budget game".

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
You could except it's clearly designed for co-op, much like L4D, Ghost Recon and The Division. That said, the core gameplay mechanics do look more interesting than your typical co-op shooter so it might actually hold up in solo.

The devs have stated plenty of times you can play solo or with people; your choice. That to me sounds like it's designed for both.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

Jarhab

Alt account
Banned
Jul 26, 2019
You know that new games usually cost 60$, right?
This is already a "budget game".

Not for multiplayer. New IP + non-established developer + multiplayer + $40 = risky. That's why most MP games are F2P now. If Warframe had a $40 price tag, it probably would have died years ago instead of growing in popularity.

The devs have stated plenty of times you can play solo or with people; your choice. That to me sounds like it's designed for both.

You can play most co-op games solo. RE5, RE6, L4D, Ghost Recon, The Division, Payday, etc, can all be played solo. However, the solo experience in those games isn't great and they are significantly more fun in co-op.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
seems to be more Diablo than Souls (despite aesthic/mechanics) so the grind is the game basically

The loot is more like Souls than Diablo. It's not random, there is a set amount of items to obtain and you can upgrade them through the game rather than chasing a perfect stat rolled item.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Not for multiplayer. New IP + non-established developer + multiplayer + $40 = risky. That's why most MP games are F2P now. If Warframe had a $40 price tag, it probably would have died years ago instead of growing in popularity.
You literally gave examples of multiplayer games that are 60$.
There is absolutely no basis to say that "most" Multiplayer games are free now. In fact if you probably check the multiplayer games just released this year, you can see that the vast majority of them are buy to play.

Travalore

Jul 14, 2019
Day 1 for sure, and I hope this does well for Gunfire after all they've dealt with to get to making this game, still remember watching gameplay of Hunt for the first time and being hyped like crazy.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching it since E3, looks really nice. I hope it's successful. Definitely interested. It must be tough for all of these coop games though, there are just so many of them right now but this one is a head turner.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
huh the game's selling for 40?
well if it can fill the void that l4d left behind i might check this out

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think the main issue is that it is launching very close to games like Borderlands 3 and MHW:Iceborne. I love me some loot games but I only have so much time.

I think the game will fit into a nice quick play gap for loot games, without the need to sink hours and hours in grinding mats for crafting.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I think the main issue is that it is launching very close to games like Borderlands 3 and MHW:Iceborne. I love me some loot games but I only have so much time.

I think the game will fit into a nice quick play gap for loot games, without the need to sink hours and hours in grinding mats for crafting.

It's not really a loot game though. There is loot but there is very much a finite pool of items to obtain, ala Dark Souls/Bloodbourne.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the difficulty scales when you're playing solo compared to when you're playing co-op?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's not really a loot game though. There is loot but there is very much a finite pool of items to obtain, ala Dark Souls/Bloodbourne.
Agreed. The replayability is from not having all the bosses/zones in one world, so rebirthing the world to get more shots at bosses and the drops they might have. In some ways I wish it was more like Diablo, with loot spilling everywhere but making it a little more like Souls is fine with me.

Much of it will be down to how fun weapons are to use, how varied abilities and skills are and how quickly people can max out a build.

Jun 14, 2019
Im posting the ot up weds night / Thursday morning.

I can say the devs have stated numerous times single player is perfectly fine.

tragic

Im in there discord with quite alot of devs there and there's quite a few of them who play strickly solo.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I saw this in a Twitch ad I think, and I was blown away by how good it looked? It's one of the rare times I saw an ad for a game and it actually worked.

I'm extremely interested in this one.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Here is a pssst from one of the devs about how they're using procedural content.

I have good news for you.

First off, the game is 100% solo'able. There's nothing in the game that requires multiplayer (except maybe unlocking a trait or two that are used for multiplayer). You can see all the content, do all the dungeons, and kill all the bosses by yourself, 100% guaranteed.

Secondly, to answer your first question last, the game actually isn't "too random" IMO... but of course, that's just my opinion, so let me explain:

As you've probably seen in some videos, the campaign is generated with a set of guidelines. These are the rules that determine your route through the game. Think of it like this...

Imagine taking a road trip from California (San Francisco) to Texas (Austin). The route planned says "you must drive south, pass through Arizona, then New Mexico, and then Texas". Those are the basic guidelines.

Then the engine says "you must stop at 4 gas stations in each state, and eat at 2 diners... one for breakfast, one for dinner".

That's basically it.

We can guarantee you will see certain story moments because we know you will go from CA to AZ to NM to TX, but we don't know what gas stations you will stop at (we've build way more than 4) and we don't know what diners you will eat at (we've build way more than two). Along the way, you might veer off on a side road, or go to a third diner, or stop at a different gas station, but that's up to you. In fact, they may appear, they may not, but the original guidelines will ensure that at least the base amount will spawn. Which ones actually spawn though, are random.

So, now imagine CA is Earth, AZ is Wasteland, NM is Yaesha, TX is Swamp. Imagine those gas stations could be Texaco, or Shell, or Exxon, or BP, or Chevron, or Marathon, or Tesoro, or Rotten Robbie, or Valero, or Parker's. Each of them are biome themed and offer different stuff... and as mentioned, the engine only ensures you go to 4 of them in each state.

Now imagine those diners are TGIF or Applebees (LOL) or Cheesecake Factory or Red Robin or Black Angus or Bucca di Beppo or Claim Jumpers. Again, these "diners" would all be biome themed and have unique... "dishes" to serve.

When Chevron spawns on your route, you know that you can get X from the gift store. When Valero spawns, you can get Y. When Marathon spawns, you can get Z.

Same for the diners... except with bigger and better rewards.

OK, this analogy got out of hand real quick. The point is...

We have a set of guidelines and... now I'm hungry.

[F]

The idea of this system is so that a) you never see the same thing twice in a single play-through, b) each run/campaign is laid out differently BUT it has a set of rails, so to speak, to keep you heading to the final destination, and c) when you re-roll the campaign (or adventure more) you'll never get the same route.

Also, you literally cannot see and get everything by playing through the game once. It's impossible... because every world has multiple world bosses and you only fight one each run (per biome), every Biome has multiple mini-bosses which work similarly. Every mini-boss has random modifiers. Every area has different world drops as well... BUT, as I said, there are a set of guidelines.

You will know that you can eventually get everything in a biome because multiple elements are tied to "events" that spawn in the world. We may have 10 world-drop items that can appear from exploration. As you pick up 1, there's now 9 that can spawn in the same amount of event spots. Once you get 2, now there are 8. The game rewards playing again and again.

Plus, Adventure Mode will allow you to roll a single biome with no story elements and only part of the aforementioned "route". "I JUST WANNA PLAY ARIZONA OVER AND OVER!" Cool, do it!

Anyway, sorry for the ridiculous analogy. I'll see myself out.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
You could except it's clearly designed for co-op, much like L4D, Ghost Recon and The Division. That said, the core gameplay mechanics do look more interesting than your typical co-op shooter so it might actually hold up in solo.

Except It's not. The devs have said in discord easily 50+ times it wasn't designed for coop. It was designed with people playing both in mind. As a matter of fact it's harder in coop because more ammo doesn't necessarily drop and it's shared.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Actually looks pretty good, but it comes out the same week as I start school again, and a week before WoW Classic. I'll definitely keep an eye on it to see how it evolves in the months after launch.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I never knew that the game has such a big focus on single player, even though it's still online only through and through. Most trailers I've seen are showing co-op gameplay.

I'll be looking at the reviews and impressions at launch. Randomly generated maps/dungeons is actually good in my book. You're supposed to run them over and over again, it'll get old quickly if they're not randomly generated.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Just discovered this game thanks to an ad. I´ve been watching gameplays and it looks amazing. I love the aesthetic, like cartoony but dark. The gameplay looks superfun too and from what I ve seen it has randomly genereated dungeons and cooperative multiplayer. I don´t know much about it, its supposedly coming out on august 20th for PS4, Xbox One and PC but no signs of physical releases as far as I know.

Take a look for yourself:

Did you know this game?

I literally did the exact same thing two days ago. I was watching a YouTube video and right before it this ad played very quick but I took immediate notice and ignored the video I was going to watch and looked for more info and gameplay of this. It looks so damn good!

Advertising works! Haha

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It does look really good, but is launching wayyyy too close to the gauntlet of Borderlands/Iceborne/Shadowkeep. I'll keep an eye on this, but I won't have any time for it until 2020. I wish it had launched mid-July, I would have picked it up for sure.