• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
The final DLC for Remnant is now available for $9.99 USD on all platforms. As a big fan of the game, I'm definitely going to be diving back in.

store.steampowered.com

Remnant: From the Ashes - Subject 2923 on Steam

Complete new quests and conquer unique bosses to acquire additional gear, increasing your chances of surviving the rugged wilderness of Earth and beyond, as you aim to put an end to the Root and restore humanity.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I started playing this game a bit because it was free on epic. I think people do it a bit of a disservice by calling it a souls-like. I died for the first time last night, and it looks like you lose nothing on death (there's no "souls" equivalent, just re spawning enemies). That makes the whole experience much more chill for me, haha. I can play a little bit, and if all I do is find some scrap, that's mine to keep. On Waypoint the other day, they were comparing it to Destiny which is kind of interesting.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing this game a bit because it was free on epic. I think people do it a bit of a disservice by calling it a souls-like. I died for the first time last night, and it looks like you lose nothing on death (there's no "souls" equivalent, just re spawning enemies). That makes the whole experience much more chill for me, haha. I can play a little bit, and if all I do is find some scrap, that's mine to keep. On Waypoint the other day, they were comparing it to Destiny which is kind of interesting.
See the souls comparison is what keeps me away, not what I want for a shooter.

Jun 23, 2019
I just bought the game with DLC in the PSN Summer Sale. Is this an MMO or a single player game? I'm confused lol.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah at worse the souls comparison is from the checkpoint system and the difficulty of bosses. Most of which aren't really all that hard but require a solid strategy. Otherwise it's nothing like a souls game. It's a solid third person shooter with fun mechanics.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017

there are tons of dark souls elements, like the flask, the bonfire, the bosses mechanics, and so on ... but it's definitely not as hard.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
hm... Might get this and the first DLC together so that I have a tooon of new content to play with.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Free you say? Okay, I'll bite. Add one more free game to my Epic account that I may never play.

But I am intrigued by the comparison to Souls. I'll at least download this one

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK

There are some superficial similarities (boss fog doors, bonfires, stamina) but at it's core it's far more akin to something lie The Division or Destiny IMO, and stands above them all with a distinct lack of MTX nonsense.

It has a narrower scope than both of the above, but to its credit.

EDIT: Actually Diablo III might be an apt comparison in structure with their respective Adventure modes.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone picks this up and is confused about how to access the new Subject 2923 content, you'll need to re-roll campaign from the World Stone and there you can select the new Subject 2923 campaign.

Hope you all enjoy!

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
Been debating this for so long. I keep seeing it on steam sales, but I was hesitant. It looks cool, but I have a very low tolerance for "souls-like" games. I just don't have the patience.
BUT, thanks for the hat tip on the free base game on epic. Gonna try this out on my lunch break.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, this DLC came out of nowhere! Platinum'd the base game but dropped out of the new content as part of the last patch and the first DLC, but I might bounce back with this.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Have they given any indication of how long the base game is on game pass for? I bought swamps of corsus when it came out but I don't want to buy this one and suddenly have the base game disappear in a couple weeks...

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
Time to play through all of this finally. The question is which version to play since I have access to it on Ps4 Pro and Xbox One X (and PC, but my PC is fairly old)

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I'm playing the base game now and I don't see the comparisons to loot games. I'm only about 7 hours in, but so far loot is even rarer than in Bloodborne, which is fine by me.

CelticKennedy

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 18, 2019
I picked it up on the Epic Store for free also. I'm really enjoying it. The game is way more chill than Souls and the solo and co-op options are great. You can set your session to friends only and just play on your own. When I friend joins you they are actually spectating you playing before you reach a checkpoint, then they are spawned in. The enemies will adjust nicely for the players in your session.

Another great thing is that you initial playthrough is kind of randomized to a point. I'm still new to the game...but I had a friend saying that he played through the game three times and never saw the enemy types that were in my session. Pretty cool stuff.

It definitely has some charm. For those old enough to get the reference, the feels like a Blockbuster Hidden Gem that you rented on a whim. PS2-era vibes in a great way. You can tell the people at Gunfire Games also enjoy playing games.

I'm kind of plowing through the base game because the expansions look rad. I can't wait.

I'm playing the base game now and I don't see the comparisons to loot games. I'm only about 7 hours in, but so far loot is even rarer than in Bloodborne, which is fine by me.

I heard that they ended up firing their outsourced PR team after them trying to sell it like Destiny or Souls. It's really not. I would compare to Vigil's older games since a lot of the devs are now at Gunfire and Airship Syndicate. It's like Darksiders in the fact that it's doing it's own thing, while being influenced by a bunch of different mechanics from other games.

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I heard that they ended up firing their outsourced PR team after them trying to sell it like Destiny or Souls. It's really not. I would compare to Vigil's older games since a lot of the devs are now at Gunfire and Airship Syndicate. It's like Darksiders in the fact that it's doing it's own thing, while being influenced by a bunch of different mechanics from other games.

Yeah. I hope they keep that approach to their games, thats when they shine the most.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I want to buy it, but anyone know if the memory leaks on PS4 were solved?

Tried to play the game some time ago and I had soft crashes and 1 hard crash every single time...

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
So you have to re-roll your campaign to play the new dlc? Do you keep all your current gear? Also, how do you play the other old dlcs?

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
Yep I have it downloaded there, I'm just curious which one runs better these days given I heard there were some issues with the xbox version a while ago. Neither are more than 30 fps right?
My experience on a pro was that it was mostly fine, chugging a little here and there. The worst was the loading times but they're not really that frequent so it wasn't a huge deal.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
So you have to re-roll your campaign to play the new dlc? Do you keep all your current gear? Also, how do you play the other old dlcs?
Rerolling campaign does not affect your gear or anything else.

The only other paid DLC available is Swamps of Corsus, who's content you can easily access by doing adventure mode on Corsus.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Also, I want to emphasize that this has great game feel. I love the act of shooting in this game. Also these Root things def seem to deserve to be murdered by me. Maybe that'll get more complicated down the road haha.

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020
Bring it! Remnant is one of my fav games this gen. Looking forward to trying the new content in survival and hardcore modes.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
Thinking about grabbing the Complete Edition for 40 Euros.
I enjoy it greatly on Game Pass.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Great game! A couple of friends of mine just grabbed it from Epic, and they really dig it. Looking forward to playing with them

Dec 11, 2017
Does the difficulty of this game actually scale when you play solo versus 3 player co-op? It doesn't feel like it and crowd control can be a nightmare in boss fights when playing solo.

Nov 1, 2017
If anyone picks this up and is confused about how to access the new Subject 2923 content, you'll need to re-roll campaign from the World Stone and there you can select the new Subject 2923 campaign.

Hope you all enjoy!

Thanks, but why not include this on the store page or in the game as a pop-up? I considered re-rolling the campaig earlier, but thought that couldn't possibly be the solution.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It's not really like Souls as far as cheap deaths go.

Your dodge actually has i-frames and as long as you're engaging in the progression of your character levels never get ridiculously hard.

You got your camp fire mechanic and boss fights but besides that it feels like enough of its own game and handles exploration more like a loot game.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
After much exploring I solved the puzzle in

Ward Prime

and got a nifty new weapon:

unknown.png

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
Does the difficulty of this game actually scale when you play solo versus 3 player co-op? It doesn't feel like it and crowd control can be a nightmare in boss fights when playing solo.

I'm currently playing the game solo and this is by far my biggest gripe with the game. So far in every single boss fight the difficulty comes from the additional trash enemies coming from all sides. Very very annoying. I'm dying a lot less than in Dark Souls games but i am a lot more annoyed.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm currently playing the game solo and this is by far my biggest gripe with the game. So far in every single boss fight the difficulty comes from the additional trash enemies coming from all sides. Very very annoying. I'm dying a lot less than in Dark Souls games but i am a lot more annoyed.

I've beaten the gamd a few times solo.

It absolutely scales to the number of players in both number of enemies and enemy health.

Boss mobs can be a real pain solo, but all bosses are reasonable solo on normal and hard. You have to adjust your gear and strategy to compensate for being on your own though.

You can often leverage the mobs for things like mod power which can help. Rattle Weed (weapon mod) was also a lifesaver more than once in my solo playthroughs.

The game really shines in coop though.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Not gonna lie, I probably wouldn't have played this if not for Epic, but I absolutely love what I've played thus far. Definitely going to be grabbing the dlc!

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
I've beaten the gamd a few times solo.

It absolutely scales to the number of players in both number of enemies and enemy health.

Boss mobs can be a real pain solo, but all bosses are reasonable solo on normal and hard. You have to adjust your gear and strategy to compensate for being on your own though.

You can often leverage the mobs for things like mod power which can help. Rattle Weed (weapon mod) was also a lifesaver more than once in my solo playthroughs.

The game really shines in coop though.

Haven't had a problem with the difficulty (maybe with the exception of the Undying King boss), my problem is not enjoying the boss fights as much as i would like.
I don't have rattle weed, i guess i missed that boss.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, but why not include this on the store page or in the game as a pop-up? I considered re-rolling the campaig earlier, but thought that couldn't possibly be the solution.
I don't have much control over the latter, but I can help with the former. Thanks to your suggestion, we actually whipped up this infographic for the Steam store page with how to access the Subject 2923 content. Thanks!
R6npJT7.jpg

Just wanted to set the record straight that this did not happen. Our PR team (both internal and outsourced) is excellent.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Wow, I didn't know this game was so loved. I picked it up on the EGS while it was free, so I'll make sure to check it out.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Getting this with the 15 bucks PSN sent me last time...loved this game last year,played all the way through with a friend and it was awesome...a few really hard Boss fights but overall great...its only 13 bucks...I didnt get the Corsus one though,wonder if I should get that one ALSO although I am not really intersted in playing Survival mode...