• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
It looks good. The gunplay left a lot to be desired from this small look into the game but I'm still interested.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Looking really good! Game's out August 20th.

a) you can tell it's from "the makers of Darksiders" because it's another boss straight out of a Zelda game lol - the first boss on Twilight Princess XD
b) would be nice if you mentioned in the OP who the "makers of Darksiders" are since the makers of Darksiders are spread across several game studios.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Been super excited to show off more of this game to the larger gaming community. Everyone over here is incredibly excited to get this game in the hands of more players. It's honestly one of the coolest games I have gotten a chance to work on, and I can't wait for people to get their hands on the title in August.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting about this game. This is the sort of spiritual successor to the original version of Hunted right? Been interested in the concept since way back then and still looks pretty fun. I love that boss design.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been super excited to show off more of this game to the larger gaming community. Everyone over here is incredibly excited to get this game in the hands of more players. It's honestly one of the coolest games I have gotten a chance to work on, and I can't wait for people to get their hands on the title in August.

Very excited for this once it started looking almost like a Soulsborne shooter and hope it does well for Gunfire and you guys. I wasn't aware until recently when I read this Shacknews article that it's not F2P but a premium title with no microtransactions so I am definitely curious how you guys are planning to keep people engaged in the long term.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
For those that think the gunplay looks weird: it's supposed to be a souls-ish inspired approach to TPS games so not a run-n-gun affair. Conserve ammo, each enemy has its own strategy, beware of your surroundings, etc.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For those that think the gunplay looks weird: it's supposed to be a souls-ish inspired approach to TPS games so not a run-n-gun affair. Conserve ammo, each enemy has its own strategy, beware of your surroundings, etc.
Yeah, this is definitely the hardest thing to get used to when playing the game. I ran in my first few times guns blazing and got immediately annihilated. It was until I learned to slow down and think through how I approached each enemy that I was even able to get through the Gamescom demo. Now, fair warning, I used to be a games journalist, so take that how you will about my gaming skill (or lack thereof).

Very excited for this once it started looking almost like a Soulsborne shooter and hope it does well for Gunfire and you guys. I wasn't aware until recently when I read this Shacknews article that it's not F2P but a premium title with no microtransactions so I am definitely curious how you guys are planning to keep people engaged in the long term.

Yeah, this game is one of the first few games we are releasing that are not f2p (the other recent one was Hob for Switch). We are looking to make more titles in the so-called AA space and we are eager to see how this performs.

Oct 27, 2017

I just learned of the game and the gameplay looks great. Me and my Fiancé are about to coop this one Day One

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is this what the humans have to deal with on earth after War ''brought'' upon the apocalypse?

Yes, the guys that were on Crytek US and David Adams are now Gunfire.

What they said. A lot of the ideas of Hunt (that didn't end up in Hunt: Showdown) definitely made their way into Remnant.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Is this what the humans have to deal with on earth after War ''brought'' upon the apocalypse?

Yes, the guys that were on Crytek US and David Adams are now Gunfire.

It's funny recognizing some of the stuff from Darksiders 3, like how this boss is a lot like Greed, and the church area in one of the previous trailers.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I wish people would speed up these games. Let the player run faster and make the rolling and jumping more snappier.

The sluggish type movement in these type of games is starting to irk me a little.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Hi all! Hope you guys enjoyed the vids.

As DashReindeer said, the combat takes a little bit of getting used to because everything is more deliberate (both gunplay and melee). When I first started playing, I did the same thing; run in... get destroyed! As you learn the threat levels of different enemies (there are like... over 100 non-boss enemies, I think) it becomes second nature to automatically deal with each appropriately. What's interesting, though, is the fact that each weapon is tuned very specifically to do a certain job really well AND to have its own personality. Because of that, you CAN make loadouts that are less than ideal for a given task... so you will obviously want to collect as many of the weapons you can!

That being said... we are constantly play-testing and looking to fine-tune the balance between responsive gameplay and meaningful combat decisions (it's a fine line to get juuuust right... especially when trying to combine a handful of elements). There's still a lot of work to be done (clear/clean reticles, unique firearm sounds, transition windows, etc) and it's something the combat team is putting a heavy focus on.

I will say that seeing people play for the first time and seeing feedback from first-time viewers always gives us a lot to think about. If you like the initial concept, I think you are all in for a treat! I'm really looking forward to people playing (and of course, as much feedback as possible). I know the rest of team is as well!

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
never heard of this, but from the video it already seems more appealing to me compared to hunt showdown

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
This looks cool, I wasn't expecting it to be so visually appealing
I loved darksiders 1 & 2 and I was looking forward to the gilded age game
I love me some good coop looking forward to this

Deleted member 4886

Oct 25, 2017
Having something that's not gun as the primary attack would prolly spice these looter games up a bit more, than and speeding up the movement/

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
I've accepted Destiny's fireteams, but I remember feeling that same way back in 2013
Ah ok, I don't play Destiny so I didn't know there was a precedent like that.
It's too bad though since my gaming is 4 people and I doubt we will play sth where someone would be left out, it looks interesting enough

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Thanks so much tragic for the insight! Looks like my type of game. Is there any melee-only class or mage/no gun weapon class?

The classes are just starting loadouts. You can actually play with any firearm and any melee weapon (you just have to find them first). Each starting class comes with the same Handgun (a Semi-Auto Pistol), a different Longgun (currently Hunting Rifle for long range, Coachgun for Mid-Range, and Shotgun for Close Range), and a unique Melee Weapon (the well-rounded Sword, the fast but lower DMG Scythe, or the hard-hitting 2H Hammer). These may change, of course, but right now, that's how they work.

To answer your question, there's no melee-only class, but you can certainly try to play with only melee (it saves you bullets, just in case!). There are also weapon mods that can attach to any firearm which can give you "mage-like" abilities... I'd liken them to mini-ultimates (not nearly as powerful as Destiny... but more frequent). For example; in one of the playthrough videos, the player activates an ability that allows you to see enemies through walls and drastically boosts your crit chance.

If you want to play close and dangerous but need a little bit of breathing room from melee-only, there are some REALLY close range firearms. The SMG, for example, has a really reduced ranged, but up close it feels like a knife. The aforementioned Shotgun also does ridiculous DMG up close (like most Shotguns!).

The way we are currently tuning the weapons is to give them unique personality and "roles". We don't want them to blend together (if we can help it). We actually want you to go into a new area and think "OK, maybe I should go Hunting Rifle here and pair it with the Semi-Auto Pistol" or "HMM, this dungeon is close quarters... I'm thinking SMG / Coachgun". Currently, it's less about picking just one or two guns and more about collecting as many "tools" as you can.

Having something that's not gun as the primary attack would prolly spice these looter games up a bit more, than and speeding up the movement/

Definitely agree as a huge fan of looter shooters. The melee is a nice little twist to it... as well as the aforementioned focus on "guns as tools" instead of "this gun is my main" (if that makes sense). In regards to movement speed, that is something we are always aware of (changing it has repercussions... but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement!).

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Woah didn't know about this until now. Concept looks fun. But gunplay seems to be a little lacking and movement a bit sluggish. Def keeping an eye out.

OP
OP
Blizz

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all! Hope you guys enjoyed the vids.

As DashReindeer said, the combat takes a little bit of getting used to because everything is more deliberate (both gunplay and melee). When I first started playing, I did the same thing; run in... get destroyed! As you learn the threat levels of different enemies (there are like... over 100 non-boss enemies, I think) it becomes second nature to automatically deal with each appropriately. What's interesting, though, is the fact that each weapon is tuned very specifically to do a certain job really well AND to have its own personality. Because of that, you CAN make loadouts that are less than ideal for a given task... so you will obviously want to collect as many of the weapons you can!

That being said... we are constantly play-testing and looking to fine-tune the balance between responsive gameplay and meaningful combat decisions (it's a fine line to get juuuust right... especially when trying to combine a handful of elements). There's still a lot of work to be done (clear/clean reticles, unique firearm sounds, transition windows, etc) and it's something the combat team is putting a heavy focus on.

I will say that seeing people play for the first time and seeing feedback from first-time viewers always gives us a lot to think about. If you like the initial concept, I think you are all in for a treat! I'm really looking forward to people playing (and of course, as much feedback as possible). I know the rest of team is as well!
Any idea of the boss count at release?

JayDee

Oct 28, 2017
Enemy design look really interesting but just based on the ign gameplay, combat seems pretty bland.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The way we are currently tuning the weapons is to give them unique personality and "roles". We don't want them to blend together (if we can help it). We actually want you to go into a new area and think "OK, maybe I should go Hunting Rifle here and pair it with the Semi-Auto Pistol" or "HMM, this dungeon is close quarters... I'm thinking SMG / Coachgun". Currently, it's less about picking just one or two guns and more about collecting as many "tools" as you can.
So you actually work at Gunfire now?

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I joined after doing some end-game consulting on DS3 and helping out with Remnant. =)
Kudos. Best of luck to you.

I hadn't actually been following Remnant (I think I assumed it was going to be another VR title). It looks promising, though I'm not sure it's really my genre. Definitely interested in seeing more of it.

On a personal note, I hope you occasionally whisper Darksiders 4 when David passes by (maybe slip in a Jesper Kyd too sometimes). It would be fascinating to see what you come up with for combat.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Eh I want guns to feel good and the wait time inaccuracy thing looks cumbersome. I'd rather guns feel good and enemy health is increased massively. have slow firing weapons, but have them still be accurate

but i'd also attribute the slow deliberate nature of souls combat to being the main reasons i don't like those games

though shooting a gun is different, there's no swing animation that adds weight and mechanical commitment. as unrealistic as it is to ads and fire off a 100% accurate shot, the alternative adds rng to aim and thus to the game

started that video really excited and ended it disappointed.

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Kudos. Best of luck to you.

I hadn't actually been following Remnant (I think I assumed it was going to be another VR title). It looks promising, though I'm not sure it's really my genre. Definitely interested in seeing more of it.

On a personal note, I hope you occasionally whisper Darksiders 4 when David passes by (maybe slip in a Jesper Kyd too sometimes). It would be fascinating to see what you come up with for combat.

Thanks!

I think the people that give it a try will find a really interesting blend of genres. Totally understand if it isn't your cup of tea, but you might be surprised!

As for future projects... who knows!

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Eh I want guns to feel good and the wait time inaccuracy thing looks cumbersome. I'd rather guns feel good and enemy health is increased massively. have slow firing weapons, but have them still be accurate

but i'd also attribute the slow deliberate nature of souls combat to being the main reasons i don't like those games

though shooting a gun is different, there's no swing animation that adds weight and mechanical commitment. as unrealistic as it is to ads and fire off a 100% accurate shot, the alternative adds rng to aim and thus to the game

started that video really excited and ended it disappointed.

This is something I've been looking at and tuning over the last few weeks. As you probably know, demos aren't typically the most recent build and we've already been putting a heavier focus on aiming/spread/accuracy/firerate (and everything else). That being said, there is a lot more work going into weapon feel which is driven by lots of playtesting, feedback by new players, and even feedback like your own. It's definitely appreciated!

Edit 1: A little more insight! One of the things we've been doing to give the weapons more personality is to experiment with different types of spread/accuracy behaviors. In the case of the current Hunting Rifle (the one shown in the video above) the concept is that it is a pinpoint accurate gun but you have to wait a bit before it closes to that level of accuracy. Once you fire it from the smallest spread (basically 0), the recoil/spread returns back to pinpoint accuracy very quickly. In the video, the player shoots the weapon the moment they ADS... so they never get to that pinpoint accuracy... and thus can't keep it going with subsequent shots.

Edit 2: Depending if we want to retain that concept, part of the tuning may end up making the initial spread decay (constriction) happen slightly faster... another part may be to better relay the information to the player (in the demo, we just say... "GO FOR IT" and let the players figure things out for themselves).

I think in the end, you won't be disappointed =).

Last edited:

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
This looks cool guys. It's definitely on my radar and I gotta show it to my friend who I think might like this kinda stuff as well.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Graphics looks much better than I expected. Definitely keeping an eye out for this one. Might be fun to play with my gf.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As I've said elsewhere:
Currently making my way through DS2 (Deathinitive Edition) and despite the numerous amount of bugs and crashes I'm enjoying it loads. The art is brilliant and Remnant looks very similar in that respect, albeit a bit more realistic. I just love running around in Gunfire/Vigil Games' worlds.

Can't wait for this tbh. I don't pre-order anymore but I'm throwing my proverbial money at the screen!

tragic

Developer
Verified
Nov 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Graphics looks much better than I expected. Definitely keeping an eye out for this one. Might be fun to play with my gf.

As I've said elsewhere:
Currently making my way through DS2 (Deathinitive Edition) and despite the numerous amount of bugs and crashes I'm enjoying it loads. The art is brilliant and Remnant looks very similar in that respect, albeit a bit more realistic. I just love running around in Gunfire/Vigil Games' worlds.

Can't wait for this tbh. I don't pre-order anymore but I'm throwing my proverbial money at the screen!

You are both in for a treat! Some of the other areas that haven't been shown really stand out in contrast to the stuff shown. Really excited for people to check them out.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Is it really as Soulsborney as the guys from GS make it out to be? I don't see it myself but if it is in fact as difficult as those types of games then I might not be able to play this casually with my gf (although surely there's a difficulty setting before you embark on a mission?).

Game looks great based on that footage btw.