• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been rewatching the series the last couple of days and it's just as good as ever. Great refresher for how corrupt those who lead us are, how fucked up societies priorities are, and how everyone is pitted against each other.

Society failed bubbles so hard. Herc is such a huge piece of shit.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Season 5 was great. It helped to pull everything together and show how things just never change in politics and law enforcement in Baltimore, despite literally everyone knowing what the problems are.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Correct.

Edit: and regarding Season 5, I always wish we could have gotten that season 6 about immigration.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Pictured: Me after finishing the last episode last summer during my first ever watch

Sad-Pablo-Escobar.jpg

So I completely agree that "The Wire" is one of the best shows ever made hands down. I also can't see myself watching it again for a long, long time because the whole thing is just one giant punch to the gut. There are just too many victims and it's depressingly close to being a documentary that it's hard for me to walk away ready to dive back in again. So in that way for me it's closer to a "Schindler's List" or "American History X" than a "Sopranos" or "Breaking Bad". Like maybe I'll watch "The Wire" again in like...10...15 years.

To elaborate further, Season 4 in particular is the biggest gut punch. Those poor kids.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't decide if I love or hate S2 but yeah it's the GOAT.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
will have to rewatch it again one day. Its one of the few shows that does a good job in showing various perspectives without it being a cluster fuck.

and portraying the human side of each character. Good stuff.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is so incredible to me is that story about Omar surviving the fall? That really happened, except it was many stories higher. They made it only a few stories up, because they thought people would find it too unbelievable.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'd personally put Mad Men and Sopranos above it but Wire is at worst the third best show of all time

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but McNulty "creating" a serial killer still felt like a shark jumping moment.
it's funny, i just finished season 4 on my rewatch, and I'm surprised about how much post-season two i've forgotten or have gotten blurred together, but I remember this being a bridge too far for me at the time.

very excited to get started with season five again -- the first four seasons were (still) so fucking strong on rewatch

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps? But it's not even remotely as good. And that's what we're talking about here.

Er, no? Read all my posts ITT. Good is very clearly being defined by how important and well told the message is. The Wire isn't meant to entertain. It's much more important than that. When people try to compare The Wire to The Shield, it feels like the entire purpose of the show missed them. THE WIRE ISN'T A COP SHOW.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Wire is amazing! I think I'd put Deadwood over it just a little bit, and Sopranos had James Gandolfini's amazing acting (Breaking Bad like that too with Cranston), but as a total package The Wire is just about as good as TV gets.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
People always say this, and those people never watched The Shield.

I love the shield, watched every episode the night it premiered religiously. But elements of it have not aged well at all compared to some of its oft mentioned contemporaries. Some of the writing, acting and pacing are just flat out bad upon rewatch.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
The Shield is not even in the same universe as The Wire. Stop.

People can have different opinions...

Deadwood
Broadwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
Rome
Parks and Rec

Of course. I just find "overhyped" a meaningless criticism. Plus, given that list of shows - which except Boardwalk Empire I've seen and are great - I don't know why The Wire would separate itself as clearly being overhyped.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Where is the Wire available to stream in 16:9? Amazon Prime has it but it was 4:3 last I checked (and grainy). If I sub to HBO directly and use the HBO Go/Now/whatever will it be full quality? When I sub'd through Amazon Channels I couldn't use the app.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
It's a great show, probably top 5 ever for me. But nothing can touch The Sopranos.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
So I love a lot of prestige television, stuff like True Detective S1, Breaking Bad, Mr. Robot, etc. all some of my favorite shows.

I feel it in my bones that I should love The Wire.

I have tried giving it a shot. Twice. I've watched the entirety of season 1, I had a little difficulty following it the first watch, but the second one I was getting it. I did enjoy it, thought it was very well written and had a good flow to it, very grounded. But something wasn't clicking, I didn't really feel super invested.

I stopped halfway through season 2. I'm well aware season 2 is the "low point" I kept meaning to push through it, but I kept pushing it back for other things. Now I'm so far out I feel like I need to just start over again.

Can someone maybe lay out just why I'm feeling like it isn't "hitting" with me? There's a few characters I really loved, Omar and Bubbles mainly, but I just didn't feel that grip, or that tension. I felt no real climactic moments were hit in season 1, and the ones I thought should have been fell a little flat for me. Am I missing something? Is season 1 just slow? Do I need to keep pushing?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty great. Maybe not the best show ever from an entertainment standpoint. You have to be prepared for a sober look at the costs of corruption and cyclical violence.

Something like Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul is more to my taste. Serious drama, but with cinematic flair, artistic cinematography and editing, dark humor, and a heightened quality that ups the entertainment factor.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I love a lot of prestige television, stuff like True Detective S1, Breaking Bad, Mr. Robot, etc. all some of my favorite shows.

I feel it in my bones that I should love The Wire.

I have tried giving it a shot. Twice. I've watched the entirety of season 1, I had a little difficulty following it the first watch, but the second one I was getting it. I did enjoy it, thought it was very well written and had a good flow to it, very grounded. But something wasn't clicking, I didn't really feel super invested.

I stopped halfway through season 2. I'm well aware season 2 is the "low point" I kept meaning to push through it, but I kept pushing it back for other things. Now I'm so far out I feel like I need to just start over again.

Can someone maybe lay out just why I'm feeling like it isn't "hitting" with me? There's a few characters I really loved, Omar and Bubbles mainly, but I just didn't feel that grip, or that tension. I felt no real climactic moments were hit in season 1, and the ones I thought should have been fell a little flat for me. Am I missing something? Is season 1 just slow? Do I need to keep pushing?

The wire tells a story of baltimore over many chapters, like a book. Season 1 introduces you to the core concept and characters, but doesn't really advance the story. Season 2 shifts focus away from the characters, towards people that only really appear for one season. This is purposeful, because the wire isn't about individual characters, it's about the city. Season 1 is about the drug war that's plaguing the city, season 2 is meant to be pulling you back to examine the wider part of the city, and how outside corruption creates these problems that fuel the drug war. The connection between season 1 and season 2 doesn't really become apparent until the end.

Season 3 and 4 and 5 are where you get to the meat of the show. They've introduced you to the war, and to the city, and after that it's time for the wire to say things about what they mean and how they tie into larger politics and corruption. In season 2, it's still laying a lot of ground work. Every detail matters in the end, you can't get into the things it has to say about the war on drugs, education, and corrupt politicians until you lay out the setting as seasons 1 and 2 do.

Unlike many shows, the wire doesn't really have self contained seasons. They usually don't wrap up in happy ways, there isn't a "they got him!" moment. It's not supposed to be like that, reality doesn't quite work that way. This is less a story meant to entertain with beats, and more a long form essay on what society in america is. It's ugly, brutal, and rivetting.

To clarify, the story of Omar and Bubbles does return and become the central focus in seasons 3, 4, and 5 again. But don't expect a satisfying three-act story regarding them. It's more about following their life, and our lives aren't wrapped in neat packages.

Here's a good breakdown which might spoil some things, but the real message of the wire isn't the story, so spoilers don't really matter too much. It's the message it's deliverying through the story. The Wire has a lot to say about education, no child left behind, city politics, corruption, police brutality, post 9/11 federal investigations, the war on drugs, etc. It really needs to be seen to get the message:

I wouldn't call The Wire prestige television. When I think of prestige television, I think of high production values, cinematic shots, complex story telling with machiavellian beats, etc. The Wire is more like a docu-drama. It's fiction meant to teach about real problems. It's an examination into the ills of modern America, as honestly as possible. It's not game of thrones, it's David Attenborough's Planet Earth for the War on Drugs, just using a fictional backdrop.

Let me give you a taste of The Wire at it's best, when it's speaking it's messages most clearly:

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started this a few days ago; 3 episodes in. It's clearly a "good" show, but it's not really clicking for me. Definitely seems very, very dated in a lot of different ways.

Should I stick with it? I normally totally love all kinds of movies and television from all kinds of different eras, but this one seems a bit rough and... a little cheesy? So far anyway.

Thoughts?

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
Where is the Wire available to stream in 16:9? Amazon Prime has it but it was 4:3 last I checked (and grainy). If I sub to HBO directly and use the HBO Go/Now/whatever will it be full quality? When I sub'd through Amazon Channels I couldn't use the app.

the original 4:3 version was replaced pretty much everywhere by the new 16:9 transfer which was pretty frustrating for people who wanted to watch it in HD but in the original aspect ratio. it's good to know amazon has the 4:3 version though

personally i'd put Deadwood and Band of Brothers on top but its definitely a masterpiece

I started this a few days ago; 3 episodes in. It's clearly a "good" show, but it's not really clicking for me. Definitely seems very, very dated in a lot of different ways.

Should I stick with it? I normally totally love all kinds of movies and television from all kinds of different eras, but this one seems a bit rough and... a little cheesy? So far anyway.

Thoughts?

watch the fourth one, you'll know after that if it's for you or not

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Where's Wallace at? Where the fuck is Wallace? Where's Wallace, String? String! Where the fuck is Wallace? Huh?

Oct 31, 2017
Herc was such a major piece of shit. He ruined Randy's life and didn't protect Bubbles when he needed it which lead to the heartbreaking situation with Sherrod. I didn't think typing that out would make me tear up but it just did.

Fuck, man. The Wire is an epic that treats every character as if they are the main character when they are on screen. Think about how the show followed "minor" characters like "Poot" from a child to an adult.

Many character moments are shown to the viewer in small dialog-less vignettes; it's funny when people say that show isn't cinematic, somehow