• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 13, 2019
After completing the 3 routes in the game, you can access the shop by talking to a strange woman at the base camp. Here, you can buy all the non story related achievements/trophies with in-game currency.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the only game that offers this option. IIRC, reception to this was mixed: in one hand, there's no point in achievements/trophies if you can just buy them. On the other hand, making people realize that achievements/trophies are pointless was the actual point of the shop.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I never even realized this until my save file was long gone to take advantage of it. No Platinum trophy for me!

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I got the platinum trophy in Nier, and putting a trophy shop in Nier 2 was pretty much the only way Yoko Taro could adequately apologize for that cosmic horror of a mat grind

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't defeat the purpose of trophies because in order to afford to buy just a couple of them you have to play the game for dozens and dozens of hours. If you're 99% done and missing a couple of collectibles and have all this spare cash because you've already bought everything you need then having this option is great.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't defeat the purpose of trophies because in order to afford to buy just a couple of them you have to play the game for dozens and dozens of hours. If you're 99% done and missing a couple of collectibles and have all this spare cash because you've already bought everything you need then having this option is great.

Super easy to cheese.

Save -> spend all your money buying trophies -> load save and repeat until you have all your trophies

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
This would be nice to have for games with online only achievements/trophies.
The whole point Nier A did it is to shit on the value of pointless achievements. Doesn't make sense putting them in a game where achievements are there for the chase, especial those ridiculous MP achievements.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If memory serves me right, Chancellor Wellager in Dark Souls 2 fills a somewhat similar role. If you play to NG++, he sells the multiplayer items required for certain trophies so you can still complete them in single player. It is essentially just buying what you need to finish certain trophies.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
so what? He could hand em out for currency earned but he build a shop for them. The results are similar.

This guy is not infallible. Nier trophies were just grinding and growing stuff on a field. These were better.

Automata hard mode is shit. Enemies sneeze and you go back to the unskippable intro. The game had other major flaws, some kind of in-game currency shop is nothing in comparison.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The whole point Nier A did it is to shit on the value of pointless achievements. Doesn't make sense putting them in a game where achievements are there for the chase, especial those ridiculous MP achievements.

Nah, it doesnt come across that way at all. It seemed more like he wanted to offer an easy platinum that just required you to beat all main routes while also offering a tough platinum for those that wanted it. That way, core audiences win and content tourists win

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really cheating, just an alternative method of unlocking. You still have to fully complete the game to get to the shop. Just because it doesn't mention the shop as an alternate requirement doesn't mean you didn't unlock a trophy one of the ways intended.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this was a meta commentary on the pointlessness of trophies, Nier 1 had some really horrific trophies and i'm sure he got feedback on that and implemented a system to make it less frustrating for players.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We dont deserve Taro. Best game designer alive today.

He also doesnt go around saying hes creating new genres!

Dude is also humble as hell, sharing with Platinum full credits for the game sucess.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I was interested but now I'm definitely buying.

Umdlye

Oct 27, 2017
I played this game for the first time this month, went in pretty much completely blind. Halfway through the game I took a look at my trophy list and noticed relatively high percentages on all the trophies, which was weird because it felt like the game had quite a lot to do. Opening that shop for the first time explained a lot :D

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Joke
The hatred some people on ERA have for achievements will never not be amusing.

Show me on the doll where the achievements touched you.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I had to buy the trophy for playing in 9S's underwear for an hour because it just would never proc no matter how long I tried

I love that game

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
i think undertale has same thing ? i think !!

Not quite, there's a new gag area that wants you to put coins in it to unlock the trophies (Which you have to do one at a time, and the game even makes jokes of that progress) but there is also the standard progression trophies for arriving in each area once (Stopping at Core, so as to not spoil the end game).

Nov 14, 2017
It'd be nice for other games to do this. Imagine just being able to buy online/PVP-only cheevos for games that have dead online communities.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
3rd Wall breaking IMO. This and the end game choice are a few reasons why this game will be memorable for me.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I didn't know this existed lol
Got the plat now. I wish this was available for other games. It would stop annoying trophies from messing up your flow in a game.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Spent hours fishing for rare fish. The shock of the size of a basking shark was a neat memory at least, followed by the basking shark machine. I knew about the achievement shop but I played the game as if I were hunting achievements anyway.

Except for the looking up 2B's skirt one. I climbed a few ladders rotating the camera on auto pilot before thinking oh yeah, there's an achievement shop.

I filed it away as something to remember but I didn't realize the Meta commentary until I actually started buying the achievements. It was as very "wait, then all that stuff I did before was ..." Ah, I get what you're saying now, that's funny.

I still go for achievements but I skip the annoying ones now. It's usually a cool thing to highlight what the game wants you to see. Thanks Nier Automata.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Never knew about this, weird but cool. Guess that explains the high Platinum percentage.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
yoko_taro_mask.png

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can see many haven't play Avatar. Give you every achievement in the first 5 minutes

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I knew about the shop and still decided to get them the actual way, but that was back when I had time for messing around with a game longer than necessary. Now I wouldn't bother.
Put them in all video games. Make the meaningless system worthless.
Got a better one: Y'all should put that irrational hatred for achievements towards something that actually matters to realize how meaningless that hatred is.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Another thread, another reason for some people to pointlessly dogpile achievement systems. Y'all got anything better to talk about?

I personally took it as a funny meta thing. And I used it for a few trophies I wouldn't have attempted normally.