• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't even heard of this game before this thread.

It's from the Momodora guys so it's day one for me.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really looking forward to it. Momodora is great and I have no doubt that this will be as well.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
lol OP you should have mentioned it's a sequel to Momodora in the title! I'm so in for this even though the timing is just AWFUL.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Played up through the first boss. It's looking pretty good. Gratz to the devs.

I got a bonus item for beating the first boss without taking damage. I did not get the item when I took damage, even self-inflicted damage caused by the blood incense. Might want to pay attention to killing bosses with no hits.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Does anybody know if this game still has the thing from Momodora where you get special items if you beat a boss without taking damage?
I purposely restarted the first boss to make sure I didn't get hit, and I got a frigid incense from it, but I don't know whether you would just normally get it from the boss or what...

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Not fan fan of the style; pixel art worked way better than this. But if the game's good I might bite, I loved Momodora.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I have played for a couple of hours at this point. It seems like a quality metroidvania with soulslike combat, but some aspects are annoying me.

Picked up items, opened doors and map clearing progress are only saved at save points, so you are heavily incentivized for backtracking to a save point every time you have accomplished something. It doesn't help that save points are quite far apart, that ordinary enemies can kill you quite easily and that various mini-boss encounters tend to show up without any notice. At this point I have lost progress several times by randomly stumbling into dangerous situations, which has been much less fun than in a Dark Souls game due to the non-persistence of items, shortcuts and map clearing progress after death. The only sane way to tackle the game seems to be with a tedious and cowardly playstyle.

The graphics look nice, but I get quite a bit of lag when playing on my overpowered PC (9900k, 2080 Ti). I am sure that this will be fixed with patches down the line, or it may be some issue related to running in high resolutions (I have been playing in 4k on my tv). One very specific nitpick related to graphics is that the locked gates that close off different parts of the map do not indicate which key is needed to open them, which results in unnecessary trial and error busy work when trying every key you get at every door.

The combat system is quite good. You have to manage light attacks, special attacks, parrying and dodging in the usual soulslike fashion. I think this is the strength of the game, but the points listed above detract from the fun of combat somewhat.

I am curious to play more of the game, but I currently think it falls short of Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight quite a bit.

OP
OP
Kunomori

Kunomori

Nov 1, 2017
I have played for a couple of hours at this point. It seems like a quality metroidvania with soulslike combat, but some aspects are annoying me.

Picked up items, opened doors and map clearing progress are only saved at save points, so you are heavily incentivized for backtracking to a save point every time you have accomplished something. It doesn't help that save points are quite far apart, that ordinary enemies can kill you quite easily and that various mini-boss encounters tend to show up without any notice. At this point I have lost progress several times by randomly stumbling into dangerous situations, which has been much less fun than in a Dark Souls game due to the non-persistence of items, shortcuts and map clearing progress after death. The only sane way to tackle the game seems to be with a tedious and cowardly playstyle.

The graphics look nice, but I get quite a bit of lag when playing on my overpowered PC (9900k, 2080 Ti). I am sure that this will be fixed with patches down the line, or it may be some issue related to running in high resolutions (I have been playing in 4k on my tv). One very specific nitpick related to graphics is that the locked gates that close off different parts of the map do not indicate which key is needed to open them, which results in unnecessary trial and error busy work when trying every key you get at every door.

The combat system is quite good. You have to manage light attacks, special attacks, parrying and dodging in the usual soulslike fashion. I think this is the strength of the game, but the points listed above detract from the fun of combat somewhat.

I am curious to play more of the game, but I currently think it falls short of Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight quite a bit.

Lagging? Oh God... My PC is pretty weak and now I am afraid

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Play a little with my toaster laptop, seem everyone want to develope soul like 2D this day LOL.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Oh wow this looks great! Totally flew under my radar... Come on pay day - get here!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
is this a waifu game?

What does that even mean? But no I guess.

Does anybody know if this game still has the thing from Momodora where you get special items if you beat a boss without taking damage?
I purposely restarted the first boss to make sure I didn't get hit, and I got a frigid incense from it, but I don't know whether you would just normally get it from the boss or what...

It does apparently.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Played up through the first boss. It's looking pretty good. Gratz to the devs.

I got a bonus item for beating the first boss without taking damage. I did not get the item when I took damage, even self-inflicted damage caused by the blood incense. Might want to pay attention to killing bosses with no hits.
This was the case in Momodora as well. not really too much a secret. but a nice perk for doing well. I'm finding it hard to do simply because i take dmg from touching a boss more than being hit by attacks.

Played a whole bunch of the game this morning before work, maybe 2-3 hours? Beat like 4 bosses and got to a few areas. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. If you liked Momodora: ROTM you'll instantly love this, hands down.

is this a waifu game?

Not in the story or tone so far. It's definitely got some cheesecake in the character designs. I found a secret letter early on that suggests
a girl was repentant for giving in to temptation and masturbating. But i am waiting to see if there is a greater exploration of women's sexual agency and how it interacts with historical oppression of women which is a typical element of "witch" history. There could be a story in there, but i'm waiting to see. I will note that convents and witchcraft are both understood to have a lot of same-sex history to unpack.

Last edited:

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
This was the case in Momodora as well. not really too much a secret. but a nice perk for doing well. I'm finding it hard to do simply because i take dmg from touching a boss more than being hit by attacks.

Played a whole bunch of the game this morning before work, maybe 2-3 hours? Beat like 4 bosses and got to a few areas. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. If you liked Momodora: ROTM you'll instantly love this, hands down.

Not in the story or tone so far. It's definitely got some cheesecake in the character designs. I found a secret letter early on that suggests
a girl was repentant for giving in to temptation and masturbating. But i am waiting to see if there is a greater exploration of women's sexual agency and how it interacts with historical oppression of women which is a typical element of "witch" history. There could be a story in there, but i'm waiting to see. I will note that convents and witchcraft are both understood to have a lot of same-sex history to unpack.

I think the game might be trafficking in some undertones that might be interesting if it's done with earnest intent. But we'll see.

Now that i am thinking hard about it .... early thematic speculation
Lots of flowers, a "blossoming" witch, the initiation rite, the title "Minoria", witches, nuns.... i think this game is going to delve into female sexuality a lot more
How's the combat feel? Does it have that sort of deliberate feeling of ROTM? Also what do you think of the usage of 3D? ROTM was beautiful, but I'm not sure how I feel about Minoria yet.

Cerulean_skylark

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How's the combat feel? Does it have that sort of deliberate feeling of ROTM? Also what do you think of the usage of 3D? ROTM was beautiful, but I'm not sure how I feel about Minoria yet.

The 3d is the beautiful part of the game. The backgrounds have a bit of a photoshoppy filter feel that makes it seem cheap. But the added subtle particle effects on top and use of 3d lighting make it far more atmospheric than momodora. The models are great, animate well and feel smooth.

It feels more deliberate than momodora. Since in this game, you don't get a default range attack, you only have a sword and a parry. all ranged is from usable incense that recharges on save. the parry needs specific timing. it can be useful, but i feel like it needs to do more damage. You will get additional weapons and each has its own unique charge attack that is limited use. (the 2nd sword gets only 1 charge before you have to save to get it back).

If you're worried about it not feeling like momodora, don't worry. it does.
If you're worried it's not pretty because the 3d. don't worry, it is, and in some ways more-so (although in the background quality, maybe less so for subjective reasons i stated.)

the ONLY gripe i have is that it can be hard to dodge through bosses when necessary so i take hits when i really don't feel like i should.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
The 3d is the beautiful part of the game. The backgrounds have a bit of a photoshoppy filter feel that makes it seem cheap. But the added subtle particle effects on top and use of 3d lighting make it far more atmospheric than momodora. The models are great, animate well and feel smooth.

It feels more deliberate than momodora. Since in this game, you don't get a default range attack, you only have a sword and a parry. all ranged is from usable incense that recharges on save. the parry needs specific timing. it can be useful, but i feel like it needs to do more damage. You will get additional weapons and each has its own unique charge attack that is limited use. (the 2nd sword gets only 1 charge before you have to save to get it back).

If you're worried about it not feeling like momodora, don't worry. it does.
If you're worried it's not pretty because the 3d. don't worry, it is, and in some ways more-so (although in the background quality, maybe less so for subjective reasons i stated.)

the ONLY gripe i have is that it can be hard to dodge through bosses when necessary so i take hits when i really don't feel like i should.
Awesome, that all sounds very promising! Looking forward to getting into it tonight. Thanks for the impressions.

Oct 27, 2017
Still gotta finish:

Axiom Verge
Hollow Knight
Timespinner
Iconoclasts
Bloodstained
Monster Boy

It's hard to get invested in another Metroidvania right now. The market seems to be pretty tapped at this point.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Er, does this not have controller support? My Xbox One controller is completely unrecognized.

edit: It apparently doesn't like it when I have two controllers plugged in simultaneously. Completely ignores my X1 pad in favor of an arcade stick.

Last edited:

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
why did i never heard about this game? loved momodora, damn i need to pick this!

ALSO STOP RELEASING ALL THE GAMES AT THE SAME TIME!!! I can't.... :(

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
Bought the game, got to play about 30 minutes and the gameplay fells really good, it isn't too far from Momodora. You take a lot of damage but the dodge and the parry mechanic are great, just did a fight against the first boss and I noticed that the boss and I guess normal enemies too have something like the stamina mechanic from Sekiro so parrying attacks helps you to stagger enemies faster. Here's the fight if someone is interested.

You definitely get an item for beating the boss without taking damage and I think the items are unique just like in Momodora.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Played maybe an hour. Definitely feels Momodora-ish in both mood and combat. It does feel a little less satisfying to move around and fight though imo, something about it almost feels a little buggy? Nothing that destroys the experience, but it just doesn't feel as good as RUtM or Hollow Knight.

The game is totally beautiful, I love the style, and I'm surprised to find I'm a huge fan of the 3D models, they look and animate really excellently most of the time with a few small exceptions.

Combat so far is pretty shallow and not too satisfying, but I've seen that there are other combos and whatnot to unlock, and I think that will help a lot. I'm hoping there's something that increases the use of a parry, because at the start it doesn't feel worth the risk.

Overall I'm still really excited to play more and I definitely feel that I'll enjoy the game, but to what degree I'm still waiting to see. I fell in love with Momo 4 immediately, but this one hasn't had that effect. That being said, I see potential and I think it's very possible it will deliver.

OP
OP
Kunomori

Kunomori

Nov 1, 2017
Bought the game, got to play about 30 minutes and the gameplay fells really good, it isn't too far from Momodora. You take a lot of damage but the dodge and the parry mechanic are great, just did a fight against the first boss and I noticed that the boss and I guess normal enemies too have something like the stamina mechanic from Sekiro so parrying attacks helps you to stagger enemies faster. Here's the fight if someone is interested.

You definitely get an item for beating the boss without taking damage and I think the items are unique just like in Momodora.

Oh fuck yeah, we need to beat them without taking damage. Gonna restart my run

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
I finished my first play-through yesterday. It's pretty dang good. The only issue I experienced was unstable frame-rate, but the game wasn't dropping frames. So I guess perhaps it's an issue with the engine?

Apart from that, the game has great art, atmosphere and music. The combat is pretty satisfying, though most encounters are fairly easy.

The main gripe I had with the game was that, for me, most of the Incenses (spells) weren't worth using. The only spell I actually liked beyond the beginning of the game was Storm. Keep in mind I didn't get any(?) of the flawless boss kill spells.

The other thing that bothered me is this; You have three spell slots - you use spells with Triangle/Y. You switch between spells with L2/R2. Why do I need to switch to a spell to use when there's enough buttons to put each spell on a separate button? I know this seems like a nitpick, but I had issue with this. The combat is just frantic enough where having to switch to a spell can cause a death.

Otherwise, great game and I enjoyed myself!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight to bits so will pick up day one whenever it hits consoles.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I JUST finished Momodora last night. What a great game! I'll buy this the moment it launches on Switch.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Big fan of RUTM, so I bought this immediately to show my support, though I may not get started on it until after I finish Control.

Cerulean_skylark

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Almost near the end (unless something big happens to change that).

Only real gripe i have is that the Parry is way underpowered. And too many times you are between the hurt-box and the enemy sprite. So your parry does nothing but dodging is dangerous.