• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Favorite game of all time. It's amazing that a anime jrpg with a talking bear can speak better about the human experience than many serious games/movies.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Thats literally the first dungeon, so I would say ya, you should play more. At least to get rolling in social links and the characters
Well I actually can't since my PS3 died a long time ago.

So if I were to play again it'd have to be through Golden (which would mean getting a Vita, which I'm willing to do I've been meaning to get one at some point anyway. )

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Honestly the greatest game I have ever played. I love everything about it, warts and all (*cough*MARIE*cough*).

I've been thinking of doing another replay of the Vita version since I'm 1-2 trophies away from the platinum.

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with this. I like P4, but my enjoyment of the game is really hampered by the disgusting creeps called Yosuke Hanamura and Teddie. Terrible characters in almost every regard. Hanamura with his homophobia and Teddie with his attitude toward girls.

Kanji is my bro in this game.
Agreed on Kanji and the two assholes.

Kanji deserved better than to be a punching bag for Youske's bullshit. I wish you could take a stance and call him out and defend Kanji. I really hope they don't have any mascot in the next game. An animal like Koromaru would be much better.
Well I actually can't since my PS3 died a long time ago.

So if I were to play again it'd have to be through Golden (which would mean getting a Vita, which I'm willing to do I've been meaning to get one at some point anyway. )
Golden was really tight. It feels really well put together and the new content fit in perfectly.

Also if you like character interactions in Persona 5 with the cast and different events like Hawaii then Golden has them in spades.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
It's a pretty fantastic game, but I can't say I agree with the idea that it's better than P5... P4's cast might be stronger, but the main plot takes a backseat as a result. And that aside, P5 is better in pretty much every other aspect (with some improvements being quantum leaps on the same level as the jump from P2 to P3)... OST, dungeons, game design, style, UI, etc.

P4's main cast is easily the strongest in the entire series though, so I can understand preferring P4 if you value that above everything else... especially if you relate to any of their story arcs.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta be honest, I could never get into P4... But is Golden that big of an upgrade? I only played the port of the original from PSN on PS3.

But I just found it the structure of it kind of tedious and boring. I only made it to Shadow Yukiko so maybe I had to play more?

I kinda had the same issue with P3P where I just didn't care for anything that was the actual plot, but to get to the actual plot you had drone on with Tartarus and really boring social links which all felt like baggage.

It wasn't until P5 where this franchise finally got me hooked (and yeah, I've played P1 and Innocent Sin) and because of that I'd like to give both this and P3 another shot at some point.
Golden is so much better than the base game...
It's one of the most inviting and easy to get into RPGs ever lol.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Golden is so much better than the base game...
Disagree, Marie is meh. The new events are a welcome addition too.

P4 is my favorite Persona, far better than 3/5 and one of my favorite JRPG/game ever. Even when I played 4G a few years ago I was absorbed with the story and events, more than when playing most JRPG for the first time.

I wonder if Atlus will be able to recapture what made the game so great in the future.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disagree, Marie is meh. The new events are a welcome addition too.

P4 is my favorite Persona, far better than 3/5 and one of my favorite JRPG/game ever. Even when I played 4G a few years ago I was absorbed with the story and events, more than when playing most JRPG for the first time.

I wonder if Atlus will be able to recapture what made the game so great in the future.
Royal sort of looks like it is moving towards a similar tone, so I have some hope.

Oct 27, 2017
Despite loving PS1 JRPGs Persona never caught my attention there. Then I remember first reading about Persona 3 and the idea of only one dungeon and it being a bunch of random floors turned me off and I kind of wrote the series off and didn't even realize there was a Persona 4 until I started hearing about the Giant Bomb Endurance Run. I started watching that and realized I might actually like Persona. There was definitely something there. So I bought 3 and 4 and played them back to back. Loved the hell out of them, and both are in my top 10 JRPGs. Persona 4 is definitely a classic. And funny enough, I prefer the random dungeons in 3 and 4 to the ones in 5.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Persona 4 is just so comfy. Persona 3 and 5 have different vibes to them that are different and still good, but nothin is quite as relaxing as P4.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
P4's main cast is easily the strongest in the entire series though, so I can understand preferring P4 if you value that above everything else... especially if you relate to any of their story arcs.
I will go and say it is Persona 3, especially if you play FeMC. As MC, most of the male characters feel undeveloped, especially Shinji.

Not only in P3 each party member has their own development through their social links, but also through the main plot. Their experiences in the story help them progress as people and make their Personas more powerful. Also, FeMC is one of the best protagonists in the entire series. She is a silent protagonist, but you can feel how friendly and approachable she is toward her dorm companions and friends. In my headcanon, she is the real SEES leader. That said, I love how a jerk MC is. His responses are great to have a laugh.

Add to that that the party members aren't too friendly with each other at the beginning or they aren't praising each step the MC does. Junpei, in his insecurity, lashes out against the protagonist many times. Yukari doesn't like Mitsuru. Mitsuru distrusts almost everyone because of her family's past. Ken and Shinji... Anyways, best cast for me will always be Persona 3.

That said, MC has some terrible social links. Kenji can go to hell. He is like Hanamura. I'm so glad Junpei got the magician social link in the FeMC route.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I've been itching to give the game another shot lately, and now that I have a Vita again, I think I'll do just that. I absolutely loved almost everything about the game (like some others, I just put it on easy so I could focus more on the story, so I didn't mind the dungeons very much), but the way the game treated Kanji and Naoto really rubbed me the wrong way. But seeing that others in this thread interpreted the treatment of them differently makes me want to try to give it another chance and maybe see if I can do the same, because otherwise, I thought it was such a damn good game (though I never finished it).

I will say this though: anyone who loves the game's music (and really, who doesn't?) should listen to some of the remixes from Dancing All Night. Nearly everything is pure fire.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been itching to give the game another shot lately, and now that I have a Vita again, I think I'll do just that. I absolutely loved almost everything about the game (like some others, I just put it on easy so I could focus more on the story, so I didn't mind the dungeons very much), but the way the game treated Kanji and Naoto really rubbed me the wrong way. But seeing that others in this thread interpreted the treatment of them differently makes me want to try to give it another chance and maybe see if I can do the same, because otherwise, I thought it was such a damn good game (though I never finished it).

I will say this though: anyone who loves the game's music (and really, who doesn't?) should listen to some of the remixes from Dancing All Night. Nearly everything is pure fire.

I definitely think you should give it a second chance. It's a lovely game, a beautiful experience, really.

Oct 27, 2017
I will go and say it is Persona 3, especially if you play FeMC. As MC, most of the male characters feel undeveloped, especially Shinji.

Not only in P3 each party member has their own development through their social links, but also through the main plot. Their experiences in the story help them progress as people and make their Personas more powerful. Also, FeMC is one of the best protagonists in the entire series. She is a silent protagonist, but you can feel how friendly and approachable she is toward her dorm companions and friends. In my headcanon, she is the real SEES leader. That said, I love how a jerk MC is. His responses are great to have a laugh.

Add to that that the party members aren't too friendly with each other at the beginning or they aren't praising each step the MC does. Junpei, in his insecurity, lashes out against the protagonist many times. Yukari doesn't like Mitsuru. Mitsuru distrusts almost everyone because of her family's past. Ken and Shinji... Anyways, best cast for me will always be Persona 3.

That said, MC has some terrible social links. Kenji can go to hell. He is like Hanamura. I'm so glad Junpei got the magician social link in the FeMC route.
The structure of how Persona 3 does things is still the best in the modern Persona games. Sure you had the Boss each full moon stuff but the way the characters develope and how the MC ties in to all that was much better than how it became in the next games. It was much more interesting than "new character gets dungeon then join the team and gets forgotten" style that is in 4 and 5. 3's cast gets developed throughout the whole game so you never know how things will go.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
P4 had so many more moments of hanging out with the crew doing basically nothing plot crucial, it actually endeared me WAY more to them than I ever got with the P5 crew. With P4G I was basically depressed when I had to leave the gang, in P5 I was like "llllllllllllllllater"
Well then. Maybe I don't need to play persona 5 then. The characters and relationships in p4 is what made the game so great to me. If that Sam's great characterization isn't there in p5 I don't want to sodbd 100 hours with these characters

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If all that wasn't enough, Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth recently launched in Japan, a 3DS follow-up to the RPG spin-off that unites the Phantom Thieves of Persona 5 with everyone else; there's currently no word on a North American release, however.
Huh? Man, this thing is going to go so under the radar.

Good article, though. Even if it's about the worst of the modern trilogy. Regardless of the team dynamic, much more effort was put into character development and individuality (not everything being revolved around the main character) in Persona 3. I loved that about P3, and P4 eliminated it. And that carried on, to a certain extent, to P5.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well then. Maybe I don't need to play persona 5 then. The characters and relationships in p4 is what made the game so great to me. If that Sam's great characterization isn't there in p5 I don't want to sodbd 100 hours with these characters
If it helps from what I hear the upcoming version might be adding more of these hanging out scenes. And even though I liked p4g better it doesn't mean p5 didn't make me care. Just not as much.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the characters in 5 were great, less hangouts than 4, but some of them are really well written. Hopefully R adds more moments, which it looks like it will

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait for Royal, it looks like it expands the team dynamic greatly.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Koromaru style mascots is fine. You could argue Aigis is a mascot for 3 too if we stretch it a bit. Much better than what we got in 4 and 5.
I agree, to a certain extent. Those characters are so blatantly designed to be mascots that it devalues them from the outset. It didn't help that Morgana's backstory was pretty much the same as Teddie's. There were many elements in P5 that the game took from P4, and some of them were made worse (though I prefer Morgana to Teddie).

From a marketing/merchandising standpoint, Persona 6 will probably have another mascot. But with a new team and to avoid being too redundant, I have hopes that P6 makes things much more different than what P4 did.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I wrote a thread about P4G few months ago.

Fantastic game which made me think of my highschool days.

I loved the characters, the setting and the story. God, the setting. I wish I could have grown in Inaba.

Can I also say that Chie is best girl?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Those hang out scenes at June's were the best. That's what p5 needs it sounds like.
Eh. There are plenty of scenes with the P5 characters hanging out at their own home base of operations. When people talk about casual hangout scenes, it's more about other stuff. Like the camping trip, school festival, etc. Times completely disassociated from the main plot. Which P4 could do more easily, since things aren't as urgent as they are in P5.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Royal sort of looks like it is moving towards a similar tone, so I have some hope.
I'll play Royal day one for sure, but I fear that it will be basically a longer, even worse paced game. I hope that all the new additions also mean that some things will be replaced, but who knows. I hope that aside from a new playable period the game changes a lot the existing content and removes some repetitive text.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Man, this thing is going to go so under the radar.

Doesn't it release on June 4?

Anyway. Persona 4 is my favourite game ever. It's comfy and it legit felt like sharing adventures with your friends. Inaba was such a good choice for this game, I simply love it.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Koromaru style mascots is fine. You could argue Aigis is a mascot for 3 too if we stretch it a bit. Much better than what we got in 4 and 5.

I'd definitely say Aigis is the mascot of P3 over Koromaru. Even if you compare Aigis and Teddie from a story perspective, they're similar. Both are non-humans who go through an existential crisis and wish to become humans. And as the game goes on Aigis's plot importance only increases while Koromaru barely even counts as a character.

Plus Aigis has basically become the face of P3 in the post-p3 spin-offs and re-releases: she's the main character of The Answer, she was one of the few P3 characters to get into the original P4A, and in P3D she's literally the icon in the title of the game like how Teddie is for P4D and Morgana is for P5D.

Oct 30, 2017
Persona 4 is a big thing that pulled me out of a really really bad time in my life. I bonded with that entire cast way more than I ever thought I would and found myself really invested in the stories and outcomes of all those characters. Persona 4 made me happy at the time when nothing else could. It is not only my favorite RPG of all time, I consider it the best game ever made.

Also #NaotoBestGirl

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I've always felt P4 and Golden were a downgrade from 3 and P3P.

I respect 4 but so many of its elements just didn't appeal to me and it did not have the same profound emotional effect on me that P3 did.

Then again it seems like people's first persona game is the one they're ride or die for. Kinda like Pokemon generations.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
My train of thought. A GameSpot article on Persona? Has to be from Michael Higham, clicks on article and yup lol. That dude loves him some Persona.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Man, P4 is so good. The small town murder mystery setting especially is what makes me so fond of it. The whole thing was just engaging from start to finish. I still think P3 is the best out of the modern Persona games but P4 comes super close.

That Giant Bomb Endurance Run of it is 10/10, not to mention the anime, spin-offs, P4G etc...

I'm going to miss Atlus milking it to death.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Ah yes! The best modern Persona title and one of the best JRPGs of all time! I remember crying at the end of the True Ending back in '08 because I was convinced that it would be the last time that I'd ever see the Investigation Team. Half a dozen spinoffs and two anime series later, it's clear that my feelings at the time were way off, but I still cherish the 200+ hours I spent with the gang between the original game and Golden.

If Persona 6 can put together a party that feels as tight knit as the Investigation Team, then they've already improved upon one of my main issues with P5.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
My favourite game of all time until P5 came out. Even if I found P5 to be better overall I still have a soft spot for the setting and general vibe of P4.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I still like P4, but prefer pretty much everything about P5 minus setting (P5 Tokyo's great, yet I also have a personal fondness for the Japanese countryside) and soundtrack (I may consider P5 the superior game in the Hashino trilogy and have been increasingly harsh on P3 over the years, but Meguro's work on each game's music has been consistently excellent). Entirely too many complaints about P3's cast and their awful co-worker dynamic, and felt that P4's cast screwed around too much, preferred the balance that P5's found (the fact that it took longer for most of them to bond rather than becoming buddy-buddy in a short amount of time was also interesting to me).

Last edited: