• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is probably one of my favorite eshop titles ever. The minigames are fun and the sound design is absolutely phenomenal, with every crack of the bat registering. It's one of those rare sports titles that I like to call "For Love of The Game" games, that sell themselves not on realism and accurate simulations, but on the nostalgic, childhood love of the sport. But this thread isn't about that.

Rusty was most famous for how it handled microtransactions. The game was, as Nintendo calls them, "free-to-start": you could download it for free and play a limited number of minigames. It was more of a platform, really, that sold you minigames $4 a pop... with a catch.

Normally, the "catch" is bad, but in this case it was...different. Playing through the game's story allowed you actually haggle each minigames' prices down to $1.50~$2 with Rusty, the store owner. You helped him get his groove back all in the name of a good deal.

Now this is a pretty big inversion when it comes to microtransactions. Normally, it goes "pay some money to continue playing this game that you have invested your time in" to "invest your time in this game's story so you don't have to waste that much money."

At the time, Nintendo had some pretty interesting takes on MTX. Pokemon Picross, for example, had a spending cap that meant that after you bought an X amount of premium currency, it could be mined infinitely for free. Now, six years after Rusty, it seems that, unfortunately, the traditional model has taken over.

That said, would you guys like to see other weird takes on monetization like this one? If Rusty gets a sequel on the Switch, should they keep this aspect of the game? Will Nintendo come back to this?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was wonderfully weird and it's sad that the experimental side of 3DS-WiiU era Nintendo has been pretty much canned. What happens if you're dumb enough to pay full price for the game is wild as well

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Picross is the way I wish all games would handle micro-transactions. I happily dropped $30 on the game, knowing that would be all I would ever have to spend.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
For the OP example, I have to question why they can't have had the 'discount' price as the og price for everyone. Sounds like they inflated the real value price, and then held it behind hoops and loops.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's pay schemes during the 3DS era were fascinating. I'm still collecting badges from that predatory bunny.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
genuinely good game with a delightful hook

I wish Rusty didn't look like a garfield though

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played it but I always loved the concept of it. If we did get a Switch sequel I'd like to see a similar microtransaction style.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
For the OP example, I have to question why they can't have had the 'discount' price as the og price for everyone. Sounds like they inflated the real value price, and then held it behind hoops and loops.

The haggling isn't that hard really, and is really a legitimate part of the game. Sure, it's a bit risky that people might not see through it and feel ripped off, but well, I dunno, I think the rare creative risk like this is worth its method.

Feb 15, 2019
I love Smite's monetization for the most part. For people that don't know, Smite is a F2P MOBA where you can spend 24 Euro to unlock all current and future gods (the characters you use in the game) forever. The big bulk of their money comes from skins. Of course because of that there's a ton of limited skins which is annoying browsing through gods and seeing half the skins aren't available at the moment. But it's worth it if it means the god pack can exist.

From reading the op that seems kinda similar to the Pokemon Picross unlimited mining?

Of course Dota 2 has all characters for free period. But I haven't really played Dota so I don't know much about its monetization.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I consider it to be a comedic analog to Assassin's Creed selling experience points.

You can play the game and pay less, or skip the game by paying more

OP
OP
Squid Bunny

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
You clearly forgot about Mario Kart Tour.
How do mtx work there? I'll admit I played it a couple of times and then never touched it again.
Pokemon Picross is the way I wish all games would handle micro-transactions. I happily dropped $30 on the game, knowing that would be all I would ever have to spend.
Me too. I basically bought it in installments. It's the 6th most played 3DS game in my library (90+ hours) and I haven't even touched the Mega Picross levels for real.
True, that can be argued. Although I believe the hoops and loops were mostly harmless, as it just wanted you to help an old man out.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The game very actively discouraged you from paying full price and made the haggling bits incredibly obvious. The haggling was the whole point of that mechanic. It's also tied to the story too, since you get leverage in haggling by trading items to Rusty that improves his life in someway. If you opt to buy at full price, an otherwise unseen character named Pappy von Poodle helps Rusty instead. This happened so rarely that Pappy literally didn't appear on google searches until years after the game came out.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Same for Pokémon Picross, I actually hit the cap and it felt like a regular video game after that. And I liked that.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Rusty's was soooo good! It was really creative with how it handled microtransactions. Hard to be mad at the game when the maximum amount you can spend is $24, period (although it's very unlikely you'll even hit $20 if you play according to the design intents of the game). It would be really sinister if the microtransactions were endless.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Last edited by a moderator:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

I *think* that Kirby boss arena game on Switch has the same structure, I seem to remember an 'infinite apples' unlock.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Pokemon Picross was worse for making the game even worse until you spent $32 on it to remove all of the dumb barriers to playing it like a normal Picross, but what you got is worse than the $8-$10 games that Jupiter released themselves.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC Bosman got me to look at it and give it a shot. I spent a few bucks on it just to see, but rather quickly quit. I think I did the same with that badge game and the F2P/Start Pokemon games. Man, I was weak. LOL

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
...would you guys like to see other weird takes on monetization like this one? If Rusty gets a sequel on the Switch, should they keep this aspect of the game? Will Nintendo come back to this?

Wasn't familiar with the game before reading this thread (and watching that one quoted video), but I'm typically (and was here again) kinda delighted with how Nintendo approaches these types of things. It never feels like they're trying to follow in anyone's footsteps; it's more like they're experimenting, and I dig that.

Not sure I want to see more of this particular thing, though.