• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
My daughter asked me to roll down her window this morning so her phone could catch the breeze and get a better internet connection. She was under the impression that internet travels by wind. She is seven and i found it cute.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
These were my shit. I was SO excited by them
In Italy we had also a local multimedia encyclopedi called Omnia. I got one every christmas from 1997 to 2001. I love encynclopedias so much.
bed56f70a5c55cbe8bc2bf51f88becc4.jpg

And also educational games like Opera Fatal or Physikus.
78247-opera-fatal-macintosh-front-cover.jpg

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just a reminder that we are still using the code foundation of Netscape Navigator today but it has evolved into something we call Mozilla Firefox

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I didn't get my first computer until 1999, so I never experienced this. We got AOL floppies and discs in the mail all of the time, and the friend that I had who had a computer typically used AOL for the Internet and browser. My family used MSN for our dialup, and from there just used the available web browsers. It was already built into Windows '98.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I don't, but I know what you're talking about because I saw CNN's The Nineties. I started my Internet in November 1995 with AOL.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
In a very Microsoft move, they licensed Internet Explorer 1 from Spyglass Inc. for a percentage of non-Windows revenue. So by bundling it with Windows for free, they didn't have to pay any royalties. This, of course, killed off the short-lived attempt by Netscape to make any money selling a browser to people as a product.

I remember those wild and crazy days, my first browser being NCSA Mosaic. I even remember some pre-web stuff like Gopher. Simpler times, if not necessarily better.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, no, I don't remember this because it was mostly never the case for most people. I was a fairly early "normal consumer" user of the internet, early 90s. But, the software came on disks that Prodigy sent you in the mail for us.

XlIhXkQ.png

GT1mCdZ.png

The browsing experience was pretty different those days anyway, I spent most of my time in Prodigy's 'walled garden,' which looked like this:

KC2h9q6.png

I spent most of my time on the BBS, videogames and wrestling in particular:

skhswhc.png

BUt then at some point realize there was a WWW Feature that brought you to the wider world-wide-web. This was a diversion from AOL whidh was strictly a walled garden.

bkUVdLC.png

There was a crazy sense of discovery in those days, especially for a 9-10 year old. Although, I probably shouldn't have been participating in any of it.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Does anyone remember the original "Microsoft Gaming Zone" ?

Where it was an app you'd download, and it was a renaissance village with various huts and houses where you'd play games like Hearts, Poker, Solitaire online with others?

I haven't been able to find a screenshot of it for years. This was before they moved it to the website-based "MSN Gaming Zone" and opened it up to other games:
7oHQmMP2t_cyJ5Q14ZS86y1vyVvipWtB2HPJSWIE1XA.jpg

This was around the same time as Kali95.

sz14zqd77om01.jpg

fun fact: Kali95 was my first ever internet purchase with my mom's credit card. lifetime sub for $20 or something like that.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I got online in '96 when browsers were either mailed to you without you even asking for it or you could just go online and download it.

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
I remember the first time I used a browser, Mosaic. It was on a school computer (with multimedia capabilities!). World Wide Web wasn't really that impressive back then, it was kind of meh "style" over substance. All the cool stuff that was happening was in BBS's or accessed through shell account.

At home with a 2400 bps modem anything apart from ASCII/ANSI was basically a no go. I installed Netscape when I got a 14400 bps one but really, waiting for minutes at worst for a page to load that basically just has links to other pages you have to wait for minutes to load (unless you disabled images). It was only marginably usable apart for something really specific you needed.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Drive to a store? Pfft. I just pulled it down from an FTP connection on my high school's ISDN connection.

But ya, I remember the days of going to Future Shop and browsing the aisles of boxed software. Fractal Design Painter (now Corel Painter) came in an actual goddamn metal paint can.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
I have been using computers for a relatively long time (early 90's), and I have never had to buy a browser in a store.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Right before my time (didn't have a computer until 2000), but goodness gracious! lol

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I ever had to do that. We got the internet around '95 and AOL came installed with it's own flavor of Netscape, then later I.E. By the time I was able to get true non-AOL browser, it was easily downloadable.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No but I remember physically driving to a store to get map pack DLC

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
You needed at least 3 PhDs to install your ethernet card and get online at school in the early nineties. Then you could download netscape off the internet and a year or so later internet explorer. That was pretty fucking mind-blowing at first when you could download a program from the internet and install it on your computer.

You youngsters don't know how good you have it with your plug and play.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Also I'm 99% sure IE was preinstalled on Window 95, at least the later versions of Windows 95.
This is the introduction manual that I got on launch day for Windows 95:

It actually doesn't mention Internet Explorer at all even once in the entire manual, despite having an entire section of the manual dedicated to the internet:
i think some people get confused because there were windows 95 PCs you could buy that came with an IE disc/IE was pre-installed on it.

wiki says Microsoft didn't start to include IE with Windows 95 until 1996

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removal_of_Internet_Explorer
The first version to be included was version 2 with Windows 95 in late 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_95#Internet_Explorer
Windows 95 OEM Service Release 1 was the first release of Windows to include Internet Explorer (version 2.0) with the OS.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a Web dev, I remember using Internet Explorer of all things as a way to ftp files to a server lol

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
I remember the first computer I used had software/games on cassette tapes.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
I don't think I even purchased Navigator, but I did download it like a normal person. It was weird back then that you could buy it in stores too.

Now of course you can download your browser and use it for the low low cost of your privacy.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I just missed that era and instead got aol discs in the mail.

Years prior, as a kid, someone showed me "Netscape navigator" and this thing called the "world wide web" and I remember distinctly not knowing what the big deal was. Lol.

We are so spoiled today.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when OS launches were a fucking event?

55db8885dd0895ea428b461f-1136-852.jpg

Involving celebrities and MS buying the rights to a Rolling Stones song in perpetuity?

People got hyped as fuck over an operating system!?!

Windows_95_launch%2B%25281%2529.jpg

DMczaf why are you buying two copies!?!

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
In SF....Our High School (which was a relaunch at an old school site) gave us computers to take home. There were only freshmen that year.. we were also the first sophomores, etc.

This was the mid 90's. The computers looked like they were from the late 80's or something. They were used, they stunk, and made loud noises. Green and black screens. The school didn't give us instruction manuals. I didn't understand how to connect it to the internet but kept at it. Then realized I had to pay. They had Netscape I believe.

I think the school just moved on and acted like they never gave us those. Everyone would just use the computers at school. NOW THOSE were advanced....we had a bunch of PCs with Netscape. All the kids did was look up "yo momma" jokes.... music lyrics....and slow loading low detailed pics of naked women.

But in that lab, there was also this one special Apple Computer...it was more advanced that those PCs... it had *gasp* a text to speech feature. Shit was a fucking trip!