• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Hunt: Showdown started as Hunt: Horrors of The Gilded Age and was a third person, three/four player, free to play, left 4 dead style thing about trecking through a semi-linear open world whilst hunting for a creature related to that world.

It was, according to bollocks E3 talk, supposed to take place across multiple contintents and have full character customisation.

To being a first person PvPvE game about hunting one or more monsters through a small open world, populated by zombies and such.

I would say it's a little more than a third person to first person shift. I haven't played much of Showdown as the PVP puts me off, but it does feel like a different beast.

The Gilded Age also really resembles Remnant

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Mass Effect's combat was completely different, allowing you to control other squadmate like in KotOR.

Not only combat, the game was suppose to be a complete different game. The original design was completely different from the launch and yet, both the actual game and the original design document are both amazing and i would love to have both :(

actually, i've been trying to find the original Mass Effect Game Design Document/info for quite some time now, if you or anyone know where to find it would be great appreciated!

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Metal Gear Rising supposed to be a Kinect game? Where you cut peoples body parts by failing your hands around

Then Platinum games saved it and made it a crazy action game?

I think that's what happened anyway lol
It was never a Kinect game, since it was always multiplatform, but it definitely had a different approach.

I think the original idea was that it was still very much a "Metal Gear Solid" game, with stealth and everything that comes with it, but it never really came together, so it was cancelled by Kojima. They then handed it off to Platinum because the KojiPro staff still felt there was a game in there somewhere, Platinum stripped out the stealth aspects and made it pure hack and slash and, thus, the title changed. It was also originally set between MGS2 and MGS4 and once it became Revengeance, they changed it to after MGS4.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
The Witcher 2 back in alpha was a very much "true" sequel to Witcher 1, jank included.

So glad the game evolved how it did and to this day i still love Witcher 2 as much as i love 3.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
What ? Isn't that Yoshi-P's team ?
Also, wasn't Nomura busy with KH3 ?
You've never heard what happened with FFXIV? They developed ARR from scratch in only 2 and a half years, which is fucking insane for a RPG, let alone a MMO. And it only happened because management gave Yoshi-P their full support and pulled a shitload of staff off other divisions/projects to help get it done.

And if Nomura was busy with KH3, how do you think he worked on FFVIIR? From what I understand, the arrangement is basically that Nomura decides the overall direction of the KH games, while his co-director (Tai Yasue) handles day-to-day development.

Wasn't Metal Gear Rising supposed to be a Kinect game? Where you cut peoples body parts by failing your hands around

Then Platinum games saved it and made it a crazy action game?

I think that's what happened anyway lol
Kinect?! Wat.

Anyway, Resident Evil 1.5->2 is probably my favourite game of this type, mainly because it was such a myth while growing up. Though DMC's origins as RE3/RE4 is also a fun story.

Jun 13, 2020
No. If anything the Versus concept was preserved way too much in XV.
Exactly, what works in FFXV if the road trip experience. You go around in the car, do little side missions, you fish, you cook, you have little character moments. All of that is so chill and it's great (even though the combat is really bad). Then there's the Nomura/Versus stuff, which is complete garbage. Once you get on that train and the game decides to dedicate itself to its horrible story, it becomes indefensibly bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not only combat, the game was suppose to be a complete different game. The original design was completely different from the launch and yet, both the actual game and the original design document are both amazing and i would love to have both :(

actually, i've been trying to find the original Mass Effect Game Design Document/info for quite some time now, if you or anyone know where to find it would be great appreciated!
Are you referring to these?
m.imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
m.imgur.com

imgur.com

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
I love these sorts of threads! Keep the posts coming.

Never knew about Until Dawns shift, pretty much a completely different game minus the general concept/setting.

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
I have just played Until Dawn this week for the first time (got the platinum). One of the best games I've ever played, and probably my personal best horror game. What a piece of art. I'm so glad they changed the original idea.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Mother 3 starting life as a N64 game and ending up in 2D on the GBA. Especially as it seems the N64 game got quite a way through development.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
Hunt: Showdown started as Hunt: Horrors of The Gilded Age and was a third person, three/four player, free to play, left 4 dead style thing about trecking through a semi-linear open world whilst hunting for a creature related to that world.

It was, according to bollocks E3 talk, supposed to take place across multiple contintents and have full character customisation.

To being a first person PvPvE game about hunting one or more monsters through a small open world, populated by zombies and such.

I would say it's a little more than a third person to first person shift. I haven't played much of Showdown as the PVP puts me off, but it does feel like a different beast.

I didn't know this! I remember seeing that first trailer and getting really curious, thanks for this one!

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Cate Archer started out as a gruff James Bond-esque male spy before becoming a female and the game being reworked into a colourful austin powers spoof about the glass ceiling
hqdefault.jpg

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Warhawk from Single player/Story to Multiplayer only?

I loved both the original PS1 Warhawk (single player only) and the PS3 Version (multiplayer only), so I'm ok with the change.

to

Last edited:

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
Are you referring to these?
m.imgur.com

imgur.com

m.imgur.com

imgur.com

I've never heard of these before and just gave them a read. The original concept sounded pretty cool and I'd of loved to see it come to life (although I am not disappointed in what we got). Is there anymore? Or have only those two pages been made available?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

I think they could take the current Hunt and rework it as a PvE game, it could easily work. The game is way more refined and less hammy with some of those accents haha.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
"Ascension" was the first iteration of the Tomb Raider reboot. It was seemingly going to be a Survival Horror game in an open-world island with monsters, and it seemed to draw heavy inspiration from Japanese titles of the genre, and at times even Shadow of the Colossus and Ico, with its giant creatures and a child that Lara would have to protect and collaborate with.

YzEId4e.jpg

6xrufmJ.jpg

qMtSCL6.jpg

IVYpNMw.jpg

There's quite a bit of internal prototype footage as well:

Then the team ran a US-based survey to gather the reaction people would have to these ideas and prototypes and it was largely negative, so Crystal Dynamics scrapped pretty much all of it and we all know how the game actually turned out to be. The concept of Lara being stranded on a Japanese island was the only thing that survived the transition to a TPS game with a few survival elements.

The Ascension prototype was still very much a big departure from the regular Tomb Raider game, but I would've loved to see how the team would execute all those concepts; even if with a brand new IP.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I didn't know this! I remember seeing that first trailer and getting really curious, thanks for this one!
No worries. I had to re-check it a few times to make sure it wasn't something I had imagined in a fever dream

I think they could take the current Hunt and rework it as a PvE game, it could easily work. The game is way more refined and less hammy with some of those accents haha.

Yeah, the accent work is a bit rough, to say the least.

But I would 100% be down for a PVE mode. I get that the whole "competing hunters" is an aspect of it, but the stuff I played had some real jank when fighting NPCs I can't imagine what fighting other players must be like.

The beta footage is so similar to Remnant:From The Ashes that I had to check and yep, it started as Horrors of The Gilded Age.

Last edited:

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I did a video on Until Dawn PS3, its actually super neat!

Silent Hill Origins on PSP started out very differently iirc. When first shown it was a Resi 4 type over-the-shoulder third person game with a different art direction from typical SH titles... but by the time it released it was a standard fixed camera SH game with the usual trappings of the franchise.

I also did one looking at this. Hoping to revisit it with more details soon...

The story of that games dev are nuts. Long story short another dev swept in at the last minute to basically do all they could to create at game that was at least releasable. The dev did such a good job saving the project, in spite of the bad reviews, that they then we're given a chance to work on a Silent Hill game from the ground up that was entirely theirs. That ended up becoming Shattered Memories.
Story is in one of the newer Gamer Makers Notebook podcast

A bit different than that. Climax's LA branch made the first version of SHO. Gamescom came, the game didnt do as well. LA studio was shutdown in October, project was moved to the UK Climax branch, and reworked extremely quickly, recycling what assets they could.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017

It's crazy to me, as I thought that the game still looks like in the first showing, so TPP, focus on dodge rolls etc. Now I'm intrigued and might give it a go!

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Here's one I dearly wish we had any visual record of whatsoever:

STI wasn't sure how they could manage to produce a more technically impressive game than Sonic 2 using the stock Mega Drive hardware for another 2D platformer, and so the original concept they worked on for Sonic 3 was "Sonic 3D", a polygonal isometric platformer built using a SuperFX style addon chip Sega had in development at the time. Development on that version ran from January to June of '93, when it finally became clear that the chip wasn't going to be ready in time for Sonic 3 to ship. The game absolutely could not be delayed thanks to a major promotional contract with McDonald's that was already a done deal, so the project was abruptly restarted from scratch and the 2D Sonic 3 that hit store shelves was developed in about six months.

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
Donkey Kong famously began as a Popeye game! You can even see the Popeye influence in the finished product: Donkey Kong = Bluto, Mario = Popeye, Pauline = Olive Oyl. And I remember some of those old cartoons being set on a construction site.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chrono Trigger was a completely different game for SNES's CD attachment at one point. When the attachment got scrapped, they tossed out the entire game and started over. To take advantage of the ROM cartridge format, they decided to put no transitions between the exploration and battles leading to the battle system we all know and love today.

As the PS1 port showed, such a battle system was only truly achievable with no loading on a cart at the time. The game on CD would've looked quite different with separate battle screens.