• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Ryse was basically made in two years, they could have probably made a longer game with a longer development cycle, but they had the Xbox One launch as a deadline.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Warcraft 3 was going to be completely different.

Imagine the gaming landscape today if it did go that route.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Warcraft 3 was originally designed to be a hero character with a handful of mobs going around. They scrapped it and made it a traditional RTS with hero unit emphasis

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Rare the thread

Project Dream -> Banjo-Kazooie

Conker's Twelve Tales -> Conker's Bad Fur Day

Pro-Am 64 -> Diddy Kong Racing

Goldeneye rail shooter -> Goldeneye FPS

Dinosaur Planet -> Starfox Adventures

Gamecube Kameo -> Xbox Kameo

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Dragon Quest IX was originally an action RPG to fit cleanly with its new multiplayer focus, but was changed to turn based after backlash.

Funnily enough, the new Yakuza game stars a main character obsessed with Dragon Quest and also changed from action to turn based.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
You failed to mention how it originally started off as first person Kinect only title for the Xbox 360.
We didn't know what it was supposed to be when it was announced as Codename Kingdoms.

To me, it looked like they were trying to position it as the next big core IP alongside Gears, Halo or Fable. So you can imagine my surprise when it was re-revealed as a kinect title two years later.

Edit: or maybe it was the following year. I can't remember. The first teaser trailer was shown in 2010 though.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Alien Isolation was originally 3rd person, think it was revealed in a no clip documentary with some of the footage. Crazy stuff.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands also changed massively since the reveal

also Overstrike/Fuse, which followed the same path - but the other way around :(

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Sony, apparently anticipating the popularity of Gears of War, demanded that Naughty Dog change its Tolkien-inspired fantasy game to a third-person cover shooter.

Edit: The last time I brought this up, which would've been back on GAF, someone yelled at me, so allow to me to clarify that Uncharted is one of my most beloved franchises and Drake's Fortune in particular stands alongside A Thief's End as my favourite entry overall (I have a very soft spot for mysterious, jungle-infested islands with remnants of former civilisations/settlements/etc.).

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Duke Nukem Forever.
images

ClydeBonFrog

Apr 17, 2018
Sony, apparently anticipating the popularity of Gears of War, demanded that Naughty Dog change its Tolkien-inspired fantasy game to a third-person cover shooter.

Edit: The last time I brought this up, which would've been back on GAF, someone yelled at me, so allow to me to clarify that Uncharted is one of my most beloved franchises and Drake's Fortune in particular stands alongside A Thief's End as my favourite entry overall (I have a very soft spot for mysterious, jungle-infested islands with remnants of former civilisations/settlements/etc.).
I assume this mandate would have came down before either the 360 or PS3 released, so it's wild to me that Sony felt that pressure having a PS2 that was completely dominating the Xbox and Gamecube. (Funny enough this pressure didn't apply to the launch price or date of the PS3 either). Then again at the time a lot of Sony's first party stuff really didn't have that day one massive sales/hype release aura around them like MS did with Halo/Gears. During the PS2 it was mostly just Gran Turismo that would do a lot of sales for Sony and that was usually over a long period of time. They were right though, through Halo and Gears MS did position the 360 as the place to play shooters, and that would then bring on Call of Duty marketing and etc. Which certainly helped the 360 in being so dominate in America. But I feel like Sony kind of had it right with the PS2 portfolio, having a variety of games attracts a worldwide audience, something that has been repeated with the back half of the 360/PS3 gen and the PS4 gen.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
deadly premonition was originally announced as rainy woods, but some things in it had to be changed because it was too similar to twin peaks.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I assume this mandate would have came down before either the 360 or PS3 released, so it's wild to me that Sony felt that pressure having a PS2 that was completely dominating the Xbox and Gamecube.

Oh, most definitely. Gears was announced in mid-2005 -- ~two-and-a-half years before Uncharted ultimately released and ~18 months before the PS3 first hit shelves.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Hard to say for sure but it seems like Nioh was gonna be just another musou game

Oct 27, 2017
deadly premonition was originally announced as rainy woods, but some things in it had to be changed because it was too similar to twin peaks.

Is any of this in DP? Because what I see here makes me more interested than any footage I've ever seen of DP. I've mostly seen meme stuff or vids/reviews that mock it lovingly though.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is any of this in DP? Because what I see here makes me more interested than any footage I've ever seen of DP. I've mostly seen meme stuff or vids/reviews that mock it lovingly though.
yeah, it's largely the same. it's the name of the main character and some other minor things that were changed. if that trailer makes you interested, you'll probably like the game.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Doom 2016 is the result of almost 8 years of on-and-off development, including a previous version that was very inspired by military shooters of the 360/PS3 gen and would've had you helping Earth fight back against a Demon Invasion (the Doom 2 to Doom 3's reimagining of the first game)

Might be unrelated (as technically this was just ND deciding between 2 projects) but before deciding of The Last of Us, ND was strongly considering a reboot of Jak & Daxter, with a very realistic look to it.

Last edited:

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Zombi U started out as Killer Freaks From Outer Space and featured Raving Rabbid-esque alien critters as enemies.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely did not know that about Until Dawn. So glad they didn't go the original route, that looked awful.