• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
So with the rise of games going to $70 it reminds me of when some SNES and N64 games went up to $80. I remember when Chrono Trigger was $80 and Street Fighter II was $70. Also I remember many of Midway and Acclaims games being $70 and $80 like Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam. Though Nintendo games on SNES and N64 were usually at $60. The big reason for this was cartridge manufacturing for SNES and N64 were expensive compared to CD's. It was wild seeing new PlayStation games at $50 and SNES games being $60 to $80. The big difference now is games have DLC and special editions of games.

Last edited:

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Difference is I'm not buying a PCB with special chips on it. Still just a disc.

Games are huge in general so I get the price hike, but tell me with a serious face if you don't expect micro transactions to still be a part of it and still call it ok.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I spent up to $150 on sfc games ... as a kid mowing lawns

Some of this wringing of the hands is kind of nuts to me but mtx adds a dimension of reasonability to it

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
I paid $99.99 CAD for the UFC game on Dreamcast on release day. And I think over $100 before tax for FF6. And the dollar wasn't worth nearly what it is now.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I think about it all the time in the context of these discussions. Especially considering the cost of development is much higher.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Game prices fluctuated like crazy back then. I think my friend spent $90 on Turtles in Time which we promptly beat in like a hour. Lol

I was all about buying cheap game boy stuff.

Oct 28, 2017
It was obscene. Part of the reason why Sony ate Nintendo's lunch imo. Would regularly see PlayStation games at $39 and N64 games at $69 or $79.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
mickey's speedway usa was permanently $99 at blockbuster for some reason

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I remember paying a cool $95 for Final Fantasy III on the SNES.

Madness.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Game prices fluctuated like crazy back then. I think my friend spent $90 on Turtles in Time which we promptly beat in like a hour. Lol

I was all about buying cheap game boy stuff.
Holy shit. I'm not one to be like "I should get so many hours out of a game!" but that's pretty ridiculous.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Wasn't that based on the cartridges that Nintendo were using at the time? At least that's superficially understandable as opposed to what's happening now where it's the biggest publishers raising the prices while they're making billions.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Yeah this is why I don't get the butthurt about game prices going up.

"Ugh, we never had to spend $70 on a game." Bro, we paid $80-100 for SNES games on release and liked it. Just admit your parents bought you everything blindly as a kid and go.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
The only time I paid $80 for an N64 game was when I bought WCW vs NWO World Tour from Sears. Every other store (Babbage, EB Games, ToysRUs, and K-B Toys) charged $60 for N64 games but they were all sold out and I Didn't want to wait. Even importing VPW 2 was cheaper.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I think the most I ever spent on a game was WWF War Zone on N64. The game absolutely sucked, but in the summer 1998 there was no bigger game for a teenager.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never saw 80$ snes games, most I saw was 60$

same with n64, carts were always 60$ and discs were 50$

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this is probably why my dad kinda loathed videogames once i started getting into them. he had already delth with having to buy my bro games in the 80's and 90's. when i was growing up games were 50 bucks

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. That's why I only owned like 5 SNES games (including the pack-in) and like 7 N64 games.

And off the top of my head I think most of those were bought used.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely remember paying a lot for SNES games and not a lot at all for PS1 games.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Ridiculous then, especially ridiculous now.

49.99-59.99 USD was the sweet spot if DLC is gonna be normalized, but I expect the "Standalone" DLC to be more prominent to force that extra $30 without the idea that the base game is "incomplete."

Freakylinks

Nov 4, 2017
yep! I remember riding my bike up to walmart and getting street fighter 2 on snes launch day for 76 bucks!

ProtossX

Jul 24, 2020
Yeah remember that giant earthbound SNES box that thing was $80 at funcoland.
WHy are people saying 60 has been around forever I remember those 80 dollar games.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
And about $250 if you wanted that import JRPG 2 years early...

My local mom n pop game shop made a killing buying imports and renting em out $10 bucks a pop for 2 days. They were balling enough to turn it into a mini arcade (newest cabinets, i forget the particular games)

FF7 literally ruined their lives as those games were generally localized quicker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Found this image...

dPYqb.jpg

Crazy how some Genesis games were 2/3 the cost of the entire system. With $100, you could either buy Strider, or an entire Game Boy with a game.

Last edited:

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Street Fighter II (SNES) was $89.99 in 1992.

It was worth it, but my mum complained that the game cost about as much as the console ($99.99 at that point in time)

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I remember being with my mom at Sears, I was really little and just had a PS1 so I thought all games were like $50. Some guy was buying an N64 game and he looked like a sleazy rich guy at the time, ponytail and all, but even he was like "Eighty dollas?! Christ..... what the hell, I'll buy it!" when he was told how much some N64 game was, laughing and looking at people as if we cared. It wasn't till I was a little older where I looked back at that moment and thought "Shit, why was that game so expensive?" lol.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh yeah. Especially since that period is when I played the most RPG's in my gaming life, so awesome when I picked up a PlayStation and most games where I was were only around $40 usd at the time.

Actually brought that up in a real life discussion today about the general increase to $70 usd. I understand it was based on the delivery method of chip versus disc, and I know the companies make a lot more, but everything cost a hell of a lot more to make except ironically the actual delivery method which is still disc, or I am going to assume even cheaper when digital. And one thing those games had over now was sometimes cool packaging but almost always a handy and cool manual. Remember when those were more than a cheap insert with the most basic of button layout and corresponding function?

But at the end of the day while I don't like I don't feel there will be anyway to really change it so fighting it is just a waste of energy, I am actually more thankful it has taken as long as it has for prices to reach that point again. I bet you see less first day sales and more tail end legs based on more people waiting for price drops deals and discounts is all.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Games are huge in general so I get the price hike, but tell me with a serious face if you don't expect micro transactions to still be a part of it and still call it ok.
Difference is game back then weren't made by several hundreds people with motion capture and voice acting. Games like Spider-Man and Demon's Soul probably won't have any MTX

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
N64 is when I started buying my own games and I recall them being 60. I think I'd be willing to pay 70+ for Nintendo games but not many Playstation or Xbox games making that list for me. Hopefully Nintendo stays at 60 for a while.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Not only do I remember, I still have some receipts. There were quite a few games I paid $70 or $80 for. And not just on SNES and N64. Genesis games were like that, too. At least, the big releases; Mortal Kombat 2 & 3, Super Street Fighter, NBA Jam. Even Playstation games were $60 that first year, until the N64 arrived and Sony decided to undercut them at $50, which Nintendo couldn't match.

But if you think living through that makes me feel better about the price hike now, you'd be wrong. It's a very different situation, and much more favorable to publishers now.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I was oblivious to game prices during the SNES/N64 era. But $60-70 sounds like a fair price.

I still struggle with the prices, as I tend to be a cheapo. But, what is your time worth, $10/h? Then 6-7 hours would justify the cost. We easily consume fast food for $10, and it's gone.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

But dev teams were a fraction of the size and generally spent much less time making each game. I think it balances out, games used to be more expensive material costs aside