• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo didn't put much effort into this collection. They were roms running through emulators - and the N64 emu was higher res, and same low frame rate.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Remember the Ambassador Program for 3DS?
We got like 10 games for free (including GBA games!)

Edit : it was actually 20 games, 10 NES games and 10 GBA games

nintendo.fandom.com

Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program

The Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program, is a program that Nintendo launched for the Nintendo 3DS. This program was made by Nintendo in recognition of players who bought the 3DS for $249.99 before the price dropped to $169.99 on August 12, 2011. In order to become an ambassador, players had to log...

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I remember looking forward to this disc more than Wind Waker. Felt really special at the time that they were offering it.

it'll never happen again.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Let's not forget Nintendo giving away 20 downloadable games (10 for NES, 10 for GBA) to early 3DS buyers as part of the "3DS Ambassador" program, as an "oops, our bad" for anyone who bought the 3DS before its first massive price drop. "Free" isn't quite right there, I suppose, since anyone affected basically got the 20 games for paying a freaking $80 premium. Some of those GBA games never got VC launches on the 3DS, so, it wound up being a pretty lucrative giveaway in terms of rarity, at least.

nintendo.fandom.com

Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program

The Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program, is a program that Nintendo launched for the Nintendo 3DS. This program was made by Nintendo in recognition of players who bought the 3DS for $249.99 before the price dropped to $169.99 on August 12, 2011. In order to become an ambassador, players had to log...

lol ninja'ed

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Nintendo only does this kind of thing when they're doing bad.

anyone remembers when they gave away Wii U VC games with those MyNintendo gold coins? the same coins that now rot in your account unless you put them towards your next purchase?

also, remember the deluxe digital promo on the Wii U era and the free game they gave with the purchase of Mario Kart 8 back then?

as long as Nintendo is doing well, these deals cease to exist. we'll see them return when Nintendo gets another Wii U in their hands.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Nintendo didn't put much effort into this collection. They were roms running through emulators - and the N64 emu was higher res, and same low frame rate.

they put more effort than on VC games. those roms had some text and buttons edited specifically to match the GC controller. on VC the roms are straight unedited emulated roms with the same "upgrades" this collection got (at least on Wii)
you could cross out Majora's Mask since it has spotty emulation but the other 3 games run with no problem and as good as the Wii VC releases. just OoT alone for free is a better value than what it cost to buy on VC.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
No.

I mean, Link's Awakening is sixty bucks and will stay that way for years. Great game, but like.... c'mon.

Well, that's kinda the point of my post. That part was a rhetorical question, the fact that Nintendo even did this is pretty nuts

You're expecting them to charge less for a remake of an older game that's been remade from the ground up? It's unrealistic.

Well... Why would Nintendo be "nice" like this when their fans are willing to pay 60 bucks for low budget 1:1 'remakes'.

LOL, "Low budget" remake.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
While great for us, I'd guess more people buying a new system would be more interested in a new game rather than a pack of classics. Total anecdote, but my kids were excited for the new Mario Kart but couldn't give a shiiiiiiiiit for the NES or SNES games that came with Nintendo Online.
N64 games were a lot fresher in 2003 than NES games are today

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo was really desperate to save the GameCube. Which is crazy in retrospect when you realize this is the time period when Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime & Wind Waker released. All classics in the modern era.

But Nintendo definitely released this as a pre-order for Wind Waker too. I had a GameCube at launch yet still had this collection before Wind Waker released. And considering I played the entirety of Mario Sunshine on a black & white 6 inch TV, I'm pretty confident I was given this collection for free lol

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
That's how I finished Majora's Mask. I stil have this disc and Master Quest despite not having a gamecube anymore.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They weren't being generous, they were being desperate. It won't happen on switch because they're doing very well as a company right now.

It happened much more recently on Wii U. With mario kart 8, they gave you a free download of another first party game of your choice for quite a while after launch.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
You're expecting them to charge less for a remake of an older game that's been remade from the ground up? It's unrealistic.

I mean yeah that's not really that crazy. Shadow of the Colossus launched at $40, and the Crash and Spyro trilogies were each sets of THREE full games, fully remade, for $40 per trilogy.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
I may be completely misremembering but didn't that disc also come as a bonus with MarioKart Double Dash? I'm not a Zelda fan but I had that disc somehow.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Genius way to trick people into buying Wind Waker. Desperate Nintendo is really just the worst sometimes.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird. On one hand, they were giving away old games on promo discs and jamming them into Animal Crossing en masse. But on the other, they were selling them for $20 a pop on the GBA. $20 for Ice Climber! In 2004!

lHTkqvR.jpg

A lot of experimentation with the value of retro games in that era. I think they've essentially "settled" on the relative value of an NES game nowadays... obviously with some variation, but they've been roughly $2-5 since the Wii launched.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
I mean yeah that's not really that crazy. Shadow of the Colossus launched at $40, and the Crash and Spyro trilogies were each sets of THREE full games, fully remade, for $40 per trilogy.
To be frank both Crash and Spyro where basically in the trash in terms of relevance so them pricing it was more of making sure to boost the sales and revitalize them and Spyro was a case where they had to price it the same as Crash because it would look weird that one trilogy was $40 and the other $60

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird. On one hand, they were giving away old games on promo discs and jamming them into Animal Crossing en masse. But on the other, they were selling them for $20 a pop on the GBA. $20 for Ice Climber! In 2004!

lHTkqvR.jpg
the joke was on them, I'd already purchased the e-reader version of Ice Climber for a mere $5

and all I had to do to was scan ten barcodes every time I wanted to play it!

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
To be fair old games retained their value a lot less back then. I'm pretty sure second hand copies of all four of these games were actually cheaper in 2003 than they are now.

Aesthetic

Nov 6, 2017
Texas, USA
my dad had bought that disc from a pawnshop for $15 in 2005. I had always wanted to play MM, and that was my chance.

tried to buy MM for N64 but i didnt have a ram expansion so gamestop employee suggested i didnt buy the game.

seady

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 21, 2019
That was before the time of digital distribution and virtual console. We will not see such thing happen ever again except maybe some promotion to give u a download code (of just 1 old game) if you preorder the new game.

Oct 27, 2017
It's so crazy that the cube was $99 like 22 months after launch and had so many good games, and arguably better 3rd party than Wii U would have 12-18 months in but GTA/Halo we're having their moment so the Cube just couldn't turn it around.

Nintendo's marketing is to blame for sure, but they really made some great games (Wind Waker, Paper Mario) and had outright innovative new games (AC, Chibi, Pikmin, MP) and of course RE4.

I still kick myself for not giving the cube a chance 2001-2005

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
When I got my Saturn it came with Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, Daytona USA, a demo disc, and Sega Rally. Kept me busy for a long time as a kid.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019

LOL, "Low budget" remake.

Crash Trilogy, Spyro Trilogy and Shadow of the Colossus were more polished experiences and were sold at 39,99 each, how is it unrealistic? Link's Awakening (2019) on the other hand is a 15 hours long game with barely anything new that manages to run like crap while having a fixed camera and graphics that wouldn't be at all demanding if well optimized, selling it at 59,99 is a mess and fans are to blame for enabling it.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
I remember getting Super Mario All-Stars for free on the SNES. I thinking had to mail in a SNES proof of purchase. Good times.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I remember getting this by pre ordering wind waker. It was the first game I ever pre ordered.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Pretty much.

I remember reading about it in game informer and then going to place my pre-order for Wind Waker and getting it right there and then.

that was AMAZING. I remember thinking I wouldn't get it until Wind Waker came out. The cashier handed it to me and I went home and beat OoT for like the tenth time. Was really missing it since I was a teenager and sold my N64 to get an Xbox and Halo.

OP
OP
Ignis

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Crash Trilogy, Spyro Trilogy and Shadow of the Colossus were more polished experiences and were sold at 39,99 each, how is it unrealistic? Link's Awakening (2019) on the other hand is a 15 hours long game with barely anything new that manages to run like crap while having a fixed camera and graphics that wouldn't be at all demanding if well optimized, selling it at 59,99 is a mess and fans are to blame for enabling it.
👆🏽
Number 1 reason I haven't bought it

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
That was a great disc and was also my first time exploring the Zelda series after Wind Waker got me onboard. If I remember correctly they also chucked the disc-only into copies of Mario Kart Double Dash (at least here in the EU)

I also love that WW itself came with Ocarina of Time + Master Quest as a freebie. Definitely a fun way to treat their library, just a shame they found out that people would pay full price for the GBA versions of Mario games and so these added bonuses came to an end

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Crash and Spyro don't look like full remakes while LA do, this a huge difference
And SotC looks like a remaster