• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is. It's just so cool. Just overpowered Marvel cosmic characters doing overpowered cosmic bullshit. You don't have to worry about shit like "why does Superman need the Justice League?" when everyone is on that level.
And they let Carol drive while they do the important work

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yah, the series is all about the new cosmology post-SW and it is fantastic.
Yes it is. It's just so cool. Just overpowered Marvel cosmic characters doing overpowered cosmic bullshit. You don't have to worry about shit like "why does Superman need the Justice League?" when everyone is on that level.
My list of books keeps growing. So I gotta finish Dawn of X, start Aaron's Thor run & now Ewing's Ultimates. Thanks!

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
My list of books keeps growing. So I gotta finish Dawn of X, start Aaron's Thor run & now Ewing's Ultimates. Thanks!
Like it has just some of the best moments.

The best moments.

theultimates1-2.jpg

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Also for that Blue Marvel love, don't sleep on Mighty Avengers, also by Al Ewing. Has a pretty big line-up. Blue Marvel, Luke Cage, Sam Wilson (as Falcon and later as Captain America), Blade, Monica Rambeau, Jessica Jones, White Tiger, Power Man (Victor Alvarez), Spider-Man, Iron Fist, She-Hulk, Dr Positron (one Blue Marvel's sons, Kevin Brashear)

It got fucked up by events, as is the way of Marvel/ DC comics, and rebooted as Captain America and the Mighty Avengers, again by Al Ewing. Still with Blue Marvel.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
The Black Marvel from the 90s Spider-Man TAS has a similar origin, including the reason for wearing a mask.

Pretty deep for a kids' show

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also for that Blue Marvel love, don't sleep on Mighty Avengers, also by Al Ewing. Has a pretty big line-up. Blue Marvel, Luke Cage, Sam Wilson (as Falcon and later as Captain America), Blade, Monica Rambeau, Jessica Jones, White Tiger, Power Man (Victor Alvarez), Spider-Man, Iron Fist, She-Hulk, Dr Positron (one Blue Marvel's sons, Kevin Brashear)

It got fucked up by events, as is the way of Marvel/ DC comics, and rebooted as Captain America and the Mighty Avengers, again by Al Ewing. Still with Blue Marvel.

I liked seeing Blue Marvel in that context - Ultimates is great, and you do get some conflict later on, but guys like T'Challa and Monica and Brashear are usually on the same page with big problems, big solutions. And he obviously thrives in that context. But it's nice to have the other side of that coin, putting him next to guys like Luke Cage, where you get some natural head-butting. Gave me Icon/Rocket vibes.

That's honestly one of the things I like about Marvel's black heroes - you have a good amount of diversity in age, class, background, nationality. Like, you have Misty Knight (former cop) and Luke Cage (formerly incarcerated) with the same goals but very different paths; I remember Coates played with that a bit in his run on The Crew.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He needs to appear in the MCU. What is Feige's opinion on him?

That's Ultimate Cap, who was written by Mark Millar as a warmongering stooge who said dumb nationalist shit like that.

That's him getting decked by America Chavez, a dimension hopping Latina lesbian who can teleport through the multiverse at will.
She needs to appear in the MCU as well.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia

Damn I'm one of those jumping into the comics as an adult and I wanted get into the recent Avengers runs. Between these two (three?) by Ewing and another with Static Shock, Ms. Marvel, and Deadpool I think, I got a lot of Avengers to read and it all sounds dope!

Last edited:

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
A Blue Marvel movie is the only way I will ever watch another MCU movie in theaters

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I'm one of those jumping into the comics as an adult and I wanted get into the recent Avengers runs. Between these two (three?) by Ewing and another with Static Shock and Deadpool I think, I got a lot of Avengers to read and it all sounds dope!

Blue Marvel doesn't play a big part, but also read Avengers: No Surrender and Avengers: No Road Home. They are relatively recent events within the Avengers on-going, written by Al Ewing, Mark Waid, and Jim Zub, and they are fantastic.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Blue Marvel doesn't play a big part, but also read Avengers: No Surrender and Avengers: No Road Home. They are relatively recent events within the Avengers on-going, written by Al Ewing, Mark Waid, and Jim Zub, and they are fantastic.
Absolutely. Some of my favorite recent stories. He's in No Surrender, though not No Road Home.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Blue Marvel went from "who's this guy" to one of my favorite superheroes of all time. Now Marvel just needs to get him into the films.

Nov 30, 2017
Hence why I have the Avatar. This is my trinity lol. Wish Marvel would do a trinity comic like DC but have them as the trinity

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Blue Marvel also has a reoccurring role in the Doctor Doom solo. Doesn't really do anything superheroic, but no one does since it's Doom centric.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine they had interesting conversations
Mostly comic book science. Aside from superhero and geopolitics, the core of the book is about a black hole on the moon that none of the other super geniuses can figure out how to stop before it swallows Earth.

It's not a Doom/Marvel show, but BM shows up for science and hero stuff. Issue #9 is classic Doom, though.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Blue Marvel is literally one of the best superheroes ever

He has majorly, because Al Ewing fucking loves the Brashear family. Blue Marvel was on the Mighty Avengers and then Captain America and the Mighty Avengers, both by Al Ewing. He was also in Ultimates and Ultimates2, both by Al Ewing. His son, Kevin was a member of the New Avengers by Al Ewing, also known as AIM aka Avengers Idea Mechanics (Roberto Da Costa bought AIM and made them an Avengers organization because he could).

Like when they took on the 1610 Ultimates
Is this one of those stories where his wife spied on him but fell in love with him?