• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Blue Marvel origin was damn good and doesn't get talked about enough
screen-shot-2019-09-03-at-5.22.40-pm.png

blue-marvel-4.jpg

blue-marvel-1-3.jpg

And if you don't think they were not racist enough, they sent a white woman to get close to him
Blue-Marvel-Wife.jpg

Side fact, Blue Marvel is one of the few charactors that could be played by his creator
Kevin Grevioux who also wrote the Underworld series
dbc83f3bdb53f0a84e9af70de0f98526.jpg

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Until all the talk of Monica in Wandavision I had no idea who Blue Marvel was but he seems amazing. Also the photo of the creator, wow that guy is jacked!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is Marvel RFK less supportive of Civil Rights than JFK in this universe? Because in reality it was flipped. JFK didn't want to rock the boat too hard, RFK was the one pushing for him to do more.

Still on brand for the Kennedys though.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, Kevin is has been hitting the gym for decades. You can tell lol.

edit:

Yep.

fa051c9fb49903d3acb20928d59ed144.jpg

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I read that title last year during my years long effort to read all things Marvel from 2000 to current day. I'm up to 2013.

The Blue Marvel comic was pretty thought-provoking and good. What's not so good is that the character was limited to very rare cameos since. He spends his days living in his under water base doing who knows what during Earth shattering events.

I haven't read Marvel stuff past 2013 yet (other than Hickman Avengers) so I don't know if he's come to the forefront since.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I read that title last year during my years long effort to read all things Marvel from 2000 to current day. I'm up to 2013.

The Blue Marvel comic was pretty thought-provoking and good. What's not so good is that the character was limited to very rare cameos since. He spends his days living in his under water base doing who knows what during Earth shattering events.

I haven't read Marvel stuff past 2013 yet (other than Hickman Avengers) so I don't know if he's come to the forefront since.
He's in Al Ewing's Ultimates and it. Is. Awesome.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

Look into Ewing's The Ultimates.
EDIT: Beaten lol The makeup of that team was genius

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is Marvel RFK less supportive of Civil Rights than JFK in this universe? Because in reality it was flipped. JFK didn't want to rock the boat too hard, RFK was the one pushing for him to do more.

Still on brand for the Kennedys though.

That didn't happen until the very end of JFK's term, though - most people credit the meeting with James Baldwin and other black intellectuals as opening Robert's eyes to the larger issues of racism in the US. As Attorney General he was moderate at best, and even then he was totally fine with shadier stuff - he authorized wiretaps and smear campaigns for black leaders he thought went too far.

So it's pretty on-point for 1962 - "we're for civil rights but we don't want anyone getting too uppity about it."

(Side note: I never knew Rip Torn was at that meeting! Good for him but, uhh, not a name I expected to see.)

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Blue Marvel is literally one of the best superheroes ever

He has majorly, because Al Ewing fucking loves the Brashear family. Blue Marvel was on the Mighty Avengers and then Captain America and the Mighty Avengers, both by Al Ewing. He was also in Ultimates and Ultimates2, both by Al Ewing. His son, Kevin was a member of the New Avengers by Al Ewing, also known as AIM aka Avengers Idea Mechanics (Roberto Da Costa bought AIM and made them an Avengers organization because he could).
He's in Al Ewing's Ultimates and it. Is. Awesome.
Look into Ewing's The Ultimates.
EDIT: Beaten lol The makeup of that team was genius
Like when they took on the 1610 Ultimates

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"What if Superman were black in the 60s" is one of the best ideas for a superhero comic you could ask for.

Blue Marvel really needs to be in more stuff. Hell, he needs to be in the MCU.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
OP, what book was that Blue Marvel stuff you posted from? I'm assuming it isn't just Blue Marvel #1? Looks like an interesting read.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Blue Marvel is a fantastic character, and I really hope we get to see him in the MCU sooner rather than later. An Ultimates movie or series with him and Monica would be my jam.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
It would be nice if marvel stopped pulling Sentry into stories and started using Blue Marvel.

As long as he's not just used as a plot device to show how powerful the villain is.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if marvel stopped pulling Sentry into stories and started using Blue Marvel.

As long as he's not just used as a plot device to show how powerful the villain is.
Remember when Sentry did that in Blue Marvel's series. BM chin checked him into orbit around the moon?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
South Africa is the only country to have ever given up nuclear weapons, and that was in part because the racist white apartheid government didn't trust black people with nuclear weapons after ending apartheid.

That seems to be one of the themes here, especially with the "we can't stop him if he gets out of hand" (can you stop any of the other white heroes in the 60s if they get out of hand either, hmm?)

Hopefully Falcon and the Winter Soldier tackles similar themes.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These threads always remind me how I have only barely scratched the surface of Marvel lore.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Wasn't there also a story a few years ago, when falcon took over, some American politicians were asking him to put down the shield because America wouldn't want a black captain America?

Jul 16, 2020

He has majorly, because Al Ewing fucking loves the Brashear family. Blue Marvel was on the Mighty Avengers and then Captain America and the Mighty Avengers, both by Al Ewing. He was also in Ultimates and Ultimates2, both by Al Ewing. His son, Kevin was a member of the New Avengers by Al Ewing, also known as AIM aka Avengers Idea Mechanics (Roberto Da Costa bought AIM and made them an Avengers organization because he could).

That punch is gorgeous.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017

Blue Marvel is an awesome character and his Ultimates Design is one of my favorites. Amazing how much a Vest and Pants helps give a degree of identify-ability to the character. Salt and Pepper hair also goes a long way. I hope he sees an existance in the MCU soon. I know it must be tiring to hear but I see Blue Marvel as having potential to fill a similar role that Black Panther had with the late Chadwick Boseman.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Geez they still havin cap say 'A doesn't stand for France' line

That's Ultimate Cap, who was written by Mark Millar as a warmongering stooge who said dumb nationalist shit like that.

That's him getting decked by America Chavez, a dimension hopping Latina lesbian who can teleport through the multiverse at will.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I haven't read Ultimate Marvel stuff yet, so good to know he shows up in it! (also looking forward to Bendis Spidey)

Do you perhaps have a good list for this?

I first started this marathon by getting a subscription to Marvel Unlimited and following the Marvel guide on Comic Book Herald. But after a while I realised it was missing stuff or the order was sometimes off. So I switched to CMRO's (expanded) guide, which is more comprehensive, but just like CBH is focused on volumes and story arcs, rather than have the reader constantly jump from one title's issue to another for the sake of chronology.

I started this marathon back in 2018, and have enjoyed catching up on a medium I never really got into in my youth. I've really enjoyed the Bendis era that began with Avengers Disassembled all the way up to Siege, but since then the quality has been really uneven. 2012 is the worst year I've read so far, the Avengers vs X-Men event was horrible and character-assasinated a bunch of heroes, and most Marvel titles this year for some reason plummeted in quality. Yeesh. But hey, at least Captain Marvel finally ditched that horrendous stripper outfit, I still can't believe she had it for so long.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read Ultimate Marvel stuff yet, so good to know he shows up in it! (also looking forward to Bendis Spidey)

I first started this marathon by getting a subscription to Marvel Unlimited and following the Marvel guide on Comic Book Herald. But after a while I realised it was missing stuff or the order was sometimes off. So I switched to CMRO's (expanded) guide, which is more comprehensive, but just like CBH is focused on volumes and story arcs, rather than have the reader constantly jump from one title's issue to another for the sake of chronology.

I started this marathon back in 2018, and have enjoyed catching up on a medium I never really got into in my youth. I've really enjoyed the Bendis era that began with Avengers Disassembled all the way up to Siege, but since then the quality has been really uneven. 2012 is the worst year I've read so far, the Avengers vs X-Men event was horrible and character-assasinated a bunch of heroes, and most Marvel titles this year for some reason plummeted in quality. Yeesh. But hey, at least Captain Marvel finally ditched that horrendous stripper outfit, I still can't believe she had it for so long.

Oh no different Ultimates (comics just be like that)

The Ultimate Marvel universe had the Ultimates (their universe's Avengers with their own Cap, Iron Man, etc) and that universe ended in 2015.

After Secret Wars a new Ultimates ongoing written by Al Ewing came out, which was about the mainstream universe heroes Black Panther, Blue Marvel, America Chavez, Captain Marvel and Spectrum (Monica Rambeau, she changes her name a lot) fighting through the multiverse, and one such event was fighting the original Ultimates seen above.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't there also a story a few years ago, when falcon took over, some American politicians were asking him to put down the shield because America wouldn't want a black captain America?
Captain America: Sam Wilson. It was Nick Spencer's run on the character that ran for two years. It was also the same run that resulted in Steve Rogers being Hydra. Barring that last part, Falcon and the Winter Soldier is probably going to borrow from that run.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
So happy to see all the Ultimates love in here. Bless Ewing for trotting out the Brashears whenever he gets the chance.

(I mean, bless Ewing in general but I say that whenever I get the chance)

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Oh no different Ultimates (comics just be like that)

The Ultimate Marvel universe had the Ultimates (their universe's Avengers with their own Cap, Iron Man, etc) and that universe ended in 2015.

After Secret Wars a new Ultimates ongoing written by Al Ewing came out, which was about the mainstream universe heroes Black Panther, Blue Marvel, America Chavez, Captain Marvel and Spectrum (Monica Rambeau, she changes her name a lot) fighting through the multiverse, and one such event was fighting the original Ultimates seen above.

Lol, typical convoluted comic shenanigans. So technically the Ewing Ultimates is in the 616 universe then?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Is this after Secret Wars?

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
There is so much I love about the Al Ewing Ultimates team. Not only did we have BM & Monica. We had America Chavez. Basically a collection of my all-time favorite underrated characters that really deserve more than they get.